ORAS OU Steel Hulk Squad

So this team I have made I have been playing around with and I am really liking it. I really haven't seen too many threats yet, but that is probably sure to change. Just looking for opinions to make the team better than what it already is.

Based Machine (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Hammer Arm

Please welcome the main star of this show... four arm steel Hulk. So, I decided to build this team around one of the best Pokemon in OU right now. The set here is the main one off the dex, I am thinking of perhaps going Grass Knot or Thunder Punch over Ice Punch, but looking for opinions. I might change Hammer Arm to Earthquake, but so far I have seen more success from Hammer Arm.

Based Fire Bird (Talonflame) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Right here we have the Ho-Oh wanna be. Talonflame in my opinion is a great partner for Mega Metagross, especially the specially defensive set. I am running Brave Bird with Lefties over Acrobatics because of the residual recovery. I find it to be extremely helpful in sticky situations. Roost is standard. Taunt is to perhaps catch a stall team. It can really help take care of bulkier Pokemon that Mega Metagross can't take care of. Will-O-Wisp is to help take care of physical attackers/sweepers. It is decently fast and can help early and late game.

Based Grass (Celebi) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Right here we have Based Grass. This has pretty good type synergy with the first two members, and provides good type coverage. I went with the lure threats to help with some of the things that wall Mega Metagross. Plus it is going to have a better chance at getting some of the kills by catching opponents off guard. Expert Belt allows it to pick up extra kills over some of the threats. HP Fire over Psychic is to pick up kills on steel types that may give the team trouble.

Based Land Shark (Garchomp) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Knowing that physical attackers go through this team without the burn from Talonflame... I needed something to perhaps nerf the sweep. Tank Garchomp was probably the best possible Pokemon for this roll. It sets up Sr to help Metagross pack more of a punch, and is able to spread residual damage with Dragon Tail. Pokemon who Rapid Spin also have trouble with taking Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet damage. I don't really need to go over the spread since it is just the one on the dex. I did not use Toxic however because I felt that having Dragon Tail and Fire Blast was much more important.

Based Fairy Cat (Sylveon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Hyper Voice

So here is probably one of the most questionable Pokemon on this team. At this point, I figured keeping the Pokemon healthy and without status... so I needed a cleric. With having Garchomp, Clefable in my opinion would be kind of redundant. Sylveon provides a wonderful special wall that this team kind of desperately needed. Hyper Voice is wonderful stab, and Protect, Heal Bell, and Wish are standard for the cleric set. I have a feeling this one a lot of people aren't going to like.

Based Penguin (Empoleon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Toxic
- Defog

Yung penguin coming through. I needed hazard removal... so I had to think hard about this. Latis added a third Psychic type and I didn't want this. Looking at all of the hazard removers, Empoleon looked best for the team. Scald and Roar are kind of standard and I needed Defog. So I had the chose between Sr and Toxic, and sense Garchomp gives me the Sr I need, I went with Toxic that can possibly be spread around. Sorry if this one seems a bit lazy, this took whole thing took me about an hour and I was hungry with no food while doing it.

So this is the team that is worthy enough for me to write up this RMT. I think it looks pretty solid, but that is of course just my opinion. Hopefully I get quite a few responses that take me in the right direction where I can enjoy this team and ladder. Down low I will post and importable, (I have been having trouble with the show/hide thing so it will probably be screwed up.

Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Hammer Arm

Based Fire Bird (Talonflame) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Hyper Voice

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Toxic
- Defog

Yo man, gonna give you a few quick suggestions that I think can help you out.

Firstly, I'm currently using that very same T-flame set, but with a few EV changes. As of right now, nothing can really touch an Excadrill, one of the most threatening mons right now. Your Chomp MIGHT get an earthquake off on him, but only if you switch into it, and even then a jolly E-drill outspeeds you. 60 Speed EVs and 8 attack EVs with an adamant nature lets you OHKO and outspeed a jolly E-drill if you run flare blitz on your team. Run it if you want, it's the most accurate counter of your team - a hammer arm is 90% and he's weak to EQ, and fire blast is 70%. So i'd change WoW to flare blitz, and possibly Taunt to bulk up to let you set up, but that's completely up to you.

Keep Ice punch over thunder punch on Metagross, as it's your only counter to the lati twins. You already noted your double psychic core, but made no moves to prevent dark or bug. For the dark weakness, especially T-tar and bisharp who can pursuit trap your meta and celebi, take Earthquake > Hammer arm on Meta. This will stop them pursuit trapping you, as you're staying in and hopefully KOing them. Watch out for the switch/bisharp's sucker punch if you don't get the OHKO though. I don't think Bug hits either Celebi or Meta well, maybe only the celebi, but Scarf landorus is a popular thing, reaching like 460 speed, and U-turning. This is another reason to keep Ice punch on meta, and use your bulk to take it out, and to also keep Empoleon alive as much as you can to get the scald off.

You don't have a massive Keldeo counter; Celebi works really well, but Keld will switch/outspeed it, especially if it's scarfed. Keep that in mind, and keep your Celebi healthy. Because you have a LOT of bulk on this team, with walls like Defence Chomp, Celebi, HP T-flame and Emploeon, I'd be tempted to run Celebi as a sweeper, and give it psyshock to better deal with fighting types like Guts Conkeldurr that can switch in almost freely to this and Chanseys. Also, if you run EQ on Meta, you won't need earth power at all, since Mega gross is bulky and fast, so I'd switch that out for psyshock. This gives you 2 sweepers, a set-up sweeper, and 3 bulky mons. This is better than 5 bulky (1 set up in T-flame) and one sweeper.

Finally, you said Sylveon is a Sp Def tank, and then you ran Defence EVs on it. Just go the whole hog and make it your sp. def tank. You'll be able to resist a lot more, safe in the knowledge that you can take a lot of special attacks, and shrug them off. Same goes for your Chomp; I'd be tempted to go 252 HP / 252 Defence / 4 Att and an Impish nature, and use it as your rock setter lead. Defence to make it the team's physical tank, and also because a lot of leads in this meta are physical or tanks, so Chomp will be a lot safer, and still has 331 Attack Damage uninvested. This then leaves your Empoleon to do whatever you want; you have a sp. def tank, a defence tank and a few sweepers. You could mix the EVs up, and go a bit into the special attack, but that's up to you; the set works as it is, but a bit of Sp.atk investment off that base 111 spatk will give your scald a bit of kick. Here are some calcs:

160 SpA Empoleon Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 296-350 (99.6 - 117.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
160 SpA Empoleon Scald vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Landorus: 290-344 (90.9 - 107.8%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

While still being tanky enough to survive some key attackers:

252 SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 96+ SpD Empoleon: 242-288 (65.2 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 96+ SpD Empoleon: 211-250 (56.8 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 96+ SpD Empoleon: 106-126 (28.5 - 33.9%) -- 97.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Empoleon: 314-372 (84.6 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

So you get better control over Landorus, T-flame, Char - anything weak to fire, while still having bulk to survive some key attackers, giving your more kick in your scald.

That's it from me! As i said, these are only suggestions, take them as you will - I'd really recommend Earthquake > Hammer arm on Meta, at least. All in all, looks like a really effective team!

Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 SpeModest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpDef / 4 HP

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 160 SpAtk / 96 SpDef
Calm Nature

Finally, you said Sylveon is a Sp Def tank, and then you ran Defence EVs on it. Just go the whole hog and make it your sp. def tank. You'll be able to resist a lot more, safe in the knowledge that you can take a lot of special attacks, and shrug them off. Same goes for your Chomp; I'd be tempted to go 252 HP / 252 Defence / 4 Att and an Impish nature, and use it as your rock setter lead. Defence to make it the team's physical tank, and also because a lot of leads in this meta are physical or tanks, so Chomp will be a lot safer, and still has 331 Attack Damage uninvested. This then leaves your Empoleon to do whatever you want; you have a sp. def tank, a defence tank and a few sweepers. You could mix the EVs up, and go a bit into the special attack, but that's up to you; the set works as it is, but a bit of Sp.atk investment off that base 111 spatk will give your scald a bit of kick. Here are some calcs:

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 SpeModest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
This post made my head spin because Celebi doesn't fucking learn Psyshock and Sylveon has good enough special bulk as it is so there is no reason to capitalize on it when it is redundant and Sylveon can wall more attackers with Phys Def. and what's the point of a lead Chomp with a defogger in the back and that speed is to creep something that threatens his team which is allinall useful for his team as he is threatened by it other than that I think you made some good suggestions (although psyshock on celebi made me facepalm it doesn't fucking get that) Although Dragongroudon9 as you experienced firsthand after Garchomp is weakened Toxicroak like destroys your whole team so max speed Celebi with Psychic would be beneficial as you outspeed Celebi (and sub can play sucker mindgames) so I'd recommend a Celebi set looking like this...

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Substitute

You can swap some moves out and lefties is there cuz no recovery and sub and stuff so yea. You lose out on the instant recovery but you check a huge threat to your team all the while. Although the team does look solid all on its own this is my two cents.

Also imo add a threatlist for people to refer too while rating.

Peace.
- Mudface Mudvayne.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)