Other pls help with mono bug team

Bug Monotype

This is my second rate my team and I have decided to make this one after switching to the bug type.
After a few weeks of testing different bug monotypes I have decided to get help with my monotype. I have tried to include a few reasons as to why I have each pokemon so that you can rate my team better.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Genesect was one of the reasons I chose the bug monotype, since it is an unbanned uber. The main reason it has stayed on my team is because its high damage output and coverage that I feel no other bug type can do without a few boosts. I use the scarf set since that + sticky webs provided by galvantula let me outspeed certain fast things like mega charizard x after a dragon dance (assuming its adamant) and sand rush jolly excadrill in sand after -1 speed from sticky webs. Genesect mainly comes in after something has died and revenges it or scouts with u turn, which I consider important for my team.

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ground]

My second pokemon that I thought of was volcarona, since I always viewed it as extremely bulky (I used an electric monotype before and volcarona is very bulky on the special side) to the point were I ran a 4x suppereffective move on an expert belt pokemon just for the purpose of killing volcarona. After realizing that the bulk was only on its special side I still decided to keep volcarona. Volcarona usually serves as a switch in to fire types or resisted physical moves such as fake outs (fishing for burn) and flamethrowers or overheats. The reason I chose these moves go as follows, quiver dance and fiery dance are standard, roost over bug buzz since I wanted recovery and felt that as a bug monotype I would have the bug moves I needed, and hidden power ground to hit heatran hard, but it has let me get past checks several times (not true checks, but things people switch in that resist fire/grass/bug and can hit back with powerful moves such as dragalage)

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Superpower
After having my volcarona + genesect team I chose mega pinsir, another pokemon I have been fascinated with. The moveset is standard, but even though its predictable it still sweeps weak to STAB teams such as fighting and grass. The sheer power of mega pinsir along with swords dance and a nice speed made me keep it instead of switching it for mega scizor beedrill or heracross. I have mega pinsir to be able to set up swords dance and sweep or to get a quick ko with quick attack then retreat.

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
Heracross is a pokemon I put on after I made the team, replacing a choice band scizor. I feel that it is an important part of my team because edgequake can put lots of dents into teams, specifically fire type monotypes, which I struggle with. I cant decide whether to put heracross down as my revenge killer 2 or as a sweeper, as it tends to do both. With the fairly standard moveset it can get quick kos with scarf + STAB or coverage, and if sticky webs are up then it gets the occasional sweep. Heracross' job though, is to put dents into opposing teams to let volcarona or mega pinsir sweep, something I feel that other bugs cant do as well as scizor.

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball
- Sticky Web
Galvantula was also a second choice, chosen to just set webs and die. The moves are for coverage and not much else can be said about galvantula. Another web setter might work but might be too passive, which has kept me from switching it out. Another reason that I like galvantula is that thunder has near perfect accuracy, which lets me do a lot of damage and the 30% paralyze chance can give me space to work around, as opposed to shuckles toxic status. Another thing is that the speed lets me outspeed slower taunt users and get webs up, while also not being bait for taunt by being able to do massive damage quickly by not relying on infestation + toxic + rest.

Forretress @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Explosion
Since I didn't have shuckle I needed something else to set up rocks when I needed it, and forretress felt like a good pokemon to add onto my team. Another thing that made me choose forretress over the other bugs is momentum grabbing volt switch, which armaldo cant do. Volt switch lets me bring in another pokemon without the risk of it being attacked, and custap berry explosion is to get a few surprise kos.

Threats

Scarfinti, and fire type monos in general really hurt this team. With volcarona as my only switch in to fire, their use of rocks via infernape, and that the physical ones cant be burnt let them easily overpower my team. My only hope is to use sticky webs + herracross/genesect to damage the team to a point were mega pinsir or volcarona can take out the remaining members.

Fletchinder and doublade, or strong priority in general. While fletchinder isnt much of a problem since I have multiple ways of getting past it, it is a problem on fire teams if they use it to keep forcing out my herracross, and if they have rocks up it does alot of damage. Doublade also is a problem with shadow sneak, since with eviolite its very bulky and can set up a swords dance and it resists my main priority and my pokemon that can damage it alot are pokemon who dont resist shadow sneak and are very bulky.

Haxkiss, and hax in general. Missing stone edges, getting fully paralyzed, etc. Not something that can be fixed completely but I feel that I'm not doing everything I can to stop myself from getting hax and relying on moves that miss to win games.

Scarf terrakion, or scarfs in general, since with scarf they can outspeed my scarfers and proceed to do a lot of damage.

=== [monotype] stolen team ===
Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Superpower

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball
- Sticky Web

Forretress @ Custap Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Explosion

Last edited:

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think I faced this team, my showdown name is Nerdeon and I play mono-fighting if you remember me.

For your threatlist, add scarf terrakion. It does major major damage to your team.

Anyways, for improvements? I personally prefer Shuckle > Forretress for hazards, and if you add shuckle with sticky web then you dont need sashweb galvantula which can then be turned into either a full offense galvantula or just replaced completely, for a banded scizor (I like that idea).

Just some suggestions, if you disagree then its whatever. Also add some replays showcasing your team, because I don't have the energy to make an alt and try laddering to see what your team needs but replays would help.

I have taken your suggestions and replaced forretress with shuckle.

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Knock Off

Since forretress is now gone I decided I needed a pokemon who can clear hazards so I chose defog scizor, and also since shuckle is bulky it can set up hazards a few times during a match if I need it to.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Also a few replays with the new team:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-249398903
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-249428530
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-249635915
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-249639727
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-250067402
(Will be adding more as I play more with the team)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)