so eggs start out at LV1 this time. how do you find good IVs effectively?

My starter had a very strong sign it's IVs were all over 20 at the beginning, and they were.. But at lv1, how do you tell from a group of 20 different Modest Gastlys what the best ones are quickest?

Save, use rare candies, calc ivs, reset. This was pretty mandatory in rs to get decently accurate IVs too although rare candies seem to require more effort to obtain in dp.

leonard does have a point, though. its rather frustrating. like when breeding adamant larvitars, at level 5, (to the best of my knowledge) hp was supposed to be 12, attack was 13, defense was 11, sp atk didnt matter, sp def was 11, spd was 10. if any of the stats were lower, i didnt even bother checking the ivs, as it meant one stat was below ~20.

this doesnt really seem doable with a lvevl 1 pokemon :/

if you dont have rare candies you can use the auto level up function and battle someone you know or battle yourself. u should be able to automatically see them at level 50, so that will give you an accurate read of what you're looking for. i haven't tested this myself but ive read it on more than one forum so im pretty sure its legit.

edit: beaten

I suspect for people without two DSes the wifi battle thing will probably end up being too time consuming to be efficient.

As far as the Battle Tower thing, it doesn't work because your level is only adjusted down - that is, I can enter with a level 100 pokemon but it will be reduced to level 50 in the tower, but if I enter with a level 1 pokemon it will stay level 1 since it is lower than level 50.

I guess you could also just stick 'em in the daycare and bike around for two seconds. It doesn't take a lot of biking to level a pokemon up from level one.

You can also stick an exp share on them and and go kill a wild pokemon... I believe exp share gives EVs as well, but you have 2 "throwaway" EVs anyway so it's ok.

Or kill a Pokemon from the Elite Four or some other high-level trainer you've saved up somewhere. That should give you a pretty big level-up.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The problem is that, in Emerald, you could quickly tell which pokemon to trash and not even bother checking via Metalkid. This could eliminate most newly-hatched eggs from the pool of potentials. This doesn't work as well at level 1, I'm assuming.

Obviously you'd check exact DVs via wifi battling or Metalkid anyway, but you want to be able to release all the trash ones before you waste time checking.

Is there a guy in D/P who will tell you about your IVs? (Like the guy in emerald did)

I don't actually have the game to check :(

I can pretty safely say that simply sticking the Level 1 Pokemon in the daycare and biking around for a few minutes might be a better method then using Rare Candy's (not to mention the fact that in D/P, they are rarer then in Emerald). Solaceon Town has a nice 100+ steps route, where you can simply bike straight up and down.

I believe its Route 209 - Solaceon Town - Route 210. Just try to find a way where people won't get in your way.

Beating a trainer or Elite Four member's Pokemon can screw up you EVs though, assuming the Pokemon defeated is giving you EVs you don"t want.

I can pretty safely say that simply sticking the Level 1 Pokemon in the daycare and biking around for a few minutes might be a better method then using Rare Candy's (not to mention the fact that in D/P, they are rarer then in Emerald). Solaceon Town has a nice 100+ steps route, where you can simply bike straight up and down.

I believe its Route 209 - Solaceon Town - Route 210. Just try to find a way where people won't get in your way.

Beating a trainer or Elite Four member's Pokemon can screw up you EVs though, assuming the Pokemon defeated is giving you EVs you don"t want.
You can just shut off the game after you beat the trainer and find the EVs. You just have to remember to take into account the EVs they give you.

Is the bike path near the daycare like it was in R/S/E? The huge long spot you could bike was great, because you could see the daycare guy. If you need level 15 for the average poke (1M exp) its 3375 steps... That'll get boring.

Didn't someone say that rare candies were more common in D/P?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Solaceon town (Zui town) is the town with this long road thingy. It's also where the breeding center is.

I just found out that stat-reducing berries can be found randomly by the berry master, and along routes of 211-230, something like that. Yay for not worrying about bad EV training, boo it taking 36 hours for each tree to grow T-T

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hippo said:
Didn't someone say that rare candies were more common in D/P?
Rare candies can't be more common in DP, seeing as how you could clone them in Emerald.

Can't you still use just send over a bunch of Linoones or train them and just use pickup to get a decent amount of rare candies like 20 or so? Or did they change pick up some how?

Rare candies can't be more common in DP, seeing as how you could clone them in Emerald.
You could also clone them in the japanese version of DP. I'm not sure if it works for the english versions though. Btw, "IV battles" (both players choose 6 pokes and wifi battle at level 100 to get precise IV's) are a lot faster than rare candies.

You could also clone them in the japanese version of DP. I'm not sure if it works for the english versions though. Btw, "IV battles" (both players choose 6 pokes and wifi battle at level 100 to get precise IV's) are a lot faster than rare candies.
How so?

Even if you have two DS Systems along with two copies of the 4th Generation games, it still takes quite a bit of time. And if you have to battle somebody else it would be just terrible.

On the other hand though, Candies take a minute or two to use. Sure, unless you use a fair amount you won't know your exact IVs, but it's a rough idea.

Can you even do that with just the Wireless Colosseum?
I'm just taking somebody else's word for it, as I haven't taken one step into the WiFi/Wireless battle rooms yet. I remember somebody mentioning the two DS' and making them auto level 100 for the battle though. So frankly, I'm not too sure.

If in fact that you can only do it with WiFi though, it just proves my point even more x)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)