SM OU SM OU Wall + Sweep Team

Thank you for reading this thread. I have been wanting to start laddering in the OU tier and needed to build a good team. I will take any advice on this team.

Dugtrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
- Sucker Punch
- Stone Edge

So I pretty much need a Dugtrio on all of my teams. A big part of my play style is weakening the opponent, then revenge killing with Dugtrio. Choice Scarf ensures that stealth rocks won't break this set and also allows it to kill Tapu Koko. I have also used this Dugtrio for other uses, such as trapping a Charizard Y, then using Stone Edge. I'm willing to make some changes to this set, but I personally like having the scarf and Earthquake + Stone Edge.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Ice Beam

So this Mew is mainly used for utility and can sometimes check Landorus (depending on the set) rather than being a stall set with Roost/Soft-Boiled. Will-O-Wisp is useful against mons that threaten this such as Mega Scizor, and can still burn opponents if Toxapex is gone, and vice versa. This is my only mon on the team that can get rid of hazards however, but I haven't seen that become an issue yet. In regards to its EV spread, it has 160 SpA because that gives it an above average chance to OHKO an offensive Landorus (it can outspeed it), around a 50% chance to OHKO an HP invested Landorus, and a 2HKO to an HP and SpDef invested Landorus.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic

Toxapex is a good mon in walling threats to my team. It can easily wall a Battle Bond Greninja that isn't running Extrasensory (as long as Dark Pulse doesn't keep flinching it), and can burn/toxic common threats. I don't have Toxic Spikes on this set, but I might add it, because I've only found myself using Haze once. It has split defense investment favoring physical defense, so it can usually survive an attack from Landorus then get out. So far, this mon has been very useful on my team.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

So this is basically the last stall/wall that is on my team. I was not intending on making a stall team, but I think this Chansey works well on this team. Heal Bell has been very useful because I have been able to switch into this on special attackers then cure my team of status while they switch. This set and EV spread is fairly standard, I just don't run Stealth Rocks because it wastes a move and I have Mew to do that. While this mon may have not gotten many KOs for me, it has helped weaken mons, than either finish them with Dugtrio or sweep with another mon.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot

So this Tapu Koko doesn't have HP Ice because Mew has Ice Beam and I wanted Volt Switch on this set and needed a grass move somewhere on this team to check Swampert and stall Quagsire. It has a Life Orb, a standard EV spread, and can usually get a KO or two. I haven't had any situations where the lack of HP Ice has caused me to lose, but if HP Ice should be on this set, please let me know.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Thunder Punch

The last mon on this team is Charizard X. This Pokemon is just a setup and sweep Pokemon. Thunder Punch has been really useful because it can pick off a Water switch in and keep sweeping. This mon has been very useful when it comes to wearing down the opponent's team with my stall/wall mons, then setting up and sweeping, or just getting a good switch in then sweeping towards the beginning of the game. It can sometimes be stopped by other Pokemon, but not before taking 2 or 3 other mons out with it.

Thank you for reading this thread, and below is a pastebin with this team. All feedback is appreciated.
https://pastebin.com/Up1B23Ss

Last edited:
Hey, I haven't had a chance to test this team out on ladder but there's a few improvements I think can be made looking at it from face value.

First off, stealth rock/defog mew isn't very optimal, especially when you have a reliable stealth rock setter in chansey. I would run stealth rock > heal bell on Chansey, since status does not threaten your team a whole lot. On mew, you should run soft-boiled > stealth rock. this will allow your mew much more longevity and allow it to check big threats like medicham much more easily. I also think the EV spread needs some work, 184 spe is all you need for adamant landorus and even with no spa you still have an ok chance to ohko (guaranteed after rocks). Other lando and phys attackers you cant ko with ice beam can instead be crippled and stalled with will-o-wisp + soft boiled. to this end, I think you should move your spa into hp and def. that was a mouthful so here's the set just for convenience:
Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog

next, I think sucker punch is unnecessary on scarf duggy because you outstpeed a large amount of the meta already, and there isn't really any priority users that duggy can beat thanks to sucker. I think pursuit > suckerpunch is a better choice. pursuit lets you trap and kill the ghost types which are otherwise unaffected by arena trap.

with chansey as a toxic user I think toxic spikes are the superior choice for toxapex, although, toxic spikes toxapex enables you to run thunder wave chansey to help cripple threats and enable zardx to sweep more easily

another tech you could consider is eject button toxapex. the way it works is:
  • bait a threat or stop to your sweeper to attack
  • switch into toxapex who should be able to take any attack comfortably
  • this will activate the eject button, giving you a free switch
  • trap and eliminate the threat with your free switch into dugtrio
this is great for easily removing things like heatran who are common checks to zardx especially since you are running tpunch over eq. just something for you to consider :]

I think with these changes, your team will benefit a lot!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)