Prinplup (QC: 0/3) DROPPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empress

Pi are not round. Pi r squared.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Prinplup
QC: 0/3
GP: 0/2

Overview
########

+ A Defog user that is not weak to Stealth Rock
+ Can both remove and provide entry hazards in the form of Defog and Stealth Rock, respectively
+ Decent bulk and defensive typing backed by Eviolite
+ Good wall in the mostly physical PU metagame
- Extremely passive, so it is very much Taunt bait
- Very slow
- No reliable recovery, which is a liability for a defensive Pokemon
- Often finds itself outclassed as a Defog user

Physically Defensive
########
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Defog
move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: Scald
move 4: Toxic
ability: Torrent
item: Eviolite
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
nature: Bold

Moves
========

- Defog removes entry hazards, and Prinplup is a good user of the move because it is not weak to Stealth Rock
- Stealth Rock allows Prinplup to set entry hazards as well as remove them, solidifying its role as a supporter
- Scald prevents Prinplup from becoming Taunt bait, and the burn chance can give physical attackers even bigger headaches
- Toxic puts a timer on offensive and defensive Pokemon alike

Set Details
========

- Standard EVs and nature for a physically defensive Pokemon
- Eviolite is a staple on NFEs, and Prinplup greatly appreciates the boost to its bulk

Usage Tips
========

- Keep Prinplup away from Taunt users, as relying on a somewhat weak Scald to inflict burns is not an optimal situation
- Take advantage of its bulk to switch in and clear/set up entry hazards multiple times throughout the battle
- Prinplup is somewhat easy to wallbreak due to its lack of recovery, so be cautious around strong special attackers

Team Options
========

- Lickilicky, the best Wish passer in PU, makes it harder for wallbreakers to wear down Prinplup
- Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock, such as Scyther, greatly appreciate the entry hazard removal that this set provides

Other Options
########

- You can use a specially defensive spread on Prinplup, but physical defense is more useful in the physically oriented PU metagame
- Ice Beam can be used to give Prinplup a fighting chance against Grass-types, but it has low Special Attack and lacks room for the move

Checks & Counters
########

**Pokemon with Taunt**: Misdreavus and Barbaracle enjoy hitting Prinplup with a faster Taunt, preventing it from setting up or removing entry hazards.

**Offensive Electric-types**: Pokemon such as Raichu and Rotom-F hit Prinplup super effectively on its weaker defensive side, 2HKOing it in the process.

**Bulky Grass-types**: Roselia and Tangela wall Prinplup unless it carries the rare Ice Beam. Roselia has the added bonus of being immune to Toxic, so Prinplup can't put a timer on it.

**Wallbreakers**: Prinplup's passiveness and lack of recovery and means that a wallbreaker, such as Chatot, can easily set up on it and take it out. However, physical wallbreakers, such as Leafeon, must be careful of a stray Scald burn.

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
wh0sy0urpapa this is really lacking in detail, and if i were to go over it fully i would basically be writing the whole analysis.

I really dont see why you keep mentioning taunt when it doesnt screw it over too badly, seeing as you arent staying in on a misdreavus and prinplup is a pretty shitty lead. If you were predicting the barbaracle lead you would use something to outspeed and 2hko it.

Empress

Pi are not round. Pi r squared.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
wh0sy0urpapa this is really lacking in detail, and if i were to go over it fully i would basically be writing the whole analysis.

I really dont see why you keep mentioning taunt when it doesnt screw it over too badly, seeing as you arent staying in on a misdreavus and prinplup is a pretty shitty lead. If you were predicting the barbaracle lead you would use something to outspeed and 2hko it.
Ya know what, I actually don't know that much about Prinplup, so in hindsight I'm probably the wrong person to be writing this. I'll drop this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)