move 4: Hidden Power Ground
item: Life Orb
ability: Gluttony
nature: Timid/Modest
evs: 252 SAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Nasty Plot and high speed makes it a dangerous sweeper
  • Fire Blast is a very powerful STAB move
  • Grass Knot to hit water- and rock- types.
  • Hidden Power Ground to hit other Fire types harder (Hp Ground is prefered 'cos emboar)
  • Screens and Wynaut support helps a lot in setting up due to its fraility.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Life Orb give him much needed power.
  • Loves spikes support to get more KO's
  • Needs spinner, as it's frail so SR+LO recoil will make set-up difficult.
  • Hidden Power Rock can be used to hit Pelipper and Mantine, who wall this set otherwise. It's useful for balloon users too.
  • Taunt can be used to set up easily on walls
  • Expert Belt can be used if you don't like recoil.
  • Hidden Power Grass can be used for reliability, use Focus Blast over Hp ground then.

[SET]
name: Choice
move 1: Overheat
move 2: Grass Knot
move 3: Hidden Power Ground
move 4: Fire Blast
item: Choice Specs
ability: Gluttony
nature: Timid/Modest
evs: 252 SAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • With Choice Specs, he can hit hard right of the bat without needing a turn to boost
  • However, Choice Scarf makes him a good revenge killer for set up sweepers, as well as letting him outspeed faster threats.
  • Fire Blast is better to finish off opponents and sweep late game

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Timid is preferred as the ability to outspeed jynx and haunter distinguishes itself from magmortar. However, modest is better on scarf set.
  • Loves spikes support to get more KO's, simisear forces a lot of switches.
  • Needs spinner, as it will be switching a lot.
  • Hidden Power Rock can be used to hit Pelipper and Mantine, who wall this set otherwise. It's useful for balloon users too. Focus Blast is useful to hit the likes of miltank.
  • Choice Scarf can be used too

[Other Options]
  • A Physical set using moves like Fire Punch,Brick Break, Flame Charge or Crunch can be used.
  • Hone Claws boost his Atk stat and it can be used in a physical boosting set
  • It has goods support moves, like Yawn, Torment or Will-O-Wisp, but his defenses are so bad to pull it off.
  • It's one of the few Gen V pokemon getting Sleep Talk
[Checks and Counters]
  • Slowking and Mantine sport great special defense, so they can switch rather easily and KO back. Lanturn is good too, because it doesn't take much of grass knot.
  • Bulky fire-types like specially defensive Flareon or Camerupt can switch on almost anything, stopping Simisear cold.
  • Faster pokemon, especially when they have a SE attack, can usually take out Simisear.
  • Strong priority such as Absol's Sucker Punch or an Aqua Jet from Carracosta usually KO it due to his poor defenses

[Dream World]
Simisear gets Blaze of the dream world, which is a really good ability and should be the used instead of gluttony, because it can throw even more powerful Fire Blast when using this ability. However Gluttony can find some use with pinch berries.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
There's absolutely no reason to use the Modest nature on Simisear, seeing as stupid things like Haunter and Jynx would outspeed it as a result, and both sets utilize boosting moves/items anyways. There's also better Choice Specs-using Fire-types is Simisear chooses Modest.

Mention dual screen support and buffers against the likes of Walrein.

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
The choice of nature has already been discussed in the simipour skeleton and Modest was chosen, i dont see how it should be any different in the simisear one.
They decided that Jynx and Haunter were not very common and that the benefits of modest were greater then losing to Jynx and Haunter

breh

強いだね
last set should definitely not have modest (worse magmortar) but timid is fine. not sure it should be using Scarf but that's just me.

dunno about NP.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The choice of nature has already been discussed in the simipour skeleton and Modest was chosen, i dont see how it should be any different in the simisear one.
They decided that Jynx and Haunter were not very common and that the benefits of modest were greater then losing to Jynx and Haunter
Because they are two totally different Pokemon? Simipour loses to Jynx due to Dry Skin (unless it runs a weird Hidden Power), Simisear should definitely aim to outspeed Jynx, its a Pokemon it should be able to beat since Simisear loathes taking hits from anything and nothing wants to get hit with Lovely Kiss. Haunter is a non-issue for either Simipour or Simisear since Hydro Pump/Fire Blast will do very serious damage to it regardless.

I agree that Modest makes it a worse Magmortar, just stick with Timid and use its advantages... well... to its advantage.

I don't know if I like the Choice set too much. It's relatively weak without the Nasty Plot boost (Choice Specs is just meh), and a Stealth Rock weakness prevents it from switching in and out too many times. I'd say remove the Choice set.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Expert Belt should be an option on the Nasty Plot set (at least in the comments). Life Orb + SR weakness is really bad in battles, and EBelt helps bluff really well.

The Choice set is ok but I think you should do the following:
move 1: Overheat
move 2: Grass Knot
move 3: Hidden Power Ground/HP Rock
move 4: Fire Blast/Flamethrower
item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf

Focus Blast is pretty much useless in NU, especially when the things hit super effective by it are hit harder by STAB Fire moves. The odd Dark-types like Absol are so weak that they will be OHKOd regardless. Focus Blast just lets Slowking/Haunter/Gardevoir/Altaria/Roselia come in for free once they figure out you're choiced, at least Fire Blast has a burn chance and passable accuracy. You don't even need it for Munchlax because he's RU. Overheat is for hit and run, the second fire move is for when you want to stay in and sweep.

Lastly, I think you should mention pinch berries somewhere in OO since Gluttony is it's only ability at the time. Petaya/Salac/Sitrus/Starf or whatever is legal to use could give it a nice boost or heal off some SR damage

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Ok so I will change the choice set like jrrrr says and mention expert belt. Should i finally remove choice set?

I will mention pinch berries in OO, if they were released but they are not sadly.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The choice set is pretty good just for its speed alone IMO, I would leave it there. I tried specs and it really hurts, although the scarf one may be outclassed by Magmortar.

About the berries, I was just trying to fill the analysis out lol. If there aren't any good legal ones then don't bother.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
On the NP set, deslash HP Grass and Focus Blast and put them both in AC. Mention that if you want to use HP Grass for consistency, you need Focus Blast over HP Ground. Expert Belt can get a mention in AC but Simisear needs the power. Also if you're mentioning crap like Flareon and Eviolite Magmar in AC (magmar really?), mention Camerupt at least.

Other than that, looks good.

I can't think of a reason why I would ever want to use Flamethrower on the choice set...

I would also deslash taunt, it's not like you're going to be surviving a hit from like, anything lol

do that and I will stamp

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Pretty sure Magmortar does a better job at Choice Scarf, mostly because it has the Special attack to make up for the loss in power, and decent enough Speed so that it revenge kills the majority of +1 NU Pokemon. Specs is pretty much the only practical Choice item on Simisear because of Simisear's own Speed.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Yeah, move Choice Scarf to the AC of the Choice set; you might want to mention Focus Blast there as well, since it hits Miltank etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)