Project SS Ubers - Matchmaking Week 10 Calyrex-I (Ice Horse)

Katy

Banned deucer.
approved by Icemaster

UBERs MATCHMAKING

1631450584220.png

artwork by me (only temporary)

Hello everyone, for anyone who does not know me, I am Katy and started with ORAS Uber and continued my journey through this tier in USUM. I will be the host for this project and I hope we all will have a good and also fun time in this project!

If you have any questions about how this works, here is the explanation: This thread aims to find a partner for 1 specific pokemon in the uber metagame, these partners can consist of more obvious choices but also niche / creative choices, the main purpose is, that these pokemon fit well together and serve a purpose for each other.

Each week a pokemon gets posted and you are more than allowed to submit / suggest partners for it; when this week ends a voting slate will be started in which people are capable of voting for the best partner to that particular pokemon.

The voting slate will end in approximately 2 days so be sure to vote in this stage to get your vote in :)

After the voting has ended, the votes are getting put together and the winner(s) will be determined after these votes; when the winner(s) are determined a new round starts, which means a new pokemon will be posted to find a partner for it.

Rules for this thread!
  • To submit a partner for the pokemon, you must decide which pokemon would be the best partner for it with an explanation (does not have to be an essay, just a general explanation), as to why these two pokemon match well together!
  • Reservations are allowed, but must be completed within 48 hours of posting! After this time, other participants are allowed to take these cores so be wary!
  • In order to encourage creativity and more originality between submissions, the same pokemon can't be used more than once for the same round. (means don't reserve the same pokemon another user already reserved prior!)
  • Please do not try to manipulate or rally voting, that means do NOT vote for yourself, or tell other Users to vote for your submission!

Last but not least; have alot of fun in that project everyone!

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
:ss/marshadow:
Marshadow @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Adamant Nature
- Poltergeist
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
- Rock Tomb

Lets start it off with a cute but terrifying pokemon in the ubers metagame, the ever so dangerous Marshadow. Marshadow with its Choice Band set is capable of breaking walls due to a boosted Poltergeist, and its STAB Close Combat, which in combination with Rock Tomb is capable of putting a lot of pokemon in the Uber tier on pressure. Poltergeist hits most of the metagame for at least neutral damage, whereas Close Combat is anotehr high Base Power attacking move capable of hitting most pokemon for a good damage output. Shadow Sneak is a great forme of priority boosted by Technician aswell, Rock Tomb rounds this pokemons coverage up with being capable of hitting the likes of Ho-Oh for super effective damage. But this fearsome breaker has its issues with some good checks in this metagame, those are Zygarde-C due to its fantastic bulk, physically defensive Groudon, and faster revengekillers such as Choice Scarf Yveltal. What are some pokemon to help Marshadow out in this? What could be great partners to help Marshadow accomplishing its wallbreaking potential to its fullest?

Submission Deadline Ends On Friday the 17th September. Have fun everyone :blobwizard:

Last edited:

GeniusFromHoenn

Finding my way
is a Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
Reserving Xerneas

Xerneas and Marshadow pair well since both pressure each other's checks well. Marshadow pressures Xerneas' checks: Blissey (or Chansey), Necrozma-Dusk-Mane and Ferrothorn (threatening an Ohko with stabs) while Xerneas threatens and provides a switch in to Yveltal, Zygarde-Complete, groudon and in some cases of speed tie with opposing marshadow.
Xerneas @ Air Balloon
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Rest
- Moonblast
- Sleep talk/ Aromatherapy
Air balloon to be temporarily be immune to precerpice blades from groudon and sticky web. After air balloon is poped its immune to opposing marshadow's polterguiest. Moonblast for stab and to pressure marsh's checks. Rest for recovery.

Last edited:

FatFighter2

zacian waifu :flushed:
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Whirlpool
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

Since this is unviable tomb cb marsh instead of the actually good ice punch cb marsh, fini can support marsh by prevent zygarde from resting with its terrain. Can also trap non sludge etern for marsh

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
:sm/groudon:
Groudon @ Lum Berry
Ability: Drought
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Thunder Wave / Fire Punch

As far as I know about Marshadow, it has issues against Yveltal. Groudon makes an excellent partner because not only does it rip thru Uber's unholy trinity in Yveltal, Necrozma and Eternatus, it also utterly destroys Zygarde. Granted, if Zygarde is already on the field, then the rng might mess it up but if Groudon is on the field before Zygarde, then the lum berry will shrug off the glare and the precipice miss will force it into assuming its complete form which then becomes slower than Groudon itself. Groudon then threatens to kill the snek. This is made even nastier if Zygarde suffered some chip damage. I just modified the ev spread since according to the calculator, both defensive complete Zygarde and bulky Groudon clocks at two twenty speed so I invest a little bit more to outspeed it. I just put fire punch as an option because I absolutely hate Ferrothorn

Marshadow ain't cute. It's creepy

Darmanitan-Galar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake

G-darm kills zygarde and groudon and appreciates Marshadow killing Ho-oh. Marsh also threatens ndm after g-darm u-turns into it

Last edited:

Eledyr

Le vilain petit Wooloo
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
Translations Leader

purple horse goes brr (Calyrex-Shadow) @ Choice Specs
Ability: As One (Spectrier)
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Astral Barrage
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Aromatherapy

Having troubles with physical walls such as
or
, Calyrex provides both pressure and utility with its Choice Locked set. Forming a duo-Ghost core, its main interest is to harass again and again checks such as
, to the point it can't check anymore both Marshadow and Calyrex. The main drawback is the fact that once Yveltal is on the field, Calyrex can't switch on it.

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
Reserving Xerneas

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 168 Def / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Geomancy
- Substitute
- Thunder

Xerneas covers almost every mon that gives marsh trouble, Such as Scarf Yveltal and Defensive Ho-Oh. It can also take on a lot of faster mons after a geomancy boost and can comfortable set up on opposing band marshes. Handles most of the flying types that are a threat to marsh.

Most of the marsh variants can take on the special walls that give xerneas a hard time and it can destroy xern's counters if properly set up.

Hence, Marsh and Xern are partners

Marshadow is the sussest mon alive.
Hey you sadly have to chose a different Pokemon, as Xerneas is already reserved. As stated in the ruleset it only can be reserved a particular Pokemon once. But feel free to chose any other Pokemon. There plenty more partners, which Marshadow appreciates :)

Parin

Banned deucer.
Reserving Kyogre.

Kyogre @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Kyogre with choice specs can be devastating and can check a lot of marsh's counters. Ho-oh, Yveltal and etern.

Overall pretty good and spout it pretty powerful

:ss/Magearna:

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Pain Split

Magearna provides a slow Volt Switch to get Marshadow in safely. It can also handle Yveltal and Xerneas decently.

:ss/necrozma-dusk-mane:
Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Leftovers
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SpD / 120 Spe
Careful Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Morning Sun
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Dance

Necrozma Dusk Mane checks Xerneas which is one of Marshadow's biggest opponent. Necrozma also runs Stone Edge so that Marshadow can run Ice Punch as a coverage move, checking Landorus-Therian and Zygarde which also help Necrozma

Last edited:

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Solgaleo @ Leftovers
Ability: Full Metal Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Teleport
- Sunsteel Strike
- Morning Sun
- Future Sight

Future-Port is never going to be a bad thing for Marshadow to have as support. Having the Future Sight up with Marshadow in is a fantastic position to be in, as almost nothing is going to be comfortable switching in to both Ghost and Fighting moves with the Future Sight up in the air, and Teleport is the single most reliable way of getting Marshadow (and anything else) in. Solgaleo also provides a great switch-in for Xerneas, one of the Pokemon that Marshadow struggles with the most.

reserving ferrothorn

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Iron Defense/Curse
- Body Press/Power Whip

switches into scarf yveltal,defensive xerneas very well(cb marsh 2hkoes geo xern anyway)+spikes help pressuring defensive xerneas/zygarde.

ice punch marsh much better.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Helloooo it's me, time to get the voting done, right? So Ladies & Gentleman, our Pokemon is Choice Band :Marshadow: what do you guys think pair well with this Pokemon, to help it out properly?

Here are the options:

Air Ballon RestTalk Xerneas by hoennseptile
Whirlpool + Natures Madness Tapu Fini by FatFighter2
Lum Berry Groudon by Red Raven
Choice Scarf Darmanitan Galar by Mr Geets
Choice Specs Calyrex-Shadow by Eledyr
Choice Specs Kyogre by Parin
Specially Defensive Magearna by HiddenPower23
Dragon Dance Necrozma-DM by Flatemo
Teleport Solgaleo by Aberforth
Spikes Ferrothorn by Hrishioo7

Vote for 2 Pokemon you think pair well. Happy voting everyone! :blobwizard:

Voting slate will end this Sunday!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)