Pokemon Day Presents 2024 - Pokemon LZA 2025

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, all the options are mediocre at best.

If Game Freak remakes Black and White, and by Game Freak I mean the actual Game Freak, it'll be based on Black and White with no Black and White II content. Those days were they took the original versions and greatly improve over them, like they did were FR/LG and HG/SS are a thing of the past, so there's literallly 0 chance of them doing the extra effort of mixing content from BW2 into BW remakes.

With that being the case, I actually prefer the ILCA treatment. Yes, they won't be as great as past remakes done by Game Freak, but it'll probably exceed in quality what Game Freak is able to do now. In fact, it won't surprise me if somehow, and for some reason, Game Freak decided to just get rid of the Battle Subway as a whole, making remakes with less content than the original games released for the Nintendo DS in a 256/512 MB cartridge.

The good ending would be past-Game Freak doing another HG/SS with BW, but since this isn't happening, the not so bad ending is ILCA being at least faithful to the originals while improving the teams and so on like they did with BDSP. No matter what they do, games will have less available mons than the originals BW, so they actually have less content no matter who ends up making them.
Yeah, I'm not seeing much reason to be excited for the trends in new content, so "don't (further) break what works" is the best we can hope for.

I think there are a few changes that an ILCA BW1 would make even just talking about BW2, like making the EV berries obtainable outside of only the Dream World or a random drop from 5-player spin trades (which should have been brought back in BDSP anyway), making Zorua and Snarl obtainable in the main campaign, adding the reveal glass + dumping the DNA Splicers somewhere to make modern forms obtainable, and also adding multiselect to the boxes as well as the B2W2 box backgrounds.

If Game Freak remakes Black and White, and by Game Freak I mean the actual Game Freak, it'll be based on Black and White with no Black and White II content. Those days were they took the original versions and greatly improve over them, like they did were FR/LG and HG/SS are a thing of the past, so there's literallly 0 chance of them doing the extra effort of mixing content from BW2 into BW remakes.

With that being the case, I actually prefer the ILCA treatment. Yes, they won't be as great as past remakes done by Game Freak, but it'll probably exceed in quality what Game Freak is able to do now. In fact, it won't surprise me if somehow, and for some reason, Game Freak decided to just get rid of the Battle Subway as a whole, making remakes with less content than the original games released for the Nintendo DS in a 256/512 MB cartridge.

The good ending would be past-Game Freak doing another HG/SS with BW, but since this isn't happening, the not so bad ending is ILCA being at least faithful to the originals while improving the teams and so on like they did with BDSP. No matter what they do, games will have less available mons than the originals BW, so they actually have less content no matter who ends up making them.
Why are you saying this “Game Freak would do this, Game Freak would do that” when the last non-Let’s Go remake they (not ILCA) developed came out almost ten years ago, so we don’t have anything else to go off of that’s more recent than that. I consider Let's Go its own thing that doesn't really show how a future remake would work.
I would say that ORAS as "took the original versions and greatly improve[d] over them, the only major reason anyone has for liking Emerald more is the battle frontier. I think that if Emerald had no battle frontier, nobody would argue ORAS was worse. I don't think the same would happen for BDSP if Platinum didn't have one.

Why are you saying this “Game Freak would do this, Game Freak would do that” when the last non-Let’s Go remake they (not ILCA) developed came out almost ten years ago, so we don’t have anything else to go off of that’s more recent than that. I consider Let's Go its own thing that doesn't really show how a future remake would work.
I would say that ORAS as "took the original versions and greatly improve[d] over them, the only major reason anyone has for liking Emerald more is the battle frontier. I think that if Emerald had no battle frontier, nobody would argue ORAS was worse. I don't think the same would happen for BDSP if Platinum didn't have one.
For me, it's based on how they've designed the non-remake games. It's reasonable to figure that the changes they would make would bring the game being remade closer to what they are currently doing for Pokemon games in general, which is not a direction I'm a fan of.

I think there are a few changes that an ILCA BW1 would make even just talking about BW2, like making the EV berries obtainable outside of only the Dream World or a random drop from 5-player spin trades (which should have been brought back in BDSP anyway), making Zorua and Snarl obtainable in the main campaign, adding the reveal glass + dumping the DNA Splicers somewhere to make modern forms obtainable, and also adding multiselect to the boxes as well as the B2W2 box backgrounds.
Pretty much. There's not a lot to be expected besides "Updated, 3D BW1" when it comes to an ILCA faithful remake, even though they might add some neat things like how they did the Grand Underground in BDSP.
I can actually see them adding some kind of Dream World nod in-game.

BW1 doesn't really have grotesque flaws as a base like DP did, so as much as it will be funny to bask in the salt when it's announced, an ILCA spin on BW1 wouldn't be as obnoxious as BDSP.

Those who actually like BW1 might even find themselves satisfied.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion

This is pretty much exactly my feeling, expressed more clearly than I have so far.

I've been saying "I've got a completely open mind, I'll open to whatever they announce" only because... I don't really care. An ILCA BW is not something I can get myself excited about. As you say, they'll doubtless have less overall content than the originals, which hold up perfectly well. And if they look uglier and goofier than the originals that's even less incentive.

Gen 10 would just be a mild source of interest for the next few months. I'll enjoy the teases, the reveals, the reading about new places and Pokemon, but ultimately it's very unlikely I'll feel compelled to play it, especially since at this point there's no doubt whatsoever that Gen 10 would be a sloppy undercooked mess. I've been saying for ages "oh, maybe I'll buy SwSh/ScVi" or "oh, if the DLC is really good I'll buy SwSh/ScVi" or "oh, maybe I should get round to playing Legends:Arceus" but I still haven't, and frankly if that hasn't changed by now it's not going to. A Johto game would maybe, just maybe, get me interested enough to be tempted to buy it but I just don't think it's happening.

It's a little bleak that those are the main options everyone expects, alongwith updates/sequels to the existing spin-offs. There could be all manner of truly innovative ideas coming, but at this point it's like no-one has any faith that that'll happen.

Still. Let's not be all doom and gloom, eh.

English is not my mother tongue, and while this can also be the case for you, maybe you are simply better at it than me. I say this in case that you want to unnecesary correct every mistake I make with those "[]", even if by context it's perfectly understandable.

You asked me what am I taking into consideration when making those asumptions if 10 years have passed since the last remakes. I don't know, have you heard about Pokémon Sword and Shield? Or about Scarlet and Violet? Or, why not, even about Sun and Moon, or X and Y, or the absolute decay of the franchise in the last years not only in terms of quality but in raw content too?

Do you remember how not a single Battle Tower exists in Pokémon Gold and Silver (only in Crystal and it is substantially different from the one we know now), yet they added not a Battle Tower but the entire Platinum Frontier into the games just because they could? And do you remember how they didn't add the Battle Frontier from Emerald into ORAS because "they were mostly based on Ruby and Sapphire"? Oh. Fine.

"I think that if Emerald had no battle frontier, nobody would argue ORAS was worse". Yes, and I do think that if my grandmother had weels, it'd be a motorcycle. But my grandma is still my grandma and Emerald has Battle Frontier. I don't know what the point of this "if this reality didn't happen and this reality I just made in my head existed in its place... [insert favorable point]". Yes, and if a great game were trash instead of a great game, it'd be trash. And if someone tall were short, it'll be short. And if something good were bad, it'd be bad.

The point is the Battle Frontier of Emerald in itself was absent from ORAS, while the battle frontier from IV was present 2 generations earlier. Now imagine after Sword and Shield or Scarlet and Violet, games that are just Pokémon Go with raids and normal gyms lol.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
It's a little bleak that those are the main options everyone expects, alongwith updates/sequels to the existing spin-offs.
In all fairness, it's not just general cynicism about the state of the franchise that's causing this. It's become obvious to everyone by now that the Switch is in its sunset phase considering the whole "major" release calendar for it this year other than a few exceptions is nothing but remakes and remasters. Couple that with Switch 2 rumors up the wazoo and it'd be reasonable to expect that any remaining mainline Pokemon releases on this system aren't gonna be exactly mindboggling or huge even in a best-case scenario.

That said, I wouldn't be so set on a BW1 remake being made under the same conditions as BDSP being innately better. Reminder: This development cycle couldn't even handle the mildly facelifted Amity Square from Platinum. Let that fact simmer in your head as you then contemplate what such conditions would lead to upon trying to replicate the far more visually complex things from Unova, from N's Castle to the bridges to heaven forbid Marine Tube or Pokestar Studios.

In all fairness, it's not just general cynicism about the state of the franchise that's causing this. It's become obvious to everyone by now that the Switch is in its sunset phase considering the whole "major" release calendar for it this year other than a few exceptions is nothing but remakes and remasters. Couple that with Switch 2 rumors up the wazoo and it'd be reasonable to expect that any remaining mainline Pokemon releases on this system aren't gonna be exactly mindboggling or huge even in a best-case scenario.

That said, I wouldn't be so set on a BW1 remake being made under the same conditions as BDSP being innately better. Reminder: This development cycle couldn't even handle the mildly facelifted Amity Square from Platinum. Let that fact simmer in your head as you then contemplate what such conditions would lead to upon trying to replicate the far more visually complex things from Unova, from N's Castle to the bridges to heaven forbid Marine Tube or Pokestar Studios.
I don't see how the Amity Square stuff matters any more than anything else. They didn't take most of the small changes from Platinum, even ones that were just swapping items for better items or adding a tiny pile of snow or just generally using the Platinum tilesets as a base.
If they were dedicated to "literally DP" as a design conceit then more dev time would likely have not lead to things like Amity Square's update. Because that's a Platinum change.

I think dev cycles probably did result in pulling back on a number of BDSP plans but your example was likely not another victim, per say.

ILCA BW1 remake could be a lovingly hand crafted gorgeous masterpiece with 5 years of care behind it but it would probably not have the Marine Tube or Pokestar or any of that. Because they'd still be approaching it from a BW1 remake perspective.

e: Also since they would have had to reimplement anything in the game from "scratch", PT Amity was likely not much more demanding than DP Amity anyway

Last edited:
Funny enough, as someone who has never been able to play Diamond or Pearl for more than an hour without wanting to break my DS in half, the conscious retention of DP’s location designs for places like Amity Square and the Battle Zone in BDSP was actually kind of novel for me since I’m so accustomed to the Platinum version of Sinnoh.

I mean, the DP versions all still look worse, of course, but I at least had a lot of moments where I was like “Oh neat, that’s not how I remember this place”

Last edited:
Pretty much. There's not a lot to be expected besides "Updated, 3D BW1" when it comes to an ILCA faithful remake, even though they might add some neat things like how they did the Grand Underground in BDSP.
I can actually see them adding some kind of Dream World nod in-game.

BW1 doesn't really have grotesque flaws as a base like DP did, so as much as it will be funny to bask in the salt when it's announced, an ILCA spin on BW1 wouldn't be as obnoxious as BDSP.

Those who actually like BW1 might even find themselves satisfied.
I think there's still a lot to be expected if it happens, like one of the most contentious things an ILCA BW remake would do is to either ignore ribbons again to be faithful, or add new ones for every achievement in Unova to tempt people to get them. Things likely to be replaced are the C-Gear's StreetPass features and skins with the Entralink being another story, the GTS and Wonder Launcher/Triples/Rotations and xtransceiver/voice chat support, and musicals + props similarly going away in favour of something like BDSP's contests or just replacing the building with a clothing store. For modern features we could see diagonal controls being added, overworld box usage, potentially free moveset editing + egg move passing if following Gen 9's example, and HMs would be removed but there isn't a mon as iconic as Bibarel to use them in Unova. Also I think it would be pretty exciting to see the BW Hall of Fame get a new fairy type background, even if there are no primary fairies in the Unova dex. On the other hand I would agree with not expecting a lot of unique aspects from B2W2 outside of its context like the Pokemon "World" Tournament, Join Avenue, or the key system though White Treehollow and Black Tower would probably work fine being relegated to the postgame. Overall I would see it playing more closely to BDSP than BW was to DP for the loss of the unique features Gen 5 took advantage of in its time.

Regardless of what happens, I'm open to whatever comes tomorrow with refreshing uncertainty, and I hope it's something experimental again like PLA just making up its own new mechanics and changing moves to fit its style. However, the one new game concept I would be opposed to is "Let's Go Togepi". I think Togepi being in the starter position would not fit well with its existing plot role as the Mystery Egg, nor would it make sense for something like a Marill to be in the same position as Togepi hatching from an egg, and the idea of Togepi being the starter with a paired version implies that your rival would have a Togepi in the other game for some reason. I just can't imagine how it would work and I would not want to play as a Togepi for the entire game no matter how buff its stats are or what signature moves they give it.

i have long acknowledged that i am Part Of The Problem and will always be satisfied enough with the main games to continue tagging along. i am not really fretting over whether the region revisit games will be bad because it's not likely to be bad enough to turn me off of them lol. honesty is the best policy.

my only wish is that, when we get new johto games, that they are johto ONLY. kanto has had it too easy for too long and i am burned out. let johto shine on its own.

You asked me what am I taking into consideration when making those asumptions if 10 years have passed since the last remakes. I don't know, have you heard about Pokémon Sword and Shield? Or about Scarlet and Violet? Or, why not, even about Sun and Moon, or X and Y, or the absolute decay of the franchise in the last years not only in terms of quality but in raw content too?
My point is that none of the games you just listed are remakes, so while some of their traits could be in a BW remake, it's not as likely as a brand new game because those are brand new games and GF has not developed a non-Let's Go remake by themselves since 2019.
Do you remember how not a single Battle Tower exists in Pokémon Gold and Silver (only in Crystal and it is substantially different from the one we know now), yet they added not a Battle Tower but the entire Platinum Frontier into the games just because they could? And do you remember how they didn't add the Battle Frontier from Emerald into ORAS because "they were mostly based on Ruby and Sapphire"? Oh. Fine.

"I think that if Emerald had no battle frontier, nobody would argue ORAS was worse". Yes, and I do think that if my grandmother had weels, it'd be a motorcycle. But my grandma is still my grandma and Emerald has Battle Frontier. I don't know what the point of this "if this reality didn't happen and this reality I just made in my head existed in its place... [insert favorable point]". Yes, and if a great game were trash instead of a great game, it'd be trash. And if someone tall were short, it'll be short. And if something good were bad, it'd be bad.

The point is the Battle Frontier of Emerald in itself was absent from ORAS, while the battle frontier from IV was present 2 generations earlier. Now imagine after Sword and Shield or Scarlet and Violet, games that are just Pokémon Go with raids and normal gyms lol.
When I gave the example of "what if Emerald had no battle frontier" I was trying to say that it's the only major reason ORAS is seen as worse. There's nothing else I can think of off the top of my head that people tend to not like about ORAS that involves a feature that wasn't in ORAS but was in Emerald. Meanwhile most people who prefer Platinum over BDSP are also frustrated with not having a battle frontier but it's one of many reasons.

It kinda depends how you define 'improvement', because while ORAS definitely added a bunch of fun new features, the general power creep of the series as a whole means that the basic gameplay is less fun for me. As the player, you have so many new tools to work with compared with Emerald, while most AI trainers barely feel stronger than their RS equivalents. Relatedly, RS/ORAS Gym Leader rosters are generally less interesting than Emerald's (the one exception being Winona imo) and Emerald's emphasis on double battles (probably my favourite thing about the game) wasn't carried forward to ORAS. Omitting the Battle Frontier was a disappointment, but it's far from the only complaint I have about the remakes.
i have long acknowledged that i am Part Of The Problem and will always be satisfied enough with the main games to continue tagging along. i am not really fretting over whether the region revisit games will be bad because it's not likely to be bad enough to turn me off of them lol. honesty is the best policy.

my only wish is that, when we get new johto games, that they are johto ONLY. kanto has had it too easy for too long and i am burned out. let johto shine on its own.
100% agreed. I can't see myself not buying whatever they put out, no matter how often I'm disappointed haha.

I actually think a reimagined 'full-game' Johto is the best chance we have to get a main series Pokemon game that feels both polished and fresh.

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
I think there's still a lot to be expected if it happens, like one of the most contentious things an ILCA BW remake would do is to either ignore ribbons again to be faithful, or add new ones for every achievement in Unova to tempt people to get them. Things likely to be replaced are the C-Gear's StreetPass features and skins with the Entralink being another story, the GTS and Wonder Launcher/Triples/Rotations and xtransceiver/voice chat support, and musicals + props similarly going away in favour of something like BDSP's contests or just replacing the building with a clothing store. For modern features we could see diagonal controls being added, overworld box usage, potentially free moveset editing + egg move passing if following Gen 9's example, and HMs would be removed but there isn't a mon as iconic as Bibarel to use them in Unova. Also I think it would be pretty exciting to see the BW Hall of Fame get a new fairy type background, even if there are no primary fairies in the Unova dex. On the other hand I would agree with not expecting a lot of unique aspects from B2W2 outside of its context like the Pokemon "World" Tournament, Join Avenue, or the key system though White Treehollow and Black Tower would probably work fine being relegated to the postgame. Overall I would see it playing more closely to BDSP than BW was to DP for the loss of the unique features Gen 5 took advantage of in its time.

Regardless of what happens, I'm open to whatever comes tomorrow with refreshing uncertainty, and I hope it's something experimental again like PLA just making up its own new mechanics and changing moves to fit its style. However, the one new game concept I would be opposed to is "Let's Go Togepi". I think Togepi being in the starter position would not fit well with its existing plot role as the Mystery Egg, nor would it make sense for something like a Marill to be in the same position as Togepi hatching from an egg, and the idea of Togepi being the starter with a paired version implies that your rival would have a Togepi in the other game for some reason. I just can't imagine how it would work and I would not want to play as a Togepi for the entire game no matter how buff its stats are or what signature moves they give it.
There's not really a fitting starter choice for a Let's Go Johto, is there?

Togepi, as you say, doesn't work

Magby and Elekid would be cool, but don't have the notoriety and draw; neither do Snubbull and Marill (I'm not particularly into either and if that was the choice it'd genuinely be a factor in not getting the games) or Cleffa and Igglybuff

Pichu kind of works but the question is what do you pair it with

Espeon and Umbreon are too strong

Eevee, just straight-up again, would kind of work but would they really want to do that?

For modern features we could see diagonal controls being added, overworld box usage, potentially free moveset editing + egg move passing if following Gen 9's example, and HMs would be removed but there isn't a mon as iconic as Bibarel to use them in Unova.
Watchog? Especially as a way to hype it up considering there are only four other evolutionary lines (elemental monkeys + Furfrou) who aren't in any of the mainline Switch games.
Now you have me thinking of a Let's Go game's "nice" replacement for Silver like Trace for Blue and that's almost as cursed as Pokemon Vantablack.
It kinda depends how you define 'improvement', because while ORAS definitely added a bunch of fun new features, the general power creep of the series as a whole means that the basic gameplay is less fun for me. As the player, you have so many new tools to work with compared with Emerald, while most AI trainers barely feel stronger than their RS equivalents. Relatedly, RS/ORAS Gym Leader rosters are generally less interesting than Emerald's (the one exception being Winona imo) and Emerald's emphasis on double battles (probably my favourite thing about the game) wasn't carried forward to ORAS. Omitting the Battle Frontier was a disappointment, but it's far from the only complaint I have about the remakes.
I understand the powercreep thing but I don't see it as more complained about than powercreep in BDSP (think Exp Share, friendship and affection merge), though maybe that's just because it's easier to ignore something like Mega Evolution (you choose when to use it) than friendship and affection merge (forced for the entire game), so the people who would have complained about powercreep in ORAS despite the trainers having similarly strong teams forced themselves to not run into that powercreep.

Some predictions based on attempted business logic:
  1. The presentation will be short, perhaps shorter than 13 minutes (the shortest Pokemon Day presentation we've had so far). This would justify why TPC isn't revealing the length in advance.
https://gonintendo.com/contents/32491-tomorrow-s-pokemon-presents-is-about-13-minutes-long

Called it.

The Japanese premiere link has been uploaded, revealing a presentation length of 12 minutes 52 seconds through a metadata leak. I wonder if Youtube will patch this bug because it's on Youtube's end.

There's also a rumor floating around on r/PokeLeaks saying that usually, some of Game Freak's senior staff post "hey make sure you don't miss the presentation" messages on social media about 24 hours before, but this year, there are no such messages. This implies that nothing in the presentation is made by Game Freak (either no main series or ILCA main series).

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
https://gonintendo.com/contents/32491-tomorrow-s-pokemon-presents-is-about-13-minutes-long

Called it.

The Japanese premiere link has been uploaded, revealing a presentation length of 12 minutes 52 seconds through a metadata leak. I wonder if Youtube will patch this bug because it's on Youtube's end.

There's also a rumor floating around on r/PokeLeaks saying that usually, some of Game Freak's senior staff post "hey make sure you don't miss the presentation" messages on social media about 24 hours before, but this year, there are no such messages. This implies that nothing in the presentation is made by Game Freak (either no main series or ILCA main series).
Guys, I'm telling you, we aren't getting any new main series games here. I'm more than willing to get called out if I'm wrong, though. Maybe it's just my recent dose of copium speaking, but I really do hope and expect it's those Generation 1 and/or Generation 2 ports we're getting this year instead. Preferably we get Generation 3 after all of that, but let's take this one step at a time.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming

Called it.

This is at least encouraging from a "Game Freak being allowed to take their time for once" perspective. Now we hope that if there is an outsourced mainline title it isn't total slop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)