#smogonvgc Live Tournament Week 6 - Tornadus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, in an effort to promote activity here in the VGC subforum, we'll be holding a practice tournament this Friday at 5 pm US central time (GMT -6). If this tournament goes over well enough, we'll do more like it and hopefully have more fun stuff for everyone. This week, we'll be giving away a flawless Timid Tornadus (soft reset by Nelson_Tangela) to everyone that enters the tournament to use in future live tournaments, or one of the many premier challenges being held across the US (and the world?).

This week, myself and Professor Birch will be running the bracket.

View the bracket here

The rules are simple:
  • Flat Doubles, pentagon Pokemon ONLY. Basic VGC rules here, folks. If it's not allowed on ORAS Battle Spot, it isn't allowed here.
  • For the purpose of having the tournament run on time, strategies such as Minimize are STRONGLY discouraged. Id' like to keep this tournament fun and fast; these strategies are neither.
  • Competitors will need a copy of Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire to enter.
  • The tournament will be Swiss, best of one with a top cut that will be determined by how many people enter (or depending on time constraints)
  • Each round will last a maximum of 30 minutes. If the match is not completed within the timeframe, it will be up to the host to decide who wins or who loses.
  • If there is a disconnection, it will be up to the host to decide who wins or who loses. Make sure to have a camera handy to get some proof if you're nervous about this.
  • Since this is a non-weighted practice tournament, you may change your team between rounds. However, it might be better practice for you not to do so.
  • You must join the IRC channel #smogonvgc in order to participate.

Tornadus -
Boreboss

Nature: Timid - Ability: Prankster
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31

This week, we have a ORAS native Tornadus courtesy of Nelson_Tangela. Between its two forms, its got some powerful special attacking prowess behind it with what's probably the best offensive type in the game. Enjoy!

So even if you're not confident in your skills or your team, remember that this is just for practice and that you're getting a free Tornadus. Stop by #smogonvgc this Friday to show your support for VGC on Smogon! I hope to see you then!

The link for the IRC channel, #smogonvgc is Here.

HOW TO RECEIVE TORNADUS:
  • Step 1: Catch a Whismur
  • Step 2: Offer the Whismur for a Tornadus on the GTS. If you haven't registered Tornadus in your Pokedex yet, you can type its name in at the bottom.
  • Step 3: Enter your username that you entered the tournament with in the message box, or simply put #smogonvgc. If you don't do this, you'll be ignored!
  • Step 4: At about 4:30pm EST, our distributor will start giving out the Tornadus. Refresh the GTS to receive your Tornadus. Enjoy!
This has been going for 6 weeks now and it's really incredible. Let's keep it up!

Last edited:
I don't work tommorow, and I've got new shit to test. Will probably be there - I adored the battles last week.
edit: I'll wait to sign up until after I confirm that I don't have dinner plans tommorow.

Last edited:
How long would this last approximately? I'm interested to see if I can be in this and play my NB Major game right after.
It depends on the number of people/rounds. Last time, it was 5 rounds, with each lasting 30 mins. ~3 hours, with all the delay between rounds. Top cut was an hour after that

It starts 11PM for me. That's just painful, as it ended at around 2AM last week. But practice is practice, and I need as much as I can for NB Majors
I know, I live in Norway so for me it starts one hour after that again. Loving these tournaments but staying up to almost 3AM is a real pain.

No one knows if we have dinner plans or not so... I'm just going to skip this tourney. I do have next Friday off - will try to participate again then. :/

Due to a technical error, we won't be able to support check ins this week. If you signed up, you're good. The tornadus distrobution is also live! It may take a while to get to you, but we've began distributing.

Also, I mistakenly put the start time as 6pm CST instead of EST. The tourament starts at 6pm EST (about 40 mins)

For those that wanted to see replays of the final match, the codes are:

Round 1:
4YLW-WWWW-WWX9-J7TX

Round 2:
B8YW-WWWW-WWX9-J8B9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)