Sunny Day Singles Team

Introduction

This is my first team in here, so I hope I can explain things right. When I started playing competitive Pokemon, my first team was UU Sunny Day. I had pretty much no idea what I was doing and only one of my team members had Chlorophyll.

Now I wanted to test Sunny Day again and so I made this team. I had some test battles yesterday and the team was pretty successful. I faced some problems, but I will talk about them a bit later.

Team members

Jumpluff@ Heat Rock
Ability: Chlorophyll
Nature: Jolly (+Speed -SpAtk)
EV: 252 Hp / 252 Speed / 4 Atk

- Sleep Powder
- Sunny Day
- U-turn
- Encore

First, Jumpluff wants to put the opponent to sleep and then put up a Sunny Day. U-turn gives me a save switch if the opponent is going to switch too. If the opponent starts to some kind of set up moves, I can switch in Jumpluff and Encore them. Then I'm able to set up a Sunny Day again. Max EVs in Speed and Hp so I'm able to outspeed most of the opponents and take some resisted attacks.

Aromatherapy could be a good choice instead of U-turn...

Regirock@ Heat Rock
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Careful (+SpDef -SpAtk)
EV: 252 Hp / 36 Def / 220 SpDef

- Sunny Day
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Regirock is also able to set up a Sunny Day and on top of that, he can use Stealth Rock. Stone Edge is used against Flying enemies, such as Altaria or Mantine. Explosion is the last resort move, when all the hope is lost.

Sunny Day + Careful + Special Defence EVs = Regirock is able to take some Water type attacks and live.

I could use Claydol instead of Regirock, then I would get Rapid Spin to get rid of the enemy Stealth Rock.

Exeggutor@ Life Orb
Nature: Modest (+SpAtk -Atk)
EV: 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed / 4 Hp

- Psychic
- Solarbeam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder

Solarbeam and Hidden Power Fire are the main moves of this guy. Solarbeam hits everything hard if they don't resist it. Hidden Power Fire will take down Steel-, Ice- and Grass-type opponents. Psychic is used against Poison-types and opponents who resist Solarbeam. Sleep Powder gives Exeggutor more time to sweep and it gets rid of the Sucker Punching opponents. Max EVs in Speed and Special Attack so I can outspeed as much as I can and deal maximum damage.

This team is really weak to Flying-type, should I use Ancientpower instead of Psychic?

Tangrowth@ Leftovers
Nature: Adamant (+Atk -SpAtk)
EV: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def

- Earthquake
- Power Whip
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Really physically offensive Tangrowth, who is ready for business after one Swords Dance. This moveset gives Tangrowth a pretty good type coverage, pretty simple. I'm using Leftovers instead of Life Orb, because I want to stay alive while I'm set upping. Max EVs in Attack and Speed for outspeeding and dealing damage.

Morning Sun or Sleep Powder could be also pretty good choices, but then I won't have my good type coverage anymore.

Slowking@ Heat Rock
Ability: Own Tempo
Nature: Calm (+spDef -Atk)
EV: 252 Hp / 200 SpDef / 56 SpAtk

- Sunny Day
- Thunder Wave
- Light Screen
- Ice Beam

Ice-type moves are really effective against most of my guys and that's why Slowking comes in. He is able to set up Sunny Day and Light Screen, as well as paralyzing the opponent. Ice Beam is used agaist Flying-type enemies. Max EVs in Hp so I can support my team longer. I invested some EVs on Special Attack so I could deal with those Flying-types using Ice Beam. Rest of the EVs in Special Defence.

Slowbro could be a better choice, because it would also take Ice-type attacks pretty well. If my opponent is going to use Fighting-type attack agaist my Regirock, I could switch to my Slowbro and take the hit.

Arcanine@ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Hasty (+Speed -Def)
EV: 252 Speed / 252 SpAtk / 4 Atk

- Extremespeed
- Flamethrower
- Solarbeam
- Morning Sun

If the opponent likes to put my Grass-types on fire, Arcanine's Flash Fire will absorb those moves. Flamethrower and Solarbeam are the main moves, Extremespeed is for finishing faster opponents. Morning Sun will heal the Life Orb recoil damages. Max EVs in Special Attack and Speed for outspeeding and dealing damage. 4 EVs in Attack for Extremespeed.

I think this guy also needs some improvements. When the opponent sends out a Fire-type, I can't do anything against it...

Analyze

- Claydol could be a better option than Regirock, Rapid Spin is always good
- Flying-type opponents are a big problem, as well as Ice-type attacks
- While I was having some test battles, I faced a Rain Dance Team. Ludicolo was impossible to beat
- SubPunchers were also a big problem, I couldn't switch anything in to take the hit

Final words

This is my first proper weather team, so I don't know all the stuff yet. I really appreciate your help, I really want to get this team working.

Claydol could be a better option than Regirock, Rapid Spin is always good.

Most of the time, you will be more concerned about your sun and most likely not have an opportunity to rapid spin.

This team looks good and deserves more rates, so here's mine.

I would highly recommend running Shiftry over Tangrowth. With access to Sucker Punch, it can be useful in dealing with fast threats, and rain teams to some extent. This set works well in patching up your teams weaknesses.

Shiftry@Life Orb
Adamant - 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~ Swords Dance
~ Sucker Punch
~ Seed Bomb
~ Low Kick

Similar to Tangrowth, but with less bulk but better attacks. After a Swords Dance, Shiftry is deadly. STAB Sucker Punch coming of 656 attack hurts. Seed Bomb is anther good STAB and Low Kick covers Registeel.

Another Pokemon that would fit perfectly onto your team is Hitmontop.

Hitmontop@Heat Rock
Impish - 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
~Close Combat
~Stone Edge
~Mach Punch / Sucker Punch / Rapid Spin
~Sunny Day

I would run Hitmontop over Slowking, as his intimidate ability will make Sub Punchers much less deadly if it switches in before they can get a sub up. It can use Stone Edge to eliminate fliers such as Moltres, Mantine and Altaria, and STAB Fighting attacks make mincemeat of Ice Types and Houndoom. Also, it can beat Clefable, who would otherwise give your team real issues. Rapid Spin is another nice perk of running Hitmontop, as Jumpluff and Arcanine are SR weak.

I would keep Regirock over Claydol, because although Sunny Day teams are notoriously SR weak, Regirock is a solid counter to Flash Fire Arcanine, who once your own Arcanine is gone, will destroy your team. Another selling point of Regirock is that Explosion is a great way to get Sunny Day sweepers in for free. If you feel the need to run Rapid Spin, the aforementioned Hitmontop set is your best bet.

I hope this rate is helpful and good luck in UU!

Thanks for your help, Alexa888!

Shiftry is much faster than Tangrowth and the moveset you suggested looks pretty solid. But my team is weak against Fire- and Flying-type opponents and Tangrowth was able to deal with those using Earthquake and Rock Slide. I don't think that I can beat all the Fire/Flying opponents using Sucker Punch with Shiftry...

I also thought that Hitmontop could be useful, but because of his Flying-weakness I didn't choose him earlier. I need to test him when I have time to have battles next time.

Perhaps Rock Slide over Stone Edge for Regirock for SubRoost Moltres / Articuno.
Perhaps Psychic or Fire Blast over Thunder Wave will benefit the team more, as setting up Sunny Day is the superior option whenever you use Slowking. Also, Slack Off could be considered over Light Screen to help Slowking's survivability.

Consider a +Speed nature for Eggy to outspeed Adamant Scarf Heracross to slam it with Psychic... Scarf Heracross tears your team apart... Megahorns everywhere and boom CC to Regirock and Arcanine.

Shiftry is rather Heracross bait, but that's physical Shiftry. Nasty Plot Shiftry easily outspeeds Timid Scarf Rotom (fastest common scarfer) Moltres and Heracross, and decimates them with SolarBeam HP Fire and Dark Pulse.

Houndoom deals with Fire types better with Dark Pulse / HP Rock and also has access to Sucker Punch, Fire Blast, Nasty Plot etc but it doesn't resist Bug...

Perhaps Rock Slide over Stone Edge for Regirock for SubRoost Moltres / Articuno.
Perhaps Psychic or Fire Blast over Thunder Wave will benefit the team more, as setting up Sunny Day is the superior option whenever you use Slowking. Also, Slack Off could be considered over Light Screen to help Slowking's survivability.

Consider a +Speed nature for Eggy to outspeed Adamant Scarf Heracross to slam it with Psychic... Scarf Heracross tears your team apart... Megahorns everywhere and boom CC to Regirock and Arcanine.

Shiftry is rather Heracross bait, but that's physical Shiftry. Nasty Plot Shiftry easily outspeeds Timid Scarf Rotom (fastest common scarfer) Moltres and Heracross, and decimates them with SolarBeam HP Fire and Dark Pulse.

Houndoom deals with Fire types better with Dark Pulse / HP Rock and also has access to Sucker Punch, Fire Blast, Nasty Plot etc but it doesn't resist Bug...
I will replace Regirock's Stone Edge with Rock Slide.

I had no idea that Heracross could be so devastating, I will use +Speed nature in the future.

Are you saying that I should use Houndoom instead of Arcanine? I need to try it.

I don't think that I've room for Special Shiftry now, I don't want to replace Exeggutor.

On Slowking, couldn't HP Ice be used over Light Screen to care for those tender Tropius, Pidgeot, or whatever creatures from the Black Airport that have emerged to kill your team? And if you have Slowking, shouldn't Trick Room be in here somewhere? Or would that over-load the team's set-up gauge?

Whoops.

well if i were you i could take a registeel or skarmory in the defensive wall, it could suit better

^ skarm is OU and running steels on a sunny team isn't always the best idea seeing as all fire moves are increased in power

i like the hitmontop idea. you really don't have a great way of dealing with clefable atm

Thanks for your help, Alexa888!

Shiftry is much faster than Tangrowth and the moveset you suggested looks pretty solid. But my team is weak against Fire- and Flying-type opponents and Tangrowth was able to deal with those using Earthquake and Rock Slide. I don't think that I can beat all the Fire/Flying opponents using Sucker Punch with Shiftry...

I also thought that Hitmontop could be useful, but because of his Flying-weakness I didn't choose him earlier. I need to test him when I have time to have battles next time.

Shiftry's Nature Power turns into EQ, so it's on par with Tangrowth's EQ and can go over Low Kick. Swords Dance can be replaced by Growth, and Shiftry can use Hidden Power Rock over Sucker Punch, which is comparable to the power of Rock Slide. Shiftry is now like a faster Tangrowth... Good luck!

Arcanine really wants Hidden Power Rock. I'd probably put it over Solarbeam to be honest. You have him in there for Flash Fire, so absorb fire attacks aimed at your Chlorophyll sweepers. How often is Solarbeam going to be the attack of choice against things using fire type attacks? Giving him HP Rock lets you hit fire types for super effective damage (not to mention especially shitting ALL OVER Moltres) but it also gives you another super effective move against all those flying types you said that your team is weak to.

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showthread.php?t=47012

That thread is somewhere on Smogon, too.

I just wanted to post that here, because my initial reaction was "Woah, this is so much like this team!"

That's not to take away from your team at all, nor am I making any accusation that this is a somewhat copied team. In fact, I wish to call to everyone's attention how effective a team like this can be.

All-in-all, I can only say that this is a solid line-up, and congratulate you on assembling a decent UU sunshine team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)