Strategy & Metagame Speed Demons: An Analysis on the Significance of the Speed Stat

Status
Not open for further replies.
My idea for a Smog article is an analysis on why the speed stat has become so important in the current metagame. It will show why speed has become such a significant factor in the game and give examples of Pokemon that (may) have contributed to the state of the metagame, such as Greninja or Charizard.

Valentine

Banned deucer.
the idea seems fine but i'm not so sure about the execution, since iongammarays has two posts on the website. valmanway, keep a close eye on the article on the other side.

approved, i guess.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll approve this as well. Bummer , could you give iongammarays access to the workshop? And don't worry Valentine, I'll keep an eye on iongammaray's progress.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Given how little we know about you, iongammarays , I'd first like you to write a sample of this article that we can use to judge both your writing skills and your knowledge of the meta. Based on that, we can feel more comfortable about making the call of approving this article. Alternatively, you could also write a full skeleton of the article, where you detail what topics you'll cover, the Pokemon you'll be using as examples, and one or two sentences explaining the gist of each subheading.

First of all, I would like to thank you for considering to approve my article. Now here is my summary of what my piece would look like.

My first paragraph will a basic introduction on how the metagame used to rely on bulk, with the thesis being the Mega Evolutions and new Pokemon are to blame.

My second point is about the new Pokemon and their speed stats. It uses base speed as an evidence that Gen 6 Pokemon are all about speed. One example I am using is Talonflame.

My next analysis point is based on the speed of Mega Evolutions, using examples like Alakazam and Mewtwo as subjects.

I will then implore the reader to question how adding fast Pokemon shifted an established metagame to focus on speed. I will have a "mini-thesis" on how previously established Pokemon with a high speed contributed and about how the attack stats of Gen 6 Pokemon are to blame.

Next, I will use Darkrai as an example. I will inform the readers on how Darkrai was a speedy terror in the previous generations, and how Mega Mewtwo Y rendered him useless due to its own speed, ability, and movepool.

I will also use the addition of Blazikens new hidden ability, Speed Boost, as a main point in my article.

My final piece of evidence will be be using Greninja and Hawlucha's attack stats. It will show how two popular Pokemon changed the metagame due to their "glass cannon" status. It will detail how they can dish out large damage without taking any themselves due to the potential to outspeed their opponents.

The conclusion to this article will be a recap of my main points and will implore the reader to find any other evidences of the importance of speed in the metagame.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
After thinking about it and talking to a few people, I think it'll be better for you to write it after you've had more experience both here and in the metagame. Thanks for applying for writing for The Smog and we look forward to your other ideas you have in the future!

To the others: soz about the highlights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)