Purrloin** [QC 0/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Original analysis written by Camzon. This analysis, among others, had to be completed and submitted in a hurry for Smogon's new dex. The OP here has been fully changed to reflect QC's version of this, written by Goddess Briyella.

Overview
########
- So cute omg
- Very annoying, SwagPlay is very potent but largely luck-based
- Prankster status is awesome
- The only Prankster mon with U-turn in Little Cup
- Pitiful bulk, weak to any decently powerful move

Disruptive Pivot
########
name: Disruptive Pivot
move 1: Encore
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Swagger / Thunder Wave
move 4: Foul Play / Knock Off
ability: Prankster
item: Eviolite
evs: 188 HP / 60 Def / 228 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

- Encore disrupts support Pokemon as well as setup sweepers, locking them into an undesirable move
- U-turn is great for grabbing momentum
- Swagger and Foul Play is a rage-inducing combination that is very powerful with a little luck; Purrloin gets STAB on Foul Play as well
- STAB Knock Off is great also for crippling switch-ins after Encore is used, and also deals considerable damage
- Thunder Wave is an ideal option for quickly putting setup sweepers out of commission and making them easy to take out by teammates
- Play Rough is a new attacking option this generation that allows Purrloin to hit Fighting-types for super effective damage on the switch-in

Set Details
========

- Eviolite is the ideal item to use here because Purrloin's pitiful bulk likely won't allow it to take many hits to be able to recover health back from Berry Juice
- 228 Speed EVs and Jolly nature give Purrloin a respectable Speed stat of 17, which outspeeds an important group of Pokemon, including Pawniard and Meditite
- The remaining EVs give Purrloin the highest bulk possible with Eviolite, and since LC is largely more physically inclined than special, they are put into physical bulk

Usage Tips
========

- Encore can lock the opponent into a setup or support move
- U-turn is great to use after Encoring the foe into something undesirable; if they switch out, you can U-turn out to a comfortable check, and if they stay in, you can bring in a setup sweeper or supporter of your own and get at least one free turn
- Swagger and Foul Play are very destructive but the lack factor does present a risk
- Thunder Wave can be used to make a last-ditch attempt to slow down a problematic enemy before going down
- Purrloin should always beware of Fighting- and Fairy-types
- Knock Off smacks Natu hard if it tries to come in to deflect Purrloin's status moves
- Play Rough is only for predicted switch-ins to Fighting-types and should never be used against them head on when they have a turn to hit back, unless their health is low enough for an outspeed + KO

Team Options
========

- Slow VoltTurn users like Magnemite and Larvesta make good teammates that can VoltTurn out and bring Purrloin if they used a setup or support move, setting Purrloin up to Encore them, U-turn out on their switch, cripple the foe with a status move, or remove their item with Knock Off
- Poison-types like Croagunk, Foongus, and Trubbish (especially, due to its Sticky Hold) are ideal partners that can easily take on the Fighting- and Fairy-types that Purrloin has problems with
- Spritzee is an ideal partner that has little to fear from the Fighting-types that threaten Purrloin and can chase them away for a free turn
- Any strategy that appreciates paralysis support and momentum would be glad to include Purrloin as long as it's not played carelessly

Other Options
########

- Fake Out for chip damage and for gauging the opponent's Eviolite or lack thereof
- Copycat works with Prankster to use whatever move was last used, but with priority, this can turn the tide of battle in many scenarios
- Taunt is a viable option for anything with Prankster and can shut down support Pokemon
- Play Rough is a new move Purrloin gets and it can hit the Fighting- and Dark-types that resist its STAB for super effective damage
- Gunk Shot is surprisingly available to Purrloin and can hit Fairy-types for hard super-effective damage
- Sunny Day and Rain Dance with the corresponding weather rock can make Purrloin into a reliable weather setter that always gets the weather up thanks to Prankster
- Sucker Punch can be used to take down faster foes if they are at low health and can also be used to surprise attackers that are weak to it, such as Misdreavus
- Pursuit is an option for getting a good chunk of damage on a foe that is switching out to avoid being locked into Encore

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types**: Spritzee resists every attack in the set and is immune to Encore, and can one-shot Purrloin easily with Moonblast, while Cottonee can Taunt Purrloin to block its status moves, and hit it hard with Dazzling Gleam, while also resisting Purrloin's STAB

**Fighting-types**: Basically every Fighting-type in LC can take down Purrloin in one simple hit; they also wall every attack in the set

**Own Tempo Lickitung**: It can reap the Attack boost from Swagger without suffering confusion status, and Foul Play can only 3HKO Impish Eviolite Lickitung if it has +2 Attack, while it can hit back super hard with +2 STAB Return and no confusion

**Numel**: It is immune to both Swagger's confusion effect (it still gets the Attack boost) and Thunder Wave, making it impossible for Purrloin to status it

**Attackers in General**: Anything with decent attacking power that manages to hit Purrloin even just neutrally will probably 2HKO it, as its bulk is quite pitiful, you'd just have to fight through the paralysis and confusion and other things to be able to hit it

Last edited by a moderator:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Before I even QC this, I want to say that there needs to be a Foul Play set added with Swagger. It might be said that Murkrow does this better, but Murkrow does not have access to Encore or U-turn, differentiating this mon enough to warrant its own set.

Before I even QC this, I want to say that there needs to be a Foul Play set added with Swagger. It might be said that Murkrow does this better, but Murkrow does not have access to Encore or U-turn, differentiating this mon enough to warrant its own set.
Yeah, I realized last night when I was looking at some other analyses that I should do another set. I'll get on that! :] Should I just edit it here, or post a new reply on the Analyses thread?

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just noting: manually setting weather isn't exactly something that warrants a set, especially with a Pokemon like Purrloin that can actually do a lot more with its support movepool. In my opinion, weather support belongs in OO, or at least as a secondary set.

Can't SwaggerPlay be slashed into his current set? He already has Swagger, Thunder Wave, and Encore. The main set should look like this imo:

move 1: Swagger
move 2: Foul Play
move 3: Thunder Wave / U-Turn
move 4: Encore / Knock Off

and just call it "SwaggerPlay". The only difference between this and the current is Foul Play ofc, +U-Turn, +Eviolite, and -weather. Eviolite >>> Eject Button in all cases, even if weather is being used, because you need the bulk. Eject Button belongs in OO. Knock Off is there because it's absurdly useful.

In terms of EVs, you should probably stick with more HP for mixed bulk. A spread of 188 HP / 60 Def / 228 Spe Jolly is best. Max Speed lets you hit 17, and max HP with Def lets you tank a few hits from physical walls. You could also use a bulk boosting nature.

In Other Options, you mention CopyCat and Riolu, but keep in mind that Copy Cat no longer copies Roar. You should take that off.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm setting it up with SwaggerPlay as the main set. And I personally think that Weather Purrloin should still be a set, as I've seen it and Riolu both running this type of set very successfully, and I've been using it myself to pretty good avail. It doesn't really need the bulk, as only Super Effective STAB moves seem to kill, and being able to set up and switch out in the same turn is sort of the crutch for that set. Also I mention CopyCat in respect to Riolu without meaning Roar, because Riolu's typing makes him better for it in general. But yeah, adding SwaggerPlay right now.

Edit: Also in regards to 60 evs in Def, that would leave with 11 points with Eviolite..

Last edited:
move 1: Swagger
move 2: Foul Play
move 3: Thunder Wave / U-Turn
move 4: Encore / Knock Off
U-turn doesn't really have a place on the set? Thunder Wave is very useful for maximum chance of hax, and permanent crippling is useful. I think the third slot should be Substitute / Thunder Wave, as Substitute helps it avoid +2 hits and helps it Encore more safely. And slash Berry Juice for Substitute.

Also, why are you running speed on a Prankster pokemon with one attack? Max/max+ defense with the rest in SpD or spe seems more logical to take more swagger hits.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
U-turn is fine; it's Purrloin's biggest advantage over Murkrow for the strategy. It takes advantage of a fleeing Pokemon and can be used with hazards for extra damage. That set should probably be the main one. Encore is great for screwing up leads, setup, and basically any non-attacking move the foe employs.

The Prankster + Weather setter set with Eject Button can work but is actually kind of niche (as it is with Riolu and Murkrow, who have far better options) and I'm unsure if it warrants its own set, as Electrolyte said. But definitely put Swagger + Foul Play as the first set and tag me when you've done this.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
This Pokemon, as is the case with many others, was on a list of Pokemon that were high priority and needed to have completed skeletons for Smogon's new dex as soon as possible. As such, the OP of the thread has been fully edited to reflect the QC team's writeup of this Pokemon, as it will make things run a lot faster.

Thank you for understanding. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)