separating the art from the artist

RODAN

Banned deucer.
i just watched the movie "Chinatown" by Roman Polanski and absolutely adored it. So when I went to read other reviews of it I found mostly praise, but peppered throughout that were comments about how since he was a pedo/rapist that it makes the movies value diminish. To me that doesn't make much sense, what an actor, or a musical artist, or a director creates is simply that - a creation. Like does Kramer saying the N word at the laugh factory make his performance in seinfeld less memorable and iconic? no not really.

i guess i just don't understand the concept of the art being intrinsically linked to the artist. a good piece of art is a good piece of art

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
I'd say I agree. It's not like you're condoning their actions by just watching the movie, if anything it's the industry's job to punish people like that by not allowing them to keep working like they used to.

There's the meme of the art piece made by Hitler to guilt trip people, should they like it, which is just dumb. There's also the people trying to dissuade others from consuming some sort of media by an author/participant because they don't want others to support them monetarily or by recognition, but then you're just spiting the vast majority of people that also worked on the project that most likely had nothing to do with what you had a problem with.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Separating the art from the artist would be a perfectly sound critical school among many in an ideal world, one where the power dynamics and imbalances fueled by fame and industry influence did not exist and were not vital tools used by sexual predators of all stripes. That is not the world we live in, though. The choices we make in media consumption matter in a certain material sense — playing an PWR BTTM song on Spotify or buying a Woody Allen movie on DVD literally funds them, and even modes of media consumption that don’t involve spending money still grants artists the influence and celebrity they can use to abuse others and evade consequence. This isn’t, strictly speaking, a moral matter — you aren’t a bad person for watching “Annie Hall” — but merely a matter of tracing cause and effect. By creating a culture that excuses the misdeeds of the powerful, talented or rich, we make it harder for their victims, from fellow celebrities to anonymous teenagers, to retain their dignity in society.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think the best way to approach it from a critical standpoint is to look at the way these undesirable aspects of the author are reflected within the work in question; take Rurouni Kenshin for instance—the author was done for CP posession, but when you actually look at the work itself you see something that, by and large, takes a lot of care regarding the way it presents its child characters; there are people with no convictions putting out work that is substantially more abusive and paedophilic in presentation (see: anything by the Eromanga Sensei guy) and as such you really can’t make the argument that it its author’s undesirable tendencies detract from the work’s overall quality.

From a moral standpoint it comes much more down to the idea that by supporting these works you are supporting a racist or a nazi or a sex offender; sure if you watch it pirated it doesn’t really make a whole lot of difference because by doing so you’re not supporting any aspect of the work’s production, but by investing money into it through buying it on DVD/blu ray, watching it on a subscription service, watching it in the cinema/theatre, buying their painting etc. you create the argument that you’re putting money into that person’s pockets, at which point it boils down to whether you think whatever sliver of your cash goes to the person qualifies as you supporting their bad morals. That’s a question that I can’t really answer for anyone else as it comes down to your own beliefs, but personally I don’t think that I’m investing in someone else’s immorality by investing in their work.

It always blew my mind as a kid that the Ender's Game series, one of the most blatantly anti bigotry pieces of science fiction I've read, was written by an anti semite. And I guess I made peace with the fact that I would never be able to respect the man in the same way I respected his work. And I'm really happy that all the celebrities who got MeTooed are out of work, but it doesn't make me respect a past performance any less.

Now sometimes an artist can take an active role in the conversation about their own work but in my experience this is largely not the case, so I'm a big believer that art is in the eye of the beholder. A work that gets big enough to be boycotted has grown so far beyond the influence of its creators through analysis, cultural expression, and other inspired work that it makes sense to treat it like its own entity. And to me supporting all the good that comes out of supporting the work is enough to decide not to boycott (although i guess pirating it or something would be the ideal solution if you want to support the work without funding the artist but I'm not a fan of that).

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Art is meant to be appreciated and interpreted in different ways by the individual viewing or listening to it. That is why one song, one painting, one statue or whatever can have an endless plethora of meanings that people take away from the artwork. That is the beauty of art, that it can reach out and touch an individual in entirely unique ways and leave a lasting impact and further influence other people. The artist's background can have an impact on how the work is received but it very rarely detracts from the work unless the artist's history is so antithetical from their work so as to be hypocritical.

Does knowing that John Lennon beat his wife in any way detract from the lasting legacy of the Beatles and their influence and interpretation from the masses? Absolutely not as songs are meant to be interpreted and absorbed by the individual. Does Kanye West supporting Donald Trump make College Dropout or MBDTF any less of an album? In my opinion, no it does not. Does knowing JD Salinger was a pedophile in any way detract from the meaning of Catcher in the Rye? If anything I'd say that that history is something that leads to a more profound understanding of the author's work.

What people need to remember is that life is not full of entirely good things, and the bad things must happen in order for people to understand them and move past them and progress as society. That is not to say I condone child chasing, wife beating, murderous behavior but that artwork as a whole is meant to encompass both the good experiences, and in my opinion more importantly, the bad experiences. To me, knowing that John Lennon struggled with the dualism of preaching a lifestyle of love and peace and then battling his own demons in abusing his wife or neglecting his child have led me to humanize the legends of these artists, encorporate their messages in an authentic way, and move past their mistakes. If you cannot get over an artist's history in attempting to appreciate their art, I do not see how you can actually appreciate the art, as the phony external message is but one part of the creation of the artwork.

it would be absolutely ludicrous to berate MLK for his adulterous affairs and simply dismiss the entirety of his work and efforts as I'm sure a great many people on this website would agree. Gandhi's legacy was "tainted" with his affairs despite preaching sexual abstinence; Elvis' wife was 14yo when Elvis (then 24) fell in love with her. Thomas Jefferson, Lincoln, were racist and/or had slaves despite being champions of individual freedoms. You have to learn to seperate the art from the artist, no matter if it's a musician, a champion of human rights, an artist, a writer, a film director, an actor, etc. It's ignorant to simply dismiss a form of art just because you happen to learn the artist's true past. No one is perfect and everyone battles their own demons, whether its something as small as drug dependence or something as big as racial genocide (Hitler) one should be able to recognize that appreciation of an art form is not in any way a recognizance and acceptance of those demons. Thinking John Lennon is one of the most influential and amazing musicians of the modern musical era does not mean that I permit or excuse away his abusive relationships he kept with his wives. Thinking that an original Hitler painting is a good painting does not mean that you align yourself with Aryan supremacy views, it simply means you think its a good painting. What you take away from the artwork is entirely up to the individual.

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
generally time spent discrediting art or entertainment for any reason is better spend endorsing work with the virtue opposite the vice you wanted to whine about. "You shouldn't be enjoying the thing" is not a particularly compelling argument to many.

Essentially, even if it was one's moral responsibility to boycott works by bigots, criminals and other disagreeable folks, this responsbility would be ill served by complaining on the internet.

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
I mean I dont like HItler as much as the next guy but if hes gonna paint me a decent looking landscape painting or some painting of a german town square and ive got an empty wall with nothing on it, Im gonna take the painting. Its free and it looks nice. I think anyone would do the same

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think the best way to approach it from a critical standpoint is to look at the way these undesirable aspects of the author are reflected within the work in question; take Rurouni Kenshin for instance—the author was done for CP posession, but when you actually look at the work itself you see something that, by and large, takes a lot of care regarding the way it presents its child characters; there are people with no convictions putting out work that is substantially more abusive and paedophilic in presentation (see: anything by the Eromanga Sensei guy) and as such you really can’t make the argument that it its author’s undesirable tendencies detract from the work’s overall quality. yes you can. hitler's mein kampf should probably be read in a certain context understanding who hitler is, so that his terrible views can be academically understood without poisoning your thinking

From a moral standpoint it comes much more down to the idea that by supporting these works you are supporting a racist or a nazi or a sex offender no, it's permeating a system of culture that harms vulnerable persons and/or certain groups; however, this is not a certainty which is why a person need to be very reflective and carefully decide which of these pieces of art harms on such a level; sure if you watch it pirated it doesn’t really make a whole lot of difference because by doing so you’re not supporting any aspect of the work’s production, but by investing money into it through buying it on DVD/blu ray, watching it on a subscription service, watching it in the cinema/theatre, buying their painting etc. you create the argument that you’re putting money into that person’s pockets, at which point it boils down to whether you think whatever sliver of your cash goes to the person qualifies as you supporting their bad morals. Again, it's not just about the money. It's about the pop culture, especially American pop culture that propagates these ideals to populations that eventually use these moral models to justify their own actions. As an example, a violent Trump supporter, or, more easily identifiable, a Nazi. That’s a question that I can’t really answer for anyone else as it comes down to your own beliefs possibly, but beliefs are judged. If you believe the earth is flat, I judge you to be an idiot. Similarly, if you support Hitler's views expressed in Mein Kampf again I'll probably think you're an idiot, but personally I don’t think that I’m investing in someone else’s immorality by investing in their work incorrect, you definitely invest in them, you just make the moral decision that it doesn't matter to you. Neutrality is a choice
Art is meant to be appreciated and interpreted in different ways by the individual viewing or listening to it this statement presupposes that all art is permanently subjective, which is unproven. While quality and objectivity are often at odds with each other when it comes to evaluating a piece of art, the fact that we have techniques and methods for approaching art in certain ways demonstrates that we have aesthetic understandings of what art attempts to convey. And if the contextual message has a strong push towards being a negative message, then it's a negative message. There are many poems written by old slave owners that cry about losing their slaves. Definitely art, but not necessarily something worth caring over or supporting. Not all knowledge is worth exploring. Not all opinions or conversation pieces are worth talking about. That is why one song, one painting, one statue or whatever can have an endless plethora of meanings that people take away from the artwork and some other songs, or paintings, or statue, or whatever can have a singular meaning. A statue of Caesar is a statue of Caesar. It's still art. That is the beauty of art, that it can reach out and touch an individual in entirely unique ways and leave a lasting impact and further influence other people art isn't a magical pony that always delivers good feels. Art has the capacity to harm and determining whether a piece of art is worth exploring, and how a person takes on the personal journey of exploring that art is a question that needs to be answered for an individuals well-being. Subsequently, how an art affects culture is equally as important. The artist's background can have an impact on how the work is received but it very rarely detracts from the work unless the artist's history is so antithetical from their work so as to be hypocritical Hitler's Mein Kampf or Bill Cosby's Autobiography probably don't deserve your adoration. Not saying they do, in fact I'd imaging they don't resonate with you at all... but the fact that they don't demonstrate that some art is worth denouncing.

Does knowing that John Lennon beat his wife in any way detract from the lasting legacy of the Beatles and their influence and interpretation from the masses? Yes actually, it creates a cognitive dissonance, and demonstrates that he was perhaps more complex and troubled than his songs explicate, though I always thought John Lennon was fighting crazy demons, and understanding that he's not perfect is part of understanding the beatles. There's a reason people say ignorance is bliss. The more intimiately involved you are in John Lennon's history of abuse, the less you're probably captivated by the Beatles. Absolutely not as songs are meant to be interpreted and absorbed by the individual. Does Kanye West supporting Donald Trump make College Dropout or MBDTF any less of an album? In this case you're right, because Kanye West himself is a deeply troubled bi-polar individual who is enabled by the people in his life and needs help. This doesn't make him any less of a genius, though, so no it doesn't affect the legacy of his music. Mental health is not the same as committing a crime against a vulnerable person. In my opinion, no it does not. Does knowing JD Salinger was a pedophile in any way detract from the meaning of Catcher in the Rye? If anything I'd say that that history is something that leads to a more profound understanding of the author's work. Yes. Profoundness is not an inherently good quality. However in this case, the context of knowing a book like Catcher in the Rye promotes more good than the harm associated with this author. But again, similar to the Beatles the closer you are to Salinger's markers of abuse, the less you probably care to read or be associated in any way with such a vile human being, beyond even that of academia.

What people need to remember is that life is not full of entirely good things, and the bad things must happen in order for people to understand them and move past them and progress as society. Agreed. Some art should be studied to know what NOT to do. Denouncing art doesn't mean you burn the book, it means you take the time to understand the material and then speak out against harm causing elements in order to promote the good life. That is not to say I condone child chasing, wife beating, murderous behavior but that artwork as a whole is meant to encompass both the good experiences, and in my opinion more importantly, the bad experiences. I also agree, I definitely don't think you support the actions that some of these artists have committed. However, "humanizing" is a bit of a soft word. He was a terrible father and a mean-spirited person to many women. Bill Cosby is such a martyr for these events because of the level of popularity and access he had to people's lives. And the fact that he's probably still alive, so a great person to make an example of.To me, knowing that John Lennon struggled with the dualism of preaching a lifestyle of love and peace and then battling his own demons in abusing his wife or neglecting his child have led me to humanize the legends of these artists, encorporate their messages in an authentic way, and move past their mistakes. If you cannot get over an artist's history in attempting to appreciate their art, I do not see how you can actually appreciate the art, as the phony external message is but one part of the creation of the artwork. I totally disagree with this. If you can can get over an artist's history, with no regard for who they were or what they did, then you purposefully and actively close your mind off to the truth of the world and in my view nothing could be more tragic than a caved-mind, though perhaps ignorance is bliss as it seems the jury is still out on this one.

it would be absolutely ludicrous to berate MLK for his adulterous affairs and simply dismiss the entirety of his work and efforts as I'm sure a great many people on this website would agree. Gandhi's legacy was "tainted" with his affairs despite preaching sexual abstinence; Elvis' wife was 14yo when Elvis (then 24) fell in love with her. Thomas Jefferson, Lincoln, were racist and/or had slaves despite being champions of individual freedoms. You have to learn to seperate the art from the artist, no matter if it's a musician, a champion of human rights, an artist, a writer, a film director, an actor, etc. It's ignorant to simply dismiss a form of art just because you happen to learn the artist's true past. No one is perfect and everyone battles their own demons, whether its something as small as drug dependence or something as big as racial genocide (Hitler) one should be able to recognize that appreciation of an art form is not in any way a recognizance and acceptance of those demons. Thinking John Lennon is one of the most influential and amazing musicians of the modern musical era does not mean that I permit or excuse away his abusive relationships he kept with his wives. Thinking that an original Hitler painting is a good painting does not mean that you align yourself with Aryan supremacy views, it simply means you think its a good painting. Ok... but could you ever think of a Hitler painting as a good painting? Could you ever say "Mein Kampf" is a terrific book? What you take away from the artwork is entirely up to the individual. Touching back to my first point on your commend, I do agree that some art is subjective, but not subjective to the point where I can say something stupid, like "the beatles don't matter" and be taken seriously. Standards exist in conversation, just as how standards exist for the people who created the art, and these standards are only forgotten by the masses but never morally nullified.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
kink said:
this statement presupposes that all art is permanently subjective, which is unproven. While quality and objectivity are often at odds with each other when it comes to evaluating a piece of art, the fact that we have techniques and methods for approaching art in certain ways demonstrates that we have aesthetic understandings of what art attempts to convey. And if the contextual message has a strong push towards being a negative message, then it's a negative message. There are many poems written by old slave owners that cry about losing their slaves. Definitely art, but not necessarily something worth caring over or supporting. Not all knowledge is worth exploring. Not all opinions or conversation pieces are worth talking about.
What are you even trying to say here? Objective / Subjective is an entirely binary concept, it either is objective or it is not, in which case it is subjective. Objectivity simply does not exist in the same conversation as artwork, if it did then the concept of "taste" would not exist at all and we would not even be having this conversation in the first place. It is not up to me to "prove" subjectivity more it is up to you to somehow prove there is an objective measure to art in the first place. Methods and techniques for creating artwork are simply guidelines, the equivalent to mapping out a section of land by following the footsteps of your predecessors. They are not objective simply because they are commonly used, rather they are an easy method for people get involved in the process of creation. The act of creation is not about taking the same concepts that have been used since forever and just rearranging them, but to use those concepts as stepping stones in order to create something new and original. The quiddity of originality defies objectivism because of this. Art attempts to convey a message however that message is often entirely up to interpretation; that is the basis of art critique. A negative message being a negative message is not always true. You see a negative message that is to be entirely discarded, a slave owner lamenting his lack of slaves and see no value in that. I see a poem lamenting slaves as an opportunity to learn the inner thinkings behind the concept of owning someone, and can use it to further better myself and my understanding of the world, as well as the culture that the artwork was created under. To completely discard it is folly as there is always value in creation. Creation is a method of externalizing the aspects of someone's thinking, culture, background in ways that simply cannot be expressed in simple words and is a great way to explore the fundamental aspects of the world, whether the creation is interpreted as good or bad is entirely up to the individual.

Hitler's Mein Kampf or Bill Cosby's Autobiography probably don't deserve your adoration. Not saying they do, in fact I'd imaging they don't resonate with you at all... but the fact that they don't demonstrate that some art is worth denouncing.
Why? I for one have no interest in reading either material as you say but that does not prove your point at all. You cannot extrapolate my personal, flawed, opinion and understanding of the world and art critique as the absolute nature of art. For what its worth, I would say that any autobiography, no matter who the person is, is a good form of art that can lead to better understanding of the most undesirable aspects of humanity. Mein Kampf is as important to human history as any other artistical expression. I think the Guardian puts it best:

"Neither Hitler nor his ugly ideas came from outside history – to the contrary, they were a product of it. Hitler can only be understood, it follows, if he is read as an author like any other."

Yes actually, it creates a cognitive dissonance, and demonstrates that he was perhaps more complex and troubled than his songs explicate, though I always thought John Lennon was fighting crazy demons, and understanding that he's not perfect is part of understanding the beatles. There's a reason people say ignorance is bliss. The more intimiately involved you are in John Lennon's history of abuse, the less you're probably captivated by the Beatles.
Do you believe this is entirely true? I chose John Lennon because he is by and far my biggest inspiration as a musician, with, however cliche it is, the Beatles being one of my favorite groups to ever exist (and Lennon being my favorite of the fab four solo work). Hearing historical analyses about how he beat Cynthia, or how he neglected Julian for twenty odd years leads to a much greater appreciation of his work for me. Knowing that in "Getting Better" he regrets his past and attempts to move forward from his past mistakes ("I used to be cruel to my woman/I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved/Man I was mean but I'm changing my scene/And I'm doing the best that I can") helps to humanize his myth to me, to show that he is just as human as literally everyone else. From an interview with Playboy: "I couldn't express myself and I hit. I fought men and I hit women. That is why I am always on about peace, you see. It is the most violent people who go for love and peace. Everything's the opposite. But I sincerely believe in love and peace. I am a violent man who has learned not to be violent and regrets his violence. I will have to be a lot older before I can face in public how I treated women as a youngster." That is not cognitive dissonance per say but it is a realistic expression of the world and encorporates a negative message that can be absorbed in a positive manner, someone else's negative attributes that a listener can use to learn from. I do not condone Lennon's women beating, rather the opposite I find it abhorrent and the first time I heard of it it really put into perspective the glamorized history behind it, but I find that the duality really serves to heighten the appreciation of his art.

In this case you're right, because Kanye West himself is a deeply troubled bi-polar individual who is enabled by the people in his life and needs help. This doesn't make him any less of a genius, though, so no it doesn't affect the legacy of his music. Mental health is not the same as committing a crime against a vulnerable person.
As a psychology / philosophy double major I think you are being a little disingenuous here. You only hand wave away Kanye West's comments because you have some semblance of understanding behind his mental background (ironically, from comments he himself has made about his mental state, as if that is not as biased as it can get). It is easy to use mental illness from someone you understand as a shield but then demonize someone who you have no clue about their background or upbringing. What would you say about Charles Manson and his artwork (yes he created artwork - here)? He very clearly had mental issues, most likely a form of schizophrenia, a delusional disorder, narcissism personality disorder, among probably a slew of other ego-related disorders. Does that excuse his history and actions knowing he was most likely insane? What about Hitler, who had paranoid schizophrenia and megalomania? This argument is deeply flawed because you cannot at one point excuse a problematic person and their art due to the mental illness they suffer from simply because you happen to understand them at some level and then reject the artwork of another person (who also most likely suffered from mental illness, as most problematic people do). Either you accept or reject all, cherry picking simply because you happen to aesthetically like the artist is the exact argument you preach against.

And I would just say, mental illness is ENTIRELY the same as committing a crime against a vulnerable person. A vast majority of criminals, both in modern and past times, have suffered from mental illnesses, both diagnosed and undiagnosed. Artwork is but one method to attempting to understand what that person suffers from. There is a reason that artwork has been used since clinical diagnoses have existed as a means of diagnosis. If you want you can read more about the methods of art therapy from this link.

Yes. Profoundness is not an inherently good quality. However in this case, the context of knowing a book like Catcher in the Rye promotes more good than the harm associated with this author. But again, similar to the Beatles the closer you are to Salinger's markers of abuse, the less you probably care to read or be associated in any way with such a vile human being, beyond even that of academia.
On the contrary, I find Salinger's pedophiliac tendencies to be deeply intertwined with a full understanding of the novel. Simply a shallow reading without knowing the history leads to some superficial understanding of the novel on a high school reading level, while knowing the history of the individual who penned it can lead to a much more profound and enlightened understanding of the nuances of the novel. You again seem to assume that a negative history can lead to a negative (morally) understanding of the artwork, which I do not believe is true. There are many one can learn from something that may have a negative past.

I totally disagree with this. If you can can get over an artist's history, with no regard for who they were or what they did, then you purposefully and actively close your mind off to the truth of the world and in my view nothing could be more tragic than a caved-mind, though perhaps ignorance is bliss as it seems the jury is still out on this one.
"Getting over an artist's history" as you put it does not mean that you just actively close your mind off to how they are a terrible person. When I listen to "Crippled Inside" I do not simply forget that John Lennon did terrible things, it simply means I can extricate his past with my own personal interpretation of his art. I do not handwave and say "yeah he was an abuser but he he makes bangers." Life is not binarily good and bad but a mixture of grey, and I think you would find that next to almost 100% of artwork created has had some form of negative experience in that person's life. And even then when exactly do you stop? Where do you draw the line? Does an artist hitting his wife in an alcoholic rage automatically dismiss anything that he has or will ever create? What if the timeline was 20 years prior to actually making the piece of artwork? 10 years? 5 years? Are there some transgressions that are simply a product of their time and can be excused, such as the infamous Wagner anti-Semitism? Does racism carry the same weight as physical abuse?

Those are all rhetorical questions, but the point is that in the amalgamation of artwork you would be hardpressed to find an entirely Puritanical product, free of any moral corruption. Every single person has skeletons in the closet and the point is not to demonize and hold standards to the ethical actions of the creator but to look at its impact on the world at large, what it does to inspire future generations or further the creation of art mediums.

Ok... but could you ever think of a Hitler painting as a good painting? Could you ever say "Mein Kampf" is a terrific book?
What exactly do you define "good" and "terrific" to be? Good as in an aspiration for what all of humanity should aspire to be? Aesthetically good? Terrific in that it is revolutionary in providing new ideas to further society, or terrific in that it depicts the thoughts and musings of an incredibly troubled mind and allows a new perspective? I could absolutely say that Hitler was a "good" artist. Undoubtedly his artwork was "good" by the supposed aesthetic standards you seem to be imposing. If you did not happen to know that that picture was by Adolf Hitler I would imagine that you would say whoever the artist was was very talented, with the ability to depict a realistic and exquisite setting. What are you trying to imply by "terrific?" I can view Mein Kampf as an enlightening experience into viewing the horrific ideas perpetuated by the Nazi movement, in an attempt to learn from the rhetorical tricks that Hitler used to sway the masses. Is it a "terrific" book in that the ideas are something that I resonate with and think should be enacted in this world? No. Something as vague as "good" or "terrific" have meanings that are entirely open to interpretation.

Touching back to my first point on your commend, I do agree that some art is subjective, but not subjective to the point where I can say something stupid, like "the beatles don't matter" and be taken seriously. Standards exist in conversation, just as how standards exist for the people who created the art, and these standards are only forgotten by the masses but never morally nullified.
The problem I see is that you are equivocating the moral "good" with the aesthetic "good" when they are entirely separate concepts. A good person is another entity compared to a good piece of art, or a good piece of food, or a good time. I do not see how you can both say that art is subjective (as you say here) but then also imply that art is objective (as you say in your opening rebuttal). I would like further explanation of this phenomena, as my understanding is that objective and subjective are opposites in essence.

edit: good thread

Last edited:
And if the contextual message has a strong push towards being a negative message, then it's a negative message. There are many poems written by old slave owners that cry about losing their slaves. Definitely art, but not necessarily something worth caring over or supporting. Not all knowledge is worth exploring. Not all opinions or conversation pieces are worth talking about.
I don't think I agree. I've never heard of such poems, but I would find them fascinating in illuminating the mindset of a slave owner with all its contradictions. You don't have to interpret art or books the way the author intended them to - you can read them against the grain to better understand their premises and historical context, and to be able to combat the viewpoints of their contemporary proponents. I've read some authors whose worldviews I find utterly and completely loathsome. It doesn't mean I agree with them. Shutting your eyes doesn't make history disappear, the legacies of racism and slavery and imperialism and fascism are with us whether we want it or not. Wanting to be better informed about these by going to primary sources isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I personally separate the art from the artist.
But many times, I see people who don't do that. And they'd like something just because it's from a certain artist... even if the artist obviously screwed up.
I guess it's because some people kind of emotionally attach to a particular artist or something.

I honestly think it depends on the person’s views on the art. If they admire the art more, or the artist’s talent they used to create it. I personally can seperate art from the artist, and appreciate what it is and the beauty of the piece. I can see where others come from. For example, when people see the Velociraptor drawings in smogon they thing “Oh, that’s honks art!”, And when hey see the other painting and know who painted it, I can see why they wouldn’t want it. Though even if it was done by a person with a horrible history, that time is over and no longer happening... it’s history now, I think it would be interesting to see works of art with a past, good or bad.

Reading this just makes me think about the fact that people will listen to murderers in music, let murderers play in the NFL, but won't accept anyone with a tarnish who acts. Real interesting tbh

Do you have to understand the concept of linking the artist to their works? Whether you link the two or not is a matter of opinion. What is not a matter of opinion is that people will link the artist with their art.

The artist is a product of their environment. The art is a product of the artist. Unless that work of art is using some other type of branding strategy that isn't tieing down the work to the artist, the artist may as well be the brand.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Really tho like Rodan do you not self cringe a bit when remix to ignition comes on and you're like damn r Kelly why you gotta be raping minors you're such a good artist?? Cos I fuckin love that song so much but damn like, you know? There was a human cost to the art, and it fucks me up a lot.

I think that it's perfectly possible to dislike the history of artist and art, yet appreciate the aesthetic for what it is. Disliking a certain type of aesthetic because of the history strikes as histrionic and disingenuous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)