Pokémon Porygon-Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually no, thunderbolt and thunder are redirected but discharge still hits everyone, so not even an A-marowak switch in from the opponent would stop porygon z, and unlike tapu koko and xurkitree, porygon has acess to shadow ball to OHKO it or other ghost types immune to fake out.
My bad, then! :p

Potential movesets
I seperated the Electric-Type Porygon-Z from the Ghost-Type Porygon-Z to avoid confusion with slashes.

Ghost type
Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 44 Def / 212 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion

Electric Type
Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
EVs: 44 Def / 212 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion
- Recover / Shadow Ball / Tri-Attack

44 Defense EVs are used to give Genesect a Special Attack boost instead of an Attack boost, making it more difficult for a Scarf set to revenge kill Porygon-Z. Max Speed is used to outspeed pokemon such as Modest Nihilego, Modest Tapu Lele and Modest Landorus, as well as Scarf Excadrill and Pheromosa after Z-Conversion.
Other spreads to increase the damage output can be used, such as 236 SpA / 228 Spe Timid and 248 SpA / 216 Spe Timid (both with 44 EVs in Defense).
Ghost Type Porygon-Z abuses the fact that many teams lack a Ghost-resist, or have a Ghost-resist weak to one of the coverage moves like Mandibuzz and Greninja. Ghost-Type Porygon-Z is also able to avoid damage from ExtremeSpeed and Mach Punch, making revengekilling more difficult.
Porygon-Z can also transform into an Electric-Type, giving it another strong STAB option and, because BoltBeam has great coverage, the option to use other moves like Recover and Tri-Attack (to be able to revenge kill before using Z-Conversion). It can also get some useful OHKOs Ghost-Type Porygon-Z doesn't achieve, such Toxapex and Tapu Fini (to prevent Haze).
I've been running 21 ivs in sp def instead of 31 with 4 evs in defense so Gensect still doesn't get the attack boost but I can invest all 252 evs in sp atk because not investing a full 252 evs in a sweepers (special) attack stat bothers me

Which nets less coverage loss on the Ghost Porygon-Z, Ice Beam or Thunderbolt? I'm noticing a lot of people seeing the switch to Porygon-Z and busting out a Ghost move that severely injures me turn 1. So I was thinking I could replace one of those with Agility, and boost turn 1 while they waste a turn with a Ghost move that can't hit me. +1/+2 before I even Z-Conversion. +3 Speed with Timid means I end up with 765 Speed, which if my math isn't horribly off base is higher than a Scarfed Pheromosa. Could be a good late-game sweeper if you can clear out all the Sucker Punchers first.

Which nets less coverage loss on the Ghost Porygon-Z, Ice Beam or Thunderbolt? I'm noticing a lot of people seeing the switch to Porygon-Z and busting out a Ghost move that severely injures me turn 1. So I was thinking I could replace one of those with Agility, and boost turn 1 while they waste a turn with a Ghost move that can't hit me. +1/+2 before I even Z-Conversion. +3 Speed with Timid means I end up with 765 Speed, which if my math isn't horribly off base is higher than a Scarfed Pheromosa. Could be a good late-game sweeper if you can clear out all the Sucker Punchers first.
You're thinking too hard about it man.

First off Porygon-Z is a gimmick-mon that, with or without it's Z-move, will fall to RU by January. The main thing you have to recognize is that it is slow as dick and has to waste a turn.
But if you want to beat it just use Signal-Beam, probably the only worthwhile set is the bug-type z-conversion.

You see bug-type special is so fucking good and people just don't see it. People are so blinded by Celesteelia that they think ice and thunderblot (sidenote: "BoltBeam" is a meme strategy, used only by Smogon-children who are afraid to try new sets LOL) so don't waste your time with those move.

Porygon Z @ Z-Thing
Signal Beam
Substitute
Conversion
Tri-Attack

Porygon-Z was UU back in XY, I can't see why it'd drop to RU. I'm just saying it'd make for a nice trick gimmick, but I think you are underestimating Porygon-Z. It's biggest defect was its speed and finding time to setup Agility. With a single move you boost up all of your stats and completely negate two strong priority moves. It doesn't seem like much, but it's pretty significant. At the very least I can see it being moved to BL. Shadow Ball coming off of +1 SpA with Adaptability STAB hurts a lot of things.

I think gobln is being a playful troll though, considering his post has meme and smogon-children in the same sentence. The only time when we'll see bug type porygon is if the meta is overrun with dark and psychics, and even then there are plenty of strong bug types like mega scizor, genesect, buzzhole or pheromosa.

As for your problem a much simpler solution would be to simply attack with shadow ball instead of using z-conversion right away, since normal porygon is immune to ghost so the one using a ghost attack is probably a ghost type himself. You can even do this to finish of some pokemon rather than risk them getting an attack on you if you have a supereffective attack available, so keeping both ice beam and thunderbolt could be a good option, but then he could switch it for something that resists your attack... It's basically a problem of predicting what your opponent is going to do, and that is quite hard to master.

As for coverage options in the third slot for ghost porygon, i've read in the SM OU analisys write up thread that Hidden power fighting would be a good move for ghost porygon, presumably to deal with dark types that threaten it like bisharp, tyranitar and weavile (which have a 4x weakness to fighting), so you could change your team building to have a strong electric attacker like tapu koko or Xurkitree for the electric attacks instead of thunderbolt (which without adaptability, may not deal enough damage considering how bulky water types can be)

Considering how weak hidden power is in terms of base power (so it needs that quadruple weakness for damage), i've been wondering if electric porygon would benefit more from HP fire than HP ground, since the pokemon that have 4X weakness to fire are the likes of mega scizor, genesect, kartana, ferrothorn, forretress, abomasnow, A-sandslash, while the ones that have 4X weakness to ground are A-golem, togedemaru, magnezone, heatran, heat rotom, salazzle, nihilego, aggron. Of course, HP ground MAY be enough to take down electric type pokemon or pokemon with lightning rod/volt absorb that are problematic, since at double weakness it's stronger than a neutral ice beam, but it needs prior damage (like from stealth rock) to pull off an OHKO in many cases like the popular A-Marowak. Overall it probably depends on the current meta.

Last edited:
You can cut out most of those examples. and hp ground has no real justification.

Youre basically comparing beating kartana, sandslash, and ferrothorn with beating golem

Anything else is handled with thunderbolt really. Even a 4x hp is barely stronger than a neutral tbolt. hell p-z beats all three of those above regardless (granted it needs recover for ferro), its just a matter of taking less damage.

tbh i think the best option for electric is just to carry recover and letting the rest of the team take out some major resistant threats (marowak) or putting stuff into ko range. porygons pretty tanky after conversion and can pretty safely take on most neutral mons. after the boost its effectively the same as having like base 120ish defenses. his biggest problem i find are just plain old special walls or superfast threats like excadrill. but type coverage isnt really his problem with those.

Some calcs for comparison between hidden power and adaptability thunderbolt, using standard sets, with a modest porygon z after electric z-conversion.

(mega scizor bulky swords dance)

+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Scizor-Mega: 250-296 (72.8 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Porygon-Z Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Scizor-Mega: 336-396 (97.9 - 115.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Scarfed genesect (faster than porygon z after conversion, even with timid)

+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Genesect: 350-414 (123.6 - 146.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Porygon-Z Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Genesect: 472-556 (166.7 - 196.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Kartana is just overkilled. Ferrothorn (OU utility):

+1 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 127-150 (36 - 42.6%) -- 94.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ SpA Porygon-Z Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 340-400 (96.5 - 113.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

Forretress is also killed regardless. As for HP ground,

golem alola:
+1 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Golem-Alola: 236-278 (78.4 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Porygon-Z Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Golem-Alola: 632-744 (209.9 - 247.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Magnezone (choice specs)
+1 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 168 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 181-214 (56 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Porygon-Z Hidden Power Ground vs. 168 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 484-572 (149.8 - 177%) -- guaranteed OHKO

heatran
+1 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 316-372 (81.8 - 96.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ SpA Porygon-Z Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 420-496 (108.8 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

rotom heat is immune to HP ground
+1 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Heat: 157-185 (51.8 - 61%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Salazzle dies unless it has focus sash or assault vest and full EV's on HP and SpD.

Nihilego:
+1 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Nihilego: 262-310 (72.9 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Porygon-Z Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Nihilego: 352-416 (98 - 115.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Agronn:
+1 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Aggron: 362-428 (105.2 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Porygon-Z Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Aggron: 484-572 (140.6 - 166.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

A-Marowak: (lightning rod)
+1 252+ SpA Porygon-Z Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Marowak-Alola: 356-420 (136.3 - 160.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Porygon-Z Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Marowak-Alola: 100-118 (38.3 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252+ SpA Porygon-Z Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Marowak-Alola: 268-316 (102.6 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So in conclusion, i was wrong; the only potential use HP fire would have would be to deal with Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn (could be useful, depending on team composition), but HP ground has more uses and does some damage to some natural counters to electric porygon z that resist or don't receive damage from electric attacks. However other than magnezone and A-golem, it's possible to survive with some minimal investment even if you have a 4X weakness to ground like nihilego.

Against pokemons with just 2X weakness to ground and neutral to electricity, thunderbolt is clearly preferable.

+1 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Muk: 238-282 (57.4 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+1 252+ SpA Porygon-Z Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Muk: 160-190 (38.6 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Hello smogon enthousiasts!

I want to build the electric type porygon-Z, and I have a noob question about the 0 IV in attack.

Is this for a potential hidden power move, or for some other reason?

Thanks for letting me know!

Hello smogon enthousiasts!

I want to build the electric type porygon-Z, and I have a noob question about the 0 IV in attack.

Is this for a potential hidden power move, or for some other reason?

Thanks for letting me know!
It's to reduce damage from confusion and Foul Play, you'll commonly see it on special attacking sets. It's by no means necessary, especially if you're planning to make a Porygon Z ingame, but it's optimization at its finest.

Porygon z is sorta like xerneas in the sense that it is a late game cleaner with a powerful 1 use 1 turn set up. Unlike xerneas, porygon has a lot more checks and answers making it not broken.

In ou, i think that porygon is viable if you can get the opponents checks and counters out of the way. its bulk lets it take most priority hits extremely well and with access to recover, it can be very scary to deal with for some teams if they arent prepared. I think that this thing will be an OU staple. I'm almost certain that it will be banned from uu if it doesnt get the usage. BL at worst. OU at best

You can't really change the moves' order mid-battle like you could do in older generations with the select button, right?

I mean, if that worked, you could choose midbattle if you want to be either ghost or electric

Now that pokebank is close to opening, is pain split a good third move? Sure recover is more reliable, but pain split can deal damage and recover HP at the same time especially since on of the ways to stop a porygon z is poisoning him.

Now that pokebank is close to opening, is pain split a good third move? Sure recover is more reliable, but pain split can deal damage and recover HP at the same time especially since on of the ways to stop a porygon z is poisoning him.
Surprisingly, Porygon-Z's HP stat is above-average for OU, Against most foes, it'll do far less damage than its nuke of a STAB while healing far less than Recover. For any recovery move, getting a Pokemon out of KO range is the highest priority.

However because porygon z has a turn of setup and cannot be switched out it it means that tipically it's worn out by priority moves, focus sash, scarves, bulky mons that haven't got a weakness, leech seed or poison damage so pain split can bring the opponent within reach of an OHKO by Porygon's next move.

It also gives porygon z a way to defeat chansey since it can fish out for a freeze with ice beam, pain split when poison damage is severe and finishing it off with a thunderbolt if chancey doesn't heal itself immediately. A Psyschock porygon Z won't even have to fish for a freeze, since Psyschock deals half damage.

However because porygon z has a turn of setup and cannot be switched out it it means that tipically it's worn out by priority moves, focus sash, scarves, bulky mons that haven't got a weakness, leech seed or poison damage so pain split can bring the opponent within reach of an OHKO by Porygon's next move.

It also gives porygon z a way to defeat chansey since it can fish out for a freeze with ice beam, pain split when poison damage is severe and finishing it off with a thunderbolt if chancey doesn't heal itself immediately. A Psyschock porygon Z won't even have to fish for a freeze, since Psyschock deals half damage.
Better to just maintain Porygon Z's coverage/more reliable recovery and have something else kill mons like Chansey. Porygon-Z is very potent, but considering it's a Z-Booster and it lacks STAB until Z-Conversion, it gets once chance to damage the opponent in a significant manner, so better to just let the myriad of more effective wallbreakers deal with its stops like Chansey and let it run Recover to better maintain itself against all the methods of wear and tear you noted.

Porygon-Z's role and playstyle means that Pain Split should never be used on it. It's only chosen for mons like Rotom-W or Gengar, which have abyssmal HP stats (Rotom gets its bulk off defenses and typing) AND lack any other reliable recovery method.

Minor note, but the analysis sets are listed with too many EV's

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Signal Beam / Nasty Plot
- Conversion
- Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Fighting

And besides, if you really need to have Porygon-Z get past Chansey, you use Psyshock. On Psychic Terrain it can even OHKO Chansey more than half the time after SR.

+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 534-630 (83.1 - 98.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
I've been running Electric-type Conversion lately (Thunderbolt / Ice Beam / Recover / Conversion). Here are some thoughts:

* Tapu Fini is your Porygon-Z opportunity, especially with Recover. Recover negates any Nature's Madness, and the worst Fini really can do to you is Taunt or Defog. Its not like Tapu Fini can burn you or anything. You don't need to do Z-Conversion to threaten it out with Thunderbolt / Recover alone, but be weary of the Moonblast -Sp. Atk hax if you really do plan on Z-Conversion.

* Walls of note are Chansey, Mega-Venusaur, and Ferrothorn. Mamoswine is the offensive-pokemon of note (immune to Electric, Thick-fat resists Ice). Scarf Garchomp and Scarf Landorus OHKO as well. Be sure to remove and/or severely damage the walls before doing Z-Conversion.

You only get one chance at Z-Conversion. Don't mess it up!

* Unboosted non-STAB 135 Sp. Atk Ice Beam is still a useful attack. Indeed, Porygon-Z is just bulky enough to survive things like Garchomp's or Landorus's Scarf'd Earthquake (as a Normal Type) and KO with Ice Beam. Scarf Garchomp and Scarf Landorus are "hard stops" against Porygon-Z anyway, even after the Z-Conversion. Better to have your Porygon-Z at 5% and unboosted rather than +1 and dead.

* Slow Volt-Turn users, like Scizor or Forretreess (does anyone else use Forretress?), are excellent at getting Porygon-Z in without taking damage. Fast U-Turners only really bring in Porygon-Z if the opponent switches.

* Electric Porygon Z at +1 defenses isn't too spectacular. Recover ain't beating any of the heavy hitters... Really, Recover is useful at locking in the win if the opponent relies on Priority and for matchups vs Fini as a more reliable setup opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)