Pokémon Silvally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a set that I have been using for Type: Null, it can get annoying for the opponent and force a switch :
Eviolite
Impish nature
252 HP / 126 Atk / 4 Def / 126 SpD
Toxik
Heal Block
U-Turn
Iron Head

With his bulk, you can easily give a nice Toxik and Heal block is a nice late game annoyance for Leftover users. Also U-turn for the emergency exit.
I think Type: Null would be pretty interesting in Doubles, but I fear his role would be limited.

And I have a lot of good results with Normalium-Z Silvally, I'll try that LO set later !

It's really unfortunate that Silvally ended up being a shitmon. Not only does it have arguably the coolest design of any Sun/Moon Pokemon, the concept of a mini Arceus was an interesting one. It's a shame that Game Freak doesn't know how to make a Pokémon based around a cool concept that isn't a complete gimmick.

It's really unfortunate that Silvally ended up being a shitmon. Not only does it have arguably the coolest design of any Sun/Moon Pokemon, the concept of a mini Arceus was an interesting one. It's a shame that Game Freak doesn't know how to make a Pokémon based around a cool concept that isn't a complete gimmick.
Silvally isn't that bad guys damn. Game Freak cares about VGC, not Singles. Do you think every single Pokémon is gonna be OU viable? Silvally will flourish in UU

Silvally isn't that bad guys damn. Game Freak cares about VGC, not Singles. Do you think every single Pokémon is gonna be OU viable? Silvally will flourish in UU
And there it is, its impressive traits for VGC: Imprison, Z-Parting Shot, STAB Explosion. The end. Everything else is just like in singles.

Really, the lack of boosts from the Memories make it far worse than it should have been. I was not expecting an OU monster, but at least something that was an Arceus with worse stats. But it also happens to have a much worse ability.

The lack of both recovery AND priority is what keeps Silvally from excelling. Arceus has both and that's why all of its sets work; you don't have to worry about offensive or defensive sets not having what they need.

If Silvally lacked one or the other, it'd be a different story, but both? For a Pokémon that can be any type in the game, it feels painfully generic when, as was said, its entire moveset is "Swords Dance and some attacks" outside of Imprison, Parting Shot, and Explosion.

At this point we can only hope for good move tutor moves/good event moves. Maybe they'll give it Espeed...or fix the memories in gen 8. Who knows. Or fix it's movepool in whatever game comes after s/m, I still remember a ton of mons receiving new moves in OR/AS...

Last edited:
Poor man's Electivire @ Choice Specs
Ability : RKS System
EVs: 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Hp
Timid Nature
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower
Ice Beam
Surf

Choice Specs really being the only way to make use of its move pool effectively, even though it will have no stab moves, Silvally is able to pick up a guaranteed 2hko on full HP invested Toxapex after Black Sludge recovery and a OHKO on a 156 HP invested Buzzwole with this set. Any more HP on the buzzwole however and you're looking at a high chance to get floored by a superpower. Any Tapu pretty much walls this set, bar Bulu as he'll only survive the first hit (but you're likely to get one shot in return), as will full HP/SpD invested Mudsdale and Full HP invested Beware. You could run a Scarf for the sole purpose of having a poke to revenge kill pheramosa on hand, but you'll loose the ability to wallbreak toxapex and buzzwole, both of which I feel are probably going to have a sizable presence in OU.

Hey, Long time lurker looking for some more experienced people to weigh in. Was using an Adamant Silvally with 4 Def EVs, but did some calcs, and found something interesting

Adamant Silvally-Poison with 252HP/252Atk/4Spe - those 4 Spe EVs allow Silvally to outspeed 0 Spe Tapu Lele, guaranteed OHKO after rocks, 75% chance to kill without. Outspeed and OHKO Tapu Bulu, Slower than but survives Tapu Koko and OHKO in return, faster and Guaranteed 2HKO on Tapu Fini. Walls out Pharimosa and OHKO. Thats a lot of common threats neutered by Silvally.

Buzzwole and Xurkitree are both an issue, but Xurk cant switch into a hit, Buzz takes a free Parting Shot, and both are walled/murdered easily by Marowak-A.

Ive been having great success with Silvally on cartridge. No idea what Pokebank does to this, since I do expect the common threats to change and more walls to appear (especially for the poison variant Im loving), but Id love to hear your guys take on this (since im not all that experienced at this sort of thing)

Adamant Silvally-Poison with 252HP/252Atk/4Spe - those 4 Spe EVs allow Silvally to outspeed 0 Spe Tapu Lele, guaranteed OHKO after rocks, 75% chance to kill without. Outspeed and OHKO Tapu Bulu, Slower than but survives Tapu Koko and OHKO in return, faster and Guaranteed 2HKO on Tapu Fini. Walls out Pharimosa and OHKO. Thats a lot of common threats neutered by Silvally.
There are a lot of flaws within those statements. Firstly, 4 Spe EVs do not outspeed any form of tapu lele whatsoever. Tapu Lele will always run timid max Spe since that is its best set. As a result of that it will outspeed and OHKO your silvally with psychic unless it switches in on it and lets be honest, nobody switches in a tapu on a poison type. Next we have the tapu bulu statement, which seems to be true for the most part. Thirdly, tapu koko does not fear silvally at all, it can just volt switch/u-turn on it and pick up the KO the next time, because silvally lacks the much needed recovery. Next, 4 Spe EVs does in general outspeed tapu fini as most fini sets hit the 220 Spe benchmark (which outspeeds jolly Azumarill), but keep in mind that max speed taunt cm is a popular set although it probably cant touch silvally. lastly, yes silvally does take Phero on, but phero just u-turns out of there, which leaves you vulnerable to get trapped by dugtrio (which is a very popular pairing, as dugtrio deals with toxapex). From that I would conclude that poison silvally is not the most reliable fairy check in pokebank OU.

As for my own experience with silvally, i can conclude that most normal type sets outperform the memory sets, albeit that the normal sets are often outclassed by other mons themselves. So I went looking for something that only Silvally can uniquely do:

Silvally @ ground memory
careful nature
EVs: 248 HP, 200 SpDef, 60 Spe
multi-attack
ice beam
parting shot
thunder wave

The purpose for this set is to fill in a support role by spreading the t-wave as much as possible (silvally and zygarde are the only ground types that can spread paralysis apart from groudon) and gaining momentum. Ground/ice grants you awesome coverage, you naturally force out the electric types and ground types sustain significant damage from the ice beam (especially lando-t, garchomp and zygarde). Parting shot is there because its the best move silvally gets and allows it to run from bad matchups(cool trick: parting shot against Msableye will force it out).
Running SpDef allows you to counter all variants of tapu koko (and fast electrics in general) except for the grass knot (100bp) ones. It also allows you to live a hit from tapu lele so you can t-wave it in return. Careful nature is chosen as the alternative is gentle nature(+SpDef, -Def) and in practice you will be taking physical hits, albeit that Spa neutral nature allows you to OHKO offensive lando-t after rocks, but all other cases remain 2hko's regardles of nature. 60 Spe allows you to outrun neutral base 70s (bisharp, breloom) and positive base 60s (incineroar, primarina, magnezone(?)). I think outspeeding bisharp is very important as it can abuse your parting shot, but if facing a +3 bisharp is not a problem to your team, then feel free to go full SpDef. Running no Speed still allows you to outrun stuff that hits the 220 benchmark like rotom-w(which completely shuts you down), tapu fini and defensive lando-t.
I am not claiming that this set is the be all end all set for Silvally, but it is at least a niche that only Silvally can do, thus making it automatically the best at it. Maybe that isn't even true as sub/coil/glare/thousand arrows zygarde might be able to do the same thing (spreading paralysis and beating ground/electric types), but with acces to leftovers. At the very least, Silvally is a pivot and not 4x weak to ice, which Zygarde isnt.

Last edited:
Since I still have to get around to obtaining Type: Null in-game, is there any sort of consensus on physical vs special vs mixed spreads?

By the way (note that this is untested and I don't even know how to play competitively):

Physical spread
@Fighting Memory
- Multi-Attack (Fighting)
- Crunch / Shadow Claw
- Iron Head / ???
- Swords Dance / Parting Shot / ???

Gets perfect (albeit not extremely strong) neutral coverage. Worth it?

I'm just going to weigh in my two cents and say that, other than U-turn, there is one thing that Eviolite Type: Null gets over Porygon2, and that is Roar.

Get out. (Type: Null) @ Eviolite
Ability: Battle Armor
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Frustration / Toxic
- Roar
- Rest
- Toxic / Substitute / U-turn / Protect

I devised this set for a Showderp meme and watched the fireworks, and was amazed and horrified at the monster I'd created. The Showderp champ went the Toxic/Frustration route, and even without Protect or Substitute this thing was nigh-unkillable. It had more than enough bulk to win most 1v1s by just punching things with Frustration and Toxic, had Rest when it needed to heal, and anything that thought they could set up boosts on it was shown the door with Roar (after a Toxic if Type: Null wasn't Resting).

So long as we're comparing it to Porygon2, its weaknesses are mostly the same: Taunt and Knock Off need to be avoided like the plague, and anything that does more than 50% of its HP can take it down, though that 50% threshold can be a chore to hit without a Fighting-type move or a Choice Band/Specs. Type: Null itself is also walled by Gengar with this set, but it has Roar to kick out nuisances like that and also has U-turn to escape if things go south.

I had my doubts that this set would do anything but die slowly and agonizingly, but I was very wrong; this abomination handily dismantled teams that lacked an answer to it. Two examples: it 6-0'd a team of Eeveelutions, and would've 5-0'd a more conventional team of stallers and boosters (they weren't allowed to set up because of Roar and got Toxic'd for their trouble) if the champ hadn't got greedy with Frustration.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)