Resource SV OU Indigo Disk Viability Ranking Thread

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader

art drawn + thread run by ausma | VR concept credit goes to PK Gaming
Welcome to the Scarlet and Violet Overused viability rankings, Indigo Disk edition!

In this thread, we, as a community, will be ranking every single justifiably usable Pokemon into "tiers" ranking their viability in the metagame. You're encouraged to post your thoughts and opinions on the various Pokemon that are viable in OU and what tier they should fall under. Posts in this thread will be taken into account when deciding rank changes, but the ultimate decision will be handled by OU Viability Rankings council vote during each slate of rankings!

The general idea of the topic is to rank each OU Pokemon under "rankings" that go in descending order. Since this is a tier list for the entire metagame, everything is lumped together. There won't be any segregation between offense, defense, and supportive presences in the metagame within this thread. For example, Cinderace can be ranked in the A- tier as a supportive presence, Walking Wake can be ranked in the A- as an offensive presence, and Dondozo can be ranked in the A- tier as a defensive presence.

Finally, there will be a council of experienced players who will discuss and vote on the ranking of Pokemon. Depending on how the metagame is developing, we could update the thread every couple of weeks or every month+. Please note that your posts still very much matter and will be factored in to what we discuss and the discussions themselves. This thread is nothing without the posters and every informed opinion that is shared is considered a valuable contribution in my eyes, so do not hesitate to post if you know the metagame well and understand the forum rules. The council will consist of the following users:

:keldeo:airfare
:hatterene:ausma
:garchomp:Finchinator
:shedinja:Highv0ltag3
:mawile-mega:kd458
:latias:Lily
:mimikyu:Mimikyu Stardust
:weavile:njnp
:nidoking:Ruft
:altaria-mega:Sp0oN1oRd
:samurott-hisui:Srn
:chi-yu:TPP
:darkrai:veti
:flutter-mane:viivian

S Rank

S Rank

Dragapult
Great Tusk
Kingambit

A Rank

A+ Rank

Gholdengo
Gliscor
Kyurem
Landorus-Therian
Ogerpon-Wellspring
Raging Bolt
Roaring Moon
Slowking-Galar
Volcarona
Zamazenta-Hero

A Rank

Alomomola
Darkrai
Dragonite
Garganacl
Glimmora
Gouging Fire
Hatterene
Iron Valiant
Primarina
Rillaboom
Samurott-Hisui
Ting-Lu
Weavile

A- Rank

Clefable
Deoxys-Speed
Dondozo
Enamorus
Iron Moth
Iron Treads
Meowscarada
Skeledirge
Torkoal
Walking Wake

B Rank

B+ Rank

Cinderace
Clodsire
Corviknight
Heatran
Iron Boulder
Iron Crown
Ogerpon
Ogerpon-Cornerstone
Rotom-Wash
Serperior
Skarmory
Ursaluna

B Rank

Barraskewda
Blaziken
Excadrill
Greninja
Hawlucha
Hydrapple
Keldeo
Latias
Latios
Lilligant-Hisui
Manaphy
Ninetales-Alola
Pelipper
Ribombee
Scizor
Tyranitar
Volcanion
Zapdos

B- Rank

Blissey
Garchomp
Hoopa-Unbound
Moltres
Sinistcha
Tinkaton
Tornadus-Therian
Toxapex
Weezing-Galar

C Rank

C+ Rank

Amoonguss
Ceruledge
Cresselia
Enamorus-Therian
Mandibuzz
Maushold
Venusaur

C Rank

Azumarill
Comfey
Grimmsnarl
Indeedee
Iron Hands
Kingdra
Mamoswine
Moltres-Galar
Necrozma
Pecharunt
Polteageist
Reuniclus
Sandy Shocks
Scream Tail
Suicune

D Rank

D Rank

Arcanine-Hisui
Basculegion
Breloom
Goodra-Hisui
Hippowdon
Hydreigon
Iron Jugulis
Kommo-o
Milotic
Muk
Pincurchin
Quaquaval
Smeargle
Talonflame
Thundurus-Therian
Wo-Chien
Zarude[/USER]

Last edited:

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Additions:

:comfey: UR to B-
:hippowdon: UR to D
:pecharunt: UR to C
:pincurchin: UR to D
:talonflame: UR to D

Rises:

:great-tusk: S- to S
:archaludon: A to A+
:pelipper: A to A+
:volcarona: A to A+
:barraskewda: A- to A+
:landorus-therian: A- to A
:ogerpon-wellspring: A- to A
:rillaboom: A- to A
:torkoal: A- to A
:dragonite: B+ to A-
:iron-treads: B+ to A
:primarina: B+ to A
:alomomola: B to A-
:garganacl: B to A-
:hawlucha: B to B+
:heatran: B to A-
:iron-moth: B to B+
:lilligant-hisui: C to B
:ribombee: C to C+
:quaquaval: D to C
:scream-tail: D to C
:suicune: D to C
:zarude: D to C

Drops:

:gholdengo: S- to A+
:gliscor: S- to A+
:kyurem: S- to A+
:gouging-fire: A+ to A
:meowscarada: A+ to A-
:iron-boulder: A to B+
:samurott-hisui: A to A-
:cinderace: A- to B+
:darkrai: A- to B+
:dondozo: A- to B+
:serperior: A- to B+
:toxapex: B+ to B
:amoonguss: B to C+
:latios: B to B-
:venusaur: B to B-
:zapdos: B to B-
:hoopa-unbound: B- to C+
:kingdra: B- to C+
:ogerpon-cornerstone: B- to C+
:deoxys-defense: C+ to D
:indeedee: C+ to C
:milotic: C+ to D
:necrozma: C+ to C
:ogerpon: C+ to C
:weezing-galar: C+ to C
:smeargle: C+ to D
:iron-jugulis: C+ to D
:moltres-galar: C+ to D
:azumarill: C to D
:basculegion: C to D
:breloom: C to D
:muk-alola: C to UR
:sinistcha: C to D
:thundurus-therian: C to D
:tinkaton: C to D
Additions:

:hydreigon: UR to D
:muk: UR to D
:wo-chien: UR to D

Rises:

:dragapult: S- to S
:landorus-therian: A to A+
:ogerpon-wellspring: A to A+
:zamazenta: A to A+
:alomomola: A- to A
:dragonite: A- to A
:garganacl: A- to A
:glimmora: A- to A
:iron-valiant: A- to A
:samurott-hisui: A- to A
:darkrai: B+ to A
:dondozo: B+ to A-
:iron-moth: B+ to A-
:rotom-wash: B to B+
:ursaluna: B to B+
:iron-crown: B- to B+
:latios: B- to B
:tyranitar: B- to B
:volcanion: B- to B
:zapdos: B- to B
:blissey: C+ to B-
:hoopa-unbound: C+ to B-
:moltres: C+ to B-
:ogerpon-cornerstone: C+ to B+
:ribombee: C+ to B
:ceruledge: C to C+
:cresselia: C to C+
:mandibuzz: C to C+
:maushold: C to C+
:ogerpon: C to B+
:weezing-galar: C to B-
:azumarill: D to C
:moltres-galar: D to C
:sinistcha: D to B-
:thundurus-therian: D to C
:tinkaton: D to B-

Drops:

:barraskewda: A+ to B
:pelipper: A+ to B
:ting-lu: A+ to A
:deoxys-speed: A to A-
:enamorus: A to A-
:iron-treads: A to A-
:torkoal: A to A-
:walking-wake: A to A-
:heatran: A- to B+
:greninja: B+ to B
:hawlucha: B+ to B
:latias: B+ to B
:tornadus-therian: B+ to B-
:toxapex: B to B-
:comfey: B- to C
:venusaur: B- to C+
:kingdra: C+ to C
:quaquaval: C to D
:zarude: C to D
:cinccino: D to UR
:deoxys-defense: D to UR
:empoleon: D to UR
:tentacruel: D to UR

Last edited:

ausma

token smogon furry
OU Forum Leader
Hello everyone, it's great to be back! It's been a pretty wild and fun metagame thus far, and with it there's a lot of uncertainty around what's top dog and what is falling off, especially with so much to account for in general. As usual I will have questions open for 24 hours and I (or other council members) will respond whenever possible!

Here's a reminder to check if your question has already been answered before asking it. Thanks!

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor
Wait, where is gholdengo? I can't see it on the tier list.
in ubers. god bless the OU council

on a more serious note, why is ribombee in the C ranks? besides serperior i cant see much that would be a sizable nerf to sticky web as a playstyle. and as a setter ribombee is much faster than galvantula and definitely has its merits over smeargle. so whats keeping it down?

FayaWizard

Amnesia
is an official Team Rater
in ubers. god bless the OU council

on a more serious note, why is ribombee in the C ranks? besides serperior i cant see much that would be a sizable nerf to sticky web as a playstyle. and as a setter ribombee is much faster than galvantula and definitely has its merits over smeargle. so whats keeping it down?
I would guess it's the horrible matchup into Deo-S, which completely shuts it down with Taunt, the rise in Hatterene usage, and a general decline in HO usage.

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
why is deoxys-defense in the c+ tier? haven’t really seen it do much of note. is cosmic power + tera just that silly?

also a lot of people have been saying waterpon fell off hard. is its ability to destroy balance and just be a crazy good breaker keeping it higher up?

ausma

token smogon furry
OU Forum Leader
It's all good. I was guessing it was just an error. Just wondering, but why is quaquaval only D rank? I feel like it has a better niche over something like muk alola, though I do love my grimy boi.
quaq has a niche but frankly the 4mss is just so bad. it wants rapid spin, setup, roost, coverage, and both of its stabs but unfortunately it can't fit everything which means you have to make some serious concessions that force it to need a lot of support to get the value you'd want out of it. the fact it's a spinner that struggles into the tier's main spinblockers (pult and dengo) is also pretty rough and is part of why 4mss stings it so hard. muk comparatively has a defensive profile and easy-progress making options that give it more applicable value and make it require less support to do what you want it to do

hatterene limits it a lot without skill swap whereas smeargle can still layer against it with moves like stone axe and ceaseless edge and also has its own removal to counterlead. as a lead smeargle does more and compresses more utility which makes it more desirable when you want to round off your sticky web teams with more beneficiaries in general. smeargle is a setter that is more desirable atp imo but ribombee definitely has a niche because of its speed tier to blank the axelers and the dragon darts immunity to get them up vs pult. i can see things tipping toward ribombee as things settle for sure

that being said the playstyle is just generally suffering right now and isn't as consistent as in dlc1, with many of the new move additions and new pokemon providing offense additional options into it which is why both smeargle and ribombee are kinda low regardless of competition with one another.

why is deoxys-defense in the c+ tier? haven’t really seen it do much of note. is cosmic power + tera just that silly?
cosmic power + taunt + night shade variants give it winning power which is why it's ranked as high as it is at all, but aside from that, as a wall it is given a bit of a niche because of its utility (namely knock/spikes), access to recovery, and its speed tier in tandem, though it is overall outclassed by gliscor

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor
also a lot of people have been saying waterpon fell off hard. is its ability to destroy balance and just be a crazy good breaker keeping it higher up?
yep, ogerpon is still really good as a wallbreaker (especially given how common stall/balance is in the current meta) but the uptick in strong, bulky dragon types added in this DLC seriously harms her viability. shes usually forced to run play rough/low kick to not get walled by pokemon like archaludon, kyurem and the occasional hydrapple, which kills off a lot of the set versatility she had in DLC1

This is probably a dumb question but what’s Primarina doing in OU and so high up? Did it get some buff that I didn’t see? I’m not complaining I just haven’t seen people mention it before and idk what it does in this meta

art drawn + thread run by ausma | VR concept credit goes to PK Gaming
Welcome to the Scarlet and Violet Overused viability rankings, Indigo Disk edition!

In this thread, we, as a community, will be ranking every single justifiably usable Pokemon into "tiers" ranking their viability in the metagame. You're encouraged to post your thoughts and opinions on the various Pokemon that are viable in OU and what tier they should fall under. Posts in this thread will be taken into account when deciding rank changes, but the ultimate decision will be handled by OU Viability Rankings council vote during each slate of rankings!

The general idea of the topic is to rank each OU Pokemon under "rankings" that go in descending order. Since this is a tier list for the entire metagame, everything is lumped together. There won't be any segregation between offense, defense, and supportive presences in the metagame within this thread. For example, Cinderace can be ranked in the A- tier as a supportive presence, Walking Wake can be ranked in the A- as an offensive presence, and Dondozo can be ranked in the A- tier as a defensive presence.

Finally, there will be a council of experienced players who will discuss and vote on the ranking of Pokemon. Depending on how the metagame is developing, we could update the thread every couple of weeks or every month+. Please note that your posts still very much matter and will be factored in to what we discuss and the discussions themselves. This thread is nothing without the posters and every informed opinion that is shared is considered a valuable contribution in my eyes, so do not hesitate to post if you know the metagame well and understand the forum rules. The council will consist of the following users:

S Rank

S Rank

Kingambit

S- Rank

Dragapult
Gholdengo
Gliscor
Great Tusk
Kyurem

A Rank

A+ Rank

Gouging Fire
Meowscarada
Raging Bolt
Roaring Moon
Slowking-Galar
Ting-Lu

A Rank

Archaludon
Deoxys-Speed
Enamorus
Hatterene
Iron Boulder
Pelipper
Samurott-Hisui
Skarmory
Volcarona
Walking Wake
Weavile
Zamazenta-Hero

A- Rank

Barraskewda
Cinderace
Clefable
Darkrai
Dondozo
Glimmora
Iron Valiant
Landorus-Therian
Ogerpon-Wellspring
Rillaboom
Serperior
Skeledirge
Torkoal

B Rank

B+ Rank

Clodsire
Corviknight
Dragonite
Greninja
Iron Treads
Latias
Primarina
Tornadus-Therian
Toxapex

B Rank

Alomomola
Amoonguss
Blaziken
Excadrill
Garganacl
Hawlucha
Heatran
Hydrapple
Iron Moth
Keldeo
Latios
Manaphy
Ninetales-Alola
Rotom-Wash
Scizor
Ursaluna
Venusaur
Zapdos

B- Rank

Garchomp
Hoopa-Unbound
Iron Crown
Kingdra
Ogerpon-Cornerstone
Tyranitar
Volcanion

C Rank

C+ Rank

Blissey
Deoxys-Defense
Enamorus-Therian
Indeedee
Milotic
Moltres
Necrozma
Ogerpon
Weezing-Galar
Smeargle
Iron Jugulis
Moltres-Galar

C Rank

Azumarill
Basculegion
Breloom
Ceruledge
Cresselia
Iron Hands
Lilligant-Hisui
Mamoswine
Mandibuzz
Maushold
Muk-Alola
Polteageist
Reuniclus
Ribombee
Sandy Shocks
Sinistcha
Thundurus-Therian
Tinkaton
Grimmsnarl

D Rank

D Rank

Arcanine-Hisui
Cinccino
Empoleon
Goodra-Hisui
Kommo-o
Quaquaval
Scream Tail
Tentacruel
Suicune
Zarude
I thought I would never see the day Latias surpassed Latios, but it has finally happened, another banger from the SV OU Metagame

This is probably a dumb question but what’s Primarina doing in OU and so high up? Did it get some buff that I didn’t see? I’m not complaining I just haven’t seen people mention it before and idk what it does in this meta
Very good special bulk, combined with an excellent typing both defensively and offensively (especially into all the dragons) + a pivot move in flip turn.

Why is dragonite all the way down in B+?

Why is Walking Wake A rank now and not lower?

Why is Darkrai A- and not higher?

Edit: also why is Valiant only A- on that note
Dragonite struggles into Kyurem, Gliscor and Skarmory which were not in OU before the DLC2 update. It also gets owned by Meowscarada, since it gained triple axel, and hated Weavile´s rise in popularity. Also Darkrai and Deo-S sometimes run Ice Beam.

Walking Wake is good now because Sun became good. With Roaring Moon coming back, Hatterene being a solid anti-hazard option in the face of Gliscor and Deo-S, as well as the addition of Gouging Fire and Raging Bolt, Sun became a lot better. It also takes advantage of opposing Rain becoming viable due to Archaludon´s addition.

Darkrai is hard to justify over Weavile or Meowscarada on balance or bulkier teams. It fits mostly on Hyper Offense and Bulky Offense, where it often has to get predicts right and not miss Hypnosis/Focus Blast

Valiant is simply outsped by Iron Boulder and hit super effectively by zen headbutt. It also hates Volcarona coming back since it walls it like nothing else does.

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor
I thought I would never see the day Latias surpassed Latios, but it has finally happened, another banger from the SV OU Metagame
technically mega latias was better than mega latios during SM but this is the first time base form latias eclipses base form latios in viability which is pretty impressive. then again double dance stored power latias w/ tera is no joke so i cant say im too surprised shes so high

what does tornadus therian do to be in B+?
same thing it did in DLC1, harass switch-ins with knock off and u-turn. it can also function as a potent NP sweeper on rain teams but the pivot set is overall the best and most splashable tornadus-T set for the same reasons as always

ausma

token smogon furry
OU Forum Leader
Very good special bulk, combined with an excellent typing both defensively and offensively (especially into all the dragons) + a pivot move in flip turn.
cm is also a potent win condition and psychic noise with liquid voice is a decently disruptive option to make progress throughout the game. and yes av is alright too but i personally rate cm higher

what does tornadus therian do to be in B+?
av is pretty damn good rn imo and its speed tier/resistance profile in tandem w/ regen is just generally neat for buffering a lot of mons in the metagame, and knock/u-turn off of torn are never not useful.

technically mega latias was better than mega latios during SM but this is the first time base form latias eclipses base form latios in viability which is pretty impressive. then again double dance stored power latias w/ tera is no joke so i cant say im too surprised shes so high
i wanna mention for a sec that she also surprisingly eclipsed base latios in oras(latios dropped all the way to B+ while latias rose all the way to A), but yea those double dance sets are insane this gen and she could always run classic scarf hwish for the most part too which is still quite amazing still

Honestly surprised that Gouging Fire is only A+, feels like an S- threat to me for the bulky sets as well as the sweeper sets providing strong set variety and how easy this mon to fit outside of stall, why is it A+ and not S-?

Also Toxapex and Landorus-T feel a too high on the VR, as honestly they still have the same prominent problems they did last dlc, why do they rank so high?

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I’m puzzled with the Lando-T placement. What set is it running that has propelled it to A- tier?

Ursaluna being in the B ranks surprise me. With how common Skarm is on Balance builds and how vulnerable to hazards it is, what is the reasoning of this placement?

Also Toxapex and Landorus-T feel a too high on the VR, as honestly they still have the same prominent problems they did last dlc, why do they rank so high?
For Lando specifically, it works as great blanket check for the new and returning threats like gf, rb, ib and exca while being ok into things like gambit and being able to force them out with a strong eq. Better special bulk, stronger eqs, Intimidate and spikes immunity are its bonuses over great tusk as a do-it-all ground mon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 7)