XY OU Strongmons - Balanced XY OU team

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
Hello everyone, the team ill be writing about now its the one ive been using for the last month or so, and its been very fun to use, as well as successful i guess as it has won me a lot of games for different stuff oO
The team basically consists in using different special attackers who break down each other weaknesses in order for any of them to clean late game, with some support from bulkymons who could help with passive damage.
The team:

Team building process:

The team started off by using the mega garde + keldeo core, as keldeo could handle heatran and ferro while garde could "handle" (or at least damage, as it cant really switch into) mega venusaur, latios, mew and other stuff i dont remember atm.

Later i decided to add lando-i as it could handle all the things mentioned before, luring lati@s with knock off, dealing solid damage to venu with psychic, crippling mew/defeating him with knock off+ earth power, etc you know the deal. it was also nice to have a mon that was immune to electric (altho couldnt compensate for the fast electric spc attackers weaknesses this team always had x_x) and ground.

Then, i realized this team didnt had any mon who had the slightest of bulk, and i dont really like running 100% HO team as i like being able to switch into stuff. With that said, clefable was added with a set not many people use: wish unaware. This brought to my team a lot of support in the form of rocks, wish pass specially to keldeo as heatran was a common switch in to clefable and keldeo doesnt fears much from it, and it could check p much any set up mon with the exception of mega gyarados mega pinsir and the mega zards (altho it could wear down roost-less zard x with wish recovery and flare blitz recoil, and dragon dance versions would take a while to defeat clefable or i could go to heatran on a predicted attack if he hasnt set up or lacks EQ :x) so that was pretty nice.

Then as i found a big weaknesses to rain teams and strong water types in general i added ferro, who could also check plenty of mons due to his immense bulk and nice typing which is helped even further by leech seed + protect recovery. It also gave me spikes support, which helps the offensive core take down opposing mons with the passive damage.

And last, but definitely not least, while i tested this with another x mon i dont remember i found to be extremely weak to SD pinsir and scizor, and then scarf heatran was added, and i loved it. the stuff it can check its pretty cool, as it is, or at least was idk, a very uncommon set so people would just eq with pinsir just to die to ancient power, same with other mons like greninja and zard y who expect to be faster and then get bopped.

Team in depth:

Keldeo @ Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Electric]
Keldeo has been a big threat since gen 5, and its not a surprise by looking at his stats: a good base speed and attack with a bulk that its not great but not bad with a typing that allows it to switch into mons like heatran, bisharp gliscor etc with easy and pose an immediate threat. Ive always liked the expert belt set, with it you can easily bluff a choice set early game spamming the same attack, so later you can lure stuff out like gyarados or ferrothorn. the moveset is pretty standard: hydro pump has stab and its strong, secret sword is amazing to have as it breaks special walls like chansey easily, and having a 100% accuracy stab is always nice too. Icy wind 2hkoes latios after sr which is nice, and hits other stuff like dragonite, gliscor without (or with less) fear of missing, and it lowers opps speed so you can kill usually faster mons with the appropiate move. And lastly, hp electric hits regular gyarados ohkoing it before it can set up (which is important as sub DD mega gyara con 6-0 this team x_x)

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
Mega gardevoir started getting hyped since the aegislash ban, and it does really well in the metagame tbh. Just with her stabs it covers up a lot of mons, and being able to hit on both defenses like keldeo its awesome n_n Hyper voice hits hard as f, psyshock hits stuff like m venu and speciall walls like chansey, taunt allows me to break stall mons like mew, and will o wisp gets stuff like excadrill and scizor on the switch in which always helps.

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Knock Off
Landorus is pretty fun to use because of how strong it is, sheer force gives his immense strengh to break down p much anything, plus having knock off to cripple and beat mons like chansey and mew its cool. Earth power its a strong stab, psychics nails venusaur and its my best bet against other genies, focus blast is only used when really needed as it would be cool if it really hit 70% ;; and knock off takes off items which is nice, and helps wearing down chansey so heatran can clean easier.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
Clefable is a crucial member of the team, giving support in the form of sr and wish, and also checking/countering mons like azumaril, zard x, mega hera, lati@s, etc. It has incredible bulk, and altho im using it to be defensive ive been suggested to use 96+ spc def but that leaves me open for zard x to break me easily so idk, thing is, clefable can handle a lot of treats in this metagame and has nice synergy with ferrothorn, and it has been a crucial member for a lot of battles and performed really well.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
Ferro since his introduction has been a big part of the ou metagame, its easy to see why when you look at his bulk, typing and movepool. Ferro helps me check steel types who can smack clefable like excadril, and rain offense practically cant touch it so thats cool. The evs are pretty random but work well, although if anyone has a better spread feel free to suggest it o_o Moveset is pretty standard i guess: gyro ball hits mons hard as ferro is ultra slow, spikes helps wear down mons and leech seed + protect help recovering health. Also, like with clefable, protect its an awesome move to have: the mindgames you can play are cool, as on the obvious protect you can leech seed the switch in n_n

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
Damn this is cool to use: scarftran is just strong and fast. Its pretty easy to clean late game with this, and to lure stuff with the surprise scarf :] the moveset covers a lot of the metagame: fire blast hits incredibly hard, even more when you can get the flash fire boost or when facing zard y(if you get both, it can even 2hko stuff like latios lmao), flash cannon has stab and hurts clefable which is an annoying mon to face, earth power huts other heatrans, hurts zard x, mega manetric (altho it outspeeds :pirate:), victini etc. And ancient power its cool as it OHKOes mega pinsir, talonflame i think, and deals around 80% to zard y.

As for the threat list:
Fast, strong special attackers: Mega manetric, mega alakazam, greninja, thundurus and gengar can really, really hurt this team, mega alakazam and mega manectric more because they outspeed heatran. They can just roll through it when the team is weakened so i gotta play very carefully around them. Thankfully, they dont get many switch in opportunities as most of them are frail and get worn down by hazards.

Sub dd mega gyara: Shoutout for being the thing i cant touch at all. Gyarados is usually checked by ferro who tanks his hits easily and leech seeds damage off but with sub it wins easily :[

Mega pinsir + heatran lure: ive faced teams with stuff like final gambit victini, which after it takes care of my heatran, pinsir can be a real problem ._. so i gotta keep heatran safe when facing this.

Specially defensive mega venu: Faced this just once but couldnt touch it as i trusted landorus to take care of it (aka letted my garde die) and nothing could touch it.

Keldeo: Annoying to switch into :[ but if not specs/LO clefable can handle it.

Well, i think thats it. this team as i already said was extremely fun to use but it has many weaknesses that could be hopefully fixed, and the xy metagame has a short time left with OR/AS comming up so yeah, idk how long ill have to use it @_@ that being said, i found this meta to be way more enjoyable than expected, let us hope the new mons that wil be arriving will be fun to use as well :toast: feel free to rate, and thanks for reading :]

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-22675 vs finchinator
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-20189 vs lily
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-21414 vs fran17
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-ou-1015120 vs level 56
yeah only from equal opp, other replays are haxy/not worth sharing zzz will add more as i get some i guess

importable:
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Knock Off

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock

Keldeo @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

Last edited:
I can understand how Protect is important on Ferro, but from our match today and everything else you said I think you should test power whip over it. Even though sub mega gyara maybe not be as common as other mons around, it still 6-0's you. Also having power whip beats out superpower azu and Keldeo. Only Clef switches into SP Azu and nothing really likes switching into Keldeo. Nice team fren n_n

A few suggestions. Nothing big.

1. HP Grass ≈ HP Electric on Keldeo. Both give considerable Coverage but Grass may be more beneficial for coverage.

2. Rock Polish > Knock Off. I mean. You're losing the ability to break walls like Chansey, but you're gaining the ability to sweep mons with that a single Polish.

3. Power Whip > Protect. Yeah, M-Gary takes a stroll through the park on your team. You need that monstrous damage it can bring to take it out, and for other mons that might seem safe to come in.

4. Overheat > Fire Blast. You don't want to stay in long with a scarf user anyways. Overheat hits with scary damage Twice in succession with Flash Fire activated, and it hits big on pokemon that might be neutral or even resistant to fire.

Good luck, maybe my suggestions will do you some good!

Expert Belt Keldeo might be niche for bluffing a choice set, but it just lacks power.
I would recommend changing expert belt out for choice specs. This is probably a typo, but gardevoir has 6 HP EVS. You should put the extra four into defense or special defense, as that makes you take less residual damage. I would also change out either will-o-wisp or taunt for focus blast. If you are running both of those moves, you will be walled by heatran.
I also disagree with the above post. Overheat seriously damages Heatran's late game cleaning abilities, by dropping your special attack by 2 stages.

summary of changes:
Taunt/Will-o-wisp on gardevoir < Focus Blast
Specs Keldeo > expert belt keldeo

Everything else looks fine. Good luck!

Hey :]

Team's looking solid, man. Honestly there are a few changes that could be made to handle threats like Greninja and DD Mega Gyarados. Lets take a look at Clefable. I'd go with Magic Guard over Unaware so it doesn't get bothered by Stealth Rock, and Unaware Clefable without and Defogger makes Magic Guard more appealing. I'd also go with a spread of 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD with a Calm nature and Thunder Wave > Stealth Rock. With this EV spread Clefable is almost never 2HKOed by Greninja's Hydro Pump and can cripple it with Thunder Wave. So now you're asking yourself, who's the new Stealth Rocker? We'll hand over that role to Ferrothorn. In my eyes Ferrothorn would need a little more special bulk, so a spread of 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD would be great. I'd suggest Power Whip > Gyro Ball, Stealth Rock > Spikes and Thunder Wave > Protect. Power Whip allows Ferrothorn to take on Mega Gyarados without much fear. Stealth Rock will now obviously be used since Clefable is no longer your Stealth Rocker. Thunder Wave gives your team more ground against fast mons like Gengar, who can put in major work against your team, leaving it with no safe switch ins when using Power Whip > Gyro Ball.

Here are the sets:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

Hope i helped :]

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
Thanks everyone for the rates! Yeah seems like everyone agrees that power whip should be a must on ferro lol, it helps me beat gyarados so thats already one less problem, so changing protect for power whip will do. On clefable, i dont really wanna change the set tbh, ferrothorn is not an answer to azumarill with suprpower existing, so if it gets the belly drum off i cannot beat it :[ same with mons like weakness policy dragonite, SD mega hera, sd chomp, Sd terrak, etc. But, i will definetly try the evs spread GGamer745 suggested, as its like the 5th person to tell me to try it lol. The ev spread of ferro seems like it would help, as tanking special attacks better would be cool.

dEnIsSsS

'scuse me while i kiss this guy
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi Vileman. Your team is very cool, but I honestly feel that you should try Scarf Latios over your Landorus for some reasons. 1 - it is a Keldeo check, 2 - revenge kills Mega Zard-X, 3 - It can help you against Mega Venusaur. Yeah, you lose an Eletric immunity, but Latios adds so many resistances to the team and it I feel that you need a faster regenge killer (Heatran isn't really fast as you already mentioned). You can even use moves such as Defog and Trick if you want (you can still annoy bulky walls such as Chansey and Clefable by tricking them, for example).

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Roost

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
UPL Champion
Thanks for the rate dEnIsSsS, scarf latios would really help with the whole speciall attackers weakness my team has, ill make sure to test it!

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey man nice balance team, I just have a few suggestions for you.
You mentioned "strong, fast special attackers" as threats to your team which is pretty true, especially Greninja.
A pretty easy way to fix this is to use a more optimal spread on Clefable so you can take 2 LO Hydros from it. Clefable can't do anything to Zard X so you don't lose anything by using Calm 252 HP 160 Def 96 SDef for Greninja. This spread also makes you a better Genie check and Keldeo check.
You also mentioned not being able to touch Sub Mega Gyarados, again, this is easily fixed by running Power Whip > Gyro on Ferrothorn. Most of the things you hit with Gyro already lose to Leech Seed.

Add 24 Def EVs from SAtk onto Gardevoir so it isnt 2hkoed by Latios's Psyshock, and I'd scrap Taunt and Will-o-wisp for Calm Mind and Focus Blast. This allows Gardevoir to be your main wallbreaker so you can potentially free up the Landorus slot for something like Latios as dEniss mentioned.
If you choose not to heed dEniss's suggestions you can also Scarf Keldeo with Scald > Icy Wind and that will also give you an easier time against revenge killing against offensive teams.
That's all I have for now.

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Hey this is a really cool team you got Vileman. It already has good synergy and seems to work out nicely, so I only have a few suggestions when it comes to changes. Seeing as how Greninja with HP Fire, Mega Charizard Y and Keldeo are huge threats to your team, I suggest you make some changes to your cores. To patch up some of these weaknesses, here are the suggestions I have to come with:

→ Mixed Defensive Magic Guard with CM | Running investment in both defenses makes Clefable capable of countering Greninja and Thundurus, which is a pretty big feat and a great addition to your team. Your team also needs a second win-condition against balance and stall, and therefore I suggest making Clefable run Calm Mind over Protect and Softboiled over Wish. After Mega Gardevoir has done it's job there are often sweeping opportuities for CM Clefable, which is something I suggest you should use to your advantage.

| Becuase Keldeo and Mega Charizard Y are such trouble to your team, I think fitting Latios over Landorus, like dEnIsSsS mentioned, would be beneficial for your team. Seeing as how your team doesn't really need Defog support, it is possible to make Latios run Earthquake or Surf, which are great for luring in and killing Heatran in order for Gardevoir to spam Hyper Voice.
→ Mixed Defensive | While running maximum physical bulk for the likes of Excadrill and Mega Gyarados is nice, running mixed bulk in order to take on Manaphy, Kyurem-B and Gardevoir much better is something that would help your team greatly. The things you wall with maximum investment in Defense are still walled or hard checked, which is why running investment in Special Defense is beneficial.

With these changes, I think your team is starting to shape up as a great team. I still think that some of the sets you are currently running could be improved as well, so here are some suggestions I think would optimize your sets:

→ Overheat | Flash Cannon | Earth Power | Stone Edge | In my opinion, Overheat is the better option for the primary Fire STAB on Heatran, as it not only is more powerful, but also more accurate than Fire Blast. Flash Cannon and Earth Power are fine, as you need the to take on Clefable and Mega Charizard X respectively. Stone Edge is the better option for Rock-type coverage, as it OHKOs Mega Charizrd Y and Volcarona, as well as doing more to specially defensive Talonflame.

→ Choice Specs | While you mentioned that you liked to bluff a Choice-item with Expert Belt, but I think the sheer power you give up is too much to give up on. Therefore, I suggest you opt to use Choice Specs over Expert belt, as it just outclasses it in most ways becuase of sheer force.

→ Bulkier EV Spread with a Modest Nature| This is a minor change, but to avoid the 2HKO from Latios's Psyshock, a little bit of investment in Defense is worth running. a Modest nature lets Gardevoir 3HKO Chansey, which is huge when trying to break stall teams. Lastly, running Focus Blast over Will-O-Wisp or Taunt is something I support, as hitting Ferrothorn and Heatran for super-effective damage is crucial.

EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Taunt / Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp / Focus Blast

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid / Hasty Nature
- Surf / arthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
- Softboiled
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Overheat
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)