Psychos and Maniacs On The Loose

Sy123's Rate My Team Thread

Well hello everbody, to my well I guess third RMT I bothered to make. However this RMT is unique to most others in the fact I actually plan to use this team on Wifi, making a team is much more important on Wifi than simulators. Basically for the simple fact that if something goes wrong you have to breed another pokemon all over again. Even if you find your pokemon needs another Hidden Power type over another when you finnally find out that your team is weak to Scizor or something. Due to such circumstances you must prepare everything before you make your team for Wifi. This is what simulators are originally for arent they? So yes, I have made this team on Pokemon Online, and tested it out, it has so far won 2 tournaments (on the server) out of a possible 10. So I guess its alright, this team is based on the psychological mind games that can be played with the opponent. This is one of the reasons why I use Zoroark, and because I use such a pokemon, it impacts some moves on my other pokemon. The mind games you play with your opponent are much more subtle on Wifi yet at the same time are much more complex. In Wifi there seems to be no room for mistake as when you make your move, there is no cancel button to click. So prediction is much more essential, thereby mind games take a better part. My team down below is a team to counter the top new threats of the metagame such as Excadrill and Reiunculus, its a team to counter the top weather threats, by utilising one of my own. You must note that team preview is essential to the dynamics of my team, and as such the pokemon are in no particular order, I dont have a set lead, so keep that in mind

Gengar @ Life Orb
Levitate
Timid 6 Def/252 Sp.Atk/252 Speed
~Substitute
~Shadow Ball
~Focus Blast
~Pain Split

This set focuses primarily on blasting holes into the opposition to be honest, it rips through a lot of teams as well, my main concern in Scizor, but because of the pleasure of team preview I have the mindset to keep my couple of Scizor counters alive and well. Non- Sp.Def Tyranitar dies to Focus Blast, and Blissey (and its infamous partner Skarmory) is easily stopped by my Infernape of whom has excellent synergy with Gengar.

Substitute is to scout for my opponents move if they do indeed have a Pursuit user, otherwise its just something to hide behind in case there is something that needs an extra blow to the head to put the thing down. You can find that all versatile pokemon are annoying behind a Sub, especially when such a pokemon is capable of taking down a lot of pokemon. Shadow Ball is the obligatory STAB move, it provides a nice hard hitting move, a shame it doesnt get something more powerful, it also hits Reiunculus hard, and when I mean hard I mean hard. It KOes Starmie as well. Focus Blast is for coverage with the unresisted Ghost + Fighting combo, add to the fact that Focus Blast has same power as STAB Shadow Ball, so yeah it hits hard across the board. Pain Split is a move that allows me to get in more subs, more Life Orb time and ultimately gives me more chances the utterly wreck my opponent's team. It allows me to wreck over Chansey, and then switch in Alakzam for a KO with Psycho Shock (or at least give me a free switch in as it Softboils). That is because Pain Spli = More Subs = More Hits = Profit!

Alakazam @ Choice Specs/ Life Orb
Synchronize (Magic Guard if it comes out soon) Magic Guard + Life Orb
Timid 6 Def/252 Sp.Atk/252 Speed
~Psycho Shock
~Focus Blast
~Hidden Power Fire
~Energy Ball/Signal Beam/Grass Knot/Psychic

The point of this set is to clean up, when there is no theat left from dangerous priority, this guy comes in on a dead team mate, and it works wonders too, it will hit hard, harder than Gengar and Blissey gets 3HKOed Im pretty sure (who uses Blissey anymore?) But 2HKOes Chansey because of lack of leftovers recovery. Standard EV Spread, Magic Guard can potentially change this to a Sash set, because Magic Guard would protect the Sash from breaking with outside effects like Sandstorm, but I have to wait for that.

Psycho Shock is basically there to hit Chansey/Blissey without fail as well, nice STAB with respectable power, the only reason to use Psychic over Psycho Shock is to hit harder on things that are fully Defenisvely oriented (Vaporeon and Suicune comes to mind) however I have that listed in the filler slot. Focus Blast is to cover what Psycho Shock cannot, while HP Fire destroys Scizor if it doesnt decide to Bullet Punch, oh and it destroys Ferrothorn as well as taking advantage of potential Sun rays. The last is the definition of filler, there is so much Alakazam can use (but not Thunderbolt sadly) Energy Ball and Grass Knot are to hit bulky water types, however Energy Ball>Grass Knot for vaporeron. Signal Beam is for general coverage in case Im up against another Psychic type, same for Shadow Ball. Psychic however is potential for harder hitting, and in case Im up against a very defensive team, and teams such as those adjust to a physical hitting metagame. Only worry is Reiunculus and Scizor but those are taken care of by Gengar and later Infernape

Infernape @ Life Orb
Blaze
Naive 252 Atk/4 Sp.Atk/252 Speed
~Overheat
~Close Combat
~Stone Edge
~Grass Knot/U-turn/Mach Punch

This is pretty much Standard MixApe, it destroys SkarmBliss easily and well even Ferrothorn and Chansey combo as well. It takes down the sweepers of other teams and is basically a stall breaker. If the opponent even dares to stall, Infernape takes them down. Overheat is less of a Juggernaut move and more of an entry move. Come in, fry some ass than kick and punch some ass after that. However a strong exit has sometimes happened. The EV spread promotes physical usage however Overheats great power at some times doesnt need Special investment

Overheat as said above is a juggernaut move and entry move, revealling this is a mixape is no concern to me at all. That way instead of me being pressured into avoiding risk, they are instead. Coming off STAB and sometimes Sun and even Blaze ability, you will be lucky to not have the opponent's ashes not be disintegrated and pulverized. Close Combat is a strong and the primary STAB move, it grants great power with no drawbacks to concern Infernape, it hits foe Tyrnaitar and Politoed if I need to at least weaken it. Stone Edge will hit the odd likes of Thundurus, Tornadus, Gyarados and even Salamence. Grass Knot is there to dent Hippowdon and possibly KO if taken previous damage, however a possible exchange with U-turn to KO Celebi and give me an advantage to play a mind game with the opponent by possibly bringing in Zoroark (disguised as something else) before they switch in. However Mach Punch is also there in case Gliscor dies in order to counter Excadrill or at least KO if damaged before hand.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Sand Stream
Careful 252 HP/6 Atk/252 Sp.Def
~Pursuit
~Stone Edge
~Crunch
~Superpower

Snorlax, Chansey, Blissey? Nah man look at this beast, boasting 404 HP and massive Sp.Def stat thanks to Sandstorm you might aswell throw away your pink blobs and sleeping bears and whatnot. Why? Because this thing can actually hit hard, this is the true definition of a tank, takes hits and hits hard back. This guy counters the Lati@s that my Infernape well and truly fears and takes care of pretty much any special attacker, this guy can take unboosted Focus Blasts from Reiunculus and hit back with Crunch (in fact TTar is faster so a lot of the time Tyranitar will beat Reiunculus

Pursuit is to stop escaping Gengars and Latis and crap like that, basically, you cant run and you cant hide either, because Tyranitar is gonna hunt ya down! Crunch is powerful yet reliable STAB and Stone Edge is a more powerful but less reliable STAB, both capable of denting and crippling many tanks, and KOes a lot of sweepers as well. Superpower will put an end to Excadrill because Ttar can survive unboosted Earthquake. Superpower is also used for enemy Ttar which a lot of the time lack Superpower and try to take me on with pitiful Earhtquake. This pokemon is a counter to the more older threats as mentioned above, however with the intro to the new fighters of Gen V we have to counter such, which is why I have the pretty much ultimate counter of all things physical, Gliscor

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Posion Heal
Impish 252 HP/252 Def/6 Sp.Def
~Substitute
~Swords Dance
~Earthquake
~Stone Edge/Crunch

This set is a set we know and love but with a twist, Substitute, it allows me to scout for moves, get a Swords Dance up on occasions as well, it also allows me to feign this pokemon as Zoroark himself, this you will notice is a recurring theme within my team, that is Substitute. Its on 3 pokemon so far and Zoroark will have it too, mind games? Yes. However this sham will only work on first turn because once Gliscor will get its Toxic Orb activated and yeah. However for Gengar it is easier to feign. Its EVs give me physical bulk to the max, it occasionally is able to set up a Sub, get hit but the sub wont break, this allows me to set SD up and sweep. I dont need no Roost, because Poison Heal does the job, its Ice weakness is covered by Tyranitar (most attacks for Ice are special) and Infernape. The Vampire bat is more bulky than you think, and yeah Weavile is basically non-existant anymore. And because this is Wifi people are more reluctant to try new things straight away.

Substitute is there to hide behind while they struggle to take it down, Posion Heal = More Subs = Profit. Swords Dance isnt a move I plan on using unless I can, the real pupose of this is to stop Excadrill in its tracks and set the hell up. And at +2 Attack its gonna hit hard EVs or no EVs. Earthquake is an excellent STAB move, great power and potential to 2HKO and even OHKO a lot of pokemon that counter my team. This guy counters Fighting types, so if your Mienshao or even Conkledurr your not getting past this guys unsually hard exterior. And even if you break through it your still gonna get hit by physics-defying moves such as EQ. Stone Edge is for coverage and takes place with the infamous EQ + SE combo. It hits what Earthquake cant, however its walled by Bronzong completely, this is why I am considering Crunch, this can even feign Zoroark as well

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Multiscale
Brave 252 HP/192 Atk/64 Def
~Dragon Claw/Outrage
~Roost
~Thunderbolt/Thunder
~Earthquake

This new gen has provided Dragonite with a rather golden ability, Multiscale. With this Dragonite will be able to take its weaknesses easier and basically wall neutral hits. Roost will allow me to use Multiscale again, same with Leftovers if I havent taken damage, this increases Dragonites ability to be an ass. Its nature allows me to hit across the board rather respectably with no defensive drawbacks, its ev spread allows me to keep respectable bulk, while keeping a good hitting power. Dragonite has a rather high HP stat to abuse as well.

Dragon Claw is a rather weak yet potential STAB move for Dragonite, Outrage is a plausible option for its much greater power, however being locked in than confused isnt something a tank wants to do. This is because it opens me up to Scizors which can set up SD, or even Ferrothorn as I hit feebly while it sets up a Sub. Roost is to keep multiple Multiscales happening and gives me a good instant recovery with a bonus of removing an Ice weakness which is a potential help from HP Ice from Reiunculus (lol) or Ice Beam from Slowbro among others. Thunderbolt is used to take care of Rain teams, with Kingdra covered with Dragon Claw/Outrage. Politoed and Gyarados are taken care of Thunderbolt/Thunder however Thunder is a potential due to Rain being up, however like Gengar it risks needing to use it while sand is up. Earthquake is to hit Excadrill and its team mates while hitting Ninetals to boot

So there they are, not only rate my team, but rate my presentaton so I can edit and improve please.​

Potential Replacements:
~Infernape: Seems kind of meh in my team
~Alakazam, might replace with Physcial Defense Zapdos​

Replacements:
Dragonite>Zoroark complete​

bump. Come on I really put my time into this thread unlike the others that Ive seen that are bumping mine down

definitely remove tyranitar for something better. I mean yeah it has pretty good HP and pretty good SpDef but have you seen how many weaknesses it has, with that taken into consideration i would definitely change tyranitar, in comparison to chansey or blissey or any decent special wall, this is bad

Sorry man, but Im keeping Ttar, its only weakness I actually worry about is its Fighting weakness, the thing is its covered in all forms by Gengar and Gliscor

But I have a suggestion for myself,
Dragonite>Zoroark?

Hey man, looks like a cool team.
I don't have time for a full rate right now, so I'll come back later.
But at first sight I notice some problems, like you have nothing to switch into a water type attack. So the Dragonite might indeed be good alternative for Zoroark.

Just one suggestion. Add Pain Split on Gengar, or take Sub off him completely; with life orb, sandstorm and SR he won't be around long, let alone if he's losing 25% of his health on a useless sub. Pain Split allows decent recovery (and better longevity) but taking Sub off completely gives you more offensive options. Either way, do something about it.

Really?
How about a Sub+Pain Split set, possibly with Black Sludge?

And yes Im about to change Zoroark for Dragonite in a moment

you have 3 water weaknesses and no water resistances. Drizzle teams will tear you apart.

Adamant LO gyarados with 1 DD outspeeds and can OHKO everything you have in rain. Your only hope is to get rid of rain with ttar, sacrifice him, then kill it with a stone edge from gliscor.

e: out of rain, LO waterfall from +1 gyarados does 96% - 113% to your gliscor, so even he probably wouldn't be able to stop it.

you have 3 water weaknesses and no water resistances. Drizzle teams will tear you apart.

Adamant LO gyarados with 1 DD outspeeds and can OHKO everything you have in rain. Your only hope is to get rid of rain with ttar, sacrifice him, then kill it with a stone edge from gliscor.
Umm, you do know gyara doesn't get a speed boost in rain, right? Ruining the rain won't help his team at all (bar reducing the power of water type moves). That said, Gyara is a threat. I think replacing Alakazam with a tank Zapdos covers up your gyara weakness nicely.
Yes, do run SubSplit; it is very powerful and quite underestimated.

I dont have an efficient Damage Calculator so for that some stuff might be a bit off.

Dragonite then is a definite, it can take Ice Fang because of Multiscale as well and revenge with Thunder (if Rain is up) or just destroy it with Outrage, Life Orb DD Gyarados arent bulky enough to withstand one after LO damage.

I can tell you that Gengar, Gliscor and Tyranitar and Alakazam are pokemon I want to stay. Infernape is meh, but he is still good.

Next suggestion,
Choice Scarf Cloud Nine Lickilicky>Infernape?

Umm, you do know gyara doesn't get a speed boost in rain, right? Ruining the rain won't help his team at all (bar reducing the power of water type moves). That said, Gyara is a threat. I think replacing Alakazam with a tank Zapdos covers up your gyara weakness nicely.
Yes, do run SubSplit; it is very powerful and quite underestimated.
Yes, I know. 1 DD gives gyara enough speed to outrun everything on his team. The rain boost gives him a 50% boost to waterfall, guaranteeing a KO on gliscor (nothing else can take a +1 waterfall). Also gliscor doesn't work too well at dealing with gyara. Stone edge does about 50% to him, so your best bet for killing gyara with this setup is to hope that you get him below 30% or so while he DDs. Not possible with -1 infernape or -1 gliscor though, so they are both pretty safe for gyara to switch into.

I dont have an efficient Damage Calculator so for that some stuff might be a bit off.

Dragonite then is a definite, it can take Ice Fang because of Multiscale as well and revenge with Thunder (if Rain is up) or just destroy it with Outrage, Life Orb DD Gyarados arent bulky enough to withstand one after LO damage.

I can tell you that Gengar, Gliscor and Tyranitar and Alakazam are pokemon I want to stay. Infernape is meh, but he is still good.

Next suggestion,
Choice Scarf Cloud Nine Lickilicky>Infernape?
I don't agree with the gliscor/tyranitar wall at all. Your walls shouldn't share a weakness, especially when no one else on your team can safely switch in on it. Dragonite would deal with gyarados nicely. You don't need to give it thunder as tbolt or tpunch will ohko it easily. Don't rely on multi-scale though, as drizzle teams will always carry stealth rocks with them and you have no rapid spinner.

Man I wish I had a damage calculator, its pretty amazing how Tyranitar can take Surfs and Ice Beams Gliscor fears. But yeah the only weakness they share is Water, and since that is a dominant type in the metagame I might as well do something about it. Gyarados is something I dont like at all.

New Potential replacements

Phys Def Zapdos>Alakazam
Pain Split+Sub Gengar>Sub+3 Attacks Gengar

tyranitar is great at soaking up special water moves, but neither is very good at dealing with the physical ones. Gyarados is by far the most common you'll see, but choice band azumarill and kingdra are huge threats as well.

Well, looks like zapdos decision is looking stronger by the moment, CB Azumarill isnt something Id like, Dragonite can take it down, but it needs to switch in when a pokemon has died, which I dont want to do. Zapdos is needing one more approval though

Zapdos could work. +1 LO gyarados does 86% - 101% to max def/hp zapdos in rain, so it would still 1hko with stealth rocks. If you could get rid of rain or get rid of stealth rocks, zapdos would be fine. I think something that resists water would be a little better though (like dragonite).

I just noticed, who the hell will Gyarados set up on, its not scaring anyone on my team, Choice Specs Kazam is going to decimate it, its only small chance it will set up on, is Infernape and it is still threatened by Stone Edge, weakning it, giving Gliscor+Tyranitar to wreck rain and kill it

-1 gliscor can't 2hko it with stone edge. -1 Infernape can only 2hko with stone edge around 60% of the time, and he will never 2HKO if gyarados switches in on a fire or fighting move (he probably will). You only have one shot to take gyarados down, because if he DDs on the switch, anything you switch to dies in 1 hit (gliscor dies for sure if rocks are up).

ttar doesnt synergize with multi scale nite, try choice band dragonite with exspeed and stone edge (in place of roost and thunder) to mantain bulk and to have a safe switch to gyara

just stopping in to say, that this team especially, needs Stealth rock. You could put it on Tyrannitar over Crunch or Superpower. Another suggestion of mine is replace Infernape with Ferrothorn as you already have a spinblocker, it will help you against Rain Dance teams.

Here's the set:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Iron Barbs
Sassy 252 HP/6 Def/252 Sp.Def
~Spikes/Stealth Rock
~Gyro Ball
~Power Whip
~Leech Seed/Thunder Wave

Good luck bro :)

How about make Infernape anti-lead with Rocks?
Ferrothorn is good, but well this seems like a really bad excuse, but I hate using that pokemon. There was hubbub about it when I started playing 5th gen, used it, it was good but I just hated using it.

Anyway thanks man, but would Zapdos>Alakazam?
And any alternatives to Ferrothorn?

On second thought I have thoughts of Ferrothorn and am now considering his put in, not replacing Zapdos for Alakazam however, I want my team to have qualities of bothe offense and defnese but I want more offense because thats my playstyle

To be honest, I like the team, it's offensive and stops stall teams from doing nearly anything, and as uncommon as gyarados is now a day's I wouldn't be too afraid of it either, but my only suggestion is to just go ahead and give infernape mach punch. Other than that, solid team, and good luck with it.

Thanks man, I like this team too :)
Anyways I have to be very persistent, because once I start and get like halfway through, if there is something wrong there is no going back. Why? Because this is Wifi, so yeah.

For my move selections they are as follows:

Gengar: Thunerbolt > Thunder

Infernape: Mach Punch > Grass Knot > U-turn (However I should be able to switch between these moves easily due to unlimited TM use)

Alakazam: Psychic > Energy Ball > Grass Knot

Gliscor: Stone Edge > Crunch

Dragonite: Outrage > Dragon Claw, Thunderbolt > Thunder

I am happy with this team, Alakazam > Zapdos because I dont want another SE weak guy.

IMPORTANT: Choice SCarf Alakzam > Choice Specs?
Allows me to smash Excadrill and +1 Gyarados
However will Modest Choice Scarf outspeed Adamant Excadrill?

If you have Magic Guard Alazakam you might as well use Life Orb instead of Choice Specs (you take no recoil, you could switch moves and you could fake a choice item).

Hmmm, that is excellent to hear, hopefully he is released very soon, very soon indeed.
However there are chances he will never be realeased (or very late), so no need to change any set either. Thanks for the info though

I would suggest Reunclus over Alakazam for clean-up, Reunclus with Trick Room is great at cleaning up, especially since Alazakam is frail and Magic Guard on him hasn't been released yet.

Gengar should use Pain Split over Thunderbolt so that he can regen and piss off walls.

Multiscale Dragonite works best when not in sand and with a rapid spinner so take that into consideration and you might want to replace him for either a different dragon or move some others on your team.

In general, your team will have a hard time switching into attacks. Infernape and especially Alakazam have a hard time switching into resistances and if you mispredict a fighting or ground attack on Gengar you're screwed. I would suggest replacing one if not both of them. I would suggest a grass pokemon (like Ferrothorn) to help wall water attacks (your only resist is dragonite).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)