Other [Smogon Triple] Rainy trick room with Mega Ampharos

Hi guys! This is my first RMT and i apologize in advance for any mistake as i'm not english native speaker.
I've been into triple battles since XY because they require a lot of thinking and strategy to make a good team and also you get to use some very cool moves that are completely useless in singles and not as effective in doubles.
I peaked #17 some time ago on showdown before the ladder was reset while now I'm #36 (as Tommerz) but I was number 2 in my country ladder in rating battles (XY League).

This is the team:

I wanted to build a team that could exploit to the fullest the 165 BS Sp.atk of Mega Ampharos so it had to be a trick room team and at the same time a rain team in order to have a 100% accuracy Thunder to spam

Obviously, I needed a trick room setter and jellicent turned out to be the right choice, being the only water pokemon that is also immune to the ever present fake out.

I looked at the pokemon that can learn water spout and octillery was the slowest and the one with the highest sp. atk (except kyogre).

Under rain hurricane has perfect accuracy and can help me deal with grass types. Pelipper was the perfect choice because it also learns wide guard, a must-have for any team playing triples.

Crawdaunt entered the team as my physical attacker due to its raw power and a priority move in aqua jet.

What's the simplest way to get rain on the field? Politoed, of course!

After some playing I found some difficulties in keeping the rain against teams using mega charizard and ninetales that forced me to keep on switching in and out politoed, so I replaced it with meowstic because it has priority rain dance and also the essential fake out.

My team lacked feint, a must-have in triples. Sableye does exactly what meowstic does, but it also learns feint.

The team:

Jellicent @ Mental Herb/Lum Berry
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Water Spout
- Recover

Jellicent, my trick room setter. Once it sets it, it helps the main offensive mons destroy the opposing team. At full HP, a water spout under rain does a lot of damage even uninvested, and recover is there to keep your life full. As I already said, being ghost type makes it immune to fake out, while mental herb deals with encore and taunt users. Since lately taunt is not that common in triples, the lum berry can be used to deal with swagger, random para and sleep but I still prefer the former. The EVs are to maximize both its defense stats, so that it's not KOed by anything bar crits.

Octillery @ Splash Plate
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
- Protect

This red octopus has destroyed entire teams several times. The first turn 99% you go with protect, waiting for the trick room to be set. Then 99% just click water spout and see your foe's team fall apart. Under the rain and with the splash plate attached it becomes a nuke that hits all your opponent's mons. Some calculations:
252+ SpA Splash Plate Octillery Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir in Rain: 241-285 (86.6 - 102.5%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Splash Plate Octillery Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan in Rain: 313-369 (88.9 - 104.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
Thanks to sniper, if you get a crit you can also kill a physically defensive ferrothorn!
Energy ball is there mainly to hit gastrodon and quagsire with water absorb while ice beam brings down salamence (even though water spout brings it to less than half HP:
252+ SpA Splash Plate Octillery Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence in Rain: 186-220 (56.1 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). The 252 EVs in defense (as you may be wondering) are for reducing to the minimum the damage by priority moves, since all of them (except the never used vacuum wave) are physical.

Sableye @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fake Out
- Rain Dance
- Feint
- Taunt/Quash/Knock Off

Sableye is the most passive pokemon i have in the team but it has a lot of functions: first of all, fake out helps jellicent set the trick room; second, it's my rain setter and it can completely screw mega card Y who uses solar beam by locking in into the field and third but probably the most important is my feint user. Feint is a staple in triples since it negates the effects of protect, quick guard and most importantly wide guard, thus allowing octillery to spam water spouts with no fear. it's also a high priority move which can finish off pokemon kept alive by focus sash or sturdy. The last move is for support: knock off is to give sableye more an offense presence, taunt is to shut down klefki that can be troublesome with the dual screens and swagger (you first need to use fake out on it on turn 1 so that you are "faster" than it after the trick room is set). Quash (which is available only in ORAS) is another way to stop other mons that use priority moves by making them go last (mainly talonflame or mega kanga sucker punch under trick room).

Pelipper @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Hurricane
- Brine
- Wide Guard
- Rain Dance

Pelipper saved me several times. Its main role is to support the team with wide guard. Wide guard protects the team from multi target moves like earthquake, hyper voice, rock slide and many others. It also protects from ally pokemon multi target move, like mega ampharos discharge. If those moves aren't a problem, then just spam 100% accuracy STAB hurricane boosted by sharp beak, and since it's a flying type attack, it can hit mons on the opposite side of the field, while brine is great for taking care of weakened mons. The EVs are to maximize damage output and rain dish works as leftovers under rain.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunder
- Discharge
- Protect

Tha star of the team, even though many times it doesn't even get the chance to appear. Most times octillery has already taken down half your opponent team, so ampharos can come in and remove those bulky water types the octopus can't defeat:
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowking: 320-378 (81.2 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lapras: 354-416 (76.2 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Thunder vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Rotom-W: 220-261 (72.6 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Dragon pulse is for STAB and also because it can hit pokemon on the other side of the field so ampharos can kill mons that on the other hand can't touch it, while discharge is to hit your opponents team in case ampharos is left in a corner of the field with no pokemon next to it or when pelipper uses wide guard.

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Brave Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Brick Break

Whenever the crab comes in, at least another pokemon falls with it. Under the rain aqua jet almost finishes off what doesn't resist it while waterfall utterly destroys walls:
252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Sylveon in Rain: 343-406 (87 - 103%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
I chose waterfall over crabhammer for the accuracy even tho the difference in power is quite a lot. Brick break is for breaking screens but i hardly ever use it. Don't use it against some normal type only because it's super effective! Waterfall hits harder if not resisted:
252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Kangaskhan in Rain: 354-416 (100.8 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Crawdaunt Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 354-416 (100.8 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Knock off is for dealing with those bulky water types that resist waterfall:
252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 198-234 (65.3 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Sorry if i put a lot of calculations but it's just for showing you how strong crawdaunt is!
The 252 EVs are put in defense instead of HP because it's special defense is too low to benefit from the HP investment, therefore I put them all in defense so that it could survive better some priority moves.

Amoonguss. That's the biggest threat ever. being this slow, it outspeeds all my team under trick room and can start sporing them one after the other. Or killing them directly with giga drain. Just hope your opponent is dumb and uses sludge bomb or rage powder for no reason. Pelipper hurricane can 2ko it if I am not wrong but you're gonna lose almost always.

If they set up screens (mainly light screen) it gets troublesome. Sableye can shut them with taunt while octillery kills any physical defensive variant while takes 80% off any special defensive one.

Its movepool consisting of feint, fake out and above all wide guard is a problem, and to make things worse its special bulk is good enough to survive a couple hits from everyone. Just keep sableye alive so that it can use feint otherwise wideguard prevents octillery from sweeping with water spout.

Excellent special bulk and great offensive presence in hyper voice allow sylveon to sweep my whole team if not taken care of. Pelipper can use wide guard to stop hyper voice and crawdaunt kills it in one shot.

Thank you so much for reading till the end! I hope you enjoyed this rmt and now wanna try the wonderful world of triples :)

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Brave Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Brick Break

Octillery @ Splash Plate
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
- Protect

Jellicent @ Mental Herb
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Water Spout
- Recover

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunder
- Discharge
- Protect

Sableye @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fake Out
- Rain Dance
- Feint
- Quash

Pelipper @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Hurricane
- Brine
- Wide Guard
- Rain Dance

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)