Shoddy Battle 1 Client Update

bearzly

Shoddy Battle dev
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I can't find the Java Control Panel on my Mac OSX. What should I do?
I've got the same thing as gorm, I posted it in the simple questions/answers thread thingy.

I'll have a check on Google now lol

@ gorm, I found it. Applications -> Utilities -> Java -> Java Plugin or something

EDIT: Fuck, it still didn't work. It loaded for like 1 minute but still had an error.
I would recommend opening the program called Java Web Start and deleting the entry for Shoddy Battle.

It's a bit unfortunate that OS X's widgets mess up the display of some things, but I'm sure we'll be able to iron the issues quickly.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Oh wow... The new backgrounds are amazing, it really gives the battles some life. Everything else is great too, but it's going to take some time for me to get used to the more rectangular battle windows. Still, great job!

Wow, this is awesome, especially the random backgrounds.
The new battle window is definitely gonna take some getting used to though.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Firstly, I want to say thanks. Really liking the changes

Unfortunately, I'm having problems with the mod panel. I can't seem to open it with Control+M (I'm on a MAC so that might make some difference). Also when I try and manually open the mod panel, it completely freezes Shoddy. Any suggestions?

EDIT: NVM, Golbat said MACs aren't configged yet. My kick command still works though

GJ, Doug. This upgrade was long overdue...

Speaking of which, I'm working on a client mod m'self as quite a few already know, but I was actually focusing on adding functional stuff rather than changing the look; for example, while you have 20 cosmetic battle fields and choose 1 randomly each battle, I implemented 9 functional (and selectable, when one issues a challenge) battle fields that influence Nature/Secret Power and Camouflage like in the games. I've also fixed the major mechanics glitches (like Encore/Solarbeam, Imprison, and Mirror Move/Copycat) and I am currently implementing doubles. Shoddy Battle 2 may be on the way, but we'll have Shoddy Battle 1 until they work all the kinks out!

I've beta-tested these features to a few people, so speak up if you're one of them; I'd love to fuse our work together and maybe have a "Not-So-Shoddy Battle" be the result. ^_^

Yup, same boat as matty.

Nonetheless, thanks for your hard work and dedication Doug. These new features are awesome!

Thank you so much Doug. Those little nitpicks are so much better. Backgrounds add so much to the battle and i like the No challenges status.

Rurushu

Sleepless Strategist
is a Past WCoP Champion
  • The chat window now remembers its position if you scroll it up. It no longer jumps to the bottom every time a new message is posted. Scroll back down to the bottom, if you want the window to "auto-scroll" like it always has.
  • The chat will now remember selected text, even if new messages are posted. Previously, it was very difficult to copypaste from a fast-moving mainchat, since the selection was cleared on every new post.
  • The user list remembers selections, even when members join/leave. Previously, it could be very hard to get a right-click menu, since the selection cleared every time server users changed.
Excellent :O

Thanks Doug!

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
the chat scroll bar sticking where you drop it is really annoying in battles, you have to manually scroll down for the rest of the battle for every turn. This is even more annoying than it was before.

That's not been happening to me, if I scroll up to check something, and then scroll all the way to the bottom, it starts auto scrolling for me again.

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks to everyone who helped out with this. ^^

It looks pretty cool on my windows, now I just gotta get it on my laptop lol.

Wow, I really like these new updates.

A couple caveats, though:
1. it would be cool if the ctrl+m moderation window didn't immediately disappear. I was using it just now and was a little annoyed that it went away once i kicked the first person (when I intended to kick two).
2. the chat scrolling seems a bit weird. When new messages come, the chat seems to scroll up for a second and then scroll back down. When it's just a single message, the bump is hardly noticable, but when a bunch of people are chatting at once, it seems very chaotic (almost clusterfuckesque).

I definitely appreciate these changes, so don't mistake my intentions!

These changes are really cool and good job guys, but the new version of Shoddy is lagging extremely badly....

If there's anyway to work on this problem it would be greatly appreciated. :)

I'd just like to join in on sayin that, "you guys rock!" I love the new background, but most of all the "stay still" chat thing. Thank you for all of your hard work!

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Don't know if its my computer or what, but the new shoddy is really laggy for me, I cant even ladder and alt-tab like I usually do without it lagging out inbetween multi-tasking

Cathy

Banned deucer.
the chat scroll bar sticking where you drop it is really annoying in battles, you have to manually scroll down for the rest of the battle for every turn. This is even more annoying than it was before.
This was the case in the initial deployment, but I located and fixed the bug shortly thereafter. It should be resolved by you redownloading the program again.

These changes are really cool and good job guys, but the new version of Shoddy is lagging extremely badly....

If there's anyway to work on this problem it would be greatly appreciated. :)
Isn't lagging for me. I really like the new options. Although I miss the classic style. The background images aren't of any significance to me. Also, there are various types of bugs I've experienced. Such as when I use a move it switches my move to another that I didn't click on.

When the ladder ranking reset function is working, will it be possible to reset my rating for just one metagame? Say I'm really high in ubers, I don't want to have to reset my uber rating to play more OU.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Wow, I really like these new updates.

A couple caveats, though:
1. it would be cool if the ctrl+m moderation window didn't immediately disappear. I was using it just now and was a little annoyed that it went away once i kicked the first person (when I intended to kick two).
2. the chat scrolling seems a bit weird. When new messages come, the chat seems to scroll up for a second and then scroll back down. When it's just a single message, the bump is hardly noticable, but when a bunch of people are chatting at once, it seems very chaotic (almost clusterfuckesque).

I definitely appreciate these changes, so don't mistake my intentions!
Multi-select works in the Chat Moderation window. So, if you need to kick more than one person, just select them both and press Kick. It's that simple!

As for the chat scrolling, I've been using the new client for the past few months and I've never had it jump around like you describe. I've been on during some very high-traffic times too. My computer isn't particularly high-powered either. I'm curious why it is working that way for you. If I see anything like this, I'll see what I can do to fix it. In general, it was pretty nasty to control the scrolling of the chat window properly, while still maintaining any selected text. Colin and Bearzly have a simpler solution in Shoddy 2, so perhaps it will be better then.

When the ladder ranking reset function is working, will it be possible to reset my rating for just one metagame? Say I'm really high in ubers, I don't want to have to reset my uber rating to play more OU.
The Ladder Rating Reset is ladder specific. But, I don't want to get too involved in that feature, because there are some hairy problems remaining to be worked out. I had the reset feature working for a long time, but at the last minute, I realized several ratings implications that could result in unfair ratings. So, I disabled the feature yesterday, so as not to further delay releasing these changes any longer. I'll work on the rating reset problem soon enough.

Thanks, Doug. The updates are looking great! I was just curious about the ladder reset, so thanks for clearing that up. Your work is certainly appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)