Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kinda confused why the toy is brown but the real artwork is green...?

And please, those Pokejungle rumors are bullshit. It's way too much of a coincidence that a small blog site gets exclusive inside information straight after the owner talked about their spike in traffic. The guy just took the best opportunity to continue getting hits, and definitely worked by the looks of it.

I'm kinda confused why the toy is brown but the real artwork is green...?

And please, those Pokejungle rumors are bullshit. It's way too much of a coincidence that a small blog site gets exclusive inside information straight after the owner talked about their spike in traffic. The guy just took the best opportunity to continue getting hits, and definitely worked by the looks of it.
Not sure but I think it's due to the way they colour the plastic, a lot of Pokemon toys are slightly miscoloured.

Nice post. What would the English legend be that Absol may have been based on?
From Bulbapedia:

Bulbapedia said:
"Absol may be based on the Barghest, a monstrous black dog in English folklore. Seeing one was believed to portend imminent death or misfortune"
Although they have that one first, Absol is more likely (in my opinion) to be based on:
Bulbapedia said:
Also, Absol may resemble the kutabe, a white beast that predicted that a plague would sweep through the Toyama Prefecture of Japan.
Then again, both of those could be from the exact same story just told in two different places of the world.

So with two of the pokemon, as well as the female character getting confirmed, I think it's safe to assume that that beta art is real. If that's the case, then I'm happy as hell. A boxing otter is pretty kick ass, and those haters will be able to take back everything they said about the poor little Wotter. Smugleaf's evo doesn't look too good too, which makes it so much sweeter.

There are many that aren't based on Japanese mythology:

-Magikarp/Gyarados are based off of chinese legend.
-Natu/Xatu are a bit of a mix of north american native culture (in terms of appearance) and apparently something to do with an Aztec god (though just in the english name).
-Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza are possibly the hebrew Leviathan, Behemoth and Ziz
-Nosepass is a lot like the Easter Island Moai statues. It looked the part a lot more back in gen3 sprites though.
-Delibird is clearly an homage Santa Claus, who is celebrated in japan, but isn't japanese in origin.
-The Regis are based on golems, again Hebrew.
-Absol is either japanese or english, but I'm going to guess it is based on the japanese version of the story.
-Rampardos and Bastiodon are based on the unstoppable force vs. immovable object paradox, unclear origin on this although there is an old chinese story involving a peddler trying to sell a spear that can pierce any shield and a shield that can deflect any blow.
-Abomasnow is based off the Yeti which is kind of a worldwide legend with no clear origins. The Abominable Snowman for which it is named is yet another variation on the yeti story simply renamed by different people.

A few others are difficult to place because there isn't a clear origin (in the case of Torterra's world turtles) or it would be arguing semantics like in the case of Infernape, who is based of Son Gokou who is just the japanese version of a chinese story. One could argue that Arseus is simply another version of that one story that has been floating around for a long long time. You know the one I'm talking about, the one the bible "borrowed" and the church claims is fact but thats a story for another time.

Anyway this is what I came up through one run of the pokedex as well as combining bulbapedia and google, so take it with a grain of salt if you must. But I think it shows that not everything mythological in pokemon is purely Japanese.

These are just ones based on some sort of quick glance mythology as well, ignoring the stuff based strictly on nature which may or may not be present in Japan.
I stand corrected... Though Rampardos and Bastiodon are based on Pachycephalosaurus and Zuniceratops respectively.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
People are getting all worked up over that Poké Ball for no reason. It says "Monster Ball" which is just the Japanese name for Poké Ball.

Anyone else freakin' excited about this gen? The Pokemon all look original and imaginative, plus the storyline of 8 Gym Leaders + E4 isn't happening. I just hope the plot's not lame.

Anyone else freakin' excited about this gen? The Pokemon all look original and imaginative, plus the storyline of 8 Gym Leaders + E4 isn't happening. I just hope the plot's not lame.
That was just a rumor. In all likeliness, the Gyms and Elite 4 will return, especially since we've seen what's quite likely to be the Bug Gym (Gym Music even played when it was shown on Pokemon Sunday) already.

Speaking of which. Do we know anything about how the game will play out if it isn't going to revolve around obtaining badges and beating the champ?

I feel like the gyms will be present as they are still are major part of the pokemon world but I beleive there will be less emphasis on them and more freedom ingame. I guess thats just what I hope for and honestly I feel that gamefreak has a pretty good idea of what we want from looking at some of the pokemon so I am hoping for and expecting a curveball in the usual linear pokemon storyline.

I feel like the gyms will be present as they are still are major part of the pokemon world but I beleive there will be less emphasis on them and more freedom ingame. I guess thats just what I hope for and honestly I feel that gamefreak has a pretty good idea of what we want from looking at some of the pokemon so I am hoping for and expecting a curveball in the usual linear pokemon storyline.
I think it would be awesome if they had sidequests like hunting for rare Pokemon like a quest or finding items,just something off the main plot.
Things like the bug catching contest ,but for a single Pokemon,and you have like a hour to catch a rare Pokemon,or get a prize based on how rare it is.

about the pictures on serebii of the new Pokemon:

it's green... now, this could easily be because of the toy having a bad colouring job, but it looks too green. like they just put a green tint on it in Photoshop, and it's not the real colouration. If the green is the right colour, I don't know why the toy would be so obviously not green. Ill wait for a better resolution picture, as the colour may be clearer/different.

regardless, it still looks like Ononokusu's first stage to me.

The toys were never confirmed as real. Ignoring that fact, toys have a reputation of not being the best representation of the original. The coloring on the poster is most likely the correct color (considering it is the official Sugimori art of the Pokémon).
that is true. I guess I was just used to they Toy's colouring so I found it odd.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The toys were never confirmed as real. Ignoring that fact, toys have a reputation of not being the best representation of the original. The coloring on the poster is most likely the correct color (considering it is the official Sugimori art of the Pokémon).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)