Pedro Martinez: The Newest Phillie

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Phils made it official today--they signed Pedro Martinez. A lot of unintelligent baseball fans (mostly Mets fans I assume) are bashing this move for the Phils.

But, people aren't looking at the big picture.

1). He signed a 1 year contract for 1 million dollars (1.5 with incentives, and I'd be thrilled to pay those incentives if he hits them!).

2). We didn't sign him to be an ace. He's going to be our #5 guy. I'm ok with a former Cy-Young winner being my 5th starter.

3). Oodles of playoff experience.

4). Desire to prove he still has something left.

5). Despite the fact that his velocity has fallen off, his stuff is still nasty. Could you imagine him coming out of the bullpen for the 7th or 8th inning in a playoff game, getting us to Romero-Lidge?

6). He looked good in the WBC...and his shoulder is getting healthier by the day.

This also in no way means that they aren't going after Halladay, because they still are. They'd love to see a Halladay-Hamels-Happ-Blanton/Moyer playoff rotation. That'd be nice. I just don't want to mortgage the future too much for Halladay...he's no spring chicken.

Thoughts? Do you see my logic? Or are you against this move? If so...what are your arguments?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)