spoony loses his shit

Who the hell is spoony

But seriously, it's the internet. You can not expect people NOT to make rape jokes.

EDIT: I keep reading Snoopy. As in
. That would be funny.

Who the hell is spoony

But seriously, it's the internet. You can not expect people NOT to make rape jokes.
Apparently you can't expect people to NOT have full on breakdowns after getting complaints about shitty jokes either. The internet is an amazing place! Seriously though, this situation was decent schadenfreude for about 5 seconds, but just descended into pathetic really quickly.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
you make a rape joke and now you're mad at the world

yeah, i feel sorry for you

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The guy acts the way he has acted in every video. He is acting the way that got him numerous internet comedy awards. All of a sudden Obscura Lupa (an only ok video reviewer at best) drags the man through the mud, not even stopping after he gets suspended. Pathetic?

I'm not sure whether to feel pity for Phelan that his girlfriend dragged him into this, or to keep in mind that he is the anti-funny.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
vonFieldler have you seen the posts he's made on his twitter account? He's downright psychopathic there, lashing out at anyone and burning bridges left and right. This is not Spoony. Spoony has always shown common decency and respect. Spoony has never claimed he was a god. This isn't a regular meltdown, it's a catastrophic meltdown that mirrors charlie sheen's downfall.

As an aside, the man is suffering from depression which is unfortunate. That said he should be at least held somewhat responsible for the way he's acted on twitter.

The comment in question:

Creeeeeepy.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
PK Gaming, I was a member of Spoony's forum before I was on this one.

You are DEAD wrong. He has always acted like this. Lashing out at trolls? Not advisable, but it's not going to lose him fans. With what little I can dig up, it seems like Spoony himself quit Channel Awesome and that's the real shame.

EDIT: That's the quote? Lupa made it sounds like he said it deadpan in the same room at Jesu and Nash. That's fucking pathetic of Lupa. Every time I've ever bothered to check Spoony's twitter he's talked to his other friends the same way.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
He's not lashing out on trolls, he's lashing out on friends that are concerned for his mental health. Regardless you should really browse through his twitter account (from now, backwards until june 12). He's acting like a grade A douchebag.

Last I checked he was forcibly suspended for 4 weeks, and professionally "taken off" the TGWTG team.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I read his twitter. It genuinely confused me because he is acting the way he always acts. Lashing out at friends? You mean Opscura Lupa and Phelan? They've been participating equally with the insults.

He was suspended for 4 weeks before today's announcement. It was said by the executive producer that they didn't part on bad terms with Spoony. Seeing as they actually HAVE fired people on bad terms before, I'll take them at their word which suggests that Spoony quit.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Found this on neogaf.

While he made insensitive comments to several co-workers, Spoony was becoming a liability on the website. He was let go because the strength of his following didn't overcome his various problems.

Here are the main points:
- He was belligerent on Twitter for a long time and attracting bad press.
- At E3 2011, he made a huge scene over the X-COM FPS. This resulted in the website and any associated members being blacklisted from several companies during gaming events, such as GDC and various gaming expos.
- His productivity was way down. He refused help from his friends/co-workers in getting better and back to work.

Essentially, he was costing the business money and not bringing enough in. I think his recent comments accelerated the inevitable if anything.

If what you're saying is true, and spoony has always been like this (which I doubt) then i've seriously lost a ton of respect for him. I never saw him as the type of guy to have a callous unconcern for the feelings of others. I fully understand getting mad over people making a big deal out of a joke you made (which in hindsight, might not have been the best of jokes) but instead of leaving things be and showing some sort of restraint, he throws temper tantrum and flips his shit on twitter.

EDIT: I loved spoony. This is just a fucked up unfortunate situation, I wish this didn't happen.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
The status quo is changing very little. Lupa and Spoony both have lost friends over this because neither of them could just calm down. Yet everyone should feel sorry for Spoony because of his poor mental health blah blah blah.

Lupa is projecting something fierce, her blog against rape jokes had a strange undertone of accusing Spoony of stalking his female coworkers, further enforced when she linked a blog about coworkers hitting on women and how hard it is to be a female comedian on the internet when she's unattractive (and uh, she isn't really). Cry me a river, go try having the same dream job in the mass media. She's even brought up Spoony's old girlfriend and insulted him on his inability to find a new one. This bitch is cray-cray.

Yeah, what I say is true, but I wouldn't call it callous unconcern for the feelings of others. He has always just reacted poorly to when others showed unconcern for him. I don't think you have to be depressed to do that, there wouldn't be trolls if there weren't ample amounts of people who would respond to them.

While not a firebrand with the trolls, TGWTG has an affiliated website built by Angry Joe, a man who has done waaaaay more to piss off gaming journalists (intentionally and frankly, justified).

Finally, his productivity has never been good. Frankly in the early days of TGWTG, they brought Spoony on because Spoony had more fans that eventually became TGWTG fans (they did the same thing with AVGN and have since with other popular internet personalities).

The worst part at the end of the day? TGWTG really appealed purely because it seemed like a big group of friends, people you'd want to go hang out with. Lupa goes on about context when talking about rape jokes, but when the context is friendly banter there's no need for censorship. I've made similar jokes with friends of both gender, been the target of them, witnessed others making inappropriate jokes with their friends. Lupa has ruined that appeal, because now it's a group where a paranoid idiot can self-righteously ostracize another member and come out acting like the hero. I've known groups like that in real life, and they are not groups that I gravitate towards.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
as far as rape jokes go, that one's pretty docile. There must be more to this than face value

and also because I originally wanted to post only this: YOU SPOONY BARD

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
One employee on the site got mad about it and complained. Channel Awesome went into sterile corporate mode and suspended Spoony for 4 weeks. He went into snarky mode, which made him a prime target for trolls. Seeing this, said employee sought him out and started insulting him, even dragging her boyfriend into it. Even though Lupa was the antagonist, someone sold the idea that Spoony was going into a depressive meltdown because hey, I guess when you actually have depression there's always the chance that someone can use that against you. Things got bad AFTER Lupa slung shit around. Yet no one calls her crazy. Except for me.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Another thread about internet drama, sigh

I sincerely hope congbot doesn't turn into a goddamn tabloid

As for my actual opinions on the matter: as a woman, I'm more bothered that people get worked up about rape jokes than jokes about brutal murders and suicide that for instance feature in a number of Nostalgia Critic videos. Everyone involved needs to chill the fuck out and realize that it's the internet, people post about fucked up shit because they can't do it in everyday life, grow a thick skin and get over it.

While I don't like rape jokes in general, I really doubt Spoony was offering that as a serious suggestion. Whatever Lupa said, it does seem like she's blown it way out of proportion.

That said, Spoony's reaction was... disturbing. I actually had a hard time telling if he really was trying to defuse the situation with humor (like he said he was), or if he really did lose it with the Star Wars replies. And threatening to block people that seemed to be concerned about him? Yikes.

In the end, I'll probably end up watching Spoony's videos tomorrow at some point or another. He does make funny stuff, even if I disagree with him sometimes. (Counter Monkey is pretty awesome, IMO.)

My favorite part about the situation is the response to the situation by JesuOtaku (the girl mentioned in the comment that started this mess). Basically, it amounts to "The situation had nothing to do with me, and I'm not getting involved. End of discussion, capiche?" Good to know she's mature about this whole mess. I've always liked her; she seems like someone I could get along with in real life if I knew her.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)