Other Features Red: The Rise and Fall of a Legend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I’m Alexandrine and am very excited about this wonderful opportunity to contribute to The Smog! Goddess Briyella has graciously agreed to supervise and advise me in this endeavor. Without further ado, I will outline my idea for this article.

Red is without a doubt one of the most iconic characters presented in the Pokemon franchise. His debut in the first games, followed by his cryptic appearance in the games of the second generation, has made him the subject of much discussion. However, I feel that there hasn’t been a thorough examination of what might have transpired that caused him to give up his reign as Champion and seclude himself in Mt. Silver. My goal is to chronicle his journey from Pallet Town to the Indigo League-staying faithful to the storyline depicted in Pokemon Red and Blue, as well as in the four episode special Pokemon Origins- and then transition to a discussion of whatever it was that changed him so drastically. The article would be divided as such:

1. Brief introduction, of which a tentative example follows.

“He stands at the precipice of the cliff’s jagged edge, confident in his footing on the icy expanse of rock. Cold winds blow, whipping his dark hair into his eyes. The biting chill sets deep into his bones but he seems not to notice it, his gaze fixated eastward. There, far beyond the horizon, at the base of the sun’s setting arc, lies a town so very much removed from the mountain’s perpetual winter. A town he once knew…”

2. Overview

- Provide summation of Red’s history in the franchise
- State what I will be discussing (i.e. Red’s journey + theories with regards to his disappearance)

2. “Humble Beginnings”

- Born and raised in Pallet Town by his mother; absentee father
- Discuss his friend / rival Blue
-> Compare and contrast the qualities of the two
- Starts journey to complete Pokedex with Charmander as his partner
- Crushing defeat at the hands of Blue and his Squirtle
- >This is really the true start of their rivalry
- >Discuss effects on Red
- Fateful meeting with Brock and the Gym battle with him

3. “Meteoric”

- It becomes clear he has an unusually potent gift for bonding with Pokemon and battling
- Discuss the events of Lavender Town (i.e. Team Rocket, Cubone / Marowak)
- > A defining heroic moment for Red
- >Also a turning point in Red and Blue’s rivalry as the former distinguishes himself in his bravery, compassion, and courage
- Saves Silph Co
- Defeats Giovanni, thus single-handedly taking down the terrorist organization
- Becomes the Pokemon League Champion as he beats the Elite Four and Blue
- Captures Mewtwo, thus “completing” the Pokedex
- > Red succeeds whereas Blue is badly injured (Not only nail in coffin for their rivalry, as Red has demonstrated himself superior repeatedly, but perhaps this also marks the beginning of the end for their friendship given Blue’s inherent arrogance)
- > His Charizard Mega evolves into Mega Charizard X
- Pokemon Origins concludes with the discovery that Mew exists and him expressing his desire to catch it

4. “Star Dust” (Reference to the previous part “Meteoric”; when a meteor leaves, it leaves a bright trail of dust. Alternatively, I might simply go with“Disappearance”)

- Failure to find Mew and/or suffered a harsh loss in battle in the process
- > This is based on his devastated response to losing to Blue early on in his adventure; doesn’t respond well to failure
- > In conjunction with ribbing from Blue, this would cause him to feel inadequate to hold the Champion title
- >Consequently, isolates himself in a zone where notoriously strong Pokemon roam in order to better himself

- The case of the Mega Stone and Charizard
- >Mega Charizard X was far stronger than virtually all known Pokemon at that time, as evidenced by it being able to contend with and defeat the legendary Mewtwo
- >As Mega Evolutions were not a researched phenomena at that time, Red didn’t know how to properly control its sheer power
- >This could have resulted in 1 of 2 events:
1. Fighting at Cinnabar Island (perhaps against a remaining group of rebel Rocket grunts) that caused the volcano to erupt and destroy the island or
2. Red and his Charizard severely injuring opponents in battle
- > As a result of his guilt and fear, Red secluded himself in Mt. Silver along with the Mega Stone, which would explain why Mega Evolutions were not heard of until much later on, when Mega Stones were rediscovered in Kalos

- Another possible reason is his friendship with Blue being torn apart and Red becoming generally dissatisfied with fame

5. Conclusion

- Summation of what was discussed
- A closer akin to the introduction:

“Those willing and skilled enough to brave the ravages of Mt. Silver can find him within its depths. Whether he is content, grief-stricken, or bitter, it is impossible to discern from his expressionless face and you can be sure that he will never tell. But one thing is certain- in the midst of battle, the determinedly icy exterior chips, exposing the fiery passion that flares in a Champion's heart."

Thank you for your time!

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
First off, this is a very thorough article structure, we appreciate that when we evaluate pitches.

Secondly, this doesn't seem to be all that ..... new. The first three parts are essentially a summary of the Origin anime, and given the audience you're targetting with this article, one would assume they've already watched it. Which leaves us with only category 4 as the truly original part of this article. And while I'm no opponent of creative writing, this article still only boils down to what you find to be an interesting theory behind Red's isolation, even thought you've made effort to create a fully plausible explanation.

So yeah, I don't really know about approving this, since most of it is already known and the last part could just as well be constructed by anyone else given enough time. Layell and skylight might shed their own light at this, but I'm not seeing the appeal of this article. I'm leaning towards a no.

although I feel terrible declining this given your awesome skeleton :c

That's a Bummer :P

In all seriousness, the focus of this article indeed would be what caused Red's isolation and the rest of it is just some background/build-up to that, which I'd cut down on, given your valid point. If the core idea doesn't suit The Smog though then yeah, I guess this has to be tossed.

Thanks for your comments :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)