Project: Concise (C&C) Full Discussion

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It's about time we started to get crackalackin' on this. Lately people have noticed with the introduction of the Team Option add-ons, DPPt add-ons, and the addition of Pokemon that work well in Ubers that everything has practically become a novel. I'll show an example:

Heatran Analysis a.k.a. "Heatran Novel"

I have already asked Aldaron, who said it was alright for me to lead it. Flashstorm asked to be co-leader for this, so I was alright with that too. I'd like to start this up ASAP as well.

So I guess if I'm asking if I can press the "Go" button or wait a bit.

---

Also, with the Uber metagame discovering many new Pokemon on top of other minor things, I'd like to ask if it is possible to implement an Uber tab and OU tab if possible. If not, then I'll figure something out.

EDIT: After serious discussion, we want to try this:

- Keep the detailed analysis.
- Write "summarized" versions of the set

And have two different tabs for them. We can probably clean up some of the detailed ones that look too long as well.

I believe Colin say he would work on the tab feature when Shoddy 2 was done (correct me if I am wrong), although I am sure if any of our other programmers get time on their hands, they could do it.

But yeah, lets get this done, the analysis probably scare people away currently with their daunting size.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have already started going through all of my analyses, and making them more concise. As soon as I get the requirements for the conciseness, I will get them ready for posting around late october and november. In Giratina-O's case, I may simply rewrite the first set to make it more concise.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I hate to suggest programming solutions to this problem, since my programming time is filled with other things -- just like the other Smogon programmers. But, perhaps we could allow each section to have a "Summary" and "Detail". The Summary would always be displayed, and the Detail would be displayed only if the user "expands" it on the page (exact page controls TBD). Of course, this would require changes to the site template, but it would also require a bunch of Summaries to be written. Not necessarily every section of every analysis on the site, but I suspect it is needed in lots of places. It's a big project.

I think the Smogon analyses need to be restructured to accommodate the depth of information and attention to detail exercised by C&C writers these days. The current template is not sufficient any more. Yes, we need concise, readable analyses that are useful for casual readers. But, I also think we should have in-depth information for people that want to investigate further. The only way to provide that much variety, is to rework the template and navigation.

Unfortunately, my suggestion requires a certain amount of programming assistance -- which is in short supply around here. But, perhaps we can get this "on this list" and begin working towards it. Even if the template was changed today, there is still a huge writing component to my suggestion. That work could commence very soon in C&C.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
K, so I'm going to add one or two more things that could be asked:

- HG | SS moves won't be implemented yet. I won't allow these without some time to test these, as we agreed on in the last thread.
- As far as the Uber | OU stuff, I believe we should keep these as minimal notation as possible until something is taken care of.
- UU Analyses should probably be left untouched for now, if only because HG | SS additions make it wonky to write about.
- Start-up on this project ASAP.

Any final reasons not to press go? I can easily start this Mon.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
I object.

HGSS additions are going to start after we organize C&C next week, so it would be kind of annoying to have stuff done before those that need to be revamped again. I'd also like to see this reconciled with Doug's ideas and have a sample. Take one of Heatran's sets, or whatever other long set you're comfortable with, and post what to you would be satisfactory.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Waiting is fine by me anyway. I'm just saying this needs to be done ASAP because seriously, this is long.

EDIT: After discussion, I'm siding with the tab idea and making us have a goal of writing "summarized" sets to back up the in-detail analyses. So the old ones will be kept while we have ones that ease the eyes or simply summarize what it can do.

EDIT2: Summary example set -

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Explosion
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Ice / Dragon Pulse
nature: Naive / Rash
item: Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The set's main intention is to act as a revenge killer. With a Choice Scarf, Heatran obtains 417 Speed, which surpasses most Pokemon that don't use Choice Scarf and random Pokemon such as Adamant Gyarados with a Dragon Dance under its belt. Fire Blast and Earth Power has decent coverage; only being resisted by Pokemon such as Gyarados and Salamence. Choosing between Hidden Powers is if you fear Swampert or Salamence. The unfortunate news is Scarf Heatran misses out on a Dragon Dance Salamence; however, it isn't a bad option considering it prevents other variants of Salamence from denting the team. After Heatran has expired much of its use or if a Pokemon such as Blissey is giving the team trouble, simply use Explosion. If Hidden Power isn't striking and you prefer to kill both Salamence and Kingdra with one stone, Dragon Pulse accomplishes that. Flamethrower can be favored over Fire Blast if PP and accuracy are of concern.</p>

---

Didn't really spellcheck | grammarcheck it yet. Mainly here to give you a rough idea.

imperfectluck

Banned deucer.
I also take issue with many of the strategic elements discussed in several of the analyses, as I believe they at times make strategically unsound suggestions. For example, I was glancing over Gyarados today, and I disagree with the statements that Bulky DD Taunt Gyarados has the upper hand vs. Suicune, 'the lower Speed can make a difference against threats such as Starmie' for Payback when Payback should be used to catch things on the switch-in and it's unsound to leave Gyarados in on Starmie. Salac Berry on Gyarados is a gimmick suggestion at best, and in the counters section, Skarmory is listed as a counter yet it suggests that Gyarados switch in, and that Thunder Wave and Will-O-Wisp from Rotom-A seem to be most crippling to Gyarados. It feels like these analyses are lacking in-depth strategic thought behind them.

This is a pretty good idea. Just to get things straight, there is going to be a "Summary" tab, and then the full analysis tab. Then an Ubers tab?

Also, if we are currently writing for project updates, should we write both the full analysis section like we normally would and the summarized one, or are we waiting on the summaries?

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Rather than summarizing anything that seems long, maybe it would be better to try and shorten what we have? I'm sure a lot of the analyses could be made shorter without losing information. For instance, in Heatran

original said:
The idea behind this set is twofold: first of all, Heatran is one of the best Pokémon in the game at forcing switches, due to his nearly universal coverage, great typing, and frequent use of Choice Scarf, so it is not difficult to get a Substitute up. Second, the only Pokemon that are immune to Toxic are Steel-types — easily taken out by Fire Blast and Earth Power — and Poison-types, all of which have either poor Special Defense or a Fire- or Ground-type weakness.

Heatran should be sent out against something that will likely switch out, such as a Celebi or one of the many Steel-types in OU. In consideration of this goal, it is often useful to send Heatran out for the first time after one of your own Pokemon has been KO'd; most players will assume it is holding a Choice Scarf and switch out of the expected speedy attack. Once you have a Substitute up, make your play according to what they switch to. If they for some reason switch in something weak to Fire- or Ground-type attacks, then you attack it, obviously. If they don't, then you are still OK, since most of Heatran's common switch-ins—things like Gyarados, Tyranitar, Salamence, Swampert, and the bulky Water-types—absolutely hate being poisoned. Once you Toxic them and they break your Substitute, you can switch to something to stall out their attacks, and the next time you bring in Heatran your opponent will have at least one fewer counter for it!

Toxic is recommended because it has the greatest coverage of all the options in the last slot, but it isn't that spectacular without a reasonably bulky team to take hits from Pokémon after they have been poisoned. For this reason, several other more specialized options are available if you are running a more offensive team. Explosion is an all-around useful move, carrying the ability to take out Blissey and pretty much anything else your team has trouble with. One of the cool things with Explosion is that almost no one will think to switch to a Ghost-type if you explode with a Substitute up, which just makes it all the more useful (note that a Naive nature should be used with Explosion). A certain Hidden Power can also be selected if you want to be able to quickly take out any one of either Gyarados, Salamence, or Swampert, instead of slowly waiting for Toxic to do the job. Finally, Will-O-Wisp is possibly more useful than Toxic against Gyarados, Salamence, Tyranitar, and some others, but it kills even slower than Toxic (and can even be circumvented via Recover or Roost), and the 75% accuracy is a pretty big turn off.

It may seem strange to use a +Speed nature without a Choice Scarf, but in a metagame where Heatran is as popular as it is, max Speed can be a huge aid. With full Speed, Heatran will attack before +Speed Breloom and Metagross, and before neutral Speed Gyarados, Dragonite, and Heracross; and it will nearly always outspeed the defensive base 100 Speed Pokemon. Any of these could easily OHKO or status Heatran, so getting the jump on them with Substitute or Toxic is often crucial to the outcome of a match.

This Heatran works best when paired with Pokémon who can repeatedly take hits thrown at Heatran and pose a threat to Heatran's counters. Such Pokémon include those commonly found on bulky offense teams.

In order to decide possible partners to Heatran, you have to consider which Pokémon are capable of threatening it. While Substitute greatly reduces the advantage your opponent can gain by switching in an appropriate counter, you will more often than not be forced to switch out after they break your Substitute. Common examples of such Pokémon include Gyarados, who will break your Substitute with Waterfall and then Dragon Dance, and Latias, which can set up multiple Calm Minds with ease due to Heatran's lack of coverage needed to hit it. Both Pokémon are, thankfully, effectively hindered by Toxic, lessening the threat they can pose to your team. Gyarados's best counters which can pose a threat in return are Celebi and Scarfed Pokémon which resist Waterfall or are immune to Earthquake, such as Choice Scarf Latias. Celebi will have trouble retaliating against boosted Ice Fangs, but can effectively stall out Gyarados with Recover until the effects of Toxic finish it off; however, you must be careful to avoid getting hit by Bounce, should Gyarados be carrying the move. Calm Mind Celebi makes a great choice for a bulky offense team, as it not only counters specific threats, but can also pose as a threat of its own after a few boosts; the Tinkerbell set is also a worthwhile option if your team relies on slower sweepers who appreciate paralyzed opponents. If using a Scarfed Pokémon as your check to Gyarados, it should come equipped with either an Electric-type attack or an attack with a high Base Power; in Latias's case, it has access to both Thunderbolt and Draco Meteor to hit Gyarados with. You should also make sure to watch out for possible Pursuit users your opponent might be carrying, especially Scizor and Tyranitar, which take little damage from attacks likely to be thrown at Gyarados. Latias can be handled by most Steel-types outside of Heatran, particularly those with a high Attack stat, such as Metagross, Scizor, and Jirachi. Metagross can either set up Agility or fire STAB Meteor Mashes to keep Latias at bay. Jirachi can either use Iron Head repeatedly if running Choice Scarf, or use a combination of Body Slam and Iron Head to weaken Latias. Scizor has both U-turn and Pursuit to murder Latias with. As always, make sure to watch out for Magnezone, a likely partner whose sole role is to take out Steel-types which threaten Latias. On an added note, some Latias pack Refresh, so don't over-depend on Toxic to take out Latias.

This Heatran set will also have trouble against stall, particularly because Spikes and Stealth Rock will limit the number of times it can switch in. To make it worse, Gyarados with Rest, and even Blissey, two Pokémon commonly found on stall teams, will wall this set with ease, as they are unhindered by your attempts to poison them. As such, an effective mixed sweeper is recommend as a partner to Heatran, particularly those specifically designed to weaken stall teams. Classic MixMence, Salamence's most effective wall-breaking set, makes a fantastic partner to Heatran, especially since they cover each other's weaknesses extremely well; Heatran takes Ice- and Dragon-type attacks thrown at Salamence, while it can comfortably take Water-type attacks along with an immunity to Ground-type attacks aimed at Heatran. Be prepared to rely on prediction, such as using Brick Break on a Blissey switch-in, when using MixMence, as any expert stall player will normally be prepared for common wall breakers. There are also some other worthwhile options you can consider as well. A defensive Starmie can come in on Water-type attacks aimed at Heatran with ease and take the opportunity to use Rapid Spin to eliminate any present entry hazards. Running a defensive Starmie also allows you to have a suitable counter to Gyarados, one of the biggest threats to Heatran. Additionally, Starmie is one of the few Spinners in the game that can actually threaten Rotom-A with its STAB attack of choice and decent Special Attack stat.

If you want Heatran to run another attack instead of Toxic, such as the listed Explosion, it is often a good idea to pair Heatran with a user of Toxic Spikes. However, Toxic Spikes are unable to affect non-grounded Pokémon, so Toxic should not be completely dismissed, even with Toxic Spikes support. As mentioned before, Roserade is probably your best bet in laying down Toxic Spikes, but Smeargle is also a good option if you want something to lay down Stealth Rock as well. The fourth slot is mainly used to hit Pokemon that will attempt to wall you, so if you don't like the drawbacks to using Explosion, then Dragon Pulse and Hidden Power Electric are both decent options as well, but it should be noted that neither of the two moves will be even close to being as helpful and reliable as Explosion would normally be. Also, when using either of these attacks, it is highly recommended that you pack a teammate capable of countering the Pokemon you are able to come in and set-up on the attack of your choice. For example, Gyarados will be capable of setting up on Heatran running Dragon Pulse, so running a Celebi or Starmie (or a Scarfed revenge killer such as Latias) would be almost necessary in countering Gyarados.

An additional option that this Heatran can utilize is to run Roar over the given options for the fourth slot. Roar is best used on a team which revolves around spreading damage through entry hazards, often normally regarded as a "stall-based balanced" team. Such a team utilizes heavy hitters with valuable resistances, like Heatran itself, to force switches and spread even more damage with the addition of Roar into the set. In this case, Heatran's primary partner is one who is capable of at least laying down either Spikes or Stealth Rock. In the case of Spikes, Smeargle, Forretress, and Skarmory are all decent options for reliably laying down the essential entry hazards. Smeargle is best used as a lead, where it can use Spore to immobilize the opposing lead (unless it runs Taunt or is not Choice Scarf Jirachi) and nearly always lay down at least two layers of Spikes. Skarmory and Forretress are capable on coming in on many of the attacking types found in OU due to their valuable Steel-typing, giving them ample opportunity to lay down Spikes. The choice between Skarmory and Forretress is slightly arbitrary, as both have their advantages; Skarmory has access to Roost and Whirlwind, while Forretress can provide the team with Rapid Spin capabilities. As for Stealth Rock, there are plenty of viable users to choose from, but Swampert will more than likely be your best choice, as it pairs well with Heatran type-wise and also has access to Roar itself. Next, you will also want to pair Heatran with other Pokemon capable of taking advantage of entry hazards. Namely, you'll want to at least run a Ghost-type, such as Rotom-A, to prevent your entry hazards from being spun away. Apart from that, Latias with Roar is an excellent teammate for Heatran, as both cover each other's weaknesses relatively well and can each beat each other's counters.

As always, Wish support can be used in aiding the overall longevity of Heatran, especially with Substitute taking away 25% of Heatran's health each time it is used. Vaporeon is the best option for this task, as it can easily switch in on Water-type attacks normally aimed at Heatran and even regain its HP in the process, thanks to Water Absorb.
Heatran should be sent out against something that will likely switch out, such as Celebi or a Steel-type. It is often useful to send Heatran out for the first time after your opponent KOs one of your Pokemon; most players assume it has a Choice Scarf and will switch out. This, along with Heatran's powerful offense and great resistances, allows Heatran to easily get up a Substitute. Then Heatran can stall with Toxic, using Fire Blast and Earth Power for the Poison and Steel Pokemon that are immune to it. Most of Heatran's switch ins, like Salamence, Tyranitar, and Water-types, hate being poisoned.

However, Toxic is less effective if your team is not bulky. You can use Explosion, instead, as it takes out most problem Pokemon in one hit. Few players will predict an Explosion coming from a Heatran behind a Substitute, so they are unlikely to bring in something to take it, like a Ghost. Alternatively, Heatran can use Hidden Power to take out Pokemon like Salamence, Gyarados, or Swampert, if you want a more offensive alternative to Toxic. Heatran can Roar on defensive teams that have Stealth Rock and Spikes. Another option is Will-O-Wisp, but it kills even slower than Toxic and has worse accuracy in exchange for weakening physical moves. If you want to use a move other than Toxic, it is helpful to pair Heatran with Toxic Spikes, but keep in mind that they won't hit Gyarados or Salamence.

It may seem strange to use a +Speed nature without a Choice Scarf, but due to Heatran's popularity, max Speed can be a huge aid. Heatran can attack before +Speed Breloom and Metagross; neutral nature Gyarados, Dragonite, and Heracross; and defensive base 100 Pokemon. These can all OHKO Heatran, so being faster is crucial.

This Heatran in particular benefits from Wish. This is because you'll be wanting to switch into attacks often, and you are losing HP due to using Substitute. Vaporeon is probably the best option for this due to Water Absorb.

Paragraphs 5-7 are completely useless. #5 says something that's true of every Pokemon, as it's the equivalent of "Use Pokemon that beat Pokemon that beat this Pokemon". The next two get more specific, but it's basically a huge wall of text that says exactly what the "Team Options" section says. In other words, it's completely redundant. There is no need to repeat yourself like that. The paragraph after that (#8) is rehashing some of what was said in original paragraph three. For this reason, I just moved all that information into the same paragraph (#2 in this rewrite). This eliminates redundant information, and groups like information together to allow it to be better understood. The rest of the paragraph is more "Use Pokemon that pair well with Heatran", and is thus redundant when considering "Team Options". The paragraph about Roar Heatran was shortened into a single sentence. The rest of it is either "Use these Pokemon on a stall team!", in which case a link to a stall guide would be more appropriate, or more "These Pokemon pair well with Heatran.", all of which is still true for Heatran in general, meaning it, too belongs in Team Options (and is stated there, making all of that information redundant).

It's always a better option to work on shortening the analyses than summarizing it. Summaries may not be necessary. This particular set's analysis had a lot of redundant information (Team Options already said a bulk of this set). The lack of organization (several paragraphs spread about on the topic of what to use in that fourth slot) meant introductory phrases had to be restated, further increasing length unnecessarily. I just reduced this section to 18% of the word count without removing any information from the analysis.

/edit: uploaded changes to site.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree with obi. I think that making a whole new tab just to facilitate these gargantuan analyses is unnecessary work (and I feel like few people will read the huge tab when everything you need to know is in the Summary).

I feel like it'll be a lot easier if we just shorten the analyses we have.

idea: I think part of the reason why the analyses appear so daunting is that there are so many sets and it's hard to figure out which one to read first if trying to fill a particular niche on a team or whatever. an index at the top of the page right under the base stats could make the analyses somewhat easier to navigate.

I also agree with obi / Jimbo because it seems that in the majority of cases, the length of these analyses comes from redundant information, poor organization, extraneous words and phrases, etc. summarizing these analyses does make it easier on the eyes for the casual reader but for anyone who wants to get a more in-depth look at the set, the same problems still exist. I think the best course of action for now is to shorten the analyses we have and see what we think of the results. even if we have summaries, I don't think that's an excuse to have ridiculously long "detailed" set comments so this is something that should be done regardless. then after all the analyses are shortened, if we still think summaries should be implemented, then we can do that.

so summary (lol):
- index of sets on each page
- shorten analyses first
- make summaries later if needed

Sarenji

leaf-faced
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You can also make short analyses shorter.

Word count: 75.89% of obi's, 13.92% of the original.
Character count: 78.10% of obi's, 14.24% of the original.

obi said:
Heatran should be sent out against something that will likely switch out, such as Celebi or a Steel-type. It is often useful to send Heatran out for the first time after your opponent KOs one of your Pokemon; most players assume it has a Choice Scarf and will switch out. This, along with Heatran's powerful offense and great resistances, allows Heatran to easily get up a Substitute. Then Heatran can stall with Toxic, using Fire Blast and Earth Power for the Poison and Steel Pokemon that are immune to it. Most of Heatran's switch ins, like Salamence, Tyranitar, and Water-types, hate being poisoned.

However, Toxic is less effective if your team is not bulky. You can use Explosion, instead, as it takes out most problem Pokemon in one hit. Few players will predict an Explosion coming from a Heatran behind a Substitute, so they are unlikely to bring in something to take it, like a Ghost. Alternatively, Heatran can use Hidden Power to take out Pokemon like Salamence, Gyarados, or Swampert, if you want a more offensive alternative to Toxic. Heatran can Roar on defensive teams that have Stealth Rock and Spikes. Another option is Will-O-Wisp, but it kills even slower than Toxic and has worse accuracy in exchange for weakening physical moves. If you want to use a move other than Toxic, it is helpful to pair Heatran with Toxic Spikes, but keep in mind that they won't hit Gyarados or Salamence.

It may seem strange to use a +Speed nature without a Choice Scarf, but due to Heatran's popularity, max Speed can be a huge aid. Heatran can attack before +Speed Breloom and Metagross; neutral nature Gyarados, Dragonite, and Heracross; and defensive base 100 Pokemon. These can all OHKO Heatran, so being faster is crucial.

This Heatran in particular benefits from Wish. This is because you'll be wanting to switch into attacks often, and you are losing HP due to using Substitute. Vaporeon is probably the best option for this due to Water Absorb.
Heatran should be sent out against something that will likely switch out, such as Celebi or a Steel-type. When coming in after a KO, most players assume Heatran has a Choice Scarf. This, along with Heatran's powerful offense and great resistances, allows Heatran to easily get up a Substitute. Then Heatran can stall with Toxic, using Fire Blast and Earth Power for Poison and Steel Pokemon who are immune to it. Most of Heatran's switch ins, like Salamence, Tyranitar, and Water-types, hate being poisoned.

Toxic is less effective on a frail team. You can use Explosion, instead, as it takes out most problem Pokemon in one hit. Few players predict Explosion from Heatran behind a Substitute, so they are unlikely to bring in a Ghost or Rock to take it. Alternatively, use Hidden Power to take out Pokemon like Salamence, Gyarados, or Swampert. Heatran can Roar on defensive teams with Stealth Rock and Spikes. Another option is Will-O-Wisp, but it kills slower than Toxic and has worse accuracy in exchange for weakening physical moves. If you want to use a move other than Toxic, it is helpful to pair Heatran with Toxic Spikes, but keep in mind Toxic Spikes won't hit Gyarados or Salamence.

A +Speed nature Heatran outspeeds otherwise faster Pokemon, such as +Speed Breloom and Metagross; neutral nature Gyarados, Dragonite, and Heracross; and defensive base 100 Pokemon.

This Heatran benefits from Wish—you'll be switching into attacks often, and you lose HP to Substitute. Vaporeon is a great option due to Water Absorb.

I'm going to have to with obi on the matter that I'd rather go ahead and shorten the analyses instead of making a whole new tab for the more detailed ones. I think we can all agree that no one will bother reading a detailed guide unless we shortened that as well. Making the already written analyses more consise instead of separating them means the reader will be getting the same information without having to click on the new tab (and some newer users probably wouldn't, thus meaning they didn't get all of the information about the Pokémon).

Yes, I wrote the Heatran analysis, and I apologize for making it that long. At the time of writing, I was not aware that this problem would arise, and it didn't until a few weeks of being on-site. So, considering I'm partly responsible for the huge mass of these long analyses, I'd like to help in any way I can.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
As I've stated, I'm all for both really (shorten + summaries) because I think it isn't a bad idea. Perhaps some analyses need some updates; some haven't been really brushed upon since Platinum or even before that (Gyarados for example). Either way, I think many of us agreed on having the "summary" version too, which allows those detailed ones to have their place of stay. We've also had to decide on what to do with OU and Uber-like Pokemon anyway.

I guess, in short, we could do with both the summaries and trimming some of the fat from other analyses.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This is simple: make sure the in-detail analyses aren't fluff.

We should definitely have in-detail analyses and summarized tabs, but just because we have a summarized tab doesn't mean we should have fluff in the in-detail one.

The project should be twofold; writing the summarized analyses, AND reducing fluff in the in-detailed ones WHILE keep saturation of detail rich.

Since we all seem to agree that at least either shortening the on-site analyses or adding a summary tab (or preferably both) is the best course of action to take with this project, that just leaves us with one question: When do we start? I actually think we could begin the project within a few days in the OU and Uber tiers where HG/SS changes are at a minimum.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Since we all seem to agree that at least either shortening the on-site analyses or adding a summary tab (or preferably both) is the best course of action to take with this project, that just leaves us with one question: When do we start? I actually think we could begin the project within a few days in the OU and Uber tiers where HG/SS changes are at a minimum.
As soon as we do the C&C cleanup and probably when HG | SS stuff is a bit more stable. I might simply put UU on hold altogether, but OU and Ubers can definitely be worked on when we get all that taken care of.

So we're not starting "right away" I guess. I want to wait until C&C gets its organization fixed which shouldn't be long.

imo we should make a policy to apply this to all HGSS analysises and when those are complete start this project full-tilt.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I agree that it would be good to both shorten some of our completely over-worded analyses and have a summarised tab as opposed to just shortening our analyses.

Just checking, what should exactly be in the summarised tabs? I'm under the impression that it would just contain clear and concise description of the set and what it does. There will obviously be lots of important information that will be in the detailed analysis and not in the summarised section e.g. team options. At the same time though, I wouldn't want the analysis to be too short. The reader should still be able to reasonably induce from the analysis what to use the set for. Looking at your Heatran example Colonel M, it just describes why to use a Scarf and why to use each move. That's it. Not even something like "Heatran checks Scizor, Rotom etc." I know it's a very rough example, but it says little on how to use Heatran as a revenge killer and to check Pokemon.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Isn't that all that's necessary though? I mean, I can add some of the minor details like "This can check most Lucario and Scizor provided Heatran doesn't switch in" anyway. It's a rough draft that's willing to take suggestions.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We should shorten first. It makes no sense to summarize as we're shortening articles (or before), because if we can get losses like I got with that Heatran example, then a summary is needless, because the analysis is no longer a novel.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Alright, here's what we'll do:

First, we'll at least make it a goal to shorten what we have on-site. This shouldn't be overly difficult like Obi and others have stated. As for those that have Uber mentions... I might have to say hold off on those (i.e. Theorymon's Uber stuff). We definitely need tabs for those, so it's only a matter of finding someone to program an Uber tab for us.

After shortening some of the analyses, we'll have a poll that will ask if we should add a "summarized" version of them or not. Simply put: if yes, we do it. If no, then we don't. Fairly simple here. We'll decide on a basis of what the "summarized" version will look like, etc. if it comes down to it.

So are we alright on simply shortening these novels for now?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)