Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

With this official reveal, we now have the French and German names of Wiglett, so I thought of having a look:

Diglett in French is Taupiqueur, a blend of taupe (mole) and piqueur (miner), whereas Wiglett's French name, Taupikeau is a combination of Taupiqueaur and eau (water). Both have really close pronunciations.

In German, we have Digda for Diglett (same as the Japanese name) and Schligda for Wiglett (from Schlick, meaning silt/mud, and Digda).

Tbh I'm a bit disappointed with the English name. It seems to be a misnomer, that is more appropriate for wig-wearing Alolan Diglett. :blobshrug:
Its Water + Diglett, with a bit of "wiggle" to add flavor. Think of it as what we used to call Oshawott, Wotter.

So will this actually be able to take a hit to use Gooey, or will it have 35/60/70 defenses again?
Considering it's still "basically diglett", i doubt it'll be anything to tank anything outside of LC.

Its evo however, well that's up to anyone's guess. Could be another Dugtrio case of fast and frail (which however could still be very obnoxious with a focus sash to revenge kill or shut down certain setuppers), or could be a bulky water, or honestly literally anything.

Wiglett confirmed one of the leaks. But this is not the subject of this discussion.

Let's talk about this garden eel that looks like a sock-puppet popping out of sand.

As someone stated, Rattled is sometimes replaced or paired with abilities that indicate bully behavior or simply is replaced because the pokemon was a baby that evolved strong and big.

I THEORIZE that goey indicates that it can evolve into some tipe of hagfish based pokemon because... Well, hagfishs are goey. There's nothing much to theorize about this. It is not diglett, so it does not needs to evolve like diglett.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Also worth noting on another note, but apparently an Ed Sheeran song is gonna actually be played in the games.

This is a pretty strange and dissonant thing to me, first we have Toby Fox working on music for Pokemon and now this. The idea of a popular celebrity having a song of theirs play in a mainline Pokemon game is something that I can't really fully come to terms with in my head, even though I don't really have a strong opinion on Ed Sheeran one way or another.

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
Is just a song from a popular singer in a popular video game, is not the first time a video game does that, plenty have opening themes, feature a radio with irl music, or have a character singing in a cutscene.
I have no idea who this guys is tho
In other (late) news, Best Buy is giving out a set of berries as their exclusive preorder bonus.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/pokemon-scarlet-and-violet
View attachment 455773
It feels like they got someone that had no idea how Pokémon plays to sign the contract and accepted the first offer.

Is just a song from a popular singer in a popular video game, is not the first time a video game does that, plenty have opening themes, feature a radio with irl music, or have a character singing in a cutscene.
I have no idea who this guys is tho

It feels like they got someone that had no idea how Pokémon plays to sign the contract and accepted the first offer.
Ed Sheeran is one of the more popular world wide musicians (which must, I presume, include Japan's pop charts) around currently, if you wind up listening to current music you probably wind up hearing at least one of his songs.

It's not unusual for video games as a whole, but it is unusual for Nintendo titles in general, which generally opt for original songs pertaining to the game (& prrrrrobably not made by a "known" singer), where as this is Pokemon just...putting a pop song in their game.

It's not bad, per say, though I'm not a fan of this song or Sheeran in general, just kinda...weird?

e: honestly if you were to ask me if they'd ever do it, i'd say "ehhh probably not" followed by "but maybe a japanese artist, i guess?"

As a person who still gets hype seeing the swsh trailer that revealed Dynamax, im glad GF is putting more emphasis on vocal tracks.

Say what you want about gen 8 overall, but dont lie and say this trailet wasnt dripling with adrenline. Not to mention the best tracks in SWSH had vocals in the form of crowd chants and howling wolves.

You know I had just sort of assumed that Sheeran was on the Pokemon 25th anniversary album they put out last year but turns out no, he wasn't. Guess they were saving all that energy for this.

So like is he also going to get a personalized (and not playable) TCG Promo like Katy Perry, Post Malone and J Balvin. I mean he got to get his song played in the game give him a card too imo

What a bizarre thing to have in the game
Many other RPGs, e.g., the Tales series, have vocal themes as well, except it's usually J-Pop.
As a person who still gets hype seeing the swsh trailer that revealed Dynamax, im glad GF is putting more emphasis on vocal tracks.

Say what you want about gen 8 overall, but dont lie and say this trailet wasnt dripling with adrenline. Not to mention the best tracks in SWSH had vocals in the form of crowd chants and howling wolves.
Brand New World Gang, howl! :boi:

Last edited:
Many other RPGs, e.g., the Tales series, have vocal themes as well, except it's usually J-Pop.
Are those vocal tracks done my mainstream artists or more of a games music composer?
It would be cool to have vocal tracks in mainline games, but for important moments like Champion fight or all your friends coming to help you.
Based on the tone of the Ed Sheeran song, seems like it will be played as the intro or end credits.

Wiglett has a trailer and official site entry now. It is pure Water-type with Gooey and Rattled.
https://scarletviolet.pokemon.com/en-us/pokemon/wiglett/
So what will the evolution be called? Wigtrio? Wettrio? Wugtrio?

Or maybe it won't have an evolution but I am assuming it will.

Also what is it with some Pokemon having multiple regional variants. Meowth has two. Diglett now has two. Why not another Pokemon type for a change?

So what will the evolution be called? Wigtrio? Wettrio? Wugtrio?

Or maybe it won't have an evolution but I am assuming it will.

Also what is it with some Pokemon having multiple regional variants. Meowth has two. Diglett now has two. Why not another Pokemon type for a change?
My guess is that it’ll have some twist where it doesn’t look like Dugtrio at all. Which would help show that this isn’t a regional form.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)