Pokémon Passimian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Passimian

Type
: Fighting
Weaknesses:

Resistances:

Base Stats: 100 HP/120 Attack/90 Defense/40 Special Attack/60 Special Defense/80 Speed
Ability: Receiver- The Pokemon copies the ability of a defeated ally. (Useless in singles)
Hidden Ability: Defiant- Boosts the Pokemon's Attack stat sharply when its stats are lowered (From the opponent, so a move like Close Combat does not boost your Attack, but an opponents Defog or Intimidate would) UNRELEASED
Moves
:
Lv. 0 Tackle
Lv. 4 Leer
Lv. 8 Rock Smash
Lv. 11 Focus Energy
Lv. 15 Beat Up
Lv. 18 Scary Face
Lv. 22 Take Down
Lv. 25 Bestow
Lv. 29 Thrash
Lv. 32 Bulk Up
Lv. 36 Double Edge
Lv. 39 Fling
Lv. 43 Close Combat
Lv. 46 Reversal
Lv. 50 Giga Impact

Work Up
Toxic
Bulk Up
Hidden Power
Sunny Day
Taunt
Hyper Beam
Protect
Rain Dance
Frustration
Smack Down
Earthquake
Return
Shadow Ball
Brick Break
Double Team
Rock Tomb
Aerial Ace
Facade
Rest
Attract
Thief
Low Sweep
Round
Focus Blast
Energy Ball
Fling
Brutal Swing
Acrobatics
Payback
Giga Impact
Gyro Ball
Bulldoze
Rock Slide
Grass Knot
Swagger
Sleep Talk
U-Turn
Substitute
Confide

Seismic Toss
Vital Throw
Quick Guard
Iron Head
Quick Attack
Feint

New Move:
Brutal Swing:
Dark, Physical, 60 BP, 100% Accuracy, 20 PP (32 Max), Hits all opponents

Breakneck Blitz (Normal) Physical/Special
All-Out Pummeling (Fighting) Physical/Special
Supersonic Skystrike (Flying) Physical
Tectonic Rage (Ground) Physical
Continental Crush (Rock) Physical
Savage Spin-Out (Bug) Physical
Never-Ending Nightmare (Ghost) Special
Corkscrew Crash (Steel) Physical
Bloom Doom (Grass) Special
Black Hole Eclipse (Dark) Physical

Analysis
Passimian seems like an interesting Pokemon, as it has a combination of high Attack and ok HP, Defense, and Speed. Because of it's stats, it can be run as a great physical Choice Scarf Pokemon. It has a large physical move pool to make good use of it's Attack stat, and a strong Fighting STAB in Close Combat, as well as other good coverage moves such as Earthquake, Iron Head, Rock Slide, and U-Turn. With this, it also has a great physical set-up move in Bulk Up, so it can abuse that as well. It's ability Defiant can make it a great Defog absorber, as the drop in evasion gives it a free +2 Attack that can be used to great effect. Though it can be easily predicted because Passimian has no other ability that works in singles other than Defiant. On top of that, it's low Special Defense stat makes it harder to beat some of the special Psychic and Fairy types such as Alakazam, and Choice Scarf Tapu Lele. It also struggles against bulky Flying types such as Defensive Landorus-Therian, Gliscor, Celesteela, and Skarmory. Some other options could be Aerial Ace or Brutal Swing as coverage moves.

Sets
Physical Choice Scarf

Passimian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Receiver
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Iron Head/Rock Slide
If your using this set, you almost always need Close Combat, Earthquake, and U-Turn. The last move is based on what your team needs. Iron Head is used if your team struggles with fairy types, and Rock Slide is used if your team struggles with Flying types. A good partner to the set with Iron Head is Tapu Koko, as both beat each others problems (Passimian beats Alolan Marowak by using Earthquake, and Tapu Koko beats flying types with Thunderbolt and/or Hidden Power Ice. This set always outspeeds pokemon with less than 144 base Speed with 252+ EVs without a Choice Scarf.

Bulk Up

Passimian @ Leftovers
Ability: Receiver
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Close Combat/Brick Break
- Earthquake
- Iron Head/Rock Slide
This set is quite different from the choice scarf set, as it builds on Passimian's bulk instead of it's speed. Bulk Up boosts it's already high Attack and Defense to great levels, and Close Combat and Earthquake are two strong moves to use in conjunction with this. Brick Break can be used over Close Combat if you are too afraid of the Special Defense drops. And the choice between Iron Head and Rock Slide is the same as the choice scarf set. U-Turn could be used, but the idea of setting up and then being forced to switch out isn't that good.

Overall, Passimian is an interesting Pokemon to use. I think that it will not stay in OU for long, but it will be a strong Pokemon in lower tiers like RU or NU. It's high stats will be put to good use Pokemon when holding a Choice Scarf or using Bulk Up. Discuss possible movesets I might of missed, or even better options on the movesets that I made.
:)

Last edited:
Does Showdown still use ingame legality for abilities, or does it allow everything now? (I haven't touched it in a while so I don't know.) Because Defiant isn't actually obtainable ingame at the moment. This further limits the viability of a Pokemon that was already struggling to make a name for itself.

Does Showdown still use ingame legality for abilities, or does it allow everything now? (I haven't touched it in a while so I don't know.) Because Defiant isn't actually obtainable ingame at the moment. This further limits the viability of a Pokemon that was already struggling to make a name for itself.
It makes some Pokemon like the Starters and the Tapus unable to have their hidden abilities because they are unreleased, but Passimian's Defiant works fine.

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
Why isn't Defiant available? Does SOS chaining not work for Passimian?

I can't see it surviving in OU, but it could work in UU. It has options, it can either bank on speed or bulk, meaning your opponent has to guess whether your Passimian is a physical tank, or a speedy cleaner. Unfortunately, UU is pretty crowded with Fighting types with stronger bulk and power, meaning its most likely resting place will be RU. In RU, it will be able to take advantage of its strengths, and keep the enemy guessing what exactly it is up to.
Given its strengths, it might also make a good Z-Move carrier, as it could lure in or come in on a problem, then grab an unexpected KO with it.
Passimian suffers from a lack of recovery, and from an incredibly shallow support movepool in general. Taunt is basically the best it has to offer.

Bulk
Passimian @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 148 Def
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break/Close Combat
- Earthquake/Rock Slide
- Taunt
- U-Turn/Bulk Up
Brick Break is favored over Close Combat because dropping Defense on your tank is probably not the best idea. The second move forms your main coverage, and Taunt lets Passimian use its still decent speed to shut down an opponent who is up to no good. U-Turn is used in the last slot because Passimian doesn't really have much else, and more Turners is always a good thing. Passimian suffers from a lack of reliable recovery, Leftovers is really the best it can do in making sure Passimian can play more than one game.
Bulk Up can be used over U-Turn if you want to use Passimian as a late game cleaner, but such a strategy is impeded heavily by a lack of something like Drain Punch or Slack Off to stay in the game.

Speed
Passimian @ Z-Stone of Choice
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Earthquake/Rock Slide
- Iron Head/Acrobatics/Brutal Swing/Rock Slide/Taunt
Close Combat is the primary Stab, and U-Turn is used to build momentum. Earthquake or Rock Slide forms the primary coverage move, and then the fun begins. Determine any would-be problems the rest of your team might encounter, then outfit Passimian with the coverage move and Z-Stone of choice to eliminate it. Taunt is slashed since it is the best way to use the moveslot if you happen to want Bug, Rock, or Ground coverage. If needed, you could switch to an Adamant Nature if a particular threat needs the extra power to OHKO.
This Passimian works both as a Fighting type cleaner, and as a problem solver for your larger team make-up. If desired, you could probably morph this into a more standard Life Orb set, and exchange the coverage for Taunt.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Basically a worse Primeape (Primeape has an ability, this one does not in singles).

When Defiant is released it might be a little more worthwhile to discuss. Also needs some Elemental Punches to go with it, but that won't come until tutors are around.

Would an Adrenaline Orb be a good held item for this thing? One of the big benefits of Defiant is that your attack is raised by Intimidate instead of lowered, so with an Adrenaline Orb, getting Intimidated would give the equivalent boosts of a Dragon Dance. Passimian is one of the slower Defiant mons, so it would appreciate the speed boost more, and it has the third highest attack of all Defiant mons, so he'd hit pretty damn hard after the attack boost. Here's what I'm thinking:

Passimian @ Adrenaline Orb
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics
- Rock Slide / Iron Head
- Earthquake

96 Speed EVs makes Passimian fast enough to outspeed any non-scarfed mon with base 100 speed after the adrenaline boost. Rock Slide is chosen over Iron Head in order to get the jump on Staraptor, Salamence, and Masquerain who think they can outspeed and threaten you. Since the Adrenaline Orb is consumed after use, Acrobatics will be at full power, and it's usually better at dealing with Bugs than Rock Slide due to it being stronger and more accurate, as well as providing an answer to Tapu Bulu.

Lol this thing is bad until Defiant is released. But in all honesty, Defiant is very situational and this thing can't handle the Lati Twins and other Defog Pokemon, and it has never made a difference in any of the matches I have played.

Lol this thing is bad until Defiant is released.
Yeah, I don't get it. Why can't it and Oranguru call on their own Species in SOS Battles? Especially Passimian, since teamwork is sort of its thing.

I guess GF just really wants all of this thing's focus to be on Doubles for now, so much so that they are denying its viability in Singles.

I actually think this thing could work pretty well in doubles. Pair it with shedinja, and place the majority of its ev's into bulk and maybe it could be a decent wall. Or maybe if you paired it with mimikyu you could get a free protect. How about swellow, turn it into a guts user? It's got a pretty good attack stat. I just think we shouldn't over look the possible diversity this Pokémon has to offer with its unique ability.

Basically a worse Primeape (Primeape has an ability, this one does not in singles).

When Defiant is released it might be a little more worthwhile to discuss. Also needs some Elemental Punches to go with it, but that won't come until tutors are around.
I mean, Passimian hits harder, is notably tankier, and is only a little slower. They are similar otherwise, in terms of fulfilling similar roles and having similar-ish movepools, but I'd say it's more so the other way around, in terms of who is better.

I actually think this thing could work pretty well in doubles. Pair it with shedinja, and place the majority of its ev's into bulk and maybe it could be a decent wall. Or maybe if you paired it with mimikyu you could get a free protect. How about swellow, turn it into a guts user? It's got a pretty good attack stat. I just think we shouldn't over look the possible diversity this Pokémon has to offer with its unique ability.
Afaik, it can't copy certain abilities, Wonder Guard being one of them. I know I read that before, but I can't remember where, sorry. Same goes for Disguise, and that one is understandable considering Mimikyu's ability includes a "form change".

I LOVE this mon now that I have seen it ingame, its attacking animations fit it so well. But yeah, this one, much like Oranguru just screams outclassed in Singles. In Doubles, it's actually pretty interesting. It gets Quick Guard and Feint for possible supporting purposes and it gets Close Combat + Rock Slide for good offensive coverage. Close Combat in particular is interesting if you Receive Contrary from something like Lurantis, considering it's decently bulky on the physical side. Since I'm playing on cartridge mostly, I'm looking at what the Alola dex offers in terms of Receiver-able abilities: Intimidate is interesting. Contrary is potentially really good. Fur Coat could be nice. Stamina too, but Mudsdale is unlikely to faint before this macaque. Shield Dust allows it to completely ignore Fake Out, and Ribombee can Speed Swap it before fainting, making Passimian into a 120Atk/124Speed demon.

For singles, U-Turn and Low Sweep seem interesting to me. Force something out, Low Sweep the switch in for reduced speed, either keep attacking or U-Turn out for momentum on the switch. But I'm really grasping for straws here. At least it does get Iron Head to make Fairy switch ins shaky. But carrying a useless ability doesn't sit right with me at all.

But who would even use primeape in ou there are better things to use than that
That is the point, it's similar to this already outclassed/unviable pokemon so it was kinda insinuated that this thing won't go far likely as well going to NU unless it holds something worthwhile in RU.

Also banded sets look worthwhile depending on the tier/meta.

....Why are so many posts assuming Defiant is unreleased, including the OP? It's a wild mon in Sun, you can just SOS chain it to get the Hidden Ability. Sure, it's a bother in that you have to check the ability, but it's also a very easy one to check (just lower its stats and see if deviant triggers), but it should be obtainable by now.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
....Why are so many posts assuming Defiant is unreleased, including the OP? It's a wild mon in Sun, you can just SOS chain it to get the Hidden Ability. Sure, it's a bother in that you have to check the ability, but it's also a very easy one to check (just lower its stats and see if deviant triggers), but it should be obtainable by now.
They call for Trumbeak when they SOS. You cannot get Passimian or its other gorilla equivalent through SOS.

Yeah. It's especially funny considering Passimian is supposed to have very strong bonds among each other. It makes sense competitively though. They probably really want Receiver to be relevant in the current VGC instead of a (not cookie cutter but seen before) Defiant build.

I don't know what they expect us to do with Receiver. Belly Drum Azumarill to move Huge Power over if the sweep fails?

That doesn't sound like the worst possible plan, getting a thing with 120-base attack and a STAB Close Combat even more damage, but then they don't give it a better way of dealing with ghosts than Thief. Bleh.

Azumarill, despite being catchable through QR Scans, isn't eligible for VGC, actually, since it's not included in the Alola Dex. Which makes the ability even more dodgy, since there is no Huge Power user in the Alola dex. Contrary, imo, is quite nice because of Close Combat, but it *does* require you to run Lurantis(and with that, definitely TR, possibly Sun). Fur Coat would be great, if Passimian's main STAB wouldn't cripple its defenses.

The real problem with it is that Passimian is 15 base speed below Tapu Lele. The only Tapu it outspeeds is Bulu, who can just tank through whatever Passimian is doing with Horn Leech. Being a liability around the Tapu is a really huge detriment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)