Smeargle (Analysis)

I think Spider Web/Block/Mean Look wore off after Baton Pass in Gen V, hence why Umbreon lost its niche...
You can't Baton Pass trapping moves any more, unless Bloo was suggesting that Smeargle would trap something that couldn't hurt it, set up on it, then Baton Pass. I can't imagine what Smeargle could set up on with impunity, but then again I'm not as smart as Bloo.

It would also be appropriate to update your analysis with the recent QC Checks. Even though this is in Copyediting, you should mention it as QC 3 / 3.

Here:
QC Approved 1/3 – (Iconic)
- Unfortunately Smeargle isn't much better than last gen, better boosting moves and new sleep mechanics help, but team preview hurts the lead.......

I think Smeargle's DW ability should be mentioned, even if it hasn't been released yet. Moody would give Smeargle the option of running choice scarf, as then you could immediately baton pass a set of buffs to a given pokemon in your party as soon as you sent him out. If +2 speed, -1 Attack, switch in a Gengar, if -1 defense, +2 Attack, switch in a Gyrados, or something. You could tailor your team to its randomness. And even if you got -1 speed from moody, choice scarf would still make you possibly speedy enough still to baton pass something to a wall on your team.

You could run something like

Moody, 252 HP/252 Spe, jolly @CS

Baton Pass
Trick
Spore
Shell Smash / Final Gambit / Healing Wish

And not have to really worry about a speedy lead with taunt screwing up your baton passing. You have 410 speed with scarf, and 682 with +2 speed from moody and scarf.

I think Smeargle's DW ability should be mentioned, even if it hasn't been released yet. Moody would give Smeargle the option of running choice scarf, as then you could immediately baton pass a set of buffs to a given pokemon in your party as soon as you sent him out. If +2 speed, -1 Attack, switch in a Gengar, if -1 defense, +2 Attack, switch in a Gyrados, or something. You could tailor your team to its randomness. And even if you got -1 speed from moody, choice scarf would still make you possibly speedy enough still to baton pass something to a wall on your team.

You could run something like

Moody, 252 HP/252 Spe, jolly @CS

Baton Pass
Trick
Spore
Shell Smash / Final Gambit / Healing Wish

And not have to really worry about a speedy lead with taunt screwing up your baton passing. You have 410 speed with scarf, and 682 with +2 speed from moody and scarf.
Moody was banned from OU...

In the forth gen metagame, endeavor smeargle was a monster in Ubers. http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72321

name: Level 1 Endeavor Lead
move 1: Spore
move 2: Endeavor
move 3: Trick Room/Protect
move 4: Dragon rage/Extreme Speed
item: focus sash
nature: brave
evs: 252 attack, 0 speed (if you want)
level: 1
0 speed IVs, 0 hp IVs
ability: Own Tempo

This was arguably the best smeargle set in ubers in the forth gen. It provides trick room support, it nicely delivers spore, and well placed endeavor/dragon rage combos tend to tear opponents to pieces.

The general idea is to trick room first turn, spore the second, endeavor the third, and dragon rage the fourth turn. There are a number checks to this set that will change the order of the moves used, such as needing to spore first turn instead and placing trick room turn 2 when facing something that has priority. You'll also find yourself skipping trick room altogether against Deoxys leads, since they often start with either stealth rocks or taunt making an endeavor right off the bat a better option.

The reason for dragon rage over extreme speed is because with the trick room speed boost, dragon rage can consistently take out any pokemon holding leftovers that smeargle hits at full health, except Chansey, Blissey, and Wobbuffet. If smeargle hits these pokemon at one health, dragon rage will take them out even with leftovers recovery.

Teammates include oddly tyranitar, which can really help against it's main counter Giratina. Any pokemon that uses trick room support well also tremendously benefits, since if something takes out this set before its done you'll have trick room already up on the field for your next sweep (I used Dialga myself as the supported pokemon). It also greatly appreciates trick room support from its teammates for revenge killing opportunities, in the event it's forced out.

Giratina is the main counter, since smeargle doesn't really have anything to hit it with besides spore. This smeargle cannot handle sleep enducers or pokemon that cause it to flinch first turn until its trick room is set up, like Darkrai, Shaymin, and fakeout users (but then again, neither can any other endeavor pokemon). There are a lot of checks, like taunt, lum berry, and a tyranitar switch-in, but smeargle still has powerful options against its checks provided the player is good at prediction. You'll want to scout the opponent's team before the battle.

Remove
Add
Additional notes
[Overview]
<p>Smeargle is an old dog that has learned some new tricks in all of the new moves the form of every new move (optional change, I just think it sounds smoother this way) added this generation, a few of which are quite effective. Smeargle's signature move, Sketch, gives it access to every released move in the game, allowing for some unique and effective options for movesets. (it's probably not worth a mention but Chatter can't be Sketched) By using Spore, which provides free set-up turns, and along with moves such as Shell Break Smash (official English name) and Baton Pass or Spikes and Toxic Spikes (you should include a mention of Stealth Rock here), Smeargle can make the opponent pay for those turns.</p>

<p>However, Smeargle's terrible base stats mean it has zero offensive presence, little bulk, and only half-decent Speed to work with, which combine to greatly limit Smeargle's ability to set up. This means that Smeargle operates best as a lead (there are no genuine leads in generation 5 because of team preview) so it can utilize an unbroken Focus Sash to ensure a turn of set-up, although Smeargle can also operate outside of the lead slot as long as it manages to get in on a slower opponent that it can allowing it to use Spore or otherwise gain use a free turn to set up.</p>

[SET]
name: Baton Pass
move 1: Baton Pass
move 2: Shell Break Smash
move 3: Spore
move 4: Magic Coat / Substitute
nature: Jolly
item: Focus Sash / White Herb
evs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Access to the crippling Spore, alongside the ability to Baton Pass huge stat boosts and reflect Taunt and other non-attacking moves like Roar or Whirlwind with Magic Coat, makes Smeargle a formidable support Pokémon. Spore will almost always provide a free turn of set-up while also putting an opposing Pokémon temporarily out of commission, and after using Shell Break Smash, Smeargle will be faster than almost every any unboosted (Timid 252 Spe Deoxys-S hits 504 Speed) Pokémon, allowing it to Baton Pass the obscene offensive boosts to a more threatening sweeper, sometimes even taking no damage in the process. Substitute is another good option on the set, as it prevents users of Dragon Tail from phazing Smeargle as well as providing a safe switch-in for the receiver. However, Magic Coat is typically the superior option for reflecting faster (Smeargle is afraid of any Taunt) Taunts and preventing phazers from removing Smeargle's boosts.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Smeargle's nature and EVs are designed to give Smeargle as much Speed and bulk as possible, in order to provide ample set-up opportunities. Likewise, Focus Sash is the preferred item for Smeargle, as it will typically provide at least one free turn of set-up. This means that Smeargle operates best in the lead position, although it is still viable outside of the lead position with Rapid Spin, Magic Bounce, or Dual Screens support, or simply strategic use of Spore against slower Pokémon. (you already said most of the above at the end of the Overview section) White Herb is also viable though, negating the defence Defense and Special Defense drops from Shell Break Smash, and works best with Dual Screen support to ensure that Smeargle can survive a hit. Smeargle can also Baton Pass a number of effects other than Shell Break boosts without using Shell Smash. Other great boosting moves such as Butterfly Quiver Dance and Shift Gear Change (updated English names) can also be considered, as they do not decrease Smeargle's or the receiver's, bulk, and still provide useful boosts. Tail Glow and Belly Drum are also options, although Belly Drum comes alongside the risky sacrifice of half of Smeargle's total health (pointing out that Smeargle can't use Belly Drum if it's HP is below 50% of maximum), and neither option provides the Speed boost that can be vital for ensuring that Smeargle passes its boosts successfully. Smeargle is also the only Pokémon capable of passing the niche move Ingrain, which is useful for preventing phazing in a Baton Pass chain.</p>

<p>The most important teammate for a Baton Pass Smeargle is of course the intended receiver of its boosts. In order to best take advantage of the offensive boosts, receivers should have strong sweeping stats and good offensive typing. The largest threats to recipients are usually status such as paralysis and priority attacks due to the recipient's weakened defenses and high Speed. Landorus, especially when carrying Substitute, is a great example of a good Shell Break Smash receiver due to its immunity to Thunder Wave, solid bulk, powerful offensive stats, and neutrality to most priority attacks. These threats to receivers can also be worked around by having more than one option for Baton Pass receivers, as often opponents will only have one or two ways to check a Shell Break Smash + Baton Pass combination. Combinations of Pokémon with good type synergy and resistance to a number of priority attacks such as Salamence and Heatran can thus be good teammates, as an opponent will be hard pressed to deal with a pass that could go to either Pokémon. Aside from receivers, Smeargle needs little support, as it provides its own set-up opportunities with Spore and Magic Coat, and its Normal typing and terrible stats both require and offer little offensive or defensive synergy. Espeon also gets a special mention as an effective receiver and teammate due to its amazing ability Magic Bounce, which will prevent Whirlwind, Roar, Taunt, or Thunder Wave from preventing a sweep. Espeon also has access to Baton Pass and boosting moves such as Calm Mind or Work Up, so it can easily pass the boosts on to a more powerful sweeper or continue a Baton Pass chain. If Espeon is being used as a receiver it is recommended to use Substitute in Smeargle's last moveslot to prevent Dragon Tail from phazing Espeon. As mentioned before, Rapid Spin or Magic Bounce support can be useful to increase Smeargle's set-up opportunities. Dual Screen support is also very useful for aiding Smeargle's setup and enhancing the bulk of the receiver for a few turns.</p>

[SET]
name: Hazard Lead
move 1: Spore
move 2: Magic Coat
move 3: Spikes
move 4: Stealth Rock / Toxic Spikes
nature: Jolly
item: Focus Sash
evs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With access to all entry hazards, Spore, and Magic Coat, Smeargle can be a very effective lead. Spore allows Smeargle to shut down an opposing Pokémon, and usually (in case of Lum or Chesto Berry) provides at least one free turn for Smeargle to set up. The ability to put an opposing Pokémon to sleep is what sets Smeargle apart from other hazard supporters such as Deoxys-S, making it an invaluable move. Smeargle can also make use of Magic Coat to reflect Taunt, status, and more, often providing free set-up turns with proper prediction. With this combination, not much can prevent Smeargle from putting a Pokémon to sleep and setting up at least one layer of hazards.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Smeargle received a mixed bag (strange expression) with the introduction of Team Preview. The flexibility offered has significantly decreased the importance of dedicated leads, making Smeargle more predictable and easier for opponents to work around. On the other hand, Team Preview allows you to predict common Sleep absorbers such as Gyarados and determine which form of entry hazards will be the most beneficial. There are also a number of very common slow threats such as Ferrothorn and Reuniclus that Smeargle can set up on even outside of the lead slot, making Smeargle viable even outside of the lead position if necessary. Smeargle is typically most useful on offensive teams as a suicide lead, setting up quick hazards and opening a hole in the opponent's team with Spore to support powerful sweepers. And as always, Smeargle's greatest threat tool can be its unpredictability. Moves such as Toxic Spikes, Counter, U-turn, Endeavour, Encore, Perish Song, and others can replace either an entry hazard or Magic Coat on the set to surprise the opponent.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Smeargle can use every move in the game, so its options are many. As the only Pokémon capable of passing Ingrain, which prevents phazing, Smeargle has a unique niche on dedicated Baton Pass chains. Ingrain can also be used on the standard Baton Pass set in the fourth slot, but cannot stop Taunt or paralysis. Encore and Taunt are also viable options to provide set up opportunities and prevent phazing or Taunt, and can be used over Magic Coat in both sets or over either entry hazard for the lead set. Counter is another option for the lead set, allowing Smeargle to surprise and KO a physical attacker, or U-turn can be used to escape Taunt users and break Focus Sashes or Sturdy. Other sets can also be run, such as a niche Lv. 1 Endeavor Lead set with Trick Room, Spore, Endeavor and Dragon Rage or a Choice Scarf + Trick set that can lock the opponent into an attack and allow Smeargle to set up. Smeargle can also use other niche support moves such as Dual Screens or Rapid Spin, but typically it is outclassed in those roles.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Sandstorm, Hail, Fake Out, and multi-hit moves all cause significant trouble for Smeargle running Focus Sash, negating it and often preventing Smeargle from doing anything functioning properly. However, Smeargle is faster than Tyranitar, Abomasnow, Hippowdon, and the most common multi-hit user, Cloyster, so it can typically outspeed them and incapacitate them with Spore. Status absorbers also cause problems for Smeargle. Pokémon with Lum Berry, Sleep Talk, and various other abilities such as Insomnia can negate Smeargle's Spore to hinder its setup. Smeargle is also easily dispatched (odd word choice) by faster attacks once its Focus Sash is broken due to its frailty. The Baton Pass set is mostly susceptible to priority, due to its weakened defenses and high Speed, (throughout the analysis, you say this a few times, but the way you word it makes it seem like having high Speed literally makes it weaker to priority, so you might want to change the wording)requiring good prediction to try and to put the opponent's priority user to sleep as it switches in.

[Dream World]
<p>Now released, Smeargle gets the ultra-annoying Inconsistent Moody, allowing it to stall for boosts in Evasion, Speed, and defenses Defense, and Special Defense. Smeargle is also the only Pokémon with Inconsistent Moody and Baton Pass, allowing it to pass any accumulated boosts to something that can better take advantage of them. However, Inconsistent Moody is banned in standard play.</p>

Dear Paradox,

Smeargle also has to be careful of defensive ResTalkers, status absorbing abilities such as Guts, Quick Feet, Marvel Scaler, moves like Facade (especially Normal-typed users), and strong Sap Sippers (due to Spore's Grass-typing)...mostly Sap Sippers is what I wanted to add (learned when a Deerling KO'ed my Smeargle...in training...T_T
gl

i've come across a HUGE counter in using this setup online. a simple taunt(which i dont believe u wrote about, correct me if im wrong) maybe add that into counters. otherwise, great setup, i love it with a cloyster ;) also, adding endeavor has proven more benefitial for me rather than mirror coat/sub.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Be sure to change 'Inconsistent' to 'Moody' in the Dream World section.

Yes, extremespeed is +2 priority, which is helpful to outspeed other priority users, considering you are level 1 o.o. One idea though, if you increase the level to an acceptable level, It won't seem as obvious it is running FEAR setup.
i think Ice Shard/Bullet Punch shud replace ALL of Smeargle's Priority/finisher moves, as Ghost-types resist Quick Attack, ExtremeSpeed, Mach Punch, and Vacuum Wave, and Water Absorbers take Aqua Jet, Dragon Rage has no priority...and even if tha opponent switches to a Ghost (AFTER uve endeavored tha pkmn b4) , ull still hit it, breaking a Focus Sash and doing damage equal to Sandstorm....then again, Dragon Rage, Seismic Toss, Night Shade (any other level moves im missing???) are nice for wayyyyyy more damage...

also, i prefer a Timid nature to Jolly on tha non-Endeavor lead sets, as Foul Play's damage will hurt less...
gl

You can't Baton Pass trapping moves any more, unless Bloo was suggesting that Smeargle would trap something that couldn't hurt it, set up on it, then Baton Pass. I can't imagine what Smeargle could set up on with impunity, but then again I'm not as smart as Bloo.
gl

yes i remember that...like wen my Watchog's Mean Look did NOT Baton Pass over to...my other guy...then Thundurus fled...happy day...

I like to use this set on Smeargle

~Destiny Bond
~Counter
~Mirror Coat
~Extremespeed

its a wobbuffet xD
unfortunately, tha lack of Shadow Tag that Wobbuffet has means that Smeargle's useless once he is down to 1 HP, because tha opponent can switch and still have one more pkmn than if Wobbuffet was used...PLUS his HP is too low...sry 4 disappointment xP

i think Ice Shard/Bullet Punch shud replace ALL of Smeargle's Priority/finisher moves, as Ghost-types resist Quick Attack, ExtremeSpeed, Mach Punch, and Vacuum Wave, and Water Absorbers take Aqua Jet, Dragon Rage has no priority...and even if tha opponent switches to a Ghost (AFTER uve endeavored tha pkmn b4) , ull still hit it, breaking a Focus Sash and doing damage equal to Sandstorm....then again, Dragon Rage, Seismic Toss, Night Shade (any other level moves im missing???) are nice for wayyyyyy more damage...

also, i prefer a Timid nature to Jolly on tha non-Endeavor lead sets, as Foul Play's damage will hurt less...
gl
gl

yes i remember that...like wen my Watchog's Mean Look did NOT Baton Pass over to...my other guy...then Thundurus fled...happy day...
unfortunately, tha lack of Shadow Tag that Wobbuffet has means that Smeargle's useless once he is down to 1 HP, because tha opponent can switch and still have one more pkmn than if Wobbuffet was used...PLUS his HP is too low...sry 4 disappointment xP
This is ridiculous, it's against the rules to triple post. You have the multi-quote function if you want to reply to multiple users in one post.

Be careful with that in the future because a moderator may give you a warning.

This is ridiculous, it's against the rules to triple post. You have the multi-quote function if you want to reply to multiple users in one post.

Be careful with that in the future because a moderator may give you a warning.
sry sry too much hype in me bout things >_< ...may as well put it into one post nxt time..my fault

You do realize that you can't Last Resort without using Baton Pass first, making it impossible to use, right?

Also Salac Berry is unreleased.

An extremely minor nitpick: The english name for Shell Break is Shell Smash, so that should be changed. Also, even though Ingrain got a mention, I think it deserves a slash next to Magic Coat and Substitute on the baton pass set, as it makes it impossible for pokemon to whirlwind you away. Also, is there a specific reason why Smeargle has 252 Def evs instead of HP?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)