ORAS UU Stop It's Viable, a Piloswine UU team.

Introduction
I was looking through the UU forums when I came across Research Week 11. After looking it over i had decided to try it out. Now the choice was between 3 mons, Pinsir, Granbull, or the baselord Piloswine. Grabull I had already recognized as viable, and would just be too easy to build around and do well with. Pinsir on the other hand I thought would be a sack of aids from the get-go and i could probably never get over low ladder with it. This left me with unknown possibility of Piloswine. After looking it over, I noticed it fares amazingly well vs some top tier threats, and can easily beat 3/4 of the spinners and defogers, allowing it to be a reliable hazard setter. I then immediatly noticed the amazing core it pairs with Mega Beedrill, being able to take on Crobat and Mega Aerodactyl extremly well. I had sucess with this team right from the start and i had managed to keep a good GXE all the way through. On the last day of Research Week 11, I noticed i was about 70 ELO off of first place, so I decided to just try and go for it. I managed to get to #4 on the ladder, 14 ELO behind first. I then managed to choke away 3 games in a row, losing me about 70 ELO and forcing me to rage quit for the day.

Piloswine is what i wanted to base this team around. It has the ability to check some top tier threats and beat a handful of spinner and defogers

Mega Beedrill completes a core with Piloswine. It is able to take advantage of Piloswine beating its main counters like Crobat and Mega Aerodactyl.

I needed a spinner to go along with Mega Beedril while also having another check to Mega Aerodactyl and Salamence as Piloswine is worn down fast without leftovers. Forretress also allows me to keep momentum with volt switch.

At this point i was looking extremly fire weak. I wanted a mon that I could use as an offensive pivot, while still giving me some offensive presence. I decided on Hydreigon as it fits that catagory and also provides some good synergy with Mega Beedrill.

I noticed I was 6-0ed by crocune, so i knew I needed a good counter. I wanted it to give some offensive presence and provide some momentum with volt switch/u-turn. I decided on Heliolisk, mostly because it fit the criteria and i wanted to try it out, and i never looked back.

I now notice i have 1 fighting resist, and only 1 fire resist, which are both unreliable. I decided on Tentacruel as it provided me with those resistences, but also extra rapid spin support for Mega Beedrill, and toxic spikes to help wear down offensive teams.

The Team

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Impish Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
Piloswine is what i based the team around. It's able to beat most defogers, like Crobat, Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Pidgeot, Gligar, and Empoleon, while alsoo being able to beat spinners like Donphan and Tentacruel. Piloswine also is able to check giant threats like Salamence and Hydreigon. The moveset is cookie-cutter. Icicle spear is used over icicle crash to break sashed and subs. The evs allow Piloswine to survive 2 hurivanes from a timid Mega Pidgeot 100% of the time, while still maximizing its physical bulk.

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- U-turn
- Protect
Beedrill finishes the core with Piloswine, allowing it to take advantage of Piloswine beating its main counters in Crobat and Mega Aerodactyl. I decided on Jolly over Adamant to speed tie with Mega Sceptiles, which would otherwise cause my team problems. The spread and moves are fairly standard, using u-turn for momentum and drill run to hit steel types like Empoleon.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin

Forrotress is used to help me check Mega Aerodactyl, Salamence, and Slurpuff if Piloswine gets weakened. The evs are to maximize my physical bulk. Gyro ball is over toxic to help me check Mega Aero, while volt switch is for momentum. Spikes let me weaken my opponents team with the amount of switches i force with the voltturn combonation.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Superpower

Hydreigon is pretty much the momentum keeper of the team, as it is bulky enough to use as a pivot and can move around with volturn. I decided on scarf Hydreigon to check Mega Pidgeot and Mega Aerodactyl. Superpower is run to check Blissey and Umbreon, which otherwise would give Hydreigon trouble. Naive nature is chosen over rash to have me speed tie other scarf Hydreigons, which my team would otherwise struggle with.

Heliolisk @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
Heliolisk is my water absorber and another momentum keeper with volt switch. I decided to complete a dual scarf core with this to help my team keep the speed control. Scarf also lets me outspeed and kill unsuspecting Mega Pidgeots, Mega Aerodactyl, and Crobats. Grass knot is chosen over focus blast to help me deal with swampert better, which again can cause my team trouble if i dont play around it correctly.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
Tentecruel is pretty much my only defensive fighting and fire check. The evs are to speed creep 224 modest nidoqueens, while still maximizing my physical bulk. I decided on double rapid spin over ice beam to help keep my Mega Beedrill healthy without me having to get in my Forretress to rapid spin. Toxic spikes are used to help me deal with offensive teams, and break down some stall teams.

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Impish Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- U-turn
- Protect

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Superpower

Heliolisk @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

Final Words
Seeing as I probably won't be using this team anymore after Research Week 11 is over, I just decided to put it out here. This team will most likely come in second for the week after a massive amount of chokes when I was so close to catching first. This team has a lot of weaknesses against some pokemon, but can sometimes be played around. This is my first RMT and I'm looking foward to hearing some suggestions on it. Thanks for reading! (Threat list and replays coming soon)​

Last edited:
Hey man I played this team and just wanted to say congrats on your success with the god called Piloswine. I did face your team on the ladder (I think I was the last person you fought before you gave up o.o) and I was able to pretty easily plow through your team with Entei, 3HKOing Tentacruel with Sacred Fire as you were forced to spin, followed by cleaning up late game with ExtremeSpeed. Thinking back on this as well as realizing that you have dual Scarfers helped me to think of a couple suggestions for your team.

First off, I think you're really limiting yourself with two Rapid Spinners. In a game where team slots are already restrictive, having two Pokemon fulfill the same role can really open up a ton of weaknesses. Forry should be able to take care of spinning, so I would recommend changing Tentacruel to Slowking. This will provide you with a MUCH sturdier Fire and Fighting check and is able to keep itself healthy with Regenerator and Slack Off. It provides you with a check to tons of threatening things to your team right now, including Entei (3HKOs Tenta), Mienshao (3HKOs Tenta), Nidoqueen (OHKOs whole team), Suicune (sets up on and PP stalls/Ice Beams Scarf Heliolisk lol), Mega Aerodactyl, and Crobat (and more). The set I would recommend is a physically defensive Calm Mind set to act as a bulky win condition that can beat opposing Suicune 1v1 while providing better type synergy with your team.

Similarly, having two Choice Scarf users really limits your team, particularly making it very weak to defensively balanced and stall teams. Choice Scarf Heliolisk sounds interesting and can revenge kill tons of faster things and also destroys rain, which is nice, so I'll suggest that you switch over to Life Orb Hydreigon instead of Choice Scarf. STABs and Roost are mandatory; Roost in particular is great to keep itself healthy to check things like Chandelure and Entei late in the game. Your final move can be one of Fire Blast/Superpower/Taunt (your team does fine against Fairies so there's no need for Steel coverage). Life Orb Hydreigon does really well against most of the defensive cores that give the rest of your team trouble.

Also, consider changing Mega Beedrill to Adamant as there's not too much that you're missing out on: Scarf Chandelure is no longer outsped, but is handled by Hydreigon and Piloswine, and no one uses max Speed Crobat. Mega Sceptile is a speed tie anyway so maybe you want to preserve that, although that's not too big a problem with Forry to check it and Pilo to revenge kill it.

Hopefully if you do decide to bring this team back, these suggestions will help!

Hey really cool team including the based lord himself. I never played you with this team I believe, but witnessed it yesterday. I agreea lot with what dodmen was saying. Having two rapid spinners and scarfers is not needed and probably not that effective against well built teams. As dodmen suggested slowking, i can think that would be nice. Although maybe replacing Fortress with Doublade could we an equally good choice. Doublade brings some offensive pressure with Swords Dance as well as defensive presence by checking all the threats you have fortress for. Both Slowking or doublade would be great changes.
As for running two scarfers I see a problem with that as dodmen said too. I can not see how this team could ever beat stall/semi-stallish teams with the only offensive pressure, beedrill. The team also lacks a win condition which slowking or Doublade can provide. I agree with dodmen's recommendation with Life Orb hydreigon. i suggest Taunt, Roost, and dual stab to help deal with stall-ish teams better.
Overall, cool team!

Hey man I played this team and just wanted to say congrats on your success with the god called Piloswine. I did face your team on the ladder (I think I was the last person you fought before you gave up o.o) and I was able to pretty easily plow through your team with Entei, 3HKOing Tentacruel with Sacred Fire as you were forced to spin, followed by cleaning up late game with ExtremeSpeed. Thinking back on this as well as realizing that you have dual Scarfers helped me to think of a couple suggestions for your team.

First off, I think you're really limiting yourself with two Rapid Spinners. In a game where team slots are already restrictive, having two Pokemon fulfill the same role can really open up a ton of weaknesses. Forry should be able to take care of spinning, so I would recommend changing Tentacruel to Slowking. This will provide you with a MUCH sturdier Fire and Fighting check and is able to keep itself healthy with Regenerator and Slack Off. It provides you with a check to tons of threatening things to your team right now, including Entei (3HKOs Tenta), Mienshao (3HKOs Tenta), Nidoqueen (OHKOs whole team), Suicune (sets up on and PP stalls/Ice Beams Scarf Heliolisk lol), Mega Aerodactyl, and Crobat (and more). The set I would recommend is a physically defensive Calm Mind set to act as a bulky win condition that can beat opposing Suicune 1v1 while providing better type synergy with your team.

Similarly, having two Choice Scarf users really limits your team, particularly making it very weak to defensively balanced and stall teams. Choice Scarf Heliolisk sounds interesting and can revenge kill tons of faster things and also destroys rain, which is nice, so I'll suggest that you switch over to Life Orb Hydreigon instead of Choice Scarf. STABs and Roost are mandatory; Roost in particular is great to keep itself healthy to check things like Chandelure and Entei late in the game. Your final move can be one of Fire Blast/Superpower/Taunt (your team does fine against Fairies so there's no need for Steel coverage). Life Orb Hydreigon does really well against most of the defensive cores that give the rest of your team trouble.

Also, consider changing Mega Beedrill to Adamant as there's not too much that you're missing out on: Scarf Chandelure is no longer outsped, but is handled by Hydreigon and Piloswine, and no one uses max Speed Crobat. Mega Sceptile is a speed tie anyway so maybe you want to preserve that, although that's not too big a problem with Forry to check it and Pilo to revenge kill it.

Hopefully if you do decide to bring this team back, these suggestions will help!
I'll definatly take the idea of slowking into account to help me deal with entei and such. I'm a bit iffy on changing the hydreigon as one of the things i wanted to use was a dual scarf core, but ill definatly try it out. Thanks for the advice!
Hey really cool team including the based lord himself. I never played you with this team I believe, but witnessed it yesterday. I agreea lot with what dodmen was saying. Having two rapid spinners and scarfers is not needed and probably not that effective against well built teams. As dodmen suggested slowking, i can think that would be nice. Although maybe replacing Fortress with Doublade could we an equally good choice. Doublade brings some offensive pressure with Swords Dance as well as defensive presence by checking all the threats you have fortress for. Both Slowking or doublade would be great changes.
As for running two scarfers I see a problem with that as dodmen said too. I can not see how this team could ever beat stall/semi-stallish teams with the only offensive pressure, beedrill. The team also lacks a win condition which slowking or Doublade can provide. I agree with dodmen's recommendation with Life Orb hydreigon. i suggest Taunt, Roost, and dual stab to help deal with stall-ish teams better.
Overall, cool team!
I'm not so sold on changing forry to doublade as it would make my team easily worn down by things like eq Mega Aero. And you did play this team, you were complaining about scarf heliolisk :] https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uususpecttest-214088419

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)