SMOGON KARAOKE 2012 ROUND 6: THE SAME, BUT DIFFERENT

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
LN won our last round, but I forgot what song he sang because RODAN ate all the submissions. Anywho, I'm your MC again, and we're going on to the next round.

FAMOUS COVERS

Yo dawg, I heard that karaoke was basically people covering songs, so I figured we'd do covers of covers so you could cover while you covered. Basically, we're doing some Inception shit up in this bitch. Participants must choose a song that was originally done by one artist, but performed by another artist in a sufficiently different way. "Sufficiently different" is up to the discretion of your MC (in other words, me). In order for me to judge better, please post the original song and the cover in your reservation post, or in your submission post should you forgo a reservation.

Karaoke rules:
  • You have nine days to submit your entry. Since this round begins on April 30th, you have until 11:59 pm of May 9th to submit your entry, at which point voting will begin. Voting will last three days, at which point a new round will begin.
  • You are permitted to reserve a song for three days. If the three days come and pass and you still haven't posted your entry, the song becomes fair game and you will not be permitted to reserve another song until the next round.
  • You are allowed to submit entries after the deadline for any particular round, but keep in mind that once people vote in the poll they can't change their votes. Also keep in mind that to change a poll, we need an smod, so there is no guarantee that your late entry will be posted to the poll in a timely manner, if at all.
  • Songs that you submitted in previous rounds cannot be used again. Songs that were previously sung by other people in other rounds are acceptable, but totally lame and we will make you sit with the nerdy kids at lunch if you do it.

Here are some sites that will work for uploading your entries:

http://soundcloud.com/
http://tindeck.com/

Also, this is a rather nifty program for recording your entries!

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You know i wanted to create my very own music thread since it was becoming a trend, but then i was like "nah" in hopes the music thread in SS would be moved here. Oh well.
Its been awhile since i've participated in one of these, since round 1 i believe, too long

Man wer, pretty good theme ^_^, very flexible. a few of the songs that came to mind when i first saw the theme were

Michael Jackson - My Girl (originally by The Temptations)
The Blanks - Hey Ya (originally by Outkast)
Michael Jackson - Ain't No Sunshine (originally by Bill Withers)
Mariah Carey - I Want To Know What Love Is (originally by Foriegner or maybe even someone before them)
Michael Jackson - Smile (originally by Nat King Cole)

But of course, the song i wanted to do was none other than the over-covered song "Hallelujah", originally by Leonard Cohen. I swear this song has been covered over 50 times, and thats just the famous, well known, big artist covers. Since the most overdone and well known cover is by Jeff Buckley, and since i still want to do this song but at the same time dont want to be "that guy that covered that song everyone covers", I have decided to pick one of the other 49, lesser known covers of Hallelujah.

Reserving: Alexandra Burke - Hallelujah

if you still think that the song is just one to be avoided, Jeff Buckley version or not, its just way too over done, then let me know. I dont mind doing something else.

alright! before i leave, i did a cover of a cover in the past, right here on smogon in fact. It was in the finals of DM karaoke competition (back when there were levels involved and people got eliminated each round, lol)
This is a song originally by Kings of Leon, covered by Pixie Lott (and then, of course, by me)

Ninahaza - Use Somebody Hope you Enjoy it!

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Man someone grabbed Smooth Criminal right off the bat...

Tentatively reserving "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic", originally by The Police and covered by Ra

I'm going to step up to the bat this round.

Reserving: Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls

Done in the style of Boyce Avenue. The cover can be found here

pookar

Banned deucer.
so um which insutrmental/style does the karaoke have to be in? can it be in either, or a mix ?

either way: hallowed be thy name originally done by iron maiden covered by ICED EARTH

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Alright i changed my mind. I'm going with a song i did on the side for a friend back in round 1. a cover of acoustic cover of Adele's Rolling in the deep.
Rolling in the Duyeep

Alright wer, just in case you disapprove of the above because Adele's song hasn't really been covered by another "artist", and therefor can just be seen as a cover instead of a cover of a cover. I'll leave the contents of the below hide tag as my back up submission

I'mma get your heart racing
In my low cut jeans
Be your teenage dream tonight
Let you put your hands on me
In my low cut jeans
Be your teenage dream tonight

Ninahaza - Teenage Dream (originally by Katy Perry)

EDIT: lol, sorry if i took the song you wanted to do Kitty, but now its ALL YOURS

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
the original
[youtube]CVS5rS_da9E[/youtube]

the cover
[youtube]lzUZ4Ak5Yr4[/youtube]

the first time our band covered the cover
[youtube]4diJdDotpaw[/youtube]

I'll probably post a new studio version because that was pretty rough.

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
There seems to be some confusion, so I'm going to reiterate and clarify the rules:

Participants must choose a song that was originally done by one artist, but performed by another artist in a sufficiently different way.
This means that yes, you should be recording in the style of the cover rather than the original.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Cover:
A Perfect Circle - The Nurse Who Loved Me
[youtube]CWRDZwV8jGE[/youtube]
Original:
Failure - The Nurse Who Loved Me
[youtube]hVg9GcUDArQ[/youtube]

God I'd so prefer to do the original to promote Failure but Maynard's is fine enough, I guess....

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
that's fine, just the fact that you know and like Failure warms the cockles of my heart, most people think that's an APC song

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)