Pokémon Scolipede

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're just trying to Baton Pass to something else, you don't want to run Jolly or Adamant. Try Careful nature, it can really take a hit, especially if you're passing Iron Defense instead of Swords Dance. With such a spread, opposing Genesect gets an Attack boost instead of Special Attack, and only does ~65% with Flamethrower. That gives you the opportunity to Protect twice, plus get in whatever else you're boosting.

He's not trying to pass. He doesn't have Baton Pass in his move set

I tried SD non passing Scolipede. I think Rock Slide instead of Protect would be good. It gives you an option for stuff like Charizard and Gyarados (that don't evolve right away). EQ/Megahorn is resisted by Flying so Rock Slide just gives you that extra option. Self sweeping Scolipedes are pretty interesting, but its performance has been kinda underwhelming for me.

He's not trying to pass. He doesn't have Baton Pass in his move set

I tried SD non passing Scolipede. I think Rock Slide instead of Protect would be good. It gives you an option for stuff like Charizard and Gyarados (that don't evolve right away). EQ/Megahorn is resisted by Flying so Rock Slide just gives you that extra option. Self sweeping Scolipedes are pretty interesting, but its performance has been kinda underwhelming for me.
I LOVE SD offensive non-passing Scolipede. I run SD / Megahorn / EQ / Rock Slide and it works great. With a Sash and being a Lead, it just destroys a large portion of the metagame. I have 6-0'd teams with my Lead. Talonflame leads get owned when it does a priority BB and you respond with a Rock Slide, and get a +1 speed boost at the end of it. It's just really underrated, but it does do its role, and it does it well. Poison Jab and X-Scissor could be used, but their coverage isn't that great and doesn't take out threats to your team like EarthSlide does.

I've been running Scolipede for a few weeks now, and people are caught off guard when they realise that i'm not there to pass anything.

EDIT: Forgot to add that Rock Slide OHKOs Talonflame ALWAYS, unless they run Bulk Up and they use it on the first turn, which they never usually would, but instead try to OHKO you.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Scolipede is an incredibly good sweeper. It's fast, powerful, and provides excellent team support with Baton Pass. I've been running this:

Scolipede @ Life Orb
Speed Boost
Adamant
64 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpDef / 188 Spe

Swords Dance
Megahorn
Earthquake
Baton Pass

188 Speed hits 307, for Lucario. Kinda arbitrary, but you never know. I put the rest in HP, but got an even number so I put 4 in Special Defense for Genesect's Download. I'm not really sure how much Speed to run, TBH.

The key to using Scolipede well is to pair it with a mon that covers its weaknesses and patches the holes in its coverage. Tyranitar, for example. When Scolipede runs into something it can't KO, Pass out to Tyranitar.

A minor nitpick but, Scolipede's sp def is way lower than its defense, a simple 4 ev investment wont change the boost genesect is gaining. If you really want to you need to give it 164 evs in sp def but thats not worth it.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
A minor nitpick but, Scolipede's sp def is way lower than its defense, a simple 4 ev investment wont change the boost genesect is gaining. If you really want to you need to give it 164 evs in sp def but thats not worth it.
Heh, right. Not thinking properly.

Can we talk about counters for a sec? A Scolipede with Protect and Baton Pass is very hard to shove out without him doing his job, even moreso if he runs Substitute instead of Protect. Sableye, Talonflame, and Skarm are all listed as counters in the OP, can anyone think of any others?

Can we talk about counters for a sec? A Scolipede with Protect and Baton Pass is very hard to shove out without him doing his job, even moreso if he runs Substitute instead of Protect. Sableye, Talonflame, and Skarm are all listed as counters in the OP, can anyone think of any others?
I guess anything really at a slightly higher speed and scarfed would do (to beat it at +1), even then you get people who risk it for a biscuit and try another Protect. Starmie does the trick:

252 SpA Starmie Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Scolipede: 332-392 (102.4 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As does Cinccino - it's surprising how little there is actually.

Depends on the set I guess. I dunno how good he is in OU nowadays but Tornadus has Prankster Taunt and STAB Air Slash to OHKO him. He would need to be wary of Rock Slide, but Scolipede doesn't regularly have it on his support sets.

My personal favorite. The aggressive BP set. The key is to switch into a fairly slow physical Pokemon.

Scolipede @ Black Sludge
Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Iron Defense
Swords Dance
Megahorn
Baton Pass

That's right no protect. Switch into the likes of Tyranitar and use Iron Defense first. Then use either Iron Defense or Swords Dance to set up the right amount and use Megahorn to bring down the couple of Pokemon you can. Than you can Baton Pass to any physical sweeper and happy sweep.

My personal favorite. The aggressive BP set. The key is to switch into a fairly slow physical Pokemon.

Scolipede @ Black Sludge
Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Iron Defense
Swords Dance
Megahorn
Baton Pass

That's right no protect. Switch into the likes of Tyranitar and use Iron Defense first. Then use either Iron Defense or Swords Dance to set up the right amount and use Megahorn to bring down the couple of Pokemon you can. Than you can Baton Pass to any physical sweeper and happy sweep.
Hmmm I feel like if you switch in to Tyranitar you wouldn't necessarily need all that speed. Do you have the full speed investment to switch in to other attack pokemon with speed?
Either way I do like the move set on this. It might throw some people for a loop if you don't start out with protect.

Hmmm I feel like if you switch in to Tyranitar you wouldn't necessarily need all that speed. Do you have the full speed investment to switch in to other attack pokemon with speed?
Either way I do like the move set on this. It might throw some people for a loop if you don't start out with protect.
Well of course you're faster then Tyranitar, but if you run against faster physical Pokemon the extra speed might help. You want to use Iron Defense as fast as possible as his Defense isn't outstanding.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-109239410

Hands down my favourite Pokemon to use these days, causes so many rage quits. Hits really hard after a Sword Dance and people almost always expect it to be a baton passer only to get 1hko by its attacks.

The only downside that while it hits hard, its moves are not accurate and missing a rock slide or a megahorn can turn the tables around.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-109242724

MVP of my team. G.O.A.T. As wrong as it sounds, in a team with Greninja, Goodra and Charizard X, the most important and threatening offensive threat is my Scoli. Fucking love it.

Last edited:
Scolipede (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Defense
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass

This is what I run. It outspeeds all positive natured 102 and below before Speed Boost, and outspeeds the typical Deoxys-S or Scarfed base 102 after 1 Speed Boost (lets you Iron Defense in Garchomp's face, or Megahorn at +1 Speed to Deoxys-S). I don't run it as a lead (that's handled by Deoxys-D). It switches into things (such as Lando-T, Bisharp, Mawile, Excadrill) that won't have surprise big special attacks, and uses Iron Defense. If it can survive another hit, then Swords Dance too, then pass it to Virizion, Mixed Aegislash, Mixed Thundurus-I, or Mega-Blastoise.

Deoxys-Defense @ Red Card
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 Spd
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Virizion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge
- Roar

Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Defense
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Grass Knot

Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Defense
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Defense
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass

[/hide]
maybe use protect of iron defense to safely build speed

Just sayin', +252 LO Scoli's Megahorn always OHKOs most common Deoxys-D set(252 hp) and outspeeds it. A very good counter to the most common HO lead.

Now that baton pass teams have been nerfed, it's hard to justify using scolipede outside of offensive pass. However, when trying some stuff with my alt gimmac1275 (I am a man of some dry puns), I noticed just how threatening scolipede's sweeping set really is. Paired with some scarf ttar support, scolipede can wreck unprepared teams.

Scolipede @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Poison Jab

I've been using this set and have been coming in on pokemon like heatran and basically anything I think I can OHKO and speed boost does the rest. After a swords dance, no revenge killer really stands a chance outside of tflame which can certainly be handled earlier in a game. Mawille and bisharp cause it problems, but it costs them their lives more often than not. It's not amazing by any stretch, but with minimal support it can wreck offensive teams and is a really great late game cleaner that few can match.

Now that baton pass teams have been nerfed, it's hard to justify using scolipede outside of offensive pass.
Not at all my good friend, not at all. While LO cleaner scolipede is 100% viable, Iron Defense Scolipede is still just as dangerous as before when given even a single free turn. I have been running mono-BP since even before the nerf and have only benefited from the recent changes. Here is a very good replay showing just how powerful scolipede can be given a free swap in.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-141292583

Here we have Gengar vs Latios. I win the speed tie and get a light screen up (at least I think it was a speed tie), allowing me to tank the shadow ball easily. I then set up reflect as he subbed. Taking advantage of the light screen, I swap in scolipede, who takes the shadow ball easily. Iron defense and passed to espeon, knowing I needed that light screen to beat gengar. I should've attacked there, but I decided to try to setup. A CM war ensues, but due to a lack of crit, espeon eventually won. Yes, espeon managed to beat stallbreaker gengar with a sub up, despite my earlier misplay. I then go on to kill chomp and got RKed by talonflame. I sent in scarfed terrak to threaten talonflame back out and lure in scizor. After a few turns of goofing off, I convinced his mega scizor to take the bait and kill terrakion, giving my latios a free swap in and duel screens. He tries to setup, but memento allowed latios to get scolipede in on a +0 megazor, who is total setup bait. I get +6 defense and subs and passed to zard-x, the forfeit came shortly after.

His only misplay was a perfectly reasonable prediction with megazor, yet scolipede and latios were able to come in multiple times and setup very dangerous sweepers who bypassed their usual checks. I made a much more serious misplay when I didn't kill gengar immediately with espeon and allowed my screens to wear off.

ID Scolipede is still and always will be a threat as long as he's legal, mark my words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)