Pokemon Day Presents 2024 - Pokemon LZA 2025

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted something that ideally at least one group of fans win what they wanted. Johto fans lost. Unova fans lost. Spin-off fans lost, but that’s much more expected anyway, and people who either didn’t want a new game or wanted those NSO ports lost. Mark my words, the only reason this game exists is so the rest of the missing Pokémon can finally be on the Switch, because they’re all also in the XY PokéDex roster.
I was hoping for "anything main series other than just ILCA BW1", so I'm celebrating. For those who wanted a gap year you've also got that.

Good list! Aegislash would be an interesting candidate for a Mega, since iirc we've never had a Mega for a Pokemon with a 'hardcoded' ability (not that there were many to choose from back when Megas were a thing, compared to now).
My idea for Mega Aegislash is that it's basically the mega used by the final boss. Maybe not the final Pokemon if it's like LA with Arceus, but the Volo figure

I think it'd work super well!

I especially hope they'll keep the traditional battle system, as I won't enjoy the game much otherwise. Or if they are going to change it, please change it for the better, not worse. Here's to hoping.
The battle system they used in PLA is a commonly used system in other JRPGs, most notably Final Fantasy X and Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth. It's just a take on the usual turn based system but the time discretization is made more realistic. It's neither better nor worse, it's just different.

As a fan of the Fragile Speedster archetype, I always loved this system because in the traditional turn based system, Fragile Speedster fighters have to resort to become a support unit.

I have to say, though, the execution of the battle system in PLA isn't really good, especially the way they calculate the turn order is very exploitable. The omission of abilities also didn't help, but if they're bringing back Mega Evolution, I don't see why they won't also bring back abilities. PLA is also their first trial of this battle system. I'm sure they'll improve on it.

Last edited:

StupidFlandrs48

World’s sweatiest casual
is a Pre-Contributor
Good, I want BW3, not a remake of one half of the story told in the DS games.
It's extremely unlikely that they abandoned it for sequels/Legends stuff exclusively, BDSP sold like water in a desert. TPCI's just keeping a closer eye on ILCA this time to guard their own bottom line

In the meantime though, we get this absolutely amazing hype cycle that I hope will include an information rollout with Nintendo Directs and such. I'm wondering when I'll make time to rewatch the Kalos anime at this point, I never actually got to the end as a kid before I lost interest in Pokemon overall.

Also personally I'm kinda indifferent to PLA's battle system, I get what you mean about it feeling exploitable but I do like that they can make a more unbalanced/style over substance kind of system because it's a singleplayer game with no need to think about balancing.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Just realized this game essentially has to be a sequel to XY if they actually want to do meaningful game design with Megas in the campaign this time. The whole thing with them in that game was that they were this rare, mysterious, poorly understood thing that was just being newly researched and looked into. Therefore it would follow that prequel material cannot contradict this: You could get away with saying that the knowledge was lost to time if this was untold centuries ago in some ancient forgotten era of legends or if it was like Hisui where it's in a really undeveloped era with little in the way of civilization to document things but even the farthest back estimates by fans put this in the Pokemon equivalent of the late 19th century which is nowhere near enough for that explanation to be viable.

Well, doesn't matter either way. I looked into the "woman using smartphone" claim from earlier and at this timecode you can definitely see they are at some sort of smart device, being able to make out typing motions if you pay close enough attention.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Another thing I'm wondering about is how the ORAS Megas will be treated. PLA made a point of including every Pokemon and evolution DP introduced, even ones that didn't match with the time period like the fossils and Porygon-Z, but will ORAS Megas be considered "Kalos originals" for a similar guideline? Will Camerupt, Lopunny, the Hoenn starters and so forth be added to the dex by virtue of having Megas?

"WHAT?! Hoenn has Mega Pokemon! Well bring those species over to my lab in Lumiose City and we'll check them out. The Lumiose Redevelopment plan? I'm one of the organizers, we'll incorporate the new Pokemon with the city's expansion! Also bring those Red and Blue Orbs, I want to study them, I'm sure Groudon and Kyogre aren't going to want them and suddenly appear to cause havoc. What, I'm a great judgement of someone's character."

I don't see the point of the TCG app if you can't even play a game in it that matches the TCG's rules.
There's already another app to play the TCG normally, Pokemon TCG Live.

I highly doubt there will be an in-universe explanation for Lumiose City being so much bigger. The explanation is the unstated out-of-universe one: Lumiose was always meant to be this immense canonically, the XY version was just the best approximation that was possible on the hardware while also having an entire region surrounding it.
Here is Bulbapedia's map of XY's Lumiose City next the blueprint one they showed in the trailer:

If we use the Plazas as landmarks that didn't increase in size, they line-up almost exactly.

You know, "Redevelop" doesn't necessarily mean they're making Lumiose City bigger, just that they're redoing it. And by the looks of it, they're certainly adding in more details.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
My airy predictions, based on nothing but vague conceptual logic:

• Much as L:A had a few non-Sinnoh Pokemon like Vulpix in the Hisui dex, I have a feeling that Patrat, Pansage, Pansear, and Panpour might be available in this game, thus giving Game Freak a reason to finally close the door on Bank>Home connectivity. The elemental monkeys were available early on in XY so I don't think they'd feel out of place in Kalos. Presumably, we'll get a new or alternate Kalos Dex listing: there's a number of older and newer Pokemon not in the original Kalos Dex, like Leavanny, Oricorio, and Thievul, who also seem like they could make it in. It'd be cool if they could make it of a comparable size to the original Kalos Dex but a tighter roster akin to L:A's 240-odd might also happen. Presumably the 72 Kalos species and all the evolutionary families with a member capable of Mega Evolution will be in, so that's about 180 Pokemon to begin with. As I said in another post recently, quantity isn't the most important thing - that'd be quality.

• Everyone seems to think there'll be three starters from other generations akin to what was done in L:A, but I don't see why people are so convinced about this? Just because they did it in L:A doesn't mean they'll necessarily do it again in this game: one time does not a pattern make. And the Kalos starters are lacking Mega Evolutions of their own which would be the perfect justification to use them again.

That said, if they DO use other regions' starters, I agree that Snivy and Piplup seem the most logical choices. For the Fire starter I'm less certain, though Fuecoco seems unlikely and Charmander and Cyndaquil are probably out. It could be Litten or Scorbunny, or even Torchic if they wanted to give it a second Mega Evolution as a callback to Torchic being an event distribution in XY.

• Pokeball Vivillon will be available in some form for the first time in nine years (!). Possibly there'll be some mechanic that ties this into Go since the final two forms are still MIA.

• New mega evolutions. Duh. I was honestly quite resigned to Megas never coming back in a main series game but now that it's likely they will I'm interested in the possibilities it could bring. And as the first major battle gimmick the series has pulled there's a slight mystique to them that neither Z-Moves, Dynamax, or Terastalization really has. I'm not a huge lover of ORAS but one thing it did incredibly well was the lore around Mega Evolution - embarrassingly far better than XY - so it'd be good to have a chance for Kalos to reclaim its signature gimmick.

And hopefully we get some new megas! There are some stronger/more popular Pokemon that seem very likely to receive them (psuedo-legendaries, most likely) but there are a few less-powerful Pokemon I think would benefit a lot from getting one, and without straying too much into wishlisting I'd actually like to see a few Kalos species get mega forms too - obviously the starter trio would be cool, but Pangoro, Malamar, Barbaracle, Dragalge, Clawitzer, Noivern, Tyrantrum, Aurorus, and Trevenant are all Pokemon I think could have great megas. It would also be interesting to see if any legendary/mythical Pokemon get one too - it's been Diancie's thing for a decade now, but it doesn't seem like the sort of thing they'll keep unique to just her.

• New regional forms. One can but hope. This seems all-but a given by now. Obviously one expects several older Pokemon to get them (Pidgeot? Clefable? Venomoth? Seaking? Ledian? Crawdaunt?) but it'd be nice to see them follow L:A in giving several Pokemon from later generations regional forms as well (Scrafty? Ferrothorn? Toucannon? Mudsdale*? Pyukumuku?).

• New Zygarde form seems quite likely, akin to Necrozma's Ultra Burst form.

• Off that, perhaps new legendaries too. Kalos is the only region missing a set of "sub-tier" legendaries, so it'd be cool if we got a duo or trio or quartet akin to the legendary birds, beasts, Regis, et al. They could, of course, retcon an existing group like L:A and SwSh did, but the birds have already got regional forms, the beasts and Swords of Justice have paradox forms, and the Regis and Forces of Nature have already been expanded. That leaves the lake trio, the Treasures of Ruin, and the island guardians, none of which seem massively likely candidates for a new member. So I think a new set of legendaries is far more likely.

• I'm unconvinced the entire game will actually take place in Lumiose City but that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see them try the concept. With parks and rivers and laboratories and greenhouses and universities you've got all kinds of excuses for incorporating various biomes, so there's no reason we couldn't have Ice-types and Dragon-types and Fire-types and everything else available. And cities are literally places of diversity - pretty much every game has some NPC stood in the middle of the street with his Onix or Poliwrath or Bergmite. That's also a piss-easy way to incorporate exisiting regional forms like Hisuian Goodra: just have some visiting backpacker trade you for it.

*chose this mostly on a whim but there is a French Clydesdale breed, so this is one to watch...

Last edited:

"WHAT?! Hoenn has Mega Pokemon! Well bring those species over to my lab in Lumiose City and we'll check them out. The Lumiose Redevelopment plan? I'm one of the organizers, we'll incorporate the new Pokemon with the city's expansion! Also bring those Red and Blue Orbs, I want to study them, I'm sure Groudon and Kyogre aren't going to want them and suddenly appear to cause havoc. What, I'm a great judgement of someone's character."
The worst part of all of this is that I can unironically see something conceptually similar to this happening.

In the end isn't that basically what's going on with the Terarium? "Hey there's this mysterious energy we found out in the middle of a super dangerous place, let's replicate it in our gigantic terrarium surely nothing can go wrong COPIUM" (to be fair, nothing did go wrong, that one time, wait that's illegal)

one time does not a pattern make.
To add to this, I think the latest generation entries proved pretty well that "patterns" are as arbitrary as they can get as GF themselves don't seem to specifically adhere to them and can nuke them in a whim if they so decide.
They weren't exactly kidding when they said that "we remove and bring back things when we feel that adds something to the game we're working on".

I feel more excited about exploring well-developped undergrounds. Urban reconstruction Most likely means that we're building back the city After the ultimate weapon exploded, so We Evacuated to the undergrounds and Tree-Xerneas protected us. only having a city may also mean developped insides for houses, Hopefully ending the trend of lore-based doors. No one cares if someone lives without a bathroom and a room, the player Never EVER sleeps, can run 792 Marathons just to get some Shiny long-cycle-hatching egg, and, this time literally, Never ever sits. There are benches, but Most people dont use them, Cause They are pointless. another thing that would be great is having wild pokemon everywhere in the city, catchable ones unlike SV, but I also think that You could have poké transporter in base XY in lumiose so riding pokemon could be a nice feature to the game. The map will obviously be bigger, You dont make a whole game out of a city, No matter how big the city can be in base games, a full game will always be bigger. Megas are coming back, and I can't Wait to finally use mega Gallade (unlike just admiring it in pokémon home) and i'd Add that just Because a map is proportional doesnt mean it won't gET bigger At all

Interesting thought: if abilities (beside slow start) didn't exist in PLA, then how will Aegislash work?
will probably just be hardcoded to change forms based on the move it uses. Cherrim still changed form in PLA.

if the whole game is in the city I definitely see some sort of terrarium type deal beneath the city, maybe separate areas like in PLA. Hopefully you can still catch Pokemon around the city though. There’s a bunch that would fit just roaming the streets (Purrloin, Fletchling, Ledyba etc), throw some water types in the canals, and could also have a few other mini areas like parks or abandoned buildings for ghosts.

since the city is being redeveloped could also increase what’s available based on level/progress, similar to upgrading the terrarium biomes.

Cobalt Pink

formerly patboiii
View attachment 609229Correct on all accounts, but that mon waaaay in the back is undoubtledly Skeledirge. the tiny orange orb near it is the hatched chick and it has a fairly unique shape I dont think fits any other mon, with its raised tail and long snout.
View attachment 609230
That looks like Krookedile for me.
Interesting thought: if abilities (beside slow start) didn't exist in PLA, then how will Aegislash work?
If Regigigas and Chereim can have Abilities, then Aegislash can get it too.

Or a fun idea of mine would be that its form depends on the last style used, if they make a return from Legend arceus. Agile style puts it into the shield form but when it chooses to use strong style, then it changes its form to the sword form. That would be a bit awkward to use, but since you cant use styles every turn, but that would be an option

Fairly certain that is a Krookodile with a baby Sandile right in front of it. Looks similar to other Krookodile we saw in the trailer

View attachment 609239
ah, sharp eye. Well im not too upset, mistaking one red crock for another isnt going to get me down in the dumps.

Also: apparently some sharp eye'd viewers noticed the company/team/group responsible for the redevelopment plan is called Quasar

1709122996078.png

If anyone knows how to read Galarian/Paldean script, can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:
will probably just be hardcoded to change forms based on the move it uses. Cherrim still changed form in PLA.
It also wouldn't surprise me if this time around Z-A uses something closer to the regular battle system.

The things that really identified Legends, the things people wanted to see move forward, were the capture mechanics and exploration. And while I have doubts about how well a city-locked small-streets Lumiose could really allow for it, those are probably the things that will actually follow suit. But battles? That's got more reign to be more regular, especially if I'm right and battles are now more frequent and required.

Mega evolutions are an inherently battle-focused gimmick that also needs a trainer to activate it. So PLZA should logically feature more emphasis on trainer battles than PLA did.

Therefore, I think there is a decent chance that abilities will be in this game. Especially since there are quite a few Pokémon that are somewhat reliant on their abilities either for lore or balancing reasons, such as Aegislash, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Mawile, not to mention Zygarde itself.

Honestly, I think they'll give the Kalos Starters a Mega and have them be the strarter trio.

The better question is, will Ash-Greninja be retconned into a Mega or will we get a new design?

Edit:

I hope Chimchar is one of the starters so we can get Mega Infernape with Gorilla Tactics. Time for another fire-fighting starter to get banned from OU!
Never mind, forget the Kalos starters.

Do it Ohmori! :quagchamppogsire:

Honestly, I think they'll give the Kalos Starters a Mega and have them be the strarter trio.

The better question is, will Ash-Greninja be retconned into a Mega or will we get a new design?
I don't think that's a questoin, it will just be a new design because it's not actually a mega.

It's like the copium of "maybe the mega designs can be used for g-maxes!!!" I think it's jsut going to be gone for good.

The real question to me is: will we be able to get a Battle Bond Greninja in this game since that's slowly becoming an endangered species

Mega evolutions are an inherently battle-focused gimmick that also needs a trainer to activate it. So PLZA should logically feature more emphasis on trainer battles than PLA did.

Therefore, I think there is a decent chance that abilities will be in this game. Especially since there are quite a few Pokémon that are somewhat reliant on their abilities either for lore or balancing reasons, such as Aegislash, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Mawile, not to mention Zygarde itself.
Let's GO had megas but no abilities, and as mentioned in other posts several mons in PLA had their ability effects hard coded. That could be an approach they take to megas, but they could also just not give them abilities. It's still a 100 BP stat boost

As a guy, I will say that XY's Boy fashion options were lame and Gen 7 & 8 are in the same vein and, honestly, 9 was an improvement.
Nah bro, those student uniforms were NOT it. Violet had the Winter drip at least, but Scarlet?

I don't think that's a questoin, it will just be a new design because it's not actually a mega.

It's like the copium of "maybe the mega designs can be used for g-maxes!!!" I think it's jsut going to be gone for good.

The real question to me is: will we be able to get a Battle Bond Greninja in this game since that's slowly becoming an endangered species
I'd personally prefer Ash-Ninja to get shot with the Ultimate Weapon, Dexit.

SV already took it out of the equation, so that's what makes things interesting here. A new Greninja form would be really interesting.

Just realized this game essentially has to be a sequel to XY if they actually want to do meaningful game design with Megas in the campaign this time. The whole thing with them in that game was that they were this rare, mysterious, poorly understood thing that was just being newly researched and looked into. Therefore it would follow that prequel material cannot contradict this: You could get away with saying that the knowledge was lost to time if this was untold centuries ago in some ancient forgotten era of legends or if it was like Hisui where it's in a really undeveloped era with little in the way of civilization to document things but even the farthest back estimates by fans put this in the Pokemon equivalent of the late 19th century which is nowhere near enough for that explanation to be viable.

Well, doesn't matter either way. I looked into the "woman using smartphone" claim from earlier and at this timecode you can definitely see they are at some sort of smart device, being able to make out typing motions if you pay close enough attention.
XY's story was pretty much Poké-Wrestling.

Sycamore was pals with both Diantha and Lysandre, trained at the damn Tower of Mastery himself, gave a mon with a corresponding Mega Stone, and the whole jig was up from the jump with that letter he sent to the player's mom. Ain't no way he didn't know how Megas worked.

He might as well have headlined Wrestlemania against the Masked Royal in that game :totodiLUL:

If the game is set in the past, I really don't think Team Flare (or a different version of Flare) will be there. Maybe an incestor od Lysandre or something, but like, I really think Legends was cool because it was different. I don't think the solution for a sequel should be "now Legends is a new formula and we should do the same setup every time."

I really do not wanna see a Galaxy Corp. parallel especially since Team Flare is explicitly created during XY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)