Reuniclus (Analysis)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The counters section seems a little small. Without a Choice Band, Tyranitar is nowhere near OHKOing with Crunch, while Focus Blast is a Guarenteed OHKO in return. Scizor also has to run Bug Bite or it's not getting the KO either.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
I started using OTR ranculus recently. It's completely blown me away. I've never used trick room before, and the sheer power of the set is mind boggling. His special attack is just high enough to get the job done with a life orb, and he completely disregards the speed tiers, which is a powerful advantage for any sweeper. Ranky has won me games singlehandedly. Gen 5s eventual MVP?

Ranculus @ life orb
Magic guard
Quiet
192 HP/64 Def/252 SpAtk
2 Spe IVs

-Trick Room
-Psychic
-Focus blast
-Hidden Power Ice

HP ice instead of shadow ball. Landlos, gliscor and dragons die before they knew what hit them. Two speed IVs give you a hp with 70 power, and 60 speed.

What exactly is shadow ball used for? I've OHKOed pretty much everything with these 3 moves. Ice's coverage allows you to run through teams at a moments notice, no softening up needed. Shadow ball just seems redundant to me. You have focus blast for darks and hp ice for psychics, which are usually frail enough to be O/2HKOed and can't KO back. I can't think of anything that shadow ball is better for. Why has nobody mentioned hidden power ice/grass/fire?

MVP stands for Most Valued Pokemon, right?

Only a few things to add. Firstly, Leftovers needs a slash on the Calm Mind + Recover set, and maybe even deserves to be the primary slash (opinions from those who use Rankurusu frequently would be appreciated). I think Focus Blast should be the primary slash on the first set as well, especially since the difference in base power is huge against Tyranitar. I don't know exactly what other people are running, but max HP and max Special Defense Tyranitar actually wins out against Hidden Power Fighting variants of Rankurusu:

Tyranitar's Crunch vs Rankurusu: 305 Atk vs 233 Def & 409 HP (80 Base Power): 224 - 266 (54.77% - 65.04%)
Rankurusu's +1 HP Fighting vs Tyranitar: 523 Atk vs 492 Def & 404 HP (70 Base Power): 280 - 332 (69.31% - 82.18%)
Rankurusu's +1 Focus Blast vs Tyranitar: 523 Atk vs 492 Def & 404 HP (120 Base Power): 476 - 564 (117.82% - 139.60%)

As you can see, Tyranitar can come in on the Calm Mind and proceed to 2HKO you while you fail to OHKO back. Yes, Focus Blast's accuracy sucks, but I think it's worth risking to beat Rankurusu's biggest threat. Hidden Power Fighting should still get a slash, but you'll need to explain why Focus Blast is so important. Once these changes are made...

QC Approved 1/2

I assume that would be slashed with Calm Mind (although that's integral to the set)? Otherwise, you're left with only one attacking slot.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd opinionate that due to bad experience with Hidden Power Fighting (even with some offensive support), Focus Blast should be THE main option and Hidden Power should be disclosed in Other Options.

As far as Team Options go, I don't like "slow Fighting-type" teammates. Any Fighting-type--slow OR fast--will do as long as they can shut down Dark-types nearly completely. I also want to point out that to go along with Ranurusu, there should be an alternate way to sponge Focus Blast targets rather than Fighting-types.

I started using OTR ranculus recently. It's completely blown me away. I've never used trick room before, and the sheer power of the set is mind boggling. His special attack is just high enough to get the job done with a life orb, and he completely disregards the speed tiers, which is a powerful advantage for any sweeper. Ranky has won me games singlehandedly. Gen 5s eventual MVP?

Ranculus @ life orb
Magic guard
Quiet
192 HP/64 Def/252 SpAtk
2 Spe IVs

-Trick Room
-Psychic
-Focus blast
-Hidden Power Ice

HP ice instead of shadow ball. Landlos, gliscor and dragons die before they knew what hit them. Two speed IVs give you a hp with 70 power, and 60 speed.

What exactly is shadow ball used for? I've OHKOed pretty much everything with these 3 moves. Ice's coverage allows you to run through teams at a moments notice, no softening up needed. Shadow ball just seems redundant to me. You have focus blast for darks and hp ice for psychics, which are usually frail enough to be O/2HKOed and can't KO back. I can't think of anything that shadow ball is better for. Why has nobody mentioned hidden power ice/grass/fire?

MVP stands for Most Valued Pokemon, right?
I prefer HP Fire for Scizor because STAB Psychic does a hefty chunk to the aforementioned threats anyway. Scizor is a chronic counter to the TR set and this easily dispatches of him before he has the chance to Bug Bite/U-turn. Probably making it the most beneficial third slot option. You lose coverage on Psychic types, the most common being Latios, but even standard Shadow Ball isn't getting the OHKO after SR, while it proceeds to Draco the fuck out of you. HP Ice is hardly getting the job done either. Only useful for Rand imo, though even he needs LO or Band to OHKO in return.

Lamppost

I put the milk in first
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shadow ball is commonly used over hidden power ice/fire because of latios. with psychic, shadow ball, and focus blast rankurusu has perfect coverage. All you need to do is beat scizor before you send out rank. That is why magnezone is one of the best partners, if not the best partner for rank.

Overall shadow ball is better as a coverage option and that's why it's the standard. But it "doesn't get the KO you need on Lati@s" and to me that seems rather poor considering that is the only notable thing you'll be hitting with shadow ball. Pretty subjective for your team I guess because if you have Zone you might as well throw hp Fire out the window. Though if anything I was saying hp fire deserves the slash before hp ice, which is just too situational.

im just going to help you out with some wording and what not. first sentence. rankurusu is a pokemon.

you also capitalize random things like speed, defensive, and over-reliant.

"to beat its counters"

although there is often no space for it as Hidden power is important to it.
??????

you can probably take out arceus fighting now.

"This set is best to use if you are trying to Support the team and Sweep."
you're really just trying to sweep alone. unless you're trying to run a full trick room team but usually ive seen rank doin it on his own.

trick room set comments
"The Ev's"

The EVs. also once again in that paragraph you capitalize random things. like nature, speed, special attack, and bulk.

"boosts your Special Attack to over 500"
probably better off just saying the exact stat.

jeez you just capitalize a lot of random things dont you. i dont feel like pointing out them all.

also just mentioning this. jolly scarf tyranitar's pursuit when rank is not switching does max like 38% with 192/64 like listed. meaning you can focus blast or hp fighting as your heart desires until it dies. you should just read over the whole thing again as there's a lot of grammatical/spacing/capitalization errors. just tryin to help out. good luck

Might want to mention somewhere in the write-up that the Trick Room set can work as a stand-alone sweeper against Offensive teams, but the Calm Mind sweeper beats Stall teams far more efficiently.

I think the moveset for CM + Recover should be:

- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psycho Shock / Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

I use Psycho Shock to beat Blissey and other Special walls. If I want to use 2 Special attacks, I prefer perfect coverage and the ability to beat other Reunicles than a bad STAB. Just some thoughts.

You can beat Blissey anyway, what can Blissey do to you with magic guard. With Magic Guard Rakurusu does not care.

<p>Sadly this set is easily countered. Any Physical Attack that is Super Effective will destroy this set. Scizor takes little damage from a weak Focus Blast and can KO with U-Turn. </p>
Sorry, but this is just plain wrong, although i'm not sure about your EV spread, but at least with 252 HP / 252 Def which was already suggested (and i believe is most common) almost no physical attack will KO (if it can survive Ttar's crunch and CB scizor's U-Turn then it means it is definetly difficult to KO). Since scizor cannot OHKO with U-turn Rank should just recover on scizor's attack (especially since you risk pursuit if you switch) and Ttar is obivously OHKOed by focus blast. Few countes to this set are spiritomb and sableye thanks to their immunities (although they're both rare), CM latios with roar (who has trouble vs psycho shock versions if Rank is the last mon on the team) and CB Shubarugo which is Rank's best counter in general and you don't even mention it, although it's true that outside of countering Rank shubarugo kinda sucks.

I know this sounds really random and silly, but Rankurusu should really run 0 Speed IV's and a -speed nature on all it sets to "outslow" 0 speed Choice Band Bronzong. This lets CB Bronzong's Payback only have 50 BP (100 supereffective) so it no longer beats Rankurusu. I've been using CB Bronzong as a Rank counter, but when I realized that Rank was actually slower when it has a -spe nature and 0 Ivs, it really hurt it's reliability. It never hurts to get rid of a counter if all it takes is a loss of speed tieing with other base 30's, since Rank beats them one on one anyway most of the time. At least mention it in optional changes.

EDIT@TomahawkBelow: Psycho Shock beats other Reuniclus just fine since it targets its defense stat instead of the stat it's boosting i.e. SpD on the Calm Mind set.

Shubarugo, Spiritomb, Taunt Deoxys-D, Metagross, CB Zong, CM Roar Latias, Perish Song Celebi, Trick users, Encore; prolly all these need mentions as counters too.

Shubarugo, Spiritomb, Taunt Deoxys-D, Metagross, CB Zong, CM Roar Latias, Perish Song Celebi, Trick users, Encore; prolly all these need mentions as counters too.
that'd be choice trickers; Iron ball and other fun trickers don't really bother it much. I'd add sableye to that list, and move Perish Celebi a bit backwards. All Shadow Ball Reunicli beat it, before having to switch out.. As do HP Fire variants. CB Zong is beaten by 0IV -speed nature, and Reuniclus really doesn't want the speed anyway.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You really need to change the EV spread. 252HP / 252 Def is far to superior to the one you have listed. Rankurusu doesn't need that extra Special Attack , it would rather have the bulk to setup. I mean eventually you'll be boosting to high enough levels anyway, so that extra special attack won't be useful.

PS: The opening line is too specific. It doesn't just beat Blissey it dominates most of the metagame! (just my 2 cents)

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Please make the changes suggested by Bloo and Setsuna, and you'll have 3 (technically 4) approvals.

I'd pretty much demand Hidden Power Fire on Reuniclus, on the Trick Room set at the very least. Nattorei, Scizor, and other steels love to switch in, only to net you a free kill. It covers much more threats than Shadow Ball does, surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)