RMT - Evolution

Hey everyone! Synthetic Frost here, looong time player but new to the forums. I played competitively back in the days of R/B/Y/G/S/C winning several local tournaments, but got out of the game as I got older and went through college. But I always kept playing the games for fun.

However, I've recently found myself in a position with a lot of spare time, so I've been working on reviving my old team. However, needless to say, the metagame in OU has changed pretty significantly, so I needed to give my team a new breath of life, swapping out sub-par pokemon for their current equivalents, while keeping my old favorite staples, and trying to preserve the core goal of my team.

So, here we go:

________

Scizor

Ability: Technician

Nature: Adamant

Item: Leftovers

EVs: 252 Atk /4 SpD / 252 Spe

Bug Bite
Bullet Punch
Superpower
Swords Dance

My Breaker # 1. Pretty standard set, honestly. I realize he's been played to death in the OU metagame over the years, but I had Scyther as part of my main team in Generation 1, and naturally his Gen 2 evolution kept the same spot. He's been a part of my team since day one before I'd ever heard of Smogon, and honestly I'm just thankful Scizor has held up so well all this time. obviously his moveset and the way I've used him have changed dramatically since Gen 1, but this set is so effective there's really not much to improve on at this point.

Hippowdon

Ability: Sandstream

Nature: Impish

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Earthquake
Ice Fang
Stealth Rock
Slack Off

Hippowdon is my physical wall for all the fighting types that fill the OU metagame. He's also able to set up stealth rock pretty early in the game. His sandstream works beautifully to countermine all the Politoad rain teams that dominate OU at the moment. Because he's slower, Sandstorm always kicks up after Drizzle on battle start. He has great synergy with Scizor too.

He actually works fairly well as a back up dragon killer. Since most people use Salamance or physical variants of Dragonite, Hippowdon can switch in, take a couple hits from outrage, and then proceed to break them up.

Starmie

Ability: Natural Cure

Nature: Timid

Item: Expert Belt

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Surf
Ice Beam
Psychic / Thunderbolt
Rapid Spin / Recover

Ah, my old Starmie. Starmie was on my team very early on in R/B/Y, and single handedly won me the tournaments of the time. I noticed his absurd speed and special stats before I'd even finished the game for the first time. Only later on did I find out he was by far the fastest water pokemon. He's been with me ever since.

As of now, he serves as my mid-game special sweeper/rapid spinner. I very frequently change his last two move slots back and forth, depending on if I think I'll be dealing with a lot of entry hazards and/or fighting types.

Starmie is also my dragon killer, though this requires a lot of switch prediction, as he is far too frail to switch in without revenge killing.

Rotom-W

Ability: Levitate

Nature: Calm

EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD

Thunderbolt
Hydro Pump
Will-O-Wisp
Pain Split

Rotom-W is a brand new addition to my team. For the longest time, I used Jolteon. And while I do begrudge having a generally slower team overall without him, Rotom-W and his special defensive girth have made up for it time and time again soaking up attacks aimed at Hippowdon and Infernape. Will-O-Wisp then takes the fight out of anyone that threatens the frailer members of my team. The only real downside, aside from the trade-off in speed, is that my team now has a growing weakness to Grass.

I chose Thunderbolt over Volt Switch because Volt Switch was slowly killing him over time with Sandstorm in play, and it rarely 2HKO'd what it needed to.

Infernape

Ability: Iron Fist

Nature: Naive

Item: Life Orb

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

Overheat
Close Combat
Thunder Punch
Mach Punch

My late-game sweeper and counter to my team's inability to handle steel and dark types. Ever since R/B/Y, I've LOVE the concept of fire types, but never the role they ended up serving. My old Charizard was immune to earthquake, but weak to what seemed like everything else. Infernape doesn't completely solve this problem, but he's got what are in my mind, the perfect stats for what a fire-type pokemon "should" have. He's fast, he's extremely versatile on both the physical and special side, and he's got about the best move pool I've ever seen on a fire pokemon. Plus, I'll admit, I love the Chinese Zodiac/Journey To The West "wise ape" theme he's got going on.

I give him Mach Punch for priority. Thunder Punch helps very much with my team's weakness to flying types late game, as well as stave off any water type that dares to switch in.

Umbreon

Ability: Syncronize

Nature: Careful

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

Payback
Curse
Heal Bell
Wish

My special wall and cleric. Now, I know, I know, Umbreon has no place in OU. I've known that for a long time. But the truth is I just can't find that perfect pokemon for my 6th slot. I realize that Umbreon is outclassed by many others as a special wall, especially with all the new fighting types in Gen 5, and truth be told my team has real weakness to fighting types and strong physical attackers. If something like Lucario gets lucky with a set-up, the moment Hippowdon goes down, I've already lost. So I need a cleric to keep toxic and burns off him. Normally I'm able to predict when it's safe to switch Umbreon in, but that added risk is something I'd like to avoid.

I've tried running without a cleric at all, and the difference was astounding. My team just didn't survive long at all. I NEED a cleric on my team.

I'm very aware my team has a hard time with dealing the Lati Twins and Volcarona, and my weakness to HP Grass doesn't help either. As much as I love Umberon, she's holding my team back. I've tried replacing her with Latias, but Latias was 10x as frail in the sense that she's much more common, and people have counters exclusively for her. Umberon's obscurity has saved her more than once. Few people have active counters for her planned.

As always, any help, suggestions, or criticism is welcome and appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
You did mention you were having trouble with fighting Pokemon, Lucario being one great example. Starmie being your only resist and considering it's extremely frail, you're in desperate need of a solid check. I suggest using Specially Defensive Celebi, instead of Umbreon. It fills the role of a cleric while also providing a grass and fighting check, which you need. The speed EV's are for outspeeding Jolly base 70's, specifically Breloom.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 168 SDef / 108 Spd / 232 HP
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Leaf Storm/Baton Pass
- Heal Bell
- Recover

Wow. How was I so blind that I overlooked Celebi? I just did a half hour of Pokemon Showdown test runs and won every match. Most of which Celebi was the deciding factor in. I'm still tinkering around to see if I like the EV spread or not, but so far it's been a big success. Thank you.

Now to see if I can dig out my old gameboy games and get my old legit Celebi transferred up to my Black 2 cart for wifi matches...

I meant to rate this yesterday but I didn't have the time. Sorry! Thank you so much for actually realizing Infernape is a boss.

On Starmie, I think you should run Life Orb over Expert Belt. EB is used only for Choice bluffing (usually) and Starmie is a rare choice user. Life Orb will be able to give your team that extra kick that could be very useful to kill Pokemon like Tyranitar that gives Celebi problems and turns Starmie into an offensive monster. Also, change Natural Cure to Analytic. You don't need a status absorber now that you have Celebi who also has Heal Bell. Analytic boosts attack if you go second, but you also get the boost if the opponent switches out. With Prediction, you can turn 3HKO's into 2HKO's.

Other than that, I have nothing else to say with Celebi covered. Hope my little bit of advice helped and Good luck. PM me if you have questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)