SS OU Second OU Sword Team (ft. Sirfetch'd)

Hello everyone!

I'm back with another OU Pokemon team I came up with built around another Pokemon I found awesome. The Pokemon is none other than Sirfetch'd. I was delighted when I heard Farfetch'd FINALLY got an evolution after so long. I do feel kinda bad seeing a Pokemon completely forgotten...However, the thing about Pokemon is about battling with your favorites by your side. Since Sirfetch'd is another one of my favorites, I challenged myself to build a team around it, and I know there are still ways to make this team stronger.

First, let's have a looksy at the featured Pokemon:

1577785810726.png

Sirfetch'd
Nature: Adamant
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
EVs: 240 HP/252 Atk/16 Spe
Ability: Scrappy
Held Item: Leek
Close Combat
Knock Off
Poison Jab
Swords Dance

This is one of the Pokemon that fits up my alley. A duck knight wielding a leek as a sword. How cool is that? I could just imagine a flock a sword-wielding ducks protecting a royal palace. This Pokemon takes the role as a bulky sweeper since it does not have that much Speed compared to others. However, it's not to be underestimated with its seer strength and extremely-high critical hit ratio with Leek equipped. No matter how much defense my opponents gain, Sirfetch'd just finds an opening in a blink of an eye! Life Orb is another option for it to gain extra power but it would result in it becoming fatigued when it used too many moves.

Close Combat is the best move to slice and dice the likes of Ferrothorn, Obstagoon, Gigalith, Coalossal, Snorlax and many others. But the best thing about this move is with Scrappy, it can hit Ghost-type Pokemon such as Aegislash and Sableye! Knock Off is to get rid of opposing Eviolites, Leftovers and Choice items, making my opponents strategies fall and Poison Jab for better type coverage over Grass-types and even Fairy-types such as Appletun, Flapple, Hattarene and Sylveon. Swords Dance is there to make sure Sirfetch'd gets clean sweeps.

It's a formidable warrior, but its Speed is its weakness when facing strong sweepers. When it comes to the likes of Gyarados, Togekiss, Gallade, Gardevoir and Clefable, it will have a hard time and will get taken out before it gets a chance to strike. When facing against these threats, Dracovish and Rotom-H can help deal with them. It all comes down to timing when using Sirfetch'd at the right moment.

1577787497918.png

Drcovish
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe
Ability: Strong Jaw
Held Item: Choice Scarf
Vishous Rend
Dragon Rush
Psychic Fangs
Earthquake

Ever watched that Jurassic Park scene where the T-Rex makes her introduction for the first time? Well, this team member has the raw power similar to her! Taking the role as a revenge sweeper with the signature move, Fishous Rend which doubles its power when used first, along with the Strong Jaw that increases the power of Psychic Fangs, it truly holds the titles of 'The ruler of fossilized dinosaurs'!

With Choice Scarf, it's almost guaranteed that the user will go first with Fishous Rend as its most powerful moves. If I'm correct, I think it has the same sheer power as a Galarian Darmanitan. Dragon Rush you may think is an odd choice to go for but let me explain in Sojiro Sakura style. The other move Outrage is indeed very powerful, but the major drawback of it is it locks Dracovish onto that move until it becomes confused. Once its locked on, it can't escape Fairy-type Pokemon. Sometimes its best to play is safe to control the battlefield. Also, Dragon Rush can flinch opponents as a bonus. Psychic Fangs makes it chomp down on its prey with the help of Strong Jaw. Fighting and Poison types such as Machamp, Toxapex, and opposing Sirfetch'd are like meals to it. Finally, Earthquake is for more type coverage against Electric and Steel types.

But even the top predator has its drawbacks. Other Choice Scarf users such as Hydreigon and Dragapult can topple it over before Dacovish gets a chance to attack. That also includes Fairy-types such as the likes of Galarian Rapidash and the previously mentioned Gardevoir and Sylveon. More things to mention is when using Dracovish is going up against those who gain a first priority and those with Water Absorb. First priority moves and Prankster users such as Sableye with Will-O-Wisp can be pretty nasty, leaving this Pokemon in a crippled state and Water Asborb users such as Seismitoad and Lapras makes Fishous Rend useless. So I have to watch out for them when using Dracovish.

1577788792618.png

Rotom-H
Nature: Timid
IVs: 31/0/31/31/31/31
EVs: 252 Sp.Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe
Ability: Levitate
Held Item: Choice Specs
Overheat
Thunderbolt
Volt Switch
Trick

Heat up the oven to cook up the roast dinner cause here comes Rotom-H (Rotom Heat Forme)! After seeing that I can't use Charizard due to the Dynamax ban on here. :( I thought Rotom-H would make a good alternative due to its good type coverage and Trick strategy. This Pokemon takes the role as another Choice user but with Trick, it can cripple strategies, especially those who love to stall, leaving an opening for all my team members. It's also an answer to resisting Fairy-type attacks for the whole team. The same applies to Galarian Weezing as well.

With Choice Specs, Overheat cooks its opponents like London broil rolling on a campfire! The moves has a big chance of OHKOing others who do not resist it. Thunderbolt again is for STAB raw power against the likes of Gyarados, Jellicent, Golispod, Mandibuzz and others who are weak against it. In most cases, Volt Switch is needed to escape so that another team member of mine can take the spotlight, especially when it takes down a Pokemon. Lastly, Trick as I said before, stops stalling methods and those who set up with its Choice Specs.

When it goes up against Water-types, the scenario's a bit like a double-edged sword. Rotom-H can knock them down with a zap but it can also get taken down itself. Fast ones such as Inteleon are able to take it down with ease. Coalossal and Gigalith are also a worry for Rotom-H due to their typing and even though it has Levitate, Mold Breaker users such as Haxorus can completely crush it with a single Earthquake. So like Sirfetch'd, timing is everything when using this Pokemon. (If only I can still use Gigantamax Charizard...)

1577790261426.png

Weezing-Galar
Nature: Bold
IVs: 31/0/31/31/31/31
EVs: 252 HP/196 Def/60 SpD
Ability: Levitate
Held Item: Black Sludge
Strange Steam
Will-O-Wisp
Defog
Pain Split

Here's a team member who provides Defog support with its bulk and typing. In my opinion, every Pokemon team must have someone who gets rid of entry hazards so Pokemon won't suffer additional damage. for my team, I chose Galarian Weezing. Not only does it do a good job, it helps wear down physical attackers until they are no longer able to fight. I put 60 EVs on its Special Defense just so it can handle special attacks a bit more. If I focus on HP and Defense only on Weezing, it makes it more susceptible to special attacks.

For its first move, I had to choose either Strange Steam or Sludge Bomb depending of the team I'm building. My choice went for Strange Steam as it helps take down opposing Dragon-type Pokemon such as Dragapult and Hydreigon. It even helps get through Duraladons with this move. Will-O-Wisp can burn opponents and completely cripple physical attacks such as Swords Dance and Dragon Dance sweepers that do not hold a Lum Berry. Defog is self-explanatory as it eliminates Spikes, Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock and Pain Split keeps it alive to play the long game depending on how much HP the opposition has. Back in Diamond and Pearl, I used to have a Weezing with the same tactic so I thought I would implement that to a Galarian Weezing.

Since it is a team-supporter, It's bait against the likes of Taunt and Choice users. Once any of the threats start happening, Weezing is a sitting duck. No, I'm not talking about Sirfetch'd. I meant it's extremely vulnerable to them. Not only that, it'd be difficult to recover against dancers who have that move especially Gyarados. That beast is naaaaaaaaasty. It can also have trouble facing against other defensive Pokemon such as Clefable, Sylveon and even Umbreon with Wish.

1577791360091.png

Ferrothorn
Nature Sassy
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/0
EVs: 252 HP/24 Def/232 SpD
Ability: Iron Barbs
Held Item: Leftovers
Gyro Ball
Power Whip
Stealth Rock
Leech Seed

This prickly fellow is back with its entry hazard and Leech Seed support, enabling team members with high offense a better chance to finish them off. It made its debut back in the Unova region and now its in the Galar region and it's still awesome to this day. You can see why its popular to many Pokemon Trainers who want to build a strong, all-round team. This Ferrothorn takes the role as a specially-defensive user who also provides a helping hand to the team. No, I'm not talking about the move.

With a Sassy nature and absolutely no Speed IVs at all, Gyro Ball will be at its most effective because the slower the Pokemon, the more damage the move will do, OHKOing Weavile and dealing with Frosmoths and Choice users in its path. Power Whip is to give it more type coverage against the likes of Gastrodon, Rhyperior, Quagsire and Seismitoad. Stealth Rock is to set up entry hazards, giving Charizards, Centiskorchs and Frosmoths a warm welcome and Leech Seed for it to wear down opponents who do not resist Leech Seed, letting it recover more HP then usual thanks to the combination of Leftovers.

But with the Grass and Steel typing, it stands no chance against Fire and Fighting types such as Arcanine, opposing Rotom-H and even Pokemon who learn moves of those types. Once I see the danger, I back it up to call in a team member who can take them on. It's another Pokemon who is also susceptible to Taunt and Choice users. I know it's perfect as a wall, but if there are those who have potential to tear down walls then that's a big problem for Ferrothorn. We're now in a time where Trainers are becoming more aware of this Pokemon and getting prepared to face it head on.

1577793071608.png

Obstagoon
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe
Ability: Guts
Held Item: Flame Orb
Knock Off
Facade
Fire Punch
Obstruct

I've had the same scenario I was in when I was constructing my first OU Sword team on here. I was having trouble finding what my last team member who helps Sirfetch'd's typing would be. So I thought hard and carefully. Them I've set my eyes on Obstagoon, twice the evolved form of Zigzagoon. The Guts ability combined with Flame Orb makes it deadly in the battlefield thanks to STAB Facade. Once its burned, Will-O-Wispers, beware! Also, why does Obstagoon remind me of that creepy badger from Woody Woodpecker?

Knock Off and Facade are both perfect STAB moves for this brute. However, Facade shall have more power when the user's burned because Guts powers it up to eleven! I don't think even Aegislash can withstand a Knock Off from this Pokemon if it doesn't use King's Shield. Fire Punch is around to give it more type coverage against Steel and Grass types such as opposing Ferrothorn. Finally, its signature move, Obstruct protects itself for one turn for the Flame Orb to take effect. Plus when protected by a physical attack, the opponent's defense gets lowered, making Obstagoon go in for a clean sweep. A very good move if I say so myself.

Even though it's menacing such as Dracovish, it's double weak to Fighting-type moves and has trouble against bugs and fairies. Machamp, Hawlucha, Cinderace with High Jump Kick, Crustle, Araquanid and Golisopod can all bring Obstagoon to its knees and since the burn causes slight damage to the holder every turn, Pokemon that can stall with Protect can wear it down until its had enough. The thing about Obstagoon is it has to attack and KO Pokemon as much as possible, leaving opposing teams in a damaged state. Every hit MUST count once Flame Orb goes off.

And that's my team so far. In my opinion, it looks pretty strong but I think there are still some changes to be made since Fairy-types are a danger to it and Unburden Hawlucha is the main threat to watch out for after a Swords Dance and a Power Herb.

Do you think my Pokemon team has potential when it's fully-improved or do you think it's better off without Sirfetch'd? Even so, I'm looking forward to what you think of the team and what changes I must make.

Here's the paste bin shown in the link below if you want to give it a whirl yourself:
https://pastebin.com/Zq0BB61F

Have a nice day and stay fresh out there! ;)

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey,
Sirfetch'd is definitely a fun Pokemon. Kinda wish it was Flying/Fighting, but thats neither here nor there. Anyway, however, I think your :SirfetchSirfetch'd set is a little sub-optimal. I would consider swapping Swords Dance with First Impression. I'm curious as to how much success you've seen with Swords Dance. With its minimal speed investment and lack of recovery, I'm not sure Sirfetch'd makes the best Swords Dance user, since its easily revenged killed by things like Dragapult, Hydreigon, Dracovish, Clefable and Grimmsnarl. When I think of Sirfetch'd I think of a nuke. First Impression turns Sirfetch'd into a capable revenge killer itself due to its priority and power. Secondly, I would consider swapping the Leek with Choice Band. Leek certainly sounds like a lot of fun, but CB is more consistant and more powerful. Notably, it turns First Impression into an OHKO against Hydreigon. Note, though, if you use First Impression while having the Choice Band, you'll be locked in, so you have to be careful not to put yourself in a comprising situation. That said, with Scrappy, Choice Band Close Combat becomes very safe.

Lastly, I would move the EVs from HP to Speed. This will let you outspeed and KO (with CB) Modest Clefable with Poison Jab, while outspeeding Adamant Tyranitar as well.

One big weakness that stands out to me about your team is LO Clefable. All Weezing-G can do is hope to confuse with Strange Steam. Many Clefables are running Psychic now, too, which further hurts your match-up against it. Rotom-Heat is your only reliable switch in, though its prone to being worn down due to its SR weakness. With that in mind, I would consider swapping :Obstagoon:Obstagoon with :Bisharp:Bisharp. Bisharp can't reliably switch-in to Clef's Moonblast, but serves as a capable check to it while fulfilling a similar role to Obstagoon. Bisharp can also help check Dragapult and Aegislash, two other Pokemon that your team doesn't love to face.

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Throat Chop
- Sucker Punch

Hope this helps!

Hey,
Sirfetch'd is definitely a fun Pokemon. Kinda wish it was Flying/Fighting, but thats neither here nor there. Anyway, however, I think your :SirfetchSirfetch'd set is a little sub-optimal. I would consider swapping Swords Dance with First Impression. I'm curious as to how much success you've seen with Swords Dance. With its minimal speed investment and lack of recovery, I'm not sure Sirfetch'd makes the best Swords Dance user, since its easily revenged killed by things like Dragapult, Hydreigon, Dracovish, Clefable and Grimmsnarl. When I think of Sirfetch'd I think of a nuke. First Impression turns Sirfetch'd into a capable revenge killer itself due to its priority and power. Secondly, I would consider swapping the Leek with Choice Band. Leek certainly sounds like a lot of fun, but CB is more consistant and more powerful. Notably, it turns First Impression into an OHKO against Hydreigon. Note, though, if you use First Impression while having the Choice Band, you'll be locked in, so you have to be careful not to put yourself in a comprising situation. That said, with Scrappy, Choice Band Close Combat becomes very safe.

Lastly, I would move the EVs from HP to Speed. This will let you outspeed and KO (with CB) Modest Clefable with Poison Jab, while outspeeding Adamant Tyranitar as well.

One big weakness that stands out to me about your team is LO Clefable. All Weezing-G can do is hope to confuse with Strange Steam. Many Clefables are running Psychic now, too, which further hurts your match-up against it. Rotom-Heat is your only reliable switch in, though its prone to being worn down due to its SR weakness. With that in mind, I would consider swapping :Obstagoon:Obstagoon with :Bisharp:Bisharp. Bisharp can't reliably switch-in to Clef's Moonblast, but serves as a capable check to it while fulfilling a similar role to Obstagoon. Bisharp can also help check Dragapult and Aegislash, two other Pokemon that your team doesn't love to face.

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Throat Chop
- Sucker Punch

Hope this helps!
Thank you for the feedback. I'll give these changes a go and see how I feel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)