Passing a driver's test.

Today, I took my behind-the-wheel test for my license and I failed it. My instructor said that I entered a center left turn lane from the outside, which warrants an instant disqualification (it's worth noting that this occured at a T, not a fourway intersection). That sounded simple as she was telling me this in the car, but after consulting a driver's handbook and about a dozen websites on proper etiquette for entering center left turn lanes, I can honestly say that I don't have a fucking clue what I did wrong or what (not) to do next time.
So, can anyone explain this to me?

Did you cross multiple lanes to do this, or merge way too early? Technically merging multiple lanes at once is illegal, and I can also see how she might call you on crossing the double yellow line on the lane, instead of waiting for it to get dotted and legal.

There was only one lane on each side of the center left turn lane, and the whole center left turn lane was marked by a solid yellow then a dotted yellow. The only thing I can think of is that I may have merged too late rather than too early, because she pointed out that one can drive for up to 200 feet in the center left turn lane.

Or maybe that's the nice way of saying "You suck at driving" and they just wanted to go easy on you. Passing the behind-the-wheel is really easy unless you have an asshole instructor

Theoretically, yes. When you defy laws that evidently exist nowhere except your driving instructor's head, no. Also: if it's really easy, do you mind telling me what I might have done wrong?

Go again and hope you get a better person to test you. It's just luck of the draw for a lot of people, as long as you drive conservatively.

I probably sucked when I entered the center left turn lane in the manner that the handbook illustrates. I probably pissed off the intructor by being eighteen.

I think you did do it too late, you do have to commit to the turn lane so many feet before the intersection. I think your instructor just said it weird.

@The Diverman: Yes, I'm starting to think that too. It was more of a turn into the lane than a merge, I suppose. Something that minute barely seems to warrant an insta DQ, but fuck it's the DMV.

@Whistle: I think it's funny how blue the sky is.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
I failed my first driving test, then I stopped being a woman and passed it!

really though, apparently you auto-fail if you jump the curb when trying to parallel park, and my instructor had me park on a side street that basically HAD no curb, so you didn't even know you were on it until the instructor said "oof…." after looking in the side mirror. bitch.

After five years, how would you go about entering/turning out of a two way center turn lane up to ALL POWERFUL GOVERNMENT STANDARDS?

Although I passed on the first try, I do think that a lot of times they pick one mistake to "blame," in order to avoid saying that they really just thought you drove nervously and didn't really seem to have enough experience.

Think about how you drove on your test. You were really skittish, you checked your mirrors ninety million times, you never went the speed limit, you turned your turn signal on about 1,000 feet before your turn, etc. Now what if you had to take a test? You'd just drive where they told you to drive, like a boss. You have no doubt you could pass the test now. That confidence has been shown in studies to actually make you a better driver than someone who goes slow and triple-checks everything.

Testers can tell this. They see someone who is clearly thinking "I may not be quite ready; I may fail this test! I have to be careful!" And if you, in your teenage hubris, think you may not be ready, you probably aren't.

Of course, some testers are also jerks who took the job because they hate young people and want to teach them a lesson. Fishy seems like she drew one of these.

Ugh...bull's eye. Skittish is a good word to describe how I was driving in hindisght. I drove pretty slow, checked the mirrors a lot, but I don't think I was too premature with the blinker. And one of the people at the desk of the DMV suggested that I mimic a bobblehead in regard to the mirrors, so yeah...

The DMV is, of course, in the city, and I live in a town about twenty miles away. Most of my experience is here in the town, so it's difficult to gain experience in city driving without using more gas than I can afford. Any suggestions on that?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
center turning lanes are complete bitches, like the only ones in my state are in my home town and its just so so dumb. just dont merge until the double lines are dashed on your side of the road and you're fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)