Checkmater: plz
KyleCole: no
KyleCole: NO
[6:51:43 PM] Kyle Huang: rip
[6:51:50 PM] shaian: do it anyway
[6:51:53 PM] shaian: fuck authority

Shaian is my hero
too bad my post was kill

So I made this team a little way back using jirachi raichu azu http://pastebin.com/HRG66uTK with azelf gengar-mega and talon, and it was decently successful, but when I was using it I noticed that the azu core kind of made diancie/landot/heatran (common threats to sun) feel like absolute free wins and that the core had issues with things like aegislash and taunt users. I noticed that raichu's lightning rod had good synergy with char y and that the azu core had an absolute excellent matchup vs most variants of fullroom (it's incredibly easy to get a bd off) which I felt has always been a rather large weakness of sun teams. Azu core seemed to struggle a bit against ludicolo rain and especially featuring specs toed. The obvious next step was the combine the two, giving us the basis for our team:

Starting Base

While the Azu/Char Y seems rather anti-synergistic, Char Y also is very good vs Azumarill's checks/counters such as grasses (Amoonguss) and aegis is rather annoying for Azumarill. Jirachi Zard Y is also a combo I've been meaning to try for a while, as jirachi is immensely powerful vs things like Diancie and Kang which are good at keeping char y down.

The key issue with the team at this point was talon being able to support a sweep with another mon and also tailwind sac first turn into a diancie+sharp or diancie+jirachi sweep is another definite threat, which I think I'd kind of have to just sac things vs. In general, the issue seems to be speed boosted diancie and/or talon lategame sweep after raichu char y and azu are down, or talon combined with something like diancie which is good at keeping those things down. I feel it's a little hard to talk about specific ways teams are threatened due to doubles being more complex but these threats I just mentioned seemed to be rather big to me. In general what I wanted was a better talon check other than relying on raichu mindgames/volt switch to keep it down. Obviously I could ajet it with raichu redirection (which would go before flare blitz) but this also felt rather nebulous.

Team Member #6

After some discussion with Hashtag I chose to test out Aerodactyl as both a good talon check but also as a mon with good offensive pressure. The set I settled on was

FUCK TALON (Aerodactyl) @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Wide Guard
- Taunt
- Tailwind

to help vs Diancie and to provide some speed control and utility to the team. After testing out aero for a while, I eventually scrapped it for being too passive in general, and, since switching doesn't really feel very good for this team I scrapped it. Aero felt really bad in certain matchups such as defensive teams and also was free momentum for things such as kang and even diancie (having wide guard doesn't necessarily help the mu). Also, aero hurt my landot matchup, especially vs stone edge landot, and my aegis matchup. I eventually ended up scrapping Aero for these reasons, since Mega-Aero felt weak already in a meta that's moved away from skymin HO (with skymin being banned lol) and losing the essential speed to snipe adamant scarf landot didn't feel good.

Team Member #6

Since my team was rather afraid of bisharp+diancie and also of diancie and talon, I tried to use Washtom. Since I was also rather afraid of diancie amoonguss I settled on this set:

Never Hits (Rotom-Wash) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 128 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

(defensive distribution could be optimized idk)

which seemed to fit everything I needed. However, I also scrapped this due to a few reasons being that Washtom felt too passive on a team with 2 support mons already, and that it was anti-synergistic with Raichu and Char Y, while, in addition, being a passive check to talon and being a momentum suck in many situations.

Team Member #6

Deo-A was just a random idea I had really, as I felt that being able to outpriority a weakened talonburd and espeed it would be valuable rather than trying to defensively check it. Also I found that I needed more/better landot checks as landot lategame was capable of putting enormous pressure on the team. Deo-A also fit the HO vein of the team much better. The set I chose, rather than life orb, was focus sash, and I wanted to be able to tank a brave bird and hit back and also because I felt that chip weather as an archtype is relatively less popular. Also I liked being able to offensively check things like diancie rather than letting it move and then killing it (such as washtom) would left me susceptible to Diancie's partner. Since I felt rather well prepared for aegis at this point, I chose superpower>knock off for keeping down heatran.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Protect

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Protect

Raichu @ Air Balloon
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Volt Switch
- Encore
- Feint

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 104 SpD / 152 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Follow Me
- Protect

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Energy Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed
- Protect

Role Explanations, I already kind of did this in above but I thought I might as well include a seperate section on what each mon does:

Char Y:
Kills Steels, and in general deals very well with those bulky attackers the azu core hates

Azumarill:
Megabus sweeper that gets supported by Jirachi and Raichu

Jirachi:
Jirachi Char Y is cool and so is Jirachi Azu. In general it's a good director with a good mu vs kang, and also provides flinches

Raichu:
Supporting pivot set. I considered eject button but have yet to test that. I imagine it might be really bad when I want to bring it in and can't though.

Venusaur:
Chlorophyll attacker that works well with sun. Has good matchup vs waters and completes fwg core

Deo-A:
Fast attacker. Landot pressurer. Capable of killing a talon after it's been weakened a little. Amoonguss killer and overall offensive attacker.

Set notes: Char Y is a fireblast set I'm trying out, it still gets the ohkos that overheat does I think but also gives you more speed. The obvious tradeoff is a little more SpA and speed and no drops vs substantial bulk but I like fast Char Y especially on a team without tailwind.

Other notes: I thought about using Rhyperior/Rhydon (but never actually used them) but eventually scrapped that as I didn't like 2x lightning rod and rhydon was slow. I might try it when I get the time. This team also recently got absolutely demolished by ferrothorn even post-bd by shaian so I changed azu to knock off, then speed creeped it to hell to get aegis as well.

Anyways that's me trying to shpeel about my team-building process. I'll try to keep this updated on team changes/edits. Thnx to Hashtag for helping out with the teambuilding process and essentially building this team with me.

edit log:
11/24 changed azu set to even more speed which is for tailwind aegislash

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)