Other Stall

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
(please take note that this is just a speculation thread, and this thread is based purely on my opinion)
~Stall~

Introduction

Throughout generation 5, offense was always the preferred play style. This is mainly due to the power creep that came along with generation 5. Power special attackers like Keldeo and Reuniclus could easily get past the best special walls, where as the best physical sweepers like Terrakion and Scizor could easily get past even the best physical walls. Dragon type attacks were still extremely spammable, as they had such great general coverage. Volt turn always gained momentum for offensive teams, giving stall teams little breathing room, and weather inducers like Ninetales and Politoed made walling Fire and Water type attacks that much harder.

However, with generation 6, Stall has received a lot of buffs. In this thread I'm going to be discussing every advantage and disadvantage for stall in general. Let's start out with the advantages.

Advantages

Fairy types

Fairy type is an incredible defensive typing, as it resists Fighting, Dark and Bug type attacks, but more importantly, Fairy types are immune to Dragon type attacks. This is incredible for Stall teams, as this fact alone can potentially prevent DraMag teams, as well as forcing Dragon types to use their weaker STAB alternative. The extra resistance to Fighting and Bug type attacks is also pretty huge, as they are both very common physical attacks. This I think is going to hinder Volt-turn immensely, while Fighting types have their STAB somewhat nerfed as well, which is great for Stall teams too.

Weather nerf

Weather based teams are going to be much less common this generation, meaning that stall teams will no longer need to worry about boosted Water and Fire type attacks, making special attackers like Keldeo, Volcarona, and Venusaur much easier to deal with. Although there are some dis-advantages to the weather nerf for stall teams too (which I'll get to later), having to no longer take boosted Water and Fire type attacks in huge for stall teams. Dedicated weather based sweepers like Toxicroak and Venusaur I think are going to be a thing of the past, as without unlimited turns to abuse their abilities, they can be potentially stalled out. Because of the lack of weather wars this generation, Dugtrio is going to become less common, because it's main niche was it's ability to trap Tyranitar, that troubled Sun teams. This is also pretty nice for stall teams, as trapping abilities in general are a pain for stall teams.

Sleep count

The sleep mechanics have changed from Generation 5. The sleep count doesn't reset if you switch out, meaning Sleep Talkers become much more viable. Gyarados, Snorlax, and Suicune benefit from this greatly. Speaking of sleep, Grass types are now immune to Spore and Sleep Powder, meaning Celebi, Ferrothorn, Roserade, and other Grass types have just become that much better. With this nerf to Sleep, Breloom isn't going to be troubling stall as much as it did back in generation 5, mainly because nearly every Grass type checks it now.

Hidden Power

Hidden Power's base power has been reduced to a measly base 60 power. This is pretty huge for special walls, as Hidden Power was special attackers main coverage option. 70 base power was already pretty low, but with only 60 base power, you're best off using your Pokemon's STAB attacks, as they generally out power even SE Hidden Power hits. This is great for special walls like Jellicent and Celebi, as Pokemon like Keldeo would often rely on Hidden Power to get past their checks. The choice of hidden power would often determine the counter to the Pokemon using Hidden Power. Take Zapdos for example. Zapdos in gen V UU is countered by Swampert if using HP Ice, and Gligar if using HP Grass. While I still think Hidden Power will be used for x4 super effective damage, I really don't think Hidden Power is going to be as popular as it once was.

New spin blockers

Duoblade and Aeislash are two new Ghost types that seem to have a lot of potential. This is mainly because of their typing and stats. Just for reference, here are Doublade's and Aegislash's information. As you can see, both have incredible bulk, and pretty awesome attack stats. Most importantly however, both can beat Starmie one on one, the premium OU offensive Spinner. When EVed in a certain way, both can take Hydro Pumps very nicely and use Shadow Sneak for huge damage. They both also pack Pursuit, to trap and eliminate Starmie from the game, although this is generally done much better by Scarf Tyranitar.

What makes these two Pokemon so good is one move. King's Shelid. When using this move, if your opponent tries to attack you with a move that makes contact (for reference, that's any move that's affected by Iron Barbs), the user's attack stat is halved. This is absolutely incredible, as it forces physical sweepers to switch out in fear of having their attack halved. Be careful when using this move however, as having a Pokemon set up a Swords Dance or a Substitute is a big fear to keep in mind. Their unique typing allows them to wall some of the most dangerous physical sweepers, including Terrakion, Scizor, and Breloom, some of the best wall breakers of the last generation.

Critical Hits nerf

Critical hits have been reduced in damage from x2 to x1.5, making it easier to stall without being afraid of crits. This also makes it much easier for bulkier sweepers like Reuniclus and Latias to sweep, as critical hits usually spell doom for these Pokemon. While they can still do a lot of damage to these bulky sweepers, and can break through defensive Pokemon, it's not nearly as bad as it used to be.

Sticky Web and Parting Shot

Although not much is known about these two moves yet, they seem to have quite a lot of potential. You can read about Sticky Web and Parting Shot in detail here, but I'll give a brief description of what each move does. Sticky Web is a base 20 power Bug type move, which slows down you opponent's Pokemon as they enter the field. Parting Shot when used lowers the target's Attack and Sp. Atk stats and then the user switches out. Sticky Web has to potential to be incredible for slower based teams, as offensive teams rely on their high speed stat a lot, while Parting Shot is sort of like a defensive U-turn, gaining a ton of momentum for defensive based teams.

New Items (Assult Vest)

While we don't have too much information about the new items, there is one item that seems very interesting. This offensive vest raises Sp. Def but prevents the use of status moves. This item boosts the Pokemon's SpDef stat by 50%, meaning special tanks like Tyranitar and Heatran become that much harder to break through. The only down side to this item is that you can't use status moves, meaning Heatran can't use Toxic, Stealth Rock, or Roar, and Tyranitar can't use Stealth Rock. You also lose Leftovers recovery, which is a pretty massive deal for defensive Pokemon. I'll update this once we have more information on new items.

Negatives

Unfortunately, with the new generation stall also received a few nerfs. Although the benefits far outweigh the cons, the negatives do need to be discussed.

Steel typing

I think the biggest factor is the fact that Steel types lost two resistances. In generation 5, Steel types were one of (if not thee) best defensive typings in the game. This is mainly due to the amount of resistances Steel had and the lack of weaknesses. However, Steel types no longer resist Dark and Ghost type attacks, completely changing how effective Steel types like Skarmory and Jirachi are. Dark types like Tyranitar and Hydreigon can spam their Dark STABs a lot more freely than before, and Skarmory and Scizor can no longer check Tyranitar as easily as they used to.

Defog

Defog really hampers Stall's ability to deal damage, as Stall teas generally rely on indirect damaging moves such as Stealth Rock and Spikes to inflict damage. With the huge buff to Defog, Defog now eliminates all entry hazards on the field. Defog is a Flying type move, meaning it's can't be blocked by Ghost types like Rapid Spin, however it can be Taunt blocked. This might force Stall teams to change their tactics and rely less on entry hazards and phazing to deal any real damage, as well as potentially forcing them to run fast Taunt users to prevent Defog in the first place. Overall, this really is a huge disadvantage for Stall teams.

Weather nerf

Although the nerf to weather abilities is generally a plus, it also has it's negatives for stall teams as well. Pokemon that thrive in weather teams like Ferrothorn and Tentacruel will no longer be boosted by weather, meaning they are generally going to be less effective as they once was. Ferrothorn will no longer be able to tank Hidden Power Fire, while Tentacruel's Rain Dish ability becomes near useless. Hydration Vaporeon also seems like it's going to become non existent, because of the lack of turns it can abuse it's ability. Sun stall and Hail stall will also take a huge hit, and Pokemon like Cresselia and Donphan are going to become much less common.

Mega Evolutions

Generation 6 have brought us Mega Evolutions for loads of Pokemon. Some of these Mega Evolutions greatly hinder stall teams. Mega Gengar gains the ability Shadow Tag, which prevents switching for all non Ghost type Pokemon. This is exceptionally hard for Stall teams to deal with, as stall teams generally don't have the power output to deal with Gengar (as they generally rely on resudiual damage to KO Pokemon). Mega Absol with it's new ability Magic Bounce is also going to trouble stall teams, as Magic Bounce bounces back hazards and status, meaning it's nearly impossible to burn or get up hazards, allowing Mega Absol to easily get up a Swords Dance.

Mega Charizard X can be annoying for stall teams because it's the only Dragon type immune to burn, so it can setup in the face of a lot of Pokemon that would try to burn it, like Jellicent for example. It also has a seriously good STAB combo, resisted only by Heatran and Azumarill. While I don't think it's going to be nearly as common as Mega Charizard X, Mega Charizard Y could potentially be a huge pain for stall as well because it's very powerful and sometimes will have partners like Venusaur and Sawsbuck, but due to the vast amount of competition from other Megas and Mega Zard X being a much better choice in the metagame, it's hard to consider it a common threat to stall, just something to look out for. Although it might not see much usage, Mega Bannette will trouble stall, as it has a priority Taunt and Will-O-Wisp, as stall teams generally rely on non damaging attacks to inflict damage.

Mega Lucario is also going to be a huge pain for stall, as it was generally dealt with by Ground types that were faster than Lucario (Gliscor, and Landorus-T). Now thanks to Mega Lucario's much higher speed stat, Gliscor and Landorus-T no longer out speed it, meaning they are going to be hit hard by Ice Punch. Although regular Lucario does out damage it with Life Orb, the speed is incredible for Lucario, as well as Adaptability boosting it's STAB Close Combat. It's counter is generally going to be decided on what 4th move slot it's using. Variants running Crunch will be dealt with by Gliscor and Landorus-T, while variants with Ice Punch are going to be dealt with by bulky Psychic types like Reuniclus, Mew, and Celebi (as well as Jellicent). Mega Mawile is gonna be hard for stall teams to face, as it has an icredible attack stat when factoring in Huge Power, as well as having access to Sucker Punch.

Conclusion

I think it's fair to say that stall teams greatly benefited from generation 6. While some strategies like Rain stall and Sun stall I think are going to die out, and Steel types are no longer as good as they once was, stall teams are definitely going to be viable this generation. Please consider that this is all just theory-mon, and this thread is mainly based on my opinion. For all we know, offense might dominate, but it's a very interesting topic to discuss. Thanks for reading.

Some general posting guidelines

- post based off actual game data (no phantasy mons)
- no discussion on what Pokemon/move is gonna be banned
- no one line posts
- please be somewhat intelligent when posting

Last edited:
In your mentioning Mega Evolutions as a downside, you forgot to bring the upside - things like Scizor and Tyranitar who both benefit a stall team more with their Stone (before anyone goes into the Assault Vest argument, no Stalling Tyranitar is going to prefer AV), and Mega Aggron is annoyingly difficult to take down with all but powerful Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Focus Blasts.

i think there is great potential for stall this gen. well, the weather-nerf is kinda bad for weather-oriented stall-teams, but if you you check the rmt-section, there are some nice teams, that are weatherless and kind of successful. heck even offensive teams are good with weatherless.
the big minus this gen is the loss of resistances for steel-types. but there a lot more pokemon now that you can use to build a successful stall-team.

i'm also pretty excited how fairies and metas are going to play in the new metagame - i'm pretty confident, that the mega-stuff is going to settle down after a while, when people realize that megas are a possible handicap if you use too may in a team. but this is another topic ^__^

You should also add boosted trapping move damage to the list of Pros for Stall. Moves like Wrap, Bind, Whirlpool, Firespin, Sand Tomb and Infestation now deal 1/8 hp per turn instead of 1/16, which is kind of amazing when you consider that these moves stack with poison, sandstorm, leech seed and what have you.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Shameful to use? Stall takes more skill than any other playstyle to use, as often you have to really analyze the opponents team and set up a game plan. The whole point of stall is to slowly whittle away at your opponent...

Another thing for stall teams to note is that critical hits have been reduced in damage from 2X to 1.5X, making it easier to stall without being afraid of crits.
Also just a bit confused how HP Grass Zapdos can't hit Rhyperior?
Overall excited for these changes, I love playing stall and I'll definitely use it more often in gen 6!

Shameful to use? Stall takes more skill than any other playstyle to use, as often you have to really analyze the opponents team and set up a game plan. The whole point of stall is to slowly whittle away at your opponent...
The underline is exactly why it is shameful. You go into a match expecting a good honest fight and suddenly one person is having fun and the opponent is forced to rage quit, or frustratingly continue the match. A good match has both opponents having that feeling of victory being just within their grasp, using tactics to win through. Stall uses cheap tricks. Sorry, call me old fashioned, but stall teams in any competitive format, just shows the true colors of the people that use them.

Another thing for stall teams to note is that critical hits have been reduced in damage from 2X to 1.5X, making it easier to stall without being afraid of crits.
Also just a bit confused how HP Grass Zapdos can't hit Rhyperior?
Overall excited for these changes, I love playing stall and I'll definitely use it more often in gen 6!
HP is only 60 Base Power. Combine that with Solid Rock and, well...

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The underline is exactly why it is shameful. You go into a match expecting a good honest fight and suddenly one person is having fun and the opponent is forced to rage quit, or frustratingly continue the match. A good match has both opponents having that feeling of victory being just within their grasp, using tactics to win through. Stall uses cheap tricks. Sorry, call me old fashioned, but stall teams in any competitive format, just shows the true colors of the people that use them.
Something tells me the only mons you use are politoad + keldeo + hydro pump......

Edit: also if you're playing games where you constantly feel like you have a chance of victory, then your opponent isn't doing well. Games aren't won by a slim margin.

HP is only 60 Base Power. Combine that with Solid Rock and, well...
The post talks about gen 5 Zapdos...
Sure, solid rock, but the thing is it's still a 4x effective move in the first place. Not saying Zapdos dominates Rhyperior with HP Grass, but it certainly can take it out easier that way.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mega Venusaur is also probably worth noting! With Thick Fat taking away two of its weaknesses and defensive boosts, it has a lot of potential on stall, especially with reliable recovery in Synthesis that has less reason to worry about weather nerfing it. It also has Leech Seed, Poison STAB to take out annoying Fairy-types, etc. While Ferrothorn and Roserade might have better utility, Thick Fat alone is a pretty huge reason to use Mega Venusaur instead.

Stall's viability seems based on which Megamon are most popular, because the power creep on some of those guys is severe enough to just out muscle many parts of a stall team. There is a benefit though in that if Sticky Web indeed becomes ubiquitous than it affects stall teams less than normal offensive ones. This meta seems like it will be a lot less centralized however. There seem like far too many viable ways to play. As such I think the teams that have the best cohesion and covering for other members will be more vital to success than ever, being able to handle a much broader range of threats. Stall teams generally have such cohesion so if the meta proves wide and inclusive than stall will maintain such viability.

Stall is no more shameful than setup sweep, really. Both result in situations where the opponent has to sit and watch their team go down with no chance of retalliation. Just because it takes longer doesn't mean it's any more shameful. The fact that you are giving your opponent more turns to effectively counter you is why stall is not as strong as offense a lot of the time and takes more skill to use.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Interesting, I'll take a crack.

I'll be using your template of pros and cons as the framework of my past I may agree/disagree with them.

1. Fairies: True. Does help a lot. No longer does Mixmence step in and ruin your party. GF did a good job by making fairy practically resist every common Dragon coverage move. But it goes both ways if viewed objectively. If fairies can completely wall one aspect of DragMag, they face trouble with the other - Mag.
Potentially mags still pose a huge problem, with Heatran alone screwing with every fairy out there, add to that the second aspect of Mag, which is Trapping, can now be done by Mega Gengar, which is not only viable, but touted as the first megamon to face the possible banhammer. With access to STAB poison moves, I'm pretty sure it will emerge as a massive part of the new DragMag strategy in the days to come.

2. Weather Nerf: Another mixed bag, but one I see harming stall more. In Gen5, one of the core principles of stall relied on racking up passive damage, in which Sandstorm notably played a huge role.Weather based stall styles, mainly Rainstall, Sandstall, Hailstall Stallrein style, etc will most probably die out or see very niche usage. Unlike offense which can abuse their respective weather from the get-go with swift swim, sand force/rush, boosted moves etc, stall is the style which relies more on long weather imo, since games typically drag out for 20+ turns (and I'm being conservative here). On the other hand the more offensive weather got a huge boost in form of a second inducer in MegaCharizardY, who can not only take pressure off Ninetales, but also immediately abuse the weather with his nuclear SpA stat (though admittedly SR weakness sucks). Stall cannot afford the same luxury since weather inducers usually share the same weaknesses Water/Grass for TTar+Hippo.
While it's possible to mitigate it by dividing roles between the two mons (Def Hippo+ SpD TTar), 9/10 times it occupies a slot which could have seen some other utility, since defensive synergy is a building block of any good stall team.

3. Mega Evolution: Probably the cutest way of saying 'Fuck Stall'. No question. Also Mega Lucario will be a pain in the ass, even without Ice Punch. According to my Damage research Outlined in This Post, Mega Luke Outdamages most PkMN after +2 with Adaptability CC+Bullet Punch anyways with the exception of Physically Bulky Dnite with Multiscale active, even to whom it does around ~40% (Which is fucking crazy), and manages to 2HKO premiere Stall mons like Landorus and Gyarados THROUGH Intimidate, which is very impressive. If I were asked It honestly doesn't need Ice Punch now, when Crunch helps him better deal with stall mons like Cress, Slowbro, Jellicent, and (potentially) Shield stance Aegislash. So yeah it can comfortable run CC/BP/Crunch and fuck up half the stall teams out there.

4. New Spin Blockers: Shadow tag Mega Gengar. Need I even say anything else? That thing was customized to be a Starmie killer. I suppose that is a (not so fair) compensation for someone who can as easily destroy stall by himself. So idk how to feel about that. Aegislash is also a great asset to the Spinblocking department, cockblocked hard by +Def Tentacruel tho.

5. Steel Nerf: Sucks Balls. Also stops Aegislash from being a Lucario counter

Yeah, Sleep Count restructure, Hidden Power nerf and Sticky Web all benefit stall greatly, except maybe amoonguss annoys general offense less now by disabling one of the mons. But yeah this is a one-up for stall over offense. Also hoping some stall viable mons get Sticky Web. Galvantula just doesn't fit in stall. I guess you can run it as a lead+lategame cleaner, but honestly that would be shoehorning since a lot of other pkmn do that job better.

Reserving Judgment on Parting Shot since the only users discovered till now: the Pancham line, are honestly pretty mediocre stats wise.

Last edited:
Something tells me the only mons you use are politoad + keldeo + hydro pump......

Edit: also if you're playing games where you constantly feel like you have a chance of victory, then your opponent isn't doing well. Games aren't won by a slim margin.
Alakazam, Starmie, Magnezone, Garchomp, Volcarona, Conkeldurr. Aggro all-around team. Just rely on good ol type and move diversity.

Equal opponents are games won by slim margins, but sadly those games are too few and far between.

I cannot believe anyone just referred to anything in a competitive game as "shameful."

Do you know what is shameful? Losing. Winner gets everything, loser gets a lesson about how he could NOT win.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moving the discussion towards stall, the biggest changes come from the mentioned weather changes, Fairy type, and special base power changes. Steel losing its resistances hurt, but if we treat the introduction of the fairy type and the loss of dark+ghost resistances on steels as "overall type chart changes", then we could safely say that stall probably benefits more from it aside from Ghost type attacks becoming better coverage wise(looking at you, Mega Gengar...).

I remember reading about things like Wigglytuff getting more base stats on its defenses, which would further increase stalls viability with more fairy type monsters. Of course stall has to take new threats into account(Belly Drum Azumarill and Mega Evolutions come to mind), but given some time for things to settle we will [hopefully] see stall balanced like it was in gen IV.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Or you actually put your fucking mind into the game and put thought into your moves and put pressure on the opponent, and oh, I don't know, try and break the stall team up? Its not shameful and is certainly a skillful playstyle. What "cheap tricks" does stall use? Strategy to set up hazards and eliminate threats accordingly? It is a viable tactic, and I don't see how you can call stall shameful, unless of course you're the one that always gets beaten by it because you can't manage to break through it, which is a fault in teambuilding. The entire mind of offense is to provide pressure and keep momentum, and also have some stallbreakers added in the mix to actually aid in defeating these types of team more easily. You really have to be kidding me by saying "stall is shameful" and you expect an "honest fight," considering it takes a whole lot more effort nowadays to make a solid stall team than it was previously, which only means more skill. Explain to me how Hyper Offensive teams with Custap Skarm are not shameful then? Maybe they're no equal because you're not a good enough player to come up with such combinations, ever think of that? Oh wait, of course you didn't, because from your posts I already know you know nothing about how stall and other styles of play actually work except for your own.

Cheap Tactics? Really? Cheap tactics would be relying on paraflinch, swagger confusion has to win you games. Those are cheap tactics. Mindless and require absolutely zero skill whereas stall does take skill.

I feel like you just havent learned to beat stall and this is why you don't want it to be around.

Seriously though, the buff to trapping moves is worth a look, has anyone confirmed how much damage they do per turn with a binding band equipped?

If there isn't a "competitive gaming ethics" thread, someone should make one so this doesn't get discussed here where it really shouldn't be.

My opinion is who cares if a tactic is cheap or takes a while or kills you quickly? The only time a strategy should be looked down on is if it sucks or if there is no way to play around it.

"But I can't play around stall! It walls me forever!"

In truth you should be looked down on because your team either sucks or you chose moves that suck in the game. Even paraflinch isn't really "cheap", just "luck-based". But who is best in a game like pokemon is about maximizing your chances which is in part minimizing the amount of luck involved.

I cannot believe anyone just referred to anything in a competitive game as "shameful."

Do you know what is shameful? Losing. Winner gets everything, loser gets a lesson about how he could NOT win.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last thing I want to say on the matter......your rationale basically justifies things like camping in FPS games. It is VERY possible for competitive tactics to be considered shameful. Your second statement tells me that you are willing to do anything to win, even play dirty/cheap, just like campers do.

Despite its viability, to draw out a match, while making your opponent unnecessarily frustrated, is why I use the word "shameful". At least setup-sweeping is faster and the opponent loses in a considerably faster time so he/she can move on quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)