SM OU Sticky PsySpam HO [1.6k] (Here to improve!)

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist

- Introduction -

It's now been 1 year and a half that I'm on smogon, . I've been lurking around some Other Metagames and Pet Mods (definitely more the latter) for the most part. Even though I'm still very much dedicated to them, I can't say that more traditional tiers haven't grown on me lately. I liked the idea of a more stable metagame with a larger community and more with ressources available, since it makes it easier to become better player as a whole and gain experience. That's why I started to play OU.

Now, I have tried going on ladder and in tournaments with teams I found here and there (Samples, Team Bazaar, that sort of stuff) but I've realized that I play better with my own teams, since I tend to know my mons, my options and my limits better this way. And so, that brings us here, with my very first (semi at least) viable competitive team in OU. But I do know that I'm pretty inconsistent at teambuilding, an that's why I posted here: to get some help and feedback.

- Team Process -

I wanted to try a PsySpam core with something else than a Mega-Zam, because I don't like relying on Focus Blast to go through Steel-types. That's why I decided to go with Medicham, which also hits like a truck and can take care of common mons like Lando or Heatran. Besides, Lele is already there to cover special attack, so that's why I wanted to go a little more physical.

Now, to support those two strong yet slow mons, some sort of speed control was required. That's why I went with Sticky Web. I chose Ribombee over Araquanid or something like, I don't know, Smeargle, because it ouspeeds most of other suicide leads and has access to really interesting utility (Stun Spore, Defog).

Once you run Sticky Web on your team, you need a way to keep it on the field, so I went with two mons that can take of any defogger or spinner - I mean, Excadrill - that comes too close: Bisharp and Rockium-Z Lando.

Now at first I wanted to include a spinner in my team as well, but I remarked that my team wasn't weak to stealth rocks at all. What my team was weak against though were Steelas, and Scarf Karts (negates the speed drop from Web), both of which could easily pass Lele or M-Med, my steel-type checks. That's why I included a choice scarf Magnezone.

- In-Depth -

Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Stun Spore

My Suicide Lead. Ribombee is excellent as a Sticky Web setter in my opinion, since it can provide so much to the team just in the first turns of the game. Having defog is an invaluable asset against enemy suicide leads or enemy Ferros, and Moonblast and Stun Spore can apply a suprising amount of pressure on many anti-leads, like Mega-Sableye in stalls or Defensive Landos with Defog. Plus, Shield Dust is great to set webs through M-Lops and Jirachis. I don't play HP Fire because Magnezone can switch on pretty much any steel-type that tries to do something and completely shut them down. Oh and one last thing: If your opponent has a Hawlucha in his team, DO NOT LEAD WITH THIS POKEMON; It will probably be your only reliable answer.

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

The star of the team. It's so ridiculously powerful, it can pretty much 2HKO anything that is not named Tapu Fini or Mega-Sableye, especially when combined with SR and either Fake Out or Psychic Terrain (or both if you're up against something not grounded). It's my answer to a lot of things, including Lando, Magearna, Greninja (if webs are still up), Bulu, etc... It's just such a great mon. Just be careful for burns and try to keep webs up.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock

Another monster, it greatly enhances M-Med'soffensive power, helps the team against priority spams and is overall just a monster of sheer force (pun not intended). Lele can break and go through pretty much everything that gives trouble to Med *cough cough Lati@s*, especially some sets of Koko or Gren. Really standart specs set, I didn't really feel the need to change anything. Also, pay attention to when you switch it in, because Surge can hinder Med or Bisharp in some situations.

Bisharp @ Occa Berry
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

I love Bisharp. This pokemon invalidates so much of what could potentially shut down this team, starting off with Defog. At +2, this thing 2HKOs Fini with Iron Head (plus it really benefits from Misty Surge to prevent burns + remove psyhcic terrain), and can then sweep with a Rock Polish boost. Occa Berry may seem like a weird choice, because it is, but it lets him take Heat Waves from Zapdos or Torn (and even Blacephalon, who is elseway a pretty big threat for this team). It's also my prime check against Serperior, because it can tank a Leaf Storm or an HP Fire at +2. Just start by hitting Knock Off to be sure to pass subs, and then enjoy Sucker Punch (plus it disregards speed drop from Glare). Bisharp also improves my matchup against opposing Sticky Webs.

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

You see a Zapdos or a Torn, but either your Bisharp is down or you don't think you can sweep the entire enemy team with it? Or maybe it's just that an Excadrill is coming? Well, no worries, because Rockium Z Lando is here to save the day. Continental Crush just annihilate anything that has flying type (except opposing Landos but who cares when you have M-Med (or Hawlucha but I talked about it earlier)). It also carries the role of an offensive Stealth Rock setter (against the likes of Zard-Y or Volcarona that would try to come before rocks are up), because Stealth Rock is great. Plus it immensely helps to keep momentum and make other mons switch in safely thanks to Intimidate.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 8 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Finally, Scarf Magnezone brings some kind of speed control outside of webs (or even inside, considering it's rather slow even with a boost). It helps my matchup against Kart (the spread is for that), Steela, Ferro (when Med isn't available) or the occasional Skarmory. It also creates some kind of Volt-Turn core with Lando to help pivot the team around, just pay attention to opposing Landos and Garchomps.

- Threats -

Rain

Pretty much the reason why I made this RMT. Rain is right now really popular on the ladder, and that's not a good new for this team. Even if the matchup is far from unwinable, I struggled a lot against that archetype. So I'm asking you guys, what should I do to improve this team's matchup against rain?

Mega-Loppuny

If Sticky Webs are removed, this thing is incredibely threatening. The only ways I found to get around it were either to sac Lando and then RK with either Lele or Med, or either to keep your Ribombee for later (except if your opponent leads with it in which case you can paralyze it happily and not care).

Mega-Charizard-Y

For some reason Zard-Y's sprite wouldn't work so huh idk
This thing is a pain to deal with if you haven't set Stealth Rocks before. You have to wear it down first with priority (either Fake Out or Sucker Punch) and then try to revenge kill it with Magnezone, but if it's a Flame Charge set it's gg.

Stall

It's winnable, but incredibely frustrating to play against and require near-perfect plays each turn. (It probably comes from me rather than exclusively from the team though.)

- Importable-

> Click Here <

- Conclusion -

I've been having a ton of fun on OU so far, and especially with this team. And if today I'm here to improve, it's only to have even more fun on this tier and in future experiences. I hope you've enjoyed this RMT and that some of you will be able to help me out!​

Gravity Monkey

is a Top Artist
ok i think mega swampret can be a big counter with rain setup for the team
It definitely is a major threat. I usually try to get around it by "revenge paralyzing" it with Ribombee, and then finishing it off with Fake Out + HJK with Med. But that means no webs, having to sac two mons and if it's a sub variant, it's gg.

I'm not a fan of Rock Polish on Bisharp. It doesn't help in the stall matchup, and you aren't likely to get opportunities to click it against offence. I'd advise Swords Dance instead, as it makes the Stall matchup much friendlier. Additionally, you may want to consider EVing it to take Magma Storms, as fast Heatran looks like a threat to this team.

Hi Gravity Monkey,
I like the idea of Psyspam with Webs! Mega-Medicham under Webs is definetely an even bigger threat than usually, and the Terrain helps some of your sweepers. On the other hand, it blocks a lot of your own Priority, so i would make a few adjustments to the team...

Major Change:
>
I think Magnezone is not really needed on this team, as most steel types are threatened by Medicham and/or Hp Fire. Serp on the other hand is a perfect mon to abuse the webs and improve your team: It improves your rain matchup a lot (it outspeeds Mega-Swampert in Rain if Webs are up), and profits if your opponent tries to Defog your Webs (Evasion Boost). It also improves the matchup vs opposing webs with the speed gained by Contrary. And under Webs, it outspeeds and OHKOs Scarf Kart. Leaf Storm and HP Fire are obligatory, I'd go with Sub to abuse the Evasion boost and thus give it a possibility to beat stuff like Tornadus. Glare on the last slot paralyses switch-ins like Mega-Charizard-Y and Tornadus to let the other members of the team deal with them.
Leech Seed would be an option for things like Heatran, but i think Glare is more usefull on this team. Remember to weaken Fire types before you try to sweep with Serp!

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Fire
- Substitute
- Glare

Minor Changes:
On Lele, I'd rather run a set that can switch moves, so that it is able to sweep on its own, since you don't want to pivot too much with an offensive team like this. I'd go with Calm Mind to achieve similar power to the Specs Set after one turn of setup. This also improves the matchup vs Chansey (why is Chansey even a Problem if you run Mega-Medicham?^^). +1 Psyshock is a 2HKO on Heatran, which can't OHKO in return unless it runs a Z-Move...
Tapu Lele @ Twisted Spoon
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast

I would change Landorus to Z-Fly to make it able to check Hawlucha. Lando isn't OHKO by any attack of +2 Hawlucha (i.e. +1 after Intimidate) and Supersonic Skystrike is a OHKO in return. Tornadus is still OHKOed by +0 Z-Fly, and vs neutral mons like Clefable you gain a stronger nuke.
Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Fly

As the previous user suggested, I'd go with Swords Dance over Rock Polish. I like the Occa idea!

Further ideas:
I would experiment with Medi's set a bit, maybe dropping Fake-Out (which often won't work because of your terrain) for another move is worth it! Uncommon sets like Bulk Up (with Drain Punch over HJK) might acually work well to sweep under webs (once opposing Tornadus are removed).
Since you run Webs, you could in principle also try Adamant Medicham, but the speed tie with Zard-y is crucial if you cannot paralyze it...

I hope you like the changes, good luck laddering =)

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

is a Top Artist
Thanks very much to both of you for your inputs! I'm definitely going to try out those changes! Just, ElStefano, you didn't actually post Lando's Flyinium set. I believe I just have to replace Stone Edge by Fly and change the Z gem?

EDIT: Oh nvm thanks for changing it!

Thanks very much to both of you for your inputs! I'm definitely going to try out those changes! Just, ElStefano, you didn't actually post Lando's Flyinium set. I believe I just have to replace Stone Edge by Fly and change the Z gem?

EDIT: Oh nvm thanks for changing it!
Yeah I forgot to copy paste it at first =)

When playtesting the team, I found Lele and Medi to be a bit redundant. Both struggle vs mons like Magearna and Victini. On top, the Terrain was sometimes annoying for Bisharp.

I suggest you replace Lele with Koko. A fast Electric type helps with flying mons that are not affected by webs. Fast taunts can prevent the opposition from defogging. And the Terrain helps Medi: I'd run a set with Bulk up, Drain Punch, Ice Punch and Thunder Punch. This beats a lot of would be checks in Electric Terrain and under Webs!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)