Seekers Sand semi stall (Peaked #18 on PO server)

Hi guys

I have been having great success with this team recently, but I do feel it can do with some improvement(which is why Im here) The team relies on having good prediction, thus forcing switches and KOing, crippling pokes on the switch, while they take hazard damage. The team also has that little bit of a surprise factor which imo all teams need.

Ok now to the team:

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk /4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Donphans job is to set up rocks, which he is guaranteed (barring taunt, sleep etc) due to sturdy. With good enough prediction he can KO espeon on the switch as well ( I usually EQ if I see a suspicious lead (mostly u-turners)). Max attack is to hit hard, especially with ice shard which is invaluable vs Dnite, mence etc. Ice shard is also their to beat focus sash users. Donphan still has good bulk even without EV investment, and with max attack, he hits real hard.

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 52 SDef / 12 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind

Skarmory is here for... being Skarmory. Sets up spikes, phazes and takes physical hits like a pro. Being Immune to sandstorm helps a lot too. Skarmories weaknesses are covered pretty well by Tyranitar and vice versa. Skarmory is often the only thing that stands in the way of me and a dnite sweep (barring ice shard + wearing down by sand). Brave bird is there because I hate being useless after taunt + it KOs breloom which is troublesome for this team.

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef /4 Atk
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Thunder Wave

Specially defensive Tyranitar. I will probably get lots of flak(which I usually do) for using this set, but it works a charm. Non specs politoed hardly scratches it, while it T-waves the switch(typically genesect/keldeo). Rest + sleep talk means it can beatdown its "counters" such as Rotom-w etc. Crunch over payback due to slowbrow + defense drops (which are surprisingly useful). Ttar can wall basically any special attack (bar focus blast) and cripple/ KO the switch with the appropriate move. A specially defensive TTar wins me the weather war almost all the time.

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 96 SAtk / 76 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Earth Power

Heatran is a great poke. He walls genesect, serperior, basically he is awesome. Sub is there to ease prediction and its pretty easy to get one with the metagame full of ferrothorns. Toxic is great on heatran imo, since whatever cant be poisoned will take some serious hurt from flamethrower/earth power. Politoed and Dnite are usually the main victims of toxic. Bulky heatran since it fits well with the style of the team. The special attack EVs are there since I hate being KOed back by an almost dead heatran.

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Shadow Ball

Spin blocker, water absorber, Jellicent does its job well. As great as Sp.def TTar is, he cant take too many specs hydro pumps from politoed, therefore jellicent usually scouts the set. Jellicent also provides the all important fighting immunity. Shadow ball is surpringly useful to beat Taunt jellicent, and to hurt Alakazam, who is a troublesome poke. Will-o-wisp + scald means that something will probably get burned. Defensive Evs so that it can take earthquakes and other physical moves.

Azelf @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd/ 4 Hp
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Terribly underrated pokemon IMO. It has plain awesome speed + coverage, and rips apart many teams lategame. Deals with gliscor,keldeo, ferrothorn, conkeldurr, Non DD d dragons etc. One big problem is the LO recoil + sand though, although he usually comes out in the late game. I was thinking of switching to expert belt, but I would lose the raw power of psychic which is sometimes needed. I need suggestions on this. Also provides a check to breloom, which as aforementioned, gives the team some trouble.

Thats the team, and its been working pretty well, but Im pretty sure it can do with some improvment

THREATS (Off the top of my head)

Ferriligator(in rain):

Seriously, this thing wrecks. 2koes skarm, and KOes everything else. Best chance I have is to get it before it sets up, or toxic it with heatran and predict like a boss until its dies.

Breloom : I need it not to spore skarm, since skarm is my only counter to it (barring azelf, which I like to keep hidden) I usally take a chance and switch in TTar who doesnt mind sleep much.

Alakazam: Ferro usually has to be sacrificed and then donphan cleans up with ice shard. Alternatively, full HP ttar can take Focus blast, (or it will miss
) and crunch ftw.But still troublesome.

Taunt Gyarados: For similar reasons to Ferriligator, but to a lesser extent due to lack of crunch.

Dugtrio: traps TTar and heatran, nuff said.

Import:

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Shadow Ball

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Thunder Wave

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 96 SAtk / 76 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Earth Power

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 52 SDef / 12 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind

Azelf @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Nice work on the team :) However, in reading, I realized you have a pretty intense weakness to Choice Scarf Terrakion and Trick Room Reuniclus. You may either want to scarf your Azelf, or change him to someone that can take hits. I personally suggest you change it up with this:
Slowbro
252 HP 252 DEF 4 SPDEF 0 IVS in speed
Bold Leftovers Regenerate
Scald
Psyshock
Slack Off
Toxic
This is a really great counter to both. It can take hits from Terrakion like a beast and switch in on anything it throws your way:
Stone Edge:
Damage: 109 - 130 of 331 HP
32% - 39%

Close Combat:
Damage: 66 - 78 of 331 HP
19% - 23%

You switch in take hits like a boss, and fight back with a Psychock (Terrakion gets boosted special defense)

Also it ties Reuniclus in speed and can usually outstall him. He also has that regenerator to switch in easily.

Yah so I hope you take my opinions into consideration.
:D

Nice work on the team :) However, in reading, I realized you have a pretty intense weakness to Choice Scarf Terrakion and Trick Room Reuniclus. You may either want to scarf your Azelf, or change him to someone that can take hits. I personally suggest you change it up with this:
Slowbro
252 HP 252 DEF 4 SPDEF 0 IVS in speed
Bold Leftovers Regenerate
Scald
Psyshock
Slack Off
Toxic
This is a really great counter to both. It can take hits from Terrakion like a beast and switch in on anything it throws your way:
Stone Edge:
Damage: 109 - 130 of 331 HP
32% - 39%

Close Combat:
Damage: 66 - 78 of 331 HP
19% - 23%

You switch in take hits like a boss, and fight back with a Psychock (Terrakion gets boosted special defense)

Also it ties Reuniclus in speed and can usually outstall him. He also has that regenerator to switch in easily.

Yah so I hope you take my opinions into consideration.
:D
Hmm choice scarf terrakion has not been a problem so far since Skarm walls and it, and donphan can deal with it in a pinch. Trick Room reni can be problematic..., but focus blast has a significant chance of not Ohkoeing TTar, even if Reuniculus has a life orb. Couple this with Focus blasts terrible accuracy, and reni has not been much of a problem. I might try out slowbro, but I am reluctant to replace Azelf since he does his job so well, often cleaning up the last 2/3 pokes. ou talked about Azelf not being able to take hits, but I dont allow it to be hit usually. Thanks for the suggestions :)(might try slowbro)

Pursuit Tar is very common. Once Azelf is out the game I would fear CB Terrakion. Yeah you have Jellicant but after taking a CB Stone Edge its effectively out the game.

Skarmory isn't a CB Terrakion counter. All it ends up doing is roosting in hope that it doesn't get critically hit.

Donphan gets 2ohkoed on switch in.

I'd just use the standard Choice scarf Landorus over Azelf. I think its a better late game sweeper with Sand Force.

How comes your not using shed shell on Skarmory? Isn't the whole point of your team to wear the opponent down with entry hazards?

Most good trainers will predict the Skarmory switch in (with magnezone) and allow you just to lay one layer of spikes. Also you need Skarmory alive for those teams that use both DD Haxorus and Dragonite. Can't expect Donphan to handle them both.

Also Landorus acts as another Check for Dragon dance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)