Regirock Discussion - now with more defense than Dusknoir, Rhyperior and Deoxys-L

#377 - Regirock

Regirock found its place in RSE battling with its massive defense and decent HP. The problem with this was it was outclassed by skarmory, who had no physical weaknesses. In fact, nothing except Suckle had higher defense, and everyone knows that sucks.

Now, of course, there are new attacks, those which open up the weaknesses in Skarmory's defense. Regirock enjoyed some use in RSE, but now new options have opened up.

See, being a rock type, Regirock gets a sandstorm boost. Now Regirock's special defense of 100 wasn't too far off Snorlax's in RSE, but with a sandstorm boost, its as rediculous as Tyranitar. This is near close to Deoxys-L's 160. With this it surpasses Rhyperior, who's taking on the role of the new Snorlax.

And with 100 attack, Regirock packs quite a punch. Throw in moves like trick room and a choice band and Regirock can do all sorts of damage. That's not how I'd personally do it, but if that's your battling style, go right ahead.

So Regirock is best used in conjunction with Tyranitar or Hippowdon. I think that you'd be mad not to use Tyranitar, who himself matches the special defense of Regirock, and we all know what happened there. Tyranitar's best counters are physical now. Regirock shrugs off those physical attacks in the same was Steelix does. And like any good tank, it can explode in a pinch, so nothing goes to waste.

Other important aspects of Regirock are its ability to counter T-Tar. With 200 defense and benefits from T-Tar's ability, as well as the ever lovely hammer arm Regirock can deal with a T-Tar pretty effectively. It's definately one of the counters I'd suggest for dealing with him.

Regirock definately makes a good addition to any team. It doesn't need a T-Tar to be good and it has Clear Body, which isn't a bad ability in the slightest. There's a bit of versatility here.
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/450.shtml
Suggested Movesets:

Sandstream Tank/Attacker
Regirock @ Leftovers/Smooth Rock/Choice Band
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Hammer Arm
Explosion/Rest

(this is what I use and have experience with).

Trick Room Team/Curserock
Regirock @ Leftovers
Sandstorm
Curse
Hammer Arm
Stone Edge

Suggested EVs: Ah, my enternal weakness, EV spreads. I'm going to avoid giving out numbers, because my numbers are never the best. You may want to pour some into special defense because even with the boost it's nowhere near the defense of Regirock. HP is a given. Some attack would be nice. Don't bother with speed. This area definately needs more testing and suggestions, and contributions would be welcome.

And finally, just as a testiment to how well Regirock shrugs off its weaknesses, I quote the smogon dex entry from RSE: Regirock can survive Adamant CB Medicham Hi Jump Kick, and that's without any Defense EVs.

I don't really have much more to add at the moment, so feel free to discuss.

Regirock - careful
-Counter
-Stone Edge
-Explosion
-Hammer Arm

Meh!... i hate that sandstorm blankets every rock there is and suddenly makes it good but good job regirock.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Regirox was always the coolest looking out of the trio. I would run curse/earthquake/stone edge/explosion in this generation.

As for EVs, you will want enough speed to outrun brave Swampert. Max HP before raising defense (if at all) and dump the remainder into attack. Adamant or impish is down to personal preference.

The main problem for Regirox is that it can neither outclass Rhyperior as an alternative nor can it defeat it head on.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
A random fact: Max HP/Def Impish Regirock takes 44%-52% from a DDtar's Dragon Danced Earthquake

Not really, you're then rocking three Pokemon with water and grass weaknesses at the very least, and if you're trying to run TTar on that team you're adding a weakness to fighting / steel / ground for half your team. Not really good.

Regirock now has 190'ish base SDef and 200 base Def.

Have fun killing it.

(When it has +SDef nature and 252 EV's, its SDef is 492, only seven points less than Regice's max.)

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Regirock is the new Golem. It has some tricks up its sleeve, but people are probably going to stick to Rhyperior (or Tyranitar). Still, an awesome Explosion is nothing to laugh at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)