ORAS OU Sludge Thorn Monster

So, this is my newest ORAS team I have made. I created this masterpiece the other day, and have been messing around with it, and it has seem some pretty good success. I felt as if the team might be missing something, so that is why I am posting it here. And without further ado, here is the team.

Sludge Frog (Toxicroak) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch

So first we have the new Greninja star of this team. I was looking through viability rankings and I saw this beautiful frog, so I decided to make this team around it. I run LO>Black Sludge for power. And the ev spread is for maximizing the speed and attacking ability. Dry Skin is a very useful ability, so I chose it over others. And for the moves, I run the usual dual STAB and Sucker Punch. And for the last move there are like 3 options to my knowledge, I could be wrong. I ran Ice Punch to catch some Lando switch ins and flying switch ins.

So Thorny (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave

The next Pokemon I added was Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn and Toxicroak have amazing synergy. Ferrothorn also provides pretty good support in Stealth Rock and Twave. Twave is able to catch some switch ins and cripple possible checks to Toxicroak, making him able to outspeed and kill. Leech Seed and Gyro Ball are just there, kind of standard. For an item, I am running Lefties as I find it the most useful for this team, Rocky Helmet is just kind of redundant and Shed Shell is not necessary. Ferro can also soak in most ground type, flying type, and psychic type moves that destroy Toxicroak.

ThatSeaMonsterFace (Gyarados) (M) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute

I went through my options for a mega on this team. And I figured that the mega should be a Poke that loves the removal of bulky water types, as Dry Skin gives Toxicroak an immunity to the water types. I was really going between Gyarados and Charizard X. I figured that Gyarados would be best for the team. So, this Gyarados set runs the standard dual STAB DD Sub. I could run Taunt>Sub but I haven't found that to be too useful in previous teams. After Toxicroak has been able to remove checks/counters to Gyara such as Keldeo, Azumarill, Ferro, Clefable, and MAlt, Gyara can easily clean.

Playboy's Coverboy (Diggersby) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Return
- Knock Off
- U-turn

So, before I added this Pokemon, I didn't have a true answer to electric types. While not being able to switch in, it can come in and revenge kill a lot of faster threats. As for the move set, I run the standard move set and Knock Off>Wild Charge/any other coverage move so that I can reliably hit Gengar. Diggersby is basically my high speed tier mon that makes answers to certain threats much easier to come up with.

Inb4 Fried Pokemon (Rotom-Heat) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

So I guess this is considered by innovation for this team, lol. So, my team was extremely weak to Scizor and gets walled kind of by Skarm. The team was also weak to birdspam and Garchomp. Rotom-H handles most of those (bar SE/RS Chomp) This thing works well as a physical wall, and from my previous RMT you know that I hate Pain Split Rotom. So I am using Chestoresto. Rotom also has good type synergy with previous members being able to soak up fire spam. This also stops ground spam if Gyara is already mega. Rotom is also able to cripple strong physical attackers with WoW then Volt Switch bringing in an offensive Poke to get a kill.

Nuke Drop (Latias) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

If you haven't noticed, the team hates SR. Latias is usually my go-to hazard remover, and in this case it seemed to fit the team best. It is able to get rid of Mega Venu which currently walls the team, and provide Healing Wish support incase I played a wincon or something poorly. The set is simply the standard set. Latias can also manage to get rid of Mega Hera which the team is pretty weak to. Not much to say other than that.

In conclusion, this is the wonderful team that I have put together. Last night, I had a list of threats but have lost them. And after sitting here for 2 hours trying to think of them did absolutely nothing, I have decided to just forget about it. The team so far seems to be solid, but I am definitely open to suggestions.

Sludge Frog (Toxicroak) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch

So Thorny (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave

Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute

Playboy's Coverboy (Diggersby) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Return
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Inb4 Fried Pokemon (Rotom-Heat) @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Nuke Drop (Latias) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

PS: Idk how to fix the hide tab thingy, so deal with it. It is really fucked up lol.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good.
The main thing I want to say is:
Replace Crunch with Earthquake on Gyarados. Without EQ, you can't hit Toxicroak, Azumarill, Charizard X, Keldeo, Crawdaunt, Mega Aggron, or Rotom-W reliably at all. I understand Crunch is STAB, but it's definitely inferior in this case.

Sebberball

formerly BoXeD
Looks pretty good.
The main thing I want to say is:
Replace Crunch with Earthquake on Gyarados. Without EQ, you can't hit Toxicroak, Azumarill, Charizard X, Keldeo, Crawdaunt, Mega Aggron, or Rotom-W reliably at all. I understand Crunch is STAB, but it's definitely inferior in this case.
About this crunch is more reliable than eq on mgyara, he can hit all of those Pokemon with latias with the right moveset

Now all and all, the team basically perfect DG.

And just to mention, you can replace sucker punch with swords dance if you want

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I might keep Crunch just cause I have support to take out those threats you mentioned. And I will try out SD to test it out.

Physical Tyranitar

formerly Marquis of Blaze
This team isn't bad at all. It's actually very good. One thing I might change is Diggersby. Scarfed Diggersby won't outspeed EVERYTHING. In fact, it won't outspeed most stuff. Now, I know it gives it the potential to sweep, but you have to fear for Choiced Azumarill. For Bullet Punch Scizor; why not use Rotom-Wash? It will take a Bullet Punch with ease and carries Trick and Hidden Power Fire to counter. Why not give it a try?

Your team has a major weakness to Mega Medicham, Charizard X, and Assault Vest Azumarill. Those are the only ones that I can think of off the top of my head, but I don't know if you had those already down. lol.

Alright, so... my answer to choiced Azu is Ferrothorn/Toxicroak. I run Rotom-H over Wash cause it still counters Scizor and doesn't have to run HP Fire I guess. Mega Charizard X is definitely a problem, and I haven't faced too many Medichams. Assault Vest Azumarill is taken care of by Ferrothorn/Toxicroak. I really don't know how to fix that Char X and Medicham problem though.

It is more likely that you are going to face Char X than a Medicham, So I don't think you have to worry about it much. I wouldn't rely on Toxicroak to counter Azumarill with Dry Skin, though, for Azumarill can have another move that can easily 1HKO Toxicroak because he doesn't have enough bulk. As for a Char X counter:
Scarfed Diggersby won't outspeed EVERYTHING. In fact, it won't outspeed most stuff.
Try using another pokemon in that spot that can can outspeed most things and have a resistance to electric. Like...I dunno...Dugtrio. xD I'm not sure, I'll have to look into that more. I'll get back to you.

It is more likely that you are going to face Char X than a Medicham, So I don't think you have to worry about it much. I wouldn't rely on Toxicroak to counter Azumarill with Dry Skin, though, for Azumarill can have another move that can easily 1HKO Toxicroak because he doesn't have enough bulk. As for a Char X counter: Try using another pokemon in that spot that can can outspeed most things and have a resistance to electric. Like...I dunno...Dugtrio. xD I'm not sure, I'll have to look into that more. I'll get back to you.
As far as replacing Diggersby, Scarf Garchomp would work pretty well. It can switch into electric moves (watch HP Ice predictions) and can still hit hard and fast. Additionally, it can outspeed Charizard X even if it is max investment and at +1 speed and OHKO any common variant with Outrage while OHKOing offensive MZard X with Earthquake and doing at least 90% to bulky DD variants with Earthquake. Here are the calcs:

252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 356-422 (119.8 - 142%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 300-354 (101 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 144 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 360-426 (108.1 - 127.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 144 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 300-354 (90 - 106.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Here is the set:
Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Fire Blast

I guess you lose the switch initiative Diggersby had which kind of stinks, but ScarfChomp outspeeds a bunch more threats and takes care of your MZard X problem.

I was going to suggest that, but Earthquake will be a problem if he's trying Toxicroak. I'm not sure, really. xD

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cool team dude, but i just see ur very weak to Char X +1, so I suggest 2 things, first u can put EQ > Sub on Gyarados and Make it Jolly cuz is the best coverage, DD 3 atks, or a lil bit weird Scarf Latias which provides u a better revenge killer outspeeding everything. Also put Power Whip > T-wave on Ferro beccause u are very weak to oppsing Mega Gyarados
Nuke Drop (Latias) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

EVs: 64 HP / 248 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature

- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch / Ice Fang
- Earthquake

Ice fang just if u feel struggling with Mega venusaur

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)