ORAS PU Rise Up (0.598k)

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor

A PU RMT by ManOfMany

Introduction

Hello. As any of those who know me I play PU. I am also a perfectionist. While it might seem like I build way too many teams, I actually just use the same core of 3 or 4 pokemon I like and keep changing around the others until I find the best fits. This team is the product of that. I've been experimenting around with a build similar to this one for a while, and I finally came across one that I happened to love. So now I'm sharing it with you.

also this song is actually amazing, Beyonce sucks though

~~~

Teambuilding Process

Machoke is the most disgusting thing in the world so I wanted to build around Gourgeist-Super. Weird to build around a boring defensive pokemon but that was my thought process at the time

Stunfisk is a good partner to Gourgeist. It counters pokemon like Monferno and Dodrio that Gourgeist fails to wall, and also sets up rocks which is cool. Additionally I wanted something to block Volt Switch so I wouldn't have to address that later. Golem was also an option for normal resist but I liked Stunfisk's ability to check Monferno and spread paralysis here.

Since I already had a Stealth Rock setter, I wanted a hazard remover too. Swanna, Cryogonal, and Vullaby all fit here but I chose Swanna because it's the least passive, since Gourgeist and Stunfisk are already super passive.
I noticed I was very weak to Rotom-F and other special attackers like Mime and Floatzel so I wanted something to eat up all those hits. I originally put AV Beheeyem just like another team I had that I put in sample teams since it can both take hits and dish them out.

However, Beheeyem getting worn down was a huge problem, so I changed it to the much more reliable Clefairy, which also had the benefit of absorbing status.

I wanted a fast offensive pokemon that could check the likes of Rotom-F and Articuno, and Rapidash fit well here. It is able to Wisp a lot of its counters, and slowly wear them down over the course of the game with my defensive core to back it up.

Mawile was chosen as a pokemon who could cover most of the holes in the team. It was a strong wallbreaker, which the team desperately lacked, it was a normal resist since I was weak to normals, it provided me a priority, and it checked psychic and ice types.

~~~

Analysis

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Seed Bomb/Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis
Gourgeist-Super is just an amazing pokemon. I put it on the team originally to totally block Dynamic Punch Machoke, but it also does so much else for the team. It beats Leafeon, Sawsbuck, Stoutland (if full health), Bouffalant, and just generally tanks hits you would think it has no business taking. I usually play very safely with Gourgeist since it is so important at preventing a lot of physical attackers from just overwhelming me. I slashed Seed Bomb and Leech Seed because Leech Seed is great chip damage for bulky teams like mine, but Seed Bomb prevents me from losing to Floatzel and Simipour, who are always threats. Unfortunately Gourgeist does give a free switch in to a lot of threats who don't mind Foul Play or Status, such as Monferno and Altaria. That's why it was essential for me to have a strong specially defensive backbone to support it.​

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
Clefairy is on the special defense side to what Gourgeist is on the physical defense side. Clefairy prevents my team from getting whacked by Life Orb/Subwisp Rotom-F, Mr.Mime, special Floatzel, and many other dangerous special attackers. Thunder Wave and Knock Off were no-brainers, being the best moves in the game- Knock Off was chosen over CM here because I would have no Knock Off user otherwise, and it's really useful for luring the likes of Roselia and Metang. I play safely with Clefairy as well, as often it is needed to be at full health to stop some special sweeper in its tracks with Thunder-Wave.

Other Options: Audino is a decent replacement if I want to be able to scout with Regen and not be weak to Knock Off. However it doesn't check Swanna nearly as well, which was a big concern for me. Beheeyem and Grumpig were also good replacements if I replace Swanna with Lumineon, but otherwise I won't have a strong enough water-type check.​

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
Although often overlooked these days, Stunfisk is still a very good pokemon. It's soooo fat and it spreads paras extremely easily, which is always great for a slower team. Stunfisk allows me to counter Electric-types as well as block Volt Switch, while also providing a hard check to Monferno, Pawniard, and Mawile, three incredible threats to slower teams. I'm running a standard set with SR and Toxic. Yawn is also an option but is better suited to offensive teams to provide momentum, while Toxic is great here to wear down pokemon such as Tangela and Gourgeist for Mawile to break through. Since I have a strong defensive backbone and two revenge killers, I am able to play a little recklessly with Stunfisk and try to sack it to get important static paras in some matches. In other matches though, it is crucial for it to remain alive as a check to for example, Rapidash or Life Orb Monferno.​

Swanna @ Life Orb
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Defog
Swanna has impressed me lately. From an underrated niche mon, it has risen up to be one of the major faces of balance in PU. And it's easy to see why. With its dual STAB it is extremely difficult to wall, while it also provides a great check to two of the best pokemon in the tier, Machoke and Monferno. I opted for an offensive LO Swanna as the rest of my team is quite lacking in offensive power, and I didn't want to go with a stall-type team. Swanna provides a secondary check to Machoke and Monferno which is always useful if the primary checks die, and of course removes hazards, but it's most useful in mid-game, where it can fire off powerful attacks and break through other teams.

Other Options: Lumineon Defogs like Swanna but provides a much stronger check to water-types, (Floatzel, Simipour, etc). This is useful because it allows me to run something other than SpD Clefairy in my special tank slot, but Lumineon is also quite passive and opens me up to a lot of other dangerous pokemon like Rotom-F.

Rapidash @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
Rapidash is a pokemon that has fallen off the radar recently, but is still quite good. Although it has a lot of checks (Golem, Gabite, Chinchou), most of them can be worn down with Wisp early-game, and then Rapidash can clean up lategame. Because I have strong checks to Golem, Gabite, and other pokemon that check Rapidash, I can usually outlast these pokemon throughout the course of a match. Rapidash also helps me with checking a lot of normal balance breaker pokemon with its speed and power. For example it revenges Articuno and Mime if they manage to get out of hand, which is one of the reasons I used it over Monferno. You may notice I'm running Flame Body over Flash Fire here- looks weird but it helps pressure a lot of pokemon such as Mawile, Jumpluff, and Ninjask.

Other Options: Monferno is also decent here. It's a better wallbreaker than Rapidash and provides a win condition as well with SD + Mach Punch. However as mentioned previously I would miss Rapidash's ability to revenge Articuno and Mime.​

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
The new addition to the tier, Mawile has already proven to be a dominant force. Although its horrible stats still make me cringe at times, Mawile's useful typing and ability are more than enough to make up for it in battles. Mawile provides me a check to a lot of things that my team would otherwise be weak to. Articuno, Grumpig, Stoutland, Dodrio, Jumpluff. It can't really switch into any of these pokemon cause crap stats but it is able to 1v1 them and force them (most likely) to sack something, which is a really positive scenario for me. Mawile also provides a much needed wallbreaker. Too often these days I see balance teams which have great defensive synergy but don't pack a punch, which means they just lose to EVEN more defensive teams with pokemon with more reliable recovery, and heal bell, etc. Mawile patches up that issue nicely for me.

~~~

Threatlist
This beats all my team except Stunfisk. I'm forced to keep Stunfisk at high health and hope for paras...luckily it isn't too common.
Although I'm good vs lefties and Life Orb, Scarf variants are really dangerous for me as there's little stopping them from just Tricking Clefairy and then proceeding to spam attacks. Rapidash and Swanna can revenge kill luckily.
Acid Armor variants are really tricky for me (it also straight up beats most teams). I do have SD Mawile to overpower it but it's far from a reliable counter due to lack of recovery.​

Importable
Mawile @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Ability: Pickup
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Seed Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis

Swanna @ Life Orb
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Defog

Rapidash @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Other Versions
This team is highly customizable, due to having a strong defensive/offensive core. I've built versions of it that change a few pokemon here and there to go stronger vs certain threats but weaker vs others, while sticking to the same overall concept.

Lumineon + Grumpig version:
Mawile @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Taunt
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Ability: Pickup
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Seed Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis

Lumineon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Defog
- U-turn

Rapidash @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

A change I like is switching up Swanna for Lumineon so I don't have to run another hard check to Floatzel/Simi, freeing me up to run Grumpig over Clefairy. This helps out with Rapidash and slower pokemon weak to Taunt, but makes the team weaker to non-Scarf Rotom-F.

Here's a version with Monkey over Rapidash, if you are struggling with the likes of Gabite and Chinchou but not Cuno/Mime.​

Shoutouts

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)