Rain

Rain

This is in general an offensively based rain team that I made. Under the conditions of rain both Starmie and Thundurus can become quite dangerous if not handled correctly, and this team is generally focused on pulling of a Thundurus or Starmie sweep.
At a glance

In depth

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Hidden Power [Grass]
Focus Blast

Politoed is obviously required on every rain team unless if it is one which attempts to pull off a swift swim sweep. Choice scarf Politoed is very effective, capable of stopping sun or sandstorm and outspeeding and KO’ing their respective sweepers (Excadrill, Victreebel, etc.) A STAB hydro pump in the rain is incredibly powerful. Ice beam destroys grass- and dragon-types, while HP grass is meant for opposing water-types. Focus blast hits Ferrothorn for SE.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
Surf
Thunder
Ice Beam
Recover

This is the bread and butter Starmie set. Starmie is a very potent sweeper in the rain and checks several metagame threats including Gliscor, Gyarados, Latios and Thundurus. I recover>rapid spin since Starmie often forces switches and has the opportunities to use it. Starmie takes advantage of the rain as it powers up its main STAB and also gives it 100% accurate thunder.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Trait: Prankster
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
Nasty Plot
Thunder
Focus Blast
Hidden Power [Ice]

This moveset is pretty obvious as it focuses on the offensive characteristics of Thundurus. Thundurus is a beast in rain, firing STAB 100% accurate thunders. Focus blast hits Ferrothorn and Porygon2 for SE. HP ice hits dragons and Gliscor. I use HP Ice>grass knot as Gastrodon and Quagsire aren't that threatening. The attack power of Thundurus is incredible after a nasty plot boost, which guaranteed its spot on a rain team.

Toxicroak (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
Swords Dance
Cross Chop
Ice Punch
Sucker Punch

Toxicroak deals with several threats that check Starmie and Thundurus. It can switch into a Ferrothorn power whip or a Tyranitar stone edge. Cross chop preferred since it’s more powerful. Ice punch hits Gliscor. Sucker punch is useful for Latias, Latios and ghosts, and Latios do not tend to carry substitute or protect. It also helps beat trick room, I suppose. After a swords dance Toxicroak’s power is quite high and can break walls such as Blissey and Ferrothorn.
I suppose I could use Conkeldurr here although that wouldn’t allow me to switch into water-type attacks. It does have mach punch though, which could help.

Deoxys-S @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 12 Atk / 244 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
Stealth Rock
Superpower
Ice Beam
Thunder

Deoxys-S lays down stealth rocks and also serves as a revenge killer of some sorts. While its power isn’t that great its movepool is and gives it access to ice beam and thunder. Superpower is for Tyranitar, Blissey and Ferrothorn. The EV spread is the standard Smogon one meant for KO’ing Tyranitar. Deoxys-S has naturally high speed, which helps it in defeating opposing Thundurus, Starmie, etc., with the appropriate move.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Atk / 220 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
Bug Bite
Roost

Bulky SD Scizor is my answer to Reuniclus, Latias, Latios and Jirachi, as it can set up on them and threaten a sweep. Bullet punch hits fast, frail sweepers while bug bite provides STAB. Roost improves Scizor’s longevity. This along with Toxicroak allows me to check Tyranitar and Abomasnow. I could use choice band Scizor here although that would open me up to Jirachi more.

So yeah, that’s the team. Rate critically.

Not a bad team, pretty well built. However, you don't have anything to take Electric attacks. Opposing Rain teams will take this as an invitation to drop Thunder on your head. You want an Electric resist or, at the very least, a dedicated special wall. Quagsire, Raikou, and Blissey are just a few of the options available for this role.

Also, I'd really suggest running Bulk Up and Drain Punch on that Toxicroak and giving it Black Sludge. I know firsthand that the Bulk Up set is a nightmare to kill if you let it set up.

Instead of Deoxys-S, try Choice Specs Latios as a revenge killer. It also serves as a more reliable method to get rid of Ninetales and Draco Meteor easily KOs common Sun team members. Since you lack priority other than Scizor (he's not Banded by the way), Latios also helps you kill SD Haxorus without sacrificing Scizor.

The above poster is correct, Bulk Up Toxicroak will give your opponent hell and work better in rain as compared to an all-out offensive SD variant.

Quite a solid team, though, good job.

Instead of Deoxys-S, try Choice Specs Latios as a revenge killer. It also serves as a more reliable method to get rid of Ninetales and Draco Meteor easily KOs common Sun team members. Since you lack priority other than Scizor (he's not Banded by the way), Latios also helps you kill SD Haxorus without sacrificing Scizor.
That sounds plausible although Latios cannot lay down stealth rocks. I suppose Scizor could be replaced with something that can learn SR?

Hey there. Nice team.

Deoxys-S doesn't really need a Naive nature, so run a Mild nature instead. This will power up Ice Beam and Thunder, and allow Deoxys-S to do much more damage; it still outspeeds everything that is a couple points above Timid Scarf Rotom-W, and everything below that.

On Politoed, run a Timid Nature so you can outspeed Adamant +1 Dragonite. It can pose a problem for your team if Scizor is weakened, and since you don't have a rapid spinner, it is not that hard to do. Politoed will still hit hard with Hydro Pump. Also, run Perish Song over Focus Blast. This will let you destroy not only baton pass teams, but also save yourself from being swept if you accidentally let something threatening like a Calm Mind Jirachi set up. Ferrothorn can take Focus Blast somewhat well regardless.

Now, a major threat to your team is Rotom-W. You don't really have any safe switch-ins to it, and Leftovers versions can really mess your team up. Seeing as it's the #2 most used pokemon in OU at the moment (if the stats are correct), this could pose to be a severe problem to you. Seeing as how Starmie's 115 speed is extremely useful, especially in beating pokemon such as Thundurus, I recommend that you replace Thundurus with a Celebi. Celebi cannot only prove to be a reliable switch-in to Rotom-W, but it can be a very effective special attacker, especially against rain teams.

Nasty Plot Celebi
Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SAtk / 180 Speed
Modest Nature
-Giga Drain
-Nasty Plot
-Recover
-Earth Power / Psychic

The last move is a toss-up between Earth Power and Psychic, as Hidden Power Fire is pretty much worthless in rain. Earth Power is the preferred option as it stops you from being walled by Jirachi, who you will easily outspeed with this EV Spread. The speed evs allow Celebi to outspeed Adamant max speed Lucario, and destroy it with Earth Power (it also subsequently outspeeds max speed Heatran, and can destroy that with Earth Power as well). Psychic is another option in order to stop Dragonite.

Good luck.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I would suggest running a Specially defensive Jirachi in place of Scizor. This gives you a less reliable, but still viable check to the Latii twins and Reuniclus. Thunder over Body Slam and Relaxed instead of Careful are the adjustments from the standard set. Gives you a Wishpasser so Starmie and Thundurus don't kill themselves. I'd also suggest dropping Recover on Starmie for Psyshock. Scarfed Rotom-W can just spam Volt Switches everywhere, in other words, you get owned. I suggest dropping Deoxys-S for a Gastrodon, which also helps you against opposing rain teams.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Serene Grace
Relaxed
252 Hp/ 252 SpD/ 4 Def
Iron Head
Thunder
Wish
Stealth Rock

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Storm Drain
Calm
252 Hp/ 252 SpD/ 4 SpA
Scald
Earth Power/ Ice Beam
Toxic
Recover

Once opposing Toxicroak grabs a Bulk Up, which it can do against Politoed locked into Surf, it's pretty much game over since most of your team can't really stand up to a +1 Sucker Punch. The two 'mons who can, Scizor and your own Toxicroak, still lose thanks to the enemy Croak's defense boost(s) and Drain Punch's healing effect. I'd look into replacing Deoxys. All it's really doing is setting up Stealth Rock and giving you alot of speed; since you've already got alot of the latter, there are much better options for the former. You might want to give Gliscor a shot in Deo's place. He counters Toxicroak nicely, and even though he loses out on Poison Heal, he can set up SR. He also gives you a much easier time against sand teams since he walls the omnipresent Excadrill and can abuse Sand Veil.

Gliscor @ Leftovers | Impish | Sand Veil | 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Stealth Rock | Earthquake | Roost | Ice Fang

One other change you might want to consider is Rapid Spin over Recover on Starmie. By removing your opponent's SR, you support Thundurus since he'll be alot harder to kill with priority attacks. Starmie isn't bulky enough to effectively use Recover. Good luck!

Hi AerialLight

First of all I see your team is very-rain based. You need to keep rain on the field else your team won't work. Simple as that. Politoad when holding a Choice Scarf nature while its good at revenge killing sandstorm/sun sweepers it often gets on trouble with hazards also it won't last too much in the battle meaning you won't win the weather war. That being said, I suggest you run a Defensive Politoad over your actual one. It increases the chance to win the weather war, meaning sandstorm teams will have a harder time against you. If you manage to keep rain as much as possible in the field, it will increase the chance of winning. While scarf toad is good at revenge killing, this politoad is much better on keeping rain in the field, wich you need it so your team can work alot better. Here's the set:

Politoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Nature: Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Refresh
- Hypnosis / Perish Song / Protect

Refresh lets you deal with some Ninetales or other pokemon who want to Toxic/WoW your politoad, statusing it down and then he dies quick. Last move is optional on what you want. Hypnosis is cool, cuz it put some walls to sleep wich can be annoying for your team like TW ferrothorn and Rotom-W. Perish Song helps you deal with baton pass, althrough its useless if the opponent has a mr.mime, but still helps. Protect increases his survability while scouts choiced opponents like Specs Rotom.

On your starmie, i highly recomend using Rapid Spin over either Recover, Thunder or Ice beam. It keeps rocks and other hazards out of the field, helping your Thundurus and your Politoad, who gets hit by all hazards, wearing him down. You dont want him to get owned by hazards on a weather war. On Thundurus, I recomend Lum Berry instead of Life Orb. You protect him from status from Jirachi and Ferrothorn. Lets you beat Blissey and Sp.Def Jirachi on a 1vs1 combat.

Now i think your team needs a real switch for Gastordon and Rotom-W who can really destroy your team. Deoxys-S seems the weak link here so i'd replace him for a Ferrothorn. Keeps other rain teams in check, spread paralyzes, and its a good suport overall with thunder wave. Being able to abuse rain with his typing, holding even strong fire attacks, helping your sweepers with Thunder Wave (also not being setup bait due to it), setuping stealth rock, and a switch for rain boosted attacks. Here's the set:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Nature: Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip

Ferrothorn fits well as a team support. It checks Gastordon, setup SR to help thundurus/scizor on sweeping, and abuse rain due to its typing. It won't will be a setup bait because he can paralyze. Leech Seed works as a recovery and the last move hits Gastordon and Rotom-W super effective as well its his main STAB move.

Now you could replace Toxicroak for something since you got Ferro to absorb attacks and things he checks are also check by Scizor, like Ferrothorn. You can replace him for a better wallbreaker, a secondary Rotom-W check who dosent mind burn that much, lures in and weaks Tyranitar, and is a strong hit-an-run mon overall. Im taking about Latios over croak. Heres the set:

Latios @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Nature: Timid Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Trick

It lures in steels wich scizor can setup on them. Lures in Tyranitar, weak it or possibly killing it. And its a remarkable wall breaker overall, especially in the rain, hitting Jirachi and other steels not named Ferrothorn with a rain boosted surf. Draco Meteor hits everything for great damage. Just be careful to not being setup bait for Volcaorna or some other thing.

Good Luck!

Hey there, First of all; You could start Deoxys-S or Scizor just incase they lead with a T-tar you could either force them to switch with Scizor or bluff the Choice Band and get a free SD, or set up first with deoxys and then bring in your weather. Second; I'd use RapidSpin on starmie, you dont want to lose your weather introducer early in the game or even your Rain Sweeper (Toxicroak) due to entry hazards.

Hey there, First of all; You could start Deoxys-S or Scizor just incase they lead with a T-tar you could either force them to switch with Scizor or bluff the Choice Band and get a free SD, or set up first with deoxys and then bring in your weather. Second; I'd use RapidSpin on starmie, you dont want to lose your weather introducer early in the game or even your Rain Sweeper (Toxicroak) due to entry hazards.
Umm, with team preview, he can lead with anything he wants regardless of his team order when he goes into the battle. So im assuming he already knows he can start with Deoxy-S / Scizor...

You lack checks to enemy Thundurus and you should always be prepared for people to change the weather. If you're in sand, your team has literally nothing that can stand up to SD Excadrill. Scizor, with the given, EVs can take EQ, but other than that, you have nothing. Nice move putting Toxicroak here to deal with Chansey/Blissey. Good Luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)