post creepy/supernatural stories/urban myths

The phenomenon of the "Lavender Town Tone" is a legend that involves a bizarre spate of medical cases and deaths from around the country that have been connected to the "Pocket Monsters" (Pokémon) series of games, in particular the first two games of the series, "Red" and "Green". Though the event is largely unheard of due to disclosure laws for companies based in the Kyoto Prefecture, there is a large amount of information that has been brought into the open by a number of dedicated individuals, including 関 内直 (Seki Uchitada) 伊勢 満朝 (Ise Mitsutomo) and 佐藤 治情 (Satou Harue), to whom this page is dedicated. Thanks also go out to 安藤 景忠 (Andou Kagetada) for providing images and animated .gifs of the visual phenomena.
This analysis will discuss the other phenomena that is often confused with the "Lavender Town Tone", known as "White Hand Sprite", "Ghost Animation" and "buried alive model", as well as the semi-related developer-tag that was inserted into the game, and how to safely perform these "easter eggs" in post-first wave cartridges.

History of the Game [$HIG]
The first cases of the "Lavender Town Tone" and associated events were reported a few months after the release of of "Pocket Monsters Red and Green" for the handheld "Game Boy" videogame console. These videogames were wildly popular with children between the ages of seven and twelve (their core demographic), which was no doubt one of the reasons why the "Lavender Town Tone" had the level of severity that it did. In the game, the player takes on the role of a "Trainer", whose task it is to capture, tame and train wild creatures called "Pocket Monsters" for battle. These games, and the two newest additions to the series, "Pocket Monsters Gold and Silver", an anime, manga, figurines, a collectible card-game and home console games have resulted in Pocket Monsters becoming a multi-billion dollar franchise.
In one part of the game, the Trainer comes to a small, out-of-the-way place called "Lavender Town" (シオンタウン). This town is one of the smallest hamlets in the game (aside from the Trainer's own home town), and possesses very few of the services available to the Trainer in every other city in the game - indeed, the location would be unremarkable were it not for the "Pokémon Tower" (ポケモンタワー) located there - a colossal building that holds the graves of hundreds of deceased Pokémon.
It is theorised that, because of this location in the game, at least two hundred children lost their lives, and many more developed sudden illnesses and afflictons - and this does not consider the vast waves of unreported illnesses or deaths whose cause went unnoticed.

History of the Pathology [$HIP]
It was not until Spring/Summer of 1996 that the cases that would eventually become linked to the Lavender Town Tone began to surface. The earliest record of the acknowledgement of the effects of the Lavender Town Town that the author could find came from an internal report made in June 1996 by the company Game Freak Inc. (株式会社ゲームフリーク), which was then leaked by one of its former employees, Ms. Satou Harue. In it, an employee gives a list of names, dates and symptoms - records of children between the ages of 7 and 12 who had suffered various medical problems as a result of playing Pocket Monsters Red and Green versions. Some records are listed below, with the full listing in Appendix A [here]. (It should be noted that entries in the Appendix also include symptoms borne not from the "Lavender Town Tone" [an audio phenomenon] but from the so-called "White Hand Sprite", "Ghost Animation" and "buried alive model", all of which were visual phenomena that provoked similar but distinct symptoms. More details on Part Two [here]).

京极 勝女; April 12 1996 (11). Obstructive sleep apnea, severe migraines, otorrhagia, tinnitus.
千葉 広幸: May 23 1996 (12). General irritability, insomnia, addiction to videogame, nosebleeds. Developed into violent streaks against others and eventually himself. [自殺]
桃井 久江: April 27 1996 (11). Cluster headaches, irritability. Eventually took mixed painkillers. [自殺]
吉長 為真: March 4 1996 (7). Migraines, sluggish and slow behaviour, unresponsiveness. Developed into deafness, and went missing. Body discovered beside road April 20 1996. [死出]

The document that was circulated internally was the first time that these incidents had been connected with the Pocket Monsters videogames - until then, the cause had not been discovered or diagnosed by medical professionals. Indeed, it is uncertain how the company themselves managed to find the cases related to the event without seeking advice from health services.

Pathology Detail -- "Lavender Town Tone" [$PAT]
The predominant symptoms related to what would become known as the "Lavender Town Town" included headaches and migraines, bleeding from eyes and ears, mood swings and irritability, addiction to the games, unprovoked violence, withdrawal and unresponsiveness, and in approximately 67% of cases, suicidal tendencies. However, these symptoms only manifested in children between the ages of 7 and 12 years old who had reached the area in game known as "Lavender Town", most of whom were revealed to have been wearing headphones or earphones while playing the game (see Appendix A [here]).
As it turns out, the developers of the Lavender Town area had sought to make an area that would "leave an impression on the player", according to Seki Uchitada, who was a member of the development team. Seki claimed that at the time of development, a number of the team were interested in making Lavender Town a little different to the rest of the game.
"The Pokémon Tower is a visible result of that," Seki told ゲームの次元 ("Game's Dimensions" Magazine) in an interview earlier this year. "That, and the fact that Lavender Town is so different from all the other cities in the game: it is smaller, it has fewer people occupying it, it didn't have a gym... and, of course, the music was very, very eerie. In fact, in the first version of the game, we were told to slightly change the song played in the background of Lavender Town ... because our manager told us it would make children upset. The music used in subsequent versions is different."
Either Seki was unaware of the full impact of the Lavender Town Tone, or was vastly underexaggerating how "upset" children would get - no more is said of the music in the article, but there are mentions of Lavender Town's other macabre features (see below).

What Seki failed to disclose to Game's Dimensions Magazine was that the music used in the first-wave release of Pocket Monsters Red and Green was formulated out of an experiment in "binaural beats": using slightly different frequencies of sound, each frequency played in one ear through earphones or headphones, various psychological effects can be induced upon the listener. In most versions of the first wave releases, this resulted in the player feeling uneasy, apprehensive, and mildly disturbed. However, for upwards of two-hundred children, it provoked a variety of disturbances in the brain that went undetected purely because it was undetectable by fully developed human ears - instead, only children fell victim to the tones , resulting in psychological and physiological problems that in some cases led to death - many of which were suicides. However, the "Lavender Town Tone" only accounts for some of the problems that afflicted those unlucky enough to get first wave cartridges. Though they are not as well known, there are a variety of visual effects used in Lavender Town that also brought about severe medical issues in children, some of which are still capable of being produced in games after the first wave.

Part 2:
Pathology Detail- Visual Overview

These visual effects are known among programming circles as "The White Hand Sprite", the "Ghost Animation", and the "Buried Alive Model". Each has been found to cause headaches, nausea, and in severe cases, hemorrhaging of the brain and lungs. While around 70% of Lavender Town Syndrome (LTS) is due to the Lavender Tone, the remaining percentage is split among these visual phenomena. This is partly due to the visual stimuli occurring after the player is introduced to the Lavender Tone. It has been theorized that those unaffected by the aural stimulation, such as the deaf or the hard of hearing, make up the remaining 30%. While viewing these models can cause these effects, there are certain methods that allow a viewer to safely examine them in detail.

The White Hand Sprite

Known in the code as WhitHand.gif, this was scripted to appear as a Pokemon on the third floor of the Lavender Tower. It is divided into four separate animations: an introduction (the "cry" a Pokemon unleashes before a battle), an idle, and two attacks. These attacks are unknown, as they are listed simply as "Fist" and "Brutal". While viewing the animation has been proven to be hazardous, viewing the frames of the model has been proven to have no adverse effects. The White Hand is depicted as a shriveled, slightly decayed hand, with surprising attention to detail: flesh is peeling back from the bone, and several tendons dangle realistically out of the wrist. The first attack is the hand balling into a fist, then swinging forward. However, the "brutal" animation is missing several frames: The hand seems to open up, then cuts out. After a few seconds, it reappears, closed again. No record has been found of these missing frames.

Ghost Animation

The Ghost Animation, coded as Haunting.swf, was intended to be placed in several areas throughout the tower, including in the center of a path on the second floor. However, players cannot interact with it, leaving many to believe that it was intended as a "background feature". The ghost animation as well must be viewed in individual frames. It is comprised of 59 frames total. However, after extraction, around half of these frames have been revealed to be the standard ghost model used in Pocket Monsters. Around a quarter of the remaining frames are comprised of static, to produce a "fading" effect. However, interspersed with these bursts of static are several frames of screaming faces, along with images of a skeletal man in a cloak (hypothesized to be the Grim Reaper) and of several killed corpses. The meaning behind these are unknown- While under oath before the Video Games Commission Board, Lead Programmer Hisashi Sogabe testified as to having "No knowledge as to where these images surfaced." Out of all the phenomena associated with LTS, this animation is the most speculated on: In his thesis "Video Games and The Manipulation of the Human Mind", [viewable in appendix C] Dr. Jackson Turner argued that the images were intentionally placed in. Due to their brief time appearing on the screen, and the graphic nature of the frames, Turner theorizes that these were meant to subliminally influence players into becoming more frightened by the disturbing surroundings.

The Buried Alive Model

Often referred to as its code, the Buryman script, the Buried Alive Model was to be found on the final story of the Pokemon Tower, in what has now been replaced with the Marowak ghost. According to the scripts assigned to it, the Buried Alive model was intended to be the "boss" of the tower. Once reaching the top floor, the following conversation would have taken place.

Buried Alive: You're... Here.
BA: I'm trapped...
BA: And I'm lonely...
BA: So very lonely...
BA: Won't you join me?
After this, the battle would have been initiated. Once in
"battle view", the Buried Alive model appears to be a decaying human corpse attempting to crawl out of the ground. It has been programmed to have two White Hands, a Gengar, and a Muk. Strangely enough, a protocol for the Buried Alive's actions after it was defeated were not written. In the case of the player defeating him, the game would freeze. However, a specific ending was written by an unknown programmer upon losing the battle. In this ending, the Buried Alive was to have stated, "Finally, fresh meat!" followed by several lines of gibberish. He was to have then dragged the player character into the ground surrounding him. The scene would finish with a typical "Game Over" screen; however, in the background, an image of the Buried Alive character devouring the player was to have been shown. Especially strange are the protocols for after this scene. The cartridge was to download this image to the small internal memory contained in the Gameboy, overwriting the title screen that normally accompanied a Gameboy turning on. Instead, whenever it was started, the player would view this image as the sound file staticmesh.wav was played. The intended purpose for this effect, unlike many of the other factors leading towards LTS, is unknown.

Hey I'm not saying I believe/support this idea it just fits well. And if you've never heard the Lavender Town story it is at least slightly creepy

It means that the people of the second group were more conditioned to seeing whatever the second picture was of. But... since you didn't really tell us what the second picture was of, this story isn't very creepy... it just reads like a psychology experiment.
It is also that the story is fake. Sheldrake and his field theory are real (the fact that he came up with the "theory" is real. Morphogenetic field theory is pretty much bullshit pseudoscience). The scenario with the dog photo is taken from 999: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Obssesed why did you go ahead and ruin the surprise. WHY!

Besides jimbob, it falls under the "supernatural" category anyway.

well, most of these stories are fake anyhow. Some of the creepiest ones out there are fake, but that doesn't stop them. the problem was that I didn't see anything supernatural about it - it just read like a psychology experiment writeup!

norulz

excellent
@jimbob: the problem with them is stuff like what zacchaeus posted, i mean lavander town stories have been so overdone that it just goes from creepy to blatantly irritating. also you can see how bullshit the content of his copy+paste is just by looking at how hard people tried to sell it

@alan your posts are brilliant. the taman shud case remidns me of the incident in australia where one of our prime ministers went swimming in the morning one day and dissapeared: never found a body.

Also, most likely many of you hear have heard of Amytiville http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amityville_Horror

EDIT: Yeah I realised I typed alan instead of ala but had to leave before I could edit it :P
EDIT2: OMG I was about to put philadelphia experiment when I return to log in, you beat me

Oh dear.

I just spent an hour reading that Ted's Cave story. :0 I'm for sure going to have a nice sleep tonight...

My lilies are my most prized possessions. They're hand-picked. I will only take the most supremely beautiful specimens. They must be white as an angel's wings and so soft and delicate to the touch that you must be careful of the harm you bring to them. Perhaps it is selfish of me to hoard them as I do, but as it is I who takes them first, it is I who shall enjoy them, their sweet, intoxicating scent and their soothing elegance.

To listen to the lily's voice is to hear the sound of unrestrained magnificence, fine-tuned to stir the soul into a passionate uproar. It is for this reason that I keep my lilies, one dozen at a time, at all times. I must hear the cry of my recherche beauties, bear witness to their bleeding, and revel in the need they have for me. At first, even I, pious as I am, questioned this desire, but finding the answer proved such a splendor in its own rite. It is seeing my lilies weakened into such a state that I am all they have left, as they are all I have left, that I derive a satisfaction indescribable to one who has not experienced it themselves. But nothing is perfect forever. One of my lilies has wilted. I must be off immediately to replace her.

One of my favorite creepypastas, might take a while to get it though...

they're not lilies

This is literally the crappiest creepypasta I have ever, ever read.

Hopkinsville Goblins

Another one of my fav reads.

EDIT: @rock doc, yeah the vids are unsettling and some of the stories are too. The only thing that puts me off is the translation but otherwise that is a definitely creepy site...

Dionaea House. writing layout is kinda like 'Ted's Caving adventure' but has great delivery and pretty eerie. The story seeem to link to other sites, here they are in order(?)

http://www.dionaea-house.com/default.htm
http://ohdanigirl.livejournal.com/
http://www.dionaea-house.com/aimlog.htm
http://dionaeahouse.blogspot.com/

Here are some other stuff:

I am a 47-year-old woman. The day in question was a normal day for me. I am an apartment manager of over 20 years experience and open my door to strangers every day. Sometimes I don't like the looks of the people that come to my door to see available apartments, but I will still make myself available to show the ready and empty apartments to rent.
On this day, however, I was not willing to even step out of my office door to show to the very creepy young boy who had knocked at my door. He had come in the early afternoon and knocked on my office door. I opened the door to see who it was. He was young boy of about 17 or 18, approximately. He asked me about an open apartment for rent. I remember feeling very scared and shaken by his appearance. He did not look weird by his dress or such. It was his eyes. I remember feeling the hair on my neck stand up, and I was shaking just from looking in his eyes.
I have never felt like this before in all the years I have done this job. I could not look him straight in the eyes. I felt like I was about to die. My instincts told me this. I noticed he was on a bicycle, not in a vehicle. He was not moving toward me or anything, but he was just waiting for me to invite him in or take him to the empty unit. Now, some people may think that I was just over-reacting or something, but the eyes were completely black – like there was no real pupil. He spoke normally to me, but I had to just shut the door in his face and get as far from him as I could. I felt like I was in extreme danger. Only because of the eyes. I think if I had looked any longer into them, I would have not been able to shut that door.
I shook for hours after that. I called my daughter at work and told her about it. She told me about the "black-eyed kids." I am still afraid of that image of his eyes. The black-eyed kids are some young kids that try and get people to invite them into their cars or homes,etc. – and the people end up dead.
There were two incidents that occurred in Portland, Oregon here that I heard about. I just tried to look up anything I could about them, but there isn't a lot of info on them. Just be warned, do not allow any kids with the dark eyes inside your home or vehicles, no matter how young or persistant they are. My daughter, who is a fan of Art Bell, told me about your site. I just felt moved to write my story.

http://www.thecobrasnose.com/xxghost/belmez.html
http://www.thecobrasnose.com/xxghost/borley.html

enjoying this thread a great deal. also the slender man is wonderful - it's genius how a picture grew into a urban myth by itself. there's even one poster in the original somethingawful thread who said 'i'm sure some of these are going to be take for real in other communities'

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
the stories on that saya in underworld site are deeply interesting

on the other hand i refuse to play any of the videos on that site, fuck that shit

also i had a seriously creepy experience with online stuff when i was younger. me and my friends discovered www.thisisnotporn.com when we were like 14. it's down now but it was a riddle/enigma site. you figured out the puzzle, you advanced one level, simple enough. although the site itself was EXTREMELY disturbing - the first page was a tv set on the middle of nowhere with static and one riddle had you downloading a video of a poorly llluminated guy with a gas mask speaking in weird languages - what truly had my young 14 yo mind going nuts was when we got access/discovered a forum tied to this website.

there was a secret sub-forum you could only access after beating the whole site, and posts in others forums spoke of submarines, geology and how there was a bigggg secret for those smart enough to get through the whole puzzle (bear with me here ok there are things i don't remember and those i do are kinda vague). as we dug deeper and deeper we somehow convinced ourselves that this big secret was a prediction of a big earthquake. this was around 2007 and i remember reading it somewhere on these forums how they predicted successfully the tsunami on indonesia and day after day i grew increasingly overwhelmed by a fear of what would happen, what this second secret was.

it was a terrible week for me. i wasn't getting any sleep at all and at some point i had to tell my father the whole thing just to hear him say how foolish i was being and eventually grew over it. the site is down now, and i'm sure all of those things i feared were probably inside jokes around the enigma community, but those were some fucked-up days for my young impressionable mind.

EDIT: it really pisses me off that this one website had me scared for days and now there's barely anything on google about it. so frustrating

Oh fine I have poor taste in creepypasta
In Gjoberdik, a small fisherman's village in the country of Bulgaria, on the dawn of January 1st, everyone closes their curtains and hold their breath for half a minute. Hours after the craze of midnight's celebrations, children look questioning at their worried parents, but can not help to shiver in the embrace of their shaking parents.
One can hear the sound of bells being struck exactly 25 times last year, in this short time span. The nearest church however, is over 32 miles away. You will find no one out on the streets in these fateful 30 seconds, and even the birds will stop whistling.
Some have gone out of their houses, roaring boldly in disbelief of this century old tradition. On the first sunset of this year, two people gambled their fate in the very first rays of sunlight.
The next dawn, the bells will be struck 27 times.

EDIT: God dammit Ala, I was just listening to the Giygas boss battle in Earthbound and then read your links. Aw shit...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)