Other Features Speculation: XY Starters in Competitive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Hi! I looked down the list of articles in the workshop and was surprised to see that there was no article on the starters of Pokemon XY. I'd like to try writing an article highlighting the three new starters, explaining their strengths and unique qualities, and what makes this set of three stand out from the sets of starters in previous games. I'd also like to touch on their final forms and what role they play in competitive and what tier they are likely to fall into, as well as mentioning how they might compare and contrast with similar mons that already exist and have functions in competitive. I'll also mention how the typings of this trio interestingly are made up of two types that are super-effective on the next counterpart in this triangle of what beats what. This is to be both an informative and competitive article. ♥

Chesnaught

Generation VI brings with it a cute new rodent Pokemon whose final stage happens to be a physical juggernaut. Enter the first Grass-type starter to become a Grass/Fighting-type. Its raw STAB power in moves such as Wood Hammer and Hammer Arm allow Chesnaught to deal massive damage to enemies. STAB Fighting coverage is a coveted thing in Pokemon, as it threatens a wide variety of types, and STAB Grass attacks let it pose a considerable threat to Water- and Ground-types, an edge most other Fighting-types cannot lay claim to. The fact that the newly introduced Fairy-types have an offensive and defensive advantage against Fighting-types hurts Chesnaught in addition to the many weaknesses its typing already would have granted it had they not been introduced. Chesnaught is a cool Pokemon that must be played carefully in order to be effective, and its defensive shortcomings may be too much for it to really shine in competitive despite its strengths.

Chesnaught is likely to be NU this generation; RU at the highest. Reasons for this include that it has 6 weaknesses, including a 4x weakness to Flying, it faces stiff competition from Breloom, a fellow Grass/Fighting-type that has a 100% accurate Sleep move, higher offensive power, and better Speed. One thing it does have over Breloom is it has the physical bulk to tank a few hits, and this can be used in conjunction with Leech Seed and Substitute to serve as a SubSeeding wall. It can also make use of Curse and STAB Hammer Arm to give it high offensive power while lowering its Speed to power up its Gyro Ball attack. Lastly, Chesnaught has access to Earthquake and Spikes, two important moves that Breloom lacks. It gets the exclusive move Spiky Shield, which acts as the move Protect but also causes a little damage to any Pokemon that makes contact during the turn the move is used, but it can be easily played around, especially since mostly special attacks will be aimed at it to hit its weaker defensive stat, and very few of those make contact. It gets the exclusive Bulletproof ability, which grants it an immunity to certain bomb- and ball- based attacks, but the only useful immunity this offers is one to Sludge Bomb, but most Pokemon that get Sludge Bomb also have access to Sludge Wave, which is slightly more powerful anyway. Overall, it's very odd that Chesnaught is incompatible with Drain Punch, having the typing that it does, and its low Speed combined with its plethora of weaknesses (including a weakness to the new Fairy type), it is probably not going to see very much usage in the higher tiers, though it can probably work well under Trick Room with the right team matchup. Chesnaught will likely be seen in the lower tiers, either sapping opponents of their life energy or muscling through them altogether.

Delphox

A Fire-type fox isn't exactly a new concept (we've had Vulpix and Ninetales since RBY), but the design and unique capabilities of the final form of this starter more than warrant it a title of its own. A welcome change from the string of Fire/Fighting-type starters we've seen since RSE, Delphox turned out to be a Fire/Psychic-type, a typing shared only by the hidden legend Victini from last generation. Having impressive special stats and Speed, as well as a resistance to the new Fairy-type, this thing is bound to burn holes into the competition. While Delphox has its defensive drawbacks, including an annoying weakness to Stealth Rock and painful weaknesses to Earthquake and Pursuit, its offensive abilities and its whopping seven resistances are enough to assure that it will be making its mark in the competitive metagame.

Delphox is likely to end up in UU, where it will obviously be compared to Victini. While Victini does have better stats overall as well as access to U-turn and the obscenely destructive V-create, Delphox has higher Special Attack as well as Speed, allowing it to outdo the legend in terms of quickness and special offense. It gets the exclusive move Mystical Fire, which not only deals special STAB Fire-type damage, but also lowers the Special Attack of its target, thereby damaging the enemy as well as lowering their offensive capabilities in one attack, and provides Delphox with a unique edge that no other Fire-type starter has ever possessed. Fire/Psychic typing has the advantage this generation of not only being resistant to the new Fairy-type, but also having an offensive advantage over the only two types that threaten Fairy-types, Poison and Steel. The exclusive ability Magician allows Delphox to steal an opponent's item during an attack after having consumed or lost its own, and this can be used to both damage a foe and deprive them of their precious item with any one attack. It certainly has its shortcomings on the physical side, and it isn't without its weaknesses, but with its amount of positive traits combined with its ability to screw with the opponent in many ways should make Delphox a worthy contender, capable of working its infernal sorcery to corrupt the enemy.

Greninja

Pokemon has had a lot of frogs introduced in its games, but nothing quite like what Froakie becomes upon developing into its final form. The first Water-type starter to also have Dark typing, Greninja is an incredible creature that possesses a few traits that tons of other Pokemon wish they had, and that goes far beyond just other Water-type starters. Greninja is able to wash away foes with its impressive offensive prowess combined with its versatility, and is a very unique addition to competitive, particularly because of an amazing new exclusive ability that is only available to its evolutionary line and Kecleon. It will certainly be stamping itself a position of considerable might in the metagame.

Greninja is probably going to stay in OU. If there is any Pokemon who could be whatever it wants, whenever it wants, while retaining its preferred moveset, this would be it. Its ability Protean allows Greninja to literally alter its typing to match any move it selects, which allows Greninja to change its resistances to have an advantage in almost any situation; and it changes typing BEFORE it moves, which not only lets it actively switch between types for a defensive advantage, but it also grants Greninja STAB on every single attack. Any super-effective hit it scores on anything is going to sting like hell, since STAB will be applied in addition to double damage every time. With its high special offense and blistering Speed, it is sure to rain on any opponent's parade. It also gets the exclusive move Water Shuriken, which isn't a very strong attack, but it provides Greninja with the first ever multi-hit attack that also has priority, and can come in handy when finishing off foes, particularly ones with higher Speed. It doesn't take hits very well, but it's not designed to, and with access to U-turn, it can flee to safety after hitting hard with a STAB Bug-type attack, and its resistance to Pursuit helps it immensely in getting away safely when the time is right. With its ability to maintain momentum for its team as well as pose one of a variety of potent offensive threats that can change with every turn, Greninja is almost certain to see high usage and competitive acclaim in this new generation.

--

Sorry, I pretty much went and wrote pretty much the whole article! ♥ Once I started writing it was hard to not be complete about it, I guess. If this is approved, I may come up with a more witty title and add a conclusion and a more detailed introduction. I'm happy to have this chance to contribute and I hope you like my idea! :)

Last edited:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd approve for this to move on into the workshop. But the next part cannot be enough emphasized: The XY starters have been a tremendous source of discussion and debate in the forums regarding both their potential and competitive use, so before this article even grazes the GP stage, we need to have a lot of users knowledgeable in not only OU but also lower tiers to either confirm or debunk everything you've written for these critters. If there are too many flaws, or if the article is deemed to be insufficient, we may even need to delegate the topic to another writer(s). So while your enthusiasm is great, you need to be fully aware that this is one of XY's flagships and that our readerbase will not react too kindly if it's not handled properly.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
I researched the capabilities of these and tried them in OU extensively before writing.

While I feel my information is as accurate as it can get from a speculative standpoint, I respect the quality control necessary for a piece like this and I understand completely. I'll see that all of this is correct and approved by respected and knowledgeable players, and I will not proceed to ask for GP until I have permission from Smog Staff. :) If you or any other Smog Staff have anyone in mind who has Workshop access and who you think would make good judges of the content in this article, please feel free to send them my way. Thanks! ♥

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)