Skirts 'n Blades - Gallade Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't find a thread (at least not a recent one) about him, while he certainly deserves one. I give to you: GALLADE.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/475.shtml

Typing: Psychic/Fighting
HP: 68
ATK: 125
DEF: 65
SP. ATK: 65
SP. DEF: 115
Speed: 80

TRAIT: STEADFAST
Increases Gallade's speed when flinched.
Nothing special here, move along

WEAKNESS: Flying, Ghost
RESISTANCE: Rock, Fight

NOTABLE PHYSICAL MOVEPOOL (STAB in BOLD)(*=Emerald Kirlia Move Tutor)
Leaf Blade
Night Slash
Slash
Psycho Cut
Close Combat
Focus Punch

Return/Frustration
Earthquake
Brick Break
Aerial Ace
Drain Punch
Giga Impact
Stone Edge
Rock Slide
X-Scizzor
Poison Jab
Shadow Sneak
Thunder Punch*
Fire Punch*
Ice Punch*

Sweet I'd say. Let's also look at the support movepool.

SUPPORT MOVEPOOL (*=through Kirlia):

Swords Dance
Protect
Toxic
Safeguard
Reflect
Torment
Rest
Psych Up
Thunder Wave
Grudge
Confuse Ray
Will O Wisp
Destiny Bond
Endure
Hypnosis*
Taunt*
Trick Room*

Looking at that INSANE long list, we immediately know that it has to do with being alligned to Gardevoir - who also has an insane movepool.

The main use of Gallade though is being a Physical sweeper with high special defence - kind of rare really. And while its physical defence is nothing interesting, it has the moves such as Will O Wisp or Hypnosis to take care of any physical threats. However, due to its not so great speed, it is likely that Gallade has to hit them on the switch with the crippler.

His weaknesses and resistances don't make him stand out much. Resistant to Rock is always a nice bonus, specially with Stealth Rock, and its weakness to Flying...well...doesn't hurt THAT much. And with most Ghost moves becoming Special, Ghost doesn't hit Gallade that hard really.

Gallade has a comparable nemesis, Medicham. The main pro Medicham has over Gallade is the INSANE attack. While Gallade's ATK is nothing to scoff at, Medicham's is just better. On the other hand, Medicham can't take a hit and doesn't have half of Gallade's options.

Here are some movesets I thought of, but I'll leave the better ones to the pros, including the EV's.

Gallade@Life Orb
Swords Dance
Drain Punch
Psycho Cut
Ice Punch/Night Slash

Basically, Swords Dance once should do it, then start hitting. Drain Punch helps giving Gallade more staying power, which he needs with Life Orb sapping its HP. Ice Punch is if you really hate Dragons, Night Slash if you hate Psychics.

Gallade @ Leftovers
Thunder Wave/Hypnosis
Swords Dance
In Fight
Night Slash/Shadow Sneak

This Gallade is meant to be used in a team with LOTS of paralysis support. Can Swords Dance up later to In Fight everything into oblivion. If only it got better Ghost attacks, like Shadow Claw...

Gallade @ Leftovers
Earthquake
In Fight
Psycho Cutter
Stone Edge

Hit hard with it, and with proper prediction NOTHING will want to switch into this. Psycho Cutter can go for Swords Dance if you feel like it.

Gallade @ ???
Substitute
Focus Punch
Earthquake
Stone Edge

Subpuncher, not sure what item to use. Might not be so good due to moderate speed.

Gallade @ Salac Berry
Endure
Destiny Bond
Swords Dance
In Fight

My god this is fun to use. Worked with Gardevoir too, but now, with that Choice Scarf and more Quick Attack varieties, might not be half as viable. Also be sure to have a weather changer along with your team, lest Abomasnow, Hippowdon and Tyranitar make mincemeat out of this set. Altho T-Tar can easily be killed BEFORE Enduring.

I'm sure most of you have better sets and good EV Spreads too. So whaddya think Gallade's place in the DP game will be? I recon its way too versatile to be UU, but can it compete in OU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)