Pokemon Evolutions that disappointed you?

Interesting. Though I think the bigger issue for me apart from the line's progression is the fact that I just don't like Blaziken's design at all to be honest. Which is why even though Dewott to Samurott seems like an incongruous leap as well, I'm not nearly as disappointed since I think both designs are quite good in a vacuum.
I generally don't have an issue with a Pokemon's evolution being wildly different as long as I think it looks cool or good.

Dragonair -> Dragonite
Chespin -> Chesnaught
Magikarp/Feebas -> Gyarados/Milotic (although it's kinda the whole gimmick with these)
Shroomish -> Breloom
Dewott -> Samurott

All of these are Pokemon that I adore that don't really look like their earlier evolutions in a few ways, but I still like them because even if they look pretty different than their prevos, they still have good designs in my opinion. For example, I don't hate Greninja because it's different compared to Frogadier (even if I prefer Frogadier vastly). Same with Blaziken's line. And I certainly don't like Magmortar just because it looks similar enough to Magmar and an actual evolution of it!

Seriously I hate Magmortar. I can't believe that in Platinum, if you didn't pick Infernape, 1/3 of your Fire type options was Magmortar lmao

I generally don't have an issue with a Pokemon's evolution being wildly different as long as I think it looks cool or good.

Dragonair -> Dragonite
Chespin -> Chesnaught
Magikarp/Feebas -> Gyarados/Milotic (although it's kinda the whole gimmick with these)
Shroomish -> Breloom
Dewott -> Samurott

All of these are Pokemon that I adore that don't really look like their earlier evolutions in a few ways, but I still like them because even if they look pretty different than their prevos, they still have good designs in my opinion. For example, I don't hate Greninja because it's different compared to Frogadier (even if I prefer Frogadier vastly). Same with Blaziken's line. And I certainly don't like Magmortar just because it looks similar enough to Magmar and an actual evolution of it!

Seriously I hate Magmortar. I can't believe that in Platinum, if you didn't pick Infernape, 1/3 of your Fire type options was Magmortar lmao
Dragonite is a good example. I like Dragonair and Dragonite despite them looking unrelated.

Politoed is a bad example. Politoed looks unrelated to Poliwhirl (I know they were going for the tadpole into frog thing but it's still quite jarring). But I have a problem with it because Politoed just looks silly to me compared to Poliwhirl, or Poliwrath for that matter:

:rs/poliwhirl: :rs/poliwrath: :rs/politoed:

Dragonite is a good example. I like Dragonair and Dragonite despite them looking unrelated.

Politoed is a bad example. Politoed looks unrelated to Poliwhirl (I know they were going for the tadpole into frog thing but it's still quite jarring). But I have a problem with it because Politoed just looks silly to me compared to Poliwhirl, or Poliwrath for that matter:

:rs/poliwhirl: :rs/poliwrath: :rs/politoed:
That reminds me that Politoed is actually another Pokemon I really like despite not looking similar to it's prevo. I'm actually not that big a fan of Poliwrath to be honest

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sugimori 613.pngSugimori 614.png
I don't even remember their name, but the first stage looks cute and fine. But the final form looks just stupid with that icicle beard. Also that head design I can't get used to it. The entire body shape looks like a triangle shame, a very unbalanced design. I would expect more build on the chest area.
Congrats, now I can't unsee that. That just completely ruined a design I thought was okay beforehand.

Beartic was never one of my favorite Gen 5 mons and certainly not one of my favorite Pokemon but this just ruins my perception of it.

I almost used Cubchoo on my Pokemon Shield team during my first playthrough because it was adorable, but I decided against it before it ever evolved or anything. I'm glad I did cause Beartic is pretty lame.

I think the triangle body, as well as the snot nose on Cubchoo and the beard, are all intended to reference icicles. But all 3 of those are elements of the design I hate, so clearly someone screwed up.

I think the triangle body, as well as the snot nose on Cubchoo and the beard, are all intended to reference icicles. But all 3 of those are elements of the design I hate, so clearly someone screwed up.
Ikr? It looks like the Snot became the Beard in the final design which makes the end design gross when you put in some thoughts on top of it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)