RMT: OU "The Curse"

The title is a bit random, but it is a song(Caustic Christ) and it vaguely represents how some UU pokemon are not even considered when some people make OU teams. They are eternally cursed, pretty much guaranteeing obscurity, except in their respective tier.

Well I was thinking one day, I am going to get away from all of the theorymon, and make a team with Torterra. You would be surprised how many threats he can take on, and he actually hits Tyranitar on his lower defense, unlike other grass types. Onto the team:

Overview:

At a glance sprites thanks to pokedox.com
Large sprites thanks to arkeis.com

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
EV: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Stealth Rock
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Dragon Pulse / Taunt

Heatran is a difficult lead to take down, outpacing the supposed "#1" lead Metagross, and 2HKOing with Fire Blast, OHKOing variants without Occa Berry, and surviving Scarf Gross's Earthquake to OHKO back. Other common leads such as Bronzong or Azelf eat a Fire Blast as well. The former can only put me to sleep to really threaten me, while the latter can only set up Stealth Rocks. One of the biggest problems this has a lead is Aerodactyl, but fortunately, I have Torterra to 2HKO with Wood Hammer. In general setting up Stealth Rock is priority, but against leads such as Bronzong I typically just Fire Blast immediately.

Early-Mid game Heatran can serve as Trick fodder as he has excellent coverage. Late game when Scizor shows its ugly face this can come in and destroy it, however since this is a lead they will most likely try and take it out ASAP. He can also stop ScarfTran sweeps before they ever escalate.

One dilemma I have is whether to use Dragon Pulse or Taunt. Dragon Pulse is nice, rounding out the coverage and hitting Salamence and Latias for decent damage. However, Blissey gives this team some problems, notably Obi Blissey, who can Flamethrower my Lucario on the switch and then it gets into prediction of whether I should SD or not, and I would rather just prevent that as everyone moves differently. Any ideas?

Torterra @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
EV: 212 HP / 252 Def / 44 Spe
-Wood Hammer
-Earthquake
-Leech Seed
-Protect

Torterra is often overlooked for more "equipped" physical walls, you know, the ones with instant recovery moves and no 4x ice weaknesses(Skarm + Hippo). Well Torterra has access to one of the best support moves in the game, Leech Seed. This makes switches to flying types to wall my efforts rather futile, as Stealth Rock + 2 turns of Leech Seed = 50% of their health zapped away. Once Stealth Rock is set up, this can even stall out threats such as defensive Zapdos due to Leech Seed, as Heat Wave doesn't 2HKO, thanks to Protect. Unlike Celebi, Torterra can easily stop Tyranitar, even those DDers who think they are clever with the steel resist berries and Fire Punch.

Torterra isn't all about Leech Seeding shit, it is actually a fantastic physical tank, who's weaknesses aren't all that bad with the stats to back it up. To give you an idea about its physical bulk, here are some damage calculations of what it takes from common physical attackers:

+1 405 Atk LO Salamence's Outrage: 78.39%-92.19% (Never a OHKO)
+1 383 Atk Gyarados's Ice Fang: 83.59%-98.17% (Never a OHKO, Protect after switching into Stealth Rock)
+1 383 Atk Gyarados's Waterfall: 38.28%-45.05% (3HKO, but with Leech Seed Gyarados will fall first)
394 Atk CB Scizor's U-Turn: 69.27%-81.51% (Never a OHKO)
405 Atk Metagross's Ice Punch: 68.49%-80.47% (Never a OHKO)

As you can see, Torterra can take even boosted super effective attacks. You may be thinking that Gyarados could have Life Orb, which would easily OHKO. However, I would only switch in Torterra if my Gyarados is dead and when he takes Stealth Rock damage I see no Lefties recovery. Also, these are all pretty much worse case scenario, if my Gyarados is dead or weakened into OHKO range. Torterra allows me to handle all of these pokemon, and more, including SubCM Jirachi, Zapdos, Lucario, Tyranitar, the list goes on.

One problem I have noticed is this gives annoying grass types like Celebi and Breloom practically free switchins, allowing them to cripple my team with Thunder Wave and Spore, respectively. There is really no way that Torterra can stop them, but the rest of the team can work around them.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EV: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
-U-Turn
-Bullet Punch
-Pursuit
-Superpower

Scizor is one of the most threatening CBers around, and I don't think I will be replacing this with the SDer any time soon. He pairs up very nicely with SD Lucario, as CB U-Turn + Stealth Rock lowers their counters into KO range for Lucario. Scizor is also a great revenge killer for Outraging Salamences as well as DD Gyarados, as strange as that may sound. I often get in plenty of damage on Gyarados before he kills Torterra, due to Wood Hammer + Leech Seed + Life Orb + Stealth Rock, and without Scizor I wouldn't be able to finish it. Granted, Scizor must die so Lucario can finally finish it with Extremespeed but it is often worth it.

Scizor can also easily revenge kill Gengars, and switch into the ones w/out Life Orb too. This is useful late game because I don't want Focus Blast ending my Lucario's sweep.

The EVs allow me to outspeed certain Tyranitars if they somehow get past Torterra(Ice Beam), which is extremely helpful as I don't want to leave myself at risk of Magnezone.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpA)
EV: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
-Taunt
-Waterfall
-Roar
-Thunder Wave

This Gyarados is purely utility, and it patches up some holes on my team. I have had a lot of people sigh when they figure out the entire set, and once it has finally fainted they are quite relieved, just to show you the annoyance this can cause. Taunt is absolutely necessary for this team, preventing Celebi from Thunder Waving everyone(except Torterra, who can't touch it), and I don't really mind if Gyarados eats a Thunder Wave if it means my Lucario gets what is practically a free switchin. Thunder Wave is for crippling certain threats such as Lucario, Scizor, Salamence, and opposing Gyarados who would otherwise ruin my team. Waterfall + Thunder Wave forms a paraflinch combo which is delightful, while Roar is there to get rid of Baton Passers who are threatened by Gyara(Gliscor), and rack up some Stealth Rock damage on Salamence's.

The EV spread and nature are quite different, but they have been working well so far. A Careful nature gives him a lot of points in SpD, while the defense EVs put his defense on par with his SpD. Combined with Intimidate, I rarely found a need for an Impish nature and I would rather be able to take random HP Electrics. Overall just another nuisance my opponent has to deal with before meeting Luke.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
EV: 248 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe
-Heal Bell
-Roost
-Dragon Pulse
-Thunder Wave / Toxic

Well this used to be a Kingdra until I was swept by a Timid Rotom-H, since it just Overheated my poor Torterra and Lucario to death. He fills up some holes, like taking on Heatran more reliably than Gyarados, as well as beating most Zapdos provided they don't have HP Ice. Heal Bell is essential on this team, as Celebi and Breloom can cripple my pokemon all day by switching into Torterra and Gyarados. The worst is when Rotom-A burns my Lucario, or even my Scizor if I try to Pursuit it.

The set is fairly self explanatory. Dragonite is my special tank, and he also spreads paralysis around where he can. Dragon Pulse was chosen so I don't have to sit there Heal Belling against Rotom-A to keep my attack score high enough for me to KO even with a crit. Toxic is an option for Gliscor, who walls my Lucario straight up. Overall, a great team player, but I am thinking about replacing it with a Blissey, who can also pass Wishes to my otherwise vulnerable Gyarados.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EV: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-Extremespeed
-Crunch

This is the guy that cleans up mid-late game, once faster threats have either been worn down by Stealth Rock or paralyzed. I find Adamant necessary for breaking walls such as Skarmory, Celebi, and Hippowdon, however I may consider Jolly as I really, really loathe being stopped by a domestic appliance. I actually rarely find myself using Swords Dance, as in the late game most things are weakened enough by Leech Seed + Stealth Rock that they are near death.

The EVs are standard, but lately I have been thinking about Ice Punch + Jolly over Crunch and Adamant, respectively. Lately I have just been seeing a lot of Gliscors for some reason, and the only thing that truly threatens it is Gyarados, who can't do shit without DD. Typically I just send in Torterra, seed it, then send in Dragonite and hope for a crit, but I just don't see that happening. I guess Toxic > Thunder Wave on Dragonite could work?

Threat List:

Aerodactyl: Torterra 100% counter the leads, while Scizor can revenge kill

Alakazam: Dragonite can take most special attacks, while Scizor can revenge if its not stuck on HP Fire

Azelf: Heatran handles leads, Dragonite shuts down Nasty Plotters, Scizor + Lucario can revenge kill

Blissey: Gyarados Taunts it, to prevent status, then Lucario comes in to Close Combat. Scizor can OHKO with Superpower

Breloom: Yuck, typically Gyarados comes in to take the Spore and lower its attack, then Scizor comes in to disrupt any SubSeed actions with U-Turn

Bronzong: Heatran handles most leads, Gyarados can Taunt it to prevent Rocks getting up/Hypnosis, Scizor isn't really hurt by anything and can 2HKO with U-Turn

Celebi: Gyarados has to Taunt, then Lucario can come in and set up on Earth Power/HP Fire less variants, Heatran can come in after a Taunt, same with Scizor unless they have HP Fire.

Cresselia: Gyarados can Taunt it, taking very little from Charge Beam. Then Heatran, Scizor, or Lucario can come in and dent it/set up.

Donphan: Gyarados wrecks this, so does Torterra, being 3HKOed by Ice Shard without the aid of Leech Seed.

Dragonite: Gyarados can cripple it, although I have seen quite a lot with Safeguard, in which case Lucario + Scizor works.

Dugtrio: Scizor OHKOs with Pursuit, other than that it is a revenge killer, not much to do with it.

Dusknoir: Gyarados has to Taunt this ASAP, then switch to Lucario. If Heatran is still alive he can handle pretty much any variant except SubPunch, which don't run a status attack so Gyarados can beat it.

Electivire: Heatran survives Earthquake if he still has Shuca, otherwise I send in Gyarados to lower its attack, switch to Torterra to absorb the Thunderbolt/ThunderPunch, then finish it with EQ. Special based mixed variants are a bit more difficult, but my only electric attacks are status attacks, which nobody will suspect due to their sheer power.

Empoleon: Rarely gets set up TBH. Torterra takes on variants w/out Ice Beam, while Gyarados can Phaze out the ones w/out Grass Knot. They should never get a Sub + Agility off because of Gyarados, but if they get into the Torrent zone Lucario + Scizor can finish it, despite Empoleon resisting their priorities.

Flygon: I typically send in one of my 5 bug resists that I have already showed my opponent to absorb the U-Turn, then late game I can send in Torterra or Gyarados, possibly one of my three steels if its locked into Outrage.

Forretress. Very, very annoying but rarely seen. Spins away my Leech Seeds, but without Earthquake Heatran and Lucario easily switchin. Gyarados can Taunt it to prevent Spikes from being laid.

Gengar: Dragonite handles it well enough, and Scarf variants get wrecked by Scizor's Pursuit.

Gliscor: Another bad matchup. Gyarados is my best matchup, although Dragonite will work if they don't Taunt and I decide on Toxic. Other than that, I must rely on Heatran, who likely had his Shuca eaten earlier in the match.

Gyarados: My own Gyarados handles it with Thunder Wave + Roar, while Torterra can OHKO Leftovers variants if they decide to use Ice Fang, due to the Overgrow boost. Scizor + Lucario can typically revenge kill it after all of the residual damage.

Heatran: Dragonite can come in and tank its hits, or Gyarados can do the same. Both of these are susceptible to 4x Hidden Powers and Toxic however, so hopefully Lucario can just get in for free.

Heracross: Gyarados walls it straight up, and paralysis is hated, even if it has Guts. Torterra can also come in on Scarfed Close Combats/Stone Edges and Seed it.

Hippowdon: I don't know of better switchins than Gyarados and Torterra.

Infernape: Dragonite is pretty reliable if it stays away from HP Ice, but Gyarados is typically my go-to guy. Scizor + Lucario can revenge.

Jirachi: Torterra handles any SubCM variants, and Heatran handles physical.

Jolteon: Choice Specs is common, often opting for HP Grass > Ice, meaning Torterra can handle it.

Kingdra: Gyarados can cripple it with Thunder Wave, and Roar away any Subbing variants.

Latias: Has to be played around, but Scizor can OHKO with U-Turn. Variants with HP Fire > Thunderbolt get Phazed away by Gyarados.

Lucario: Gyarados can take even a +1 Stone Edge, paralyze, then flinch hax with Waterfall and let my own Lucario, Torterra, or Heatran finish it.

Machamp: Gyarados takes very little damage, then Phazes away the Subs that Anti-Lead Machamps set up.

Magnezone: Dragonite if they have Thunderbolt/HP Fire, otherwise Lucario can kill them, and if they are choiced prediction works too.

Mamoswine: Heatran typically faces the leads, and it beats Adamant ones unless they have godly prediction and use Endeavor turn 1. Otherwise Gyarados is a great switchin. Torterra soaks up CB EQs, while Scizor, Heatran, or Lucario take the ice attacks.

Metagross: Heatran beats the leads, but Torterra, Scizor, or Gyarados function decently against others, depending on their moveset.

Ninjask: Set up Stealth Rock, then go straight to Gyarados to phaze them away.

Porygon-Z: Typically I have to revenge kill it with Scizor or Lucario, but Dragonite can take Scarfed variant's Tri Attacks easily.

Rhyperior: Send in Gyarados to lower its attack, then send in Torterra and wreck him. Scizor can typically 3HKO with Bullet Punch too.

Salamence: Usually Gyarados comes out first, paralyzing DDers then phazing them away. If they are mixed then Stealth Rock will force them to stay in, allowing Scizor + Lucario to revenge it.

Scizor: Gyarados is the best, but early game most of them U-Turn, so to avoid Stealth Rock damage I send in my own or my Lucario. This is risky due to Superpower but it works.

Skarmory: Gyarados Taunts it, then Heatran or Lucario wreck it.

Snorlax: Gyarados can take on Cursers because of Taunt + Roar, while CBers are dealt with by prediction.

Starmie: Team's 2nd biggest enemy. Thunderbolt + Ice Beam + Surf scores SE hits on all but Lucario and Scizor, so typically I have to Pursuit it before it ruins my plans.

Suicune: Without HP Electric, Gyarados sends it away with Roar. If they have Roar, I can paralyze it then dent it with whoever comes in. LOCune
is devastating, but it isn't very bulky so Lucario + Scizor can typically revenge kill it once the LO damage has built up.

Swampert: Hello Torterra! Unless it has Ice Punch, Torterra will beat it. MixPert w/Ice Beam is too slow to prevent me from OHKOing with Wood Hammer, while Avalanchers will go last.

Tentacruel: Torterra soaks up its Surfs, while Dragonite gets rid of any poison it has inflicted through Toxic Spikes.

Togekiss: Dragonite is a great counter, and poison/paralysis are its two least favorite statuses.

Tyranitar: Torterra handles all but Boah, which typically doesn't run Thunderbolt and thus Gyarados beats it.

Vaporeon: Torterra heals a lot from Leech Seed due to its high HP, and without Ice Beam it won't kill me. If it does have Ice Beam, then Gyarados can beat the ones w/out HP Electric. If they have all three moves, they don't have Protect, meaning it is that much easier to kill.

Weavile: Heatran, Lucario, Scizor, and Gyarados can easily absorb its attacks.

Yanmega: Gyarados typically takes the sleep, then Dragonite comes in to wall those w/out HP Ice. He can Heal Bell to wake Gyara up after Yanmega has fainted. Scizor + Lucario can revenge kill.

Zapdos: Dragonite or Torterra can handle them, depending on whether they are offensive or defensive, respectively. Variants with HP Ice are difficult to beat but Heatran can blast 'em.

I see a massive DDLO Gyara weakness here, as one with Waterfall, Ice Fang, Stone Edge rips through your team easily without second thought. I really can't think of a counter that would fit into your team right now, so you should try and find one.

Well in DP and even more so in Platinum, worrying about counters isn't really necessary. Between Stealth Rock, Life Orb, and the priority attacks I have on this team Gyarados won't have many opportunities to set up. My own Gyarados is a fairly effective check, lowering is attack by own stage, allowing me to use U-Turn on Scizor, then send in Lucario to finish it with Extremespeed. I would also like to know when this Gyarados will be switching in? Really the only pokemon not capable of denting him with little risk is Lucario, who is saved for late game. Their best opportunity is sending him in before rocks are set up, sacrificing their own rocks, thus allowing my own Gyarados to survive Stone Edge.

Even the NVE hits take their toll once Stealth Rock is set up. Heatran 2HKOs with Fire Blast, and outspeeds Adamant variants before a DD(when they switchin). Torterra mainly spams Leech Seed, so there is atleast 50% of its health gone right there, and Wood Hammer after Leech Seed will put in KO range for Lucario, assuming Torterra was Intimidated. Scizor spams U-Turn early-mid game, and that is a 2HKO. My own Gyarados can survive a +0 Stone Edge and cripple it for the rest of the match with Thunder Wave. If they switch into anything except Waterfall they will be crippled/switched out. Dragonite's Dragon Pulse still does decent damage, and he is in the same boat as Gyarados, except he is killed by Ice Fang without a boost. Even Lucario will be doing plenty of damage from a -1 Close Combat to put enough pressure on that prevents setup.

I understand there are certain threats that I don't have a 100% counter for, but it is much easier to just stress your own teams goal, and this team loves spreading around paralysis, and the ones that don't, do plenty to Gyarados anyways.

EDIT: If I sounded a bit rude, sorry, I was just trying to point out that I have met plenty of DD Gyarados and none have caused enough stress to add a true counter.

Well in DP and even more so in Platinum, worrying about counters isn't really necessary. Between Stealth Rock, Life Orb, and the priority attacks I have on this team Gyarados won't have many opportunities to set up. My own Gyarados is a fairly effective check, lowering is attack by own stage, allowing me to use U-Turn on Scizor, then send in Lucario to finish it with Extremespeed. I would also like to know when this Gyarados will be switching in? Really the only pokemon not capable of denting him with little risk is Lucario, who is saved for late game. Their best opportunity is sending him in before rocks are set up, sacrificing their own rocks, thus allowing my own Gyarados to survive Stone Edge.

Even the NVE hits take their toll once Stealth Rock is set up. Heatran 2HKOs with Fire Blast, and outspeeds Adamant variants before a DD(when they switchin). Torterra mainly spams Leech Seed, so there is atleast 50% of its health gone right there, and Wood Hammer after Leech Seed will put in KO range for Lucario, assuming Torterra was Intimidated. Scizor spams U-Turn early-mid game, and that is a 2HKO. My own Gyarados can survive a +0 Stone Edge and cripple it for the rest of the match with Thunder Wave. If they switch into anything except Waterfall they will be crippled/switched out. Dragonite's Dragon Pulse still does decent damage, and he is in the same boat as Gyarados, except he is killed by Ice Fang without a boost. Even Lucario will be doing plenty of damage from a -1 Close Combat to put enough pressure on that prevents setup.

I understand there are certain threats that I don't have a 100% counter for, but it is much easier to just stress your own teams goal, and this team loves spreading around paralysis, and the ones that don't, do plenty to Gyarados anyways.

EDIT: If I sounded a bit rude, sorry, I was just trying to point out that I have met plenty of DD Gyarados and none have caused enough stress to add a true counter.
Alright, alright.

Mind rating my RMT?

Why Dragon Pulse on Dragonite and not Dragon Claw? Isn't Dnite's Atk substantially higher than its SpAtk?

If you do decide to go with Pulse, I'd suggest either Toxic or even Ice Beam for the last slot--granted, bulky waters are bound to switch in, in which case Ice Beam would be worthless--but if Toxic is soley for Gliscor, then why not do that 75%+ straight away with IB?

That is a good point, I think Ice Beam could be useful, I will have to test it out. I think I see a lot more Rotom-A than Gliscor tho, and that is why Dragon Pulse > Dragon Claw, so I can beat it without constantly alternating betweem being burned and Dragon Clawing. With Dragon Pulse I can just attack and Roost until it dies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)