Lower Tiers ORAS RU Role Compendium V2

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i think something that might be a bit more precise and broad in its application might fall under a category of "scald absorbers", since i think this a pretty just segment, given scald is the worst thing ever and should be considered for nearly any team. this might include some more aggressive ones, such as tangrowth / sigilyph / rotom-c (loose check), to lighter stuff like [rest-talk] malamar, [rest-talk / refresh] 'wrath, refresh momo, etc.
Implemented this... to an extent. I would like some feedback on that section since I cheated taking scald as a status to fuse scald and status absorbers section into one since they seemed a bit redundant on my head so I went with some labels to determine the differences. Tagging Ping_Pong_Along since he also showed major interest in this section for potential feedback n_n

Yeah, that's more or less what i meant. You always want to have a mon that can come in and scare out/take advantage of bulky waters, who hasn't made a team that's 6-0ed by jellicent in the past hahaha
Implemented a water-type checks section n_n, went with most of the water checks I know from top of my head.

Shouldn't Mantine be mentioned as a Scald absorber? Also a few things regarding Xatu:
  • Since it gets the oh-so helpful Magic Bounce, shouldn't it receieve some sort of "mention" in status absorbers? I'm not really sure how to put it since it 'reflects' more than absorbs.
  • I think that Xatu could be mentioned as a Haze user and maybe as a Calm Mind sweeper. I'm saying maybe since CM Xatu is mostly outclassed by sigilyph

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Shouldn't Mantine be mentioned as a Scald absorber? Also a few things regarding Xatu:
  • Since it gets the oh-so helpful Magic Bounce, shouldn't it receieve some sort of "mention" in status absorbers? I'm not really sure how to put it since it 'reflects' more than absorbs.
  • I think that Xatu could be mentioned as a Haze user and maybe as a Calm Mind sweeper. I'm saying maybe since CM Xatu is mostly outclassed by sigilyph
Added mantine and xatu, that slipped my mind. Not fully convinced on calm mind xatu on its own so not adding that for now. Thanks for the input n_n

MrAldo

Hey
Lapras has the ability to switch into every bulky water in the tier and being able to check/beat them with STAB freeze-dry and not minding scald thanks to water absorb, can take on samurott and clawitzer 1v1 with no rocks up and stuff. I feel it deserves a mention as a solid offensive water check.

This post summarizes my thoughts about it really well.

Should add this mon as a scald absorber too now that I think about it. And added vileplume to clerics, got ranked so it is good to go.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Lapras has the ability to switch into every bulky water in the tier and being able to check/beat them with STAB freeze-dry and not minding scald thanks to water absorb, can take on samurott and clawitzer 1v1 with no rocks up and stuff. I feel it deserves a mention as a solid offensive water check.

This post summarizes my thoughts about it really well.

Should add this mon as a scald absorber too now that I think about it. And added vileplume to clerics, got ranked so it is good to go.
Vileplume should be added to wallbreakers as well. This sounds dumb, but what even switches into a Life Orb boosted Giga Drain/Sludge Bomb/HP Fire/Sleep Powder off of 110 Special Attack? The answer is basically just Registeel and Bronzong. Offensive Plume's ability to switch into pokemon like Aromatisse and Alomomola for free also make it amazing vs defensive teams.

MrAldo

Hey
Vileplume should be added to wallbreakers as well. This sounds dumb, but what even switches into a Life Orb boosted Giga Drain/Sludge Bomb/HP Fire/Sleep Powder off of 110 Special Attack? The answer is basically just Registeel and Bronzong. Offensive Plume's ability to switch into pokemon like Aromatisse and Alomomola for free also make it amazing vs defensive teams.
Sorry for the late response but wouldnt you have a replay of that set in action?? Not that is necessary but I just want to be certain about it since Ive only heard things about the set in theory. If someone can back up the effectiveness of this set, Ill glady add vileplume to that section

MrAldo

Hey
After watching LO Vileplume in action myself, used by some people, decided to add it to wallbreakers cause the damage output has been pretty impressive.

Thats all for now.

Vileplume to Sun abusers. Piloswine to Priority Users. Samurott to Taunt Users. Seismitoad to Rain Setters. Kabutops to SD users and Hazard Control.

MrAldo

Hey
- No reason to run vileplume on sun when victreebel exists, shiftry and even exeggutor has way more use over vileplume so not adding that
- Piloswine to priority? sure
- Samurott to taunt users? sure
- Seismitoad to rain setters? mmm, not quite sure on this one. I see rain setters as in dedicated mons to set rain for the archetype. I see seismitoad and ludicolo, 2 mons that have space in their moveset to set rain for his own as rain abusers overall.
- Kabutops to SD users and hazard control? sure on the first one and pretty sure kabutops is already on hazard control

Thanks a lot for your input, will be updating shortly n_n

Senpai D.M

さようなら
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
two minor changes I saw while looking at list
cofagrigus toxic spikes and swanna offensive defog user? (a better pelipper imo)

MrAldo

Hey
two minor changes I saw while looking at list
cofagrigus toxic spikes and swanna offensive defog user? (a better pelipper imo)
- I though I did add cofagrigus to toxic spikes o.o fixed
- Added swanna to offensive defog

Thanks for pointing this out n_n

Add Trevenant as status absorber and as offensive Water and Fighting check. This is the set people has claim to be the most usable, if anyone doesn't know:

Trevenant @ Choice Band
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake
- Horn Leech

MrAldo

Hey
Trevenant is present on the status absorbers section, although a bit convoluted, it is there (the general label shows it absorbs any status, thanks to natural cure)

Trevenant only really checks / counters virizion, otherwise it is a really shaky fighting type check. Definitely a good water type check, adding this.

Thanks for the input n_n

MEGA BIG CHILL to Mega Pokemon, SD Sweeper, Wallbreaker, Water Type Check Offensive & Hail Setter

Slowking to: Fire-type Check (def.) & Boosting sweeper w/ CM and NP

MrAldo

Hey
MEGA BIG CHILL to Mega Pokemon, SD Sweeper, Wallbreaker, Water Type Check Offensive & Hail Setter

Slowking to: Fire-type Check (def.) & Boosting sweeper w/ CM and NP
Did this. Also added mega abomasnow to priority. Also added slowking to defensive fighting checks and phazers.

And removed medicham

Thanks for the input n_n

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
Slowking: Defensive Pivot, Stallbreaker, maybe Offensive Pivot with Choice Specs (I'd have to try this out)
Flygon: Phazers

Mega Abomasnow: Broken

Reactions: rau

MrAldo

Hey
Slowking: Defensive Pivot, maybe Offensive Pivot with Choice Specs (I'd have to try this out)
Flygon: Phazers
Did this. Not sure how slowking is a stallbreaker tbh. Nah, lets leave drudd alone, it is obviously more broken. Thanks for the input n_n

General announcement: Revamped the status absorbers section. Now status absorbers and scald switch-ins have their own section. A criteria to recommend something for the status absorber section would be, for example, something like sigilyph (while it despises t-wave, it can switch into toxic and will-o-wisp with no issues).

Rest talk mons does count as status absorbers. While many mons may act as status absorbers virtue of its typing, lets try to be practical on the noms (mega steelix hate burns, mega camel toxic, etc) but if they are rest talk (and are viable movesets they will count)

Thanks for your time n_n

Last edited:

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Stealth rock users
I think Dugtrio and Sandslash might be added to the offensive stealth rock users. Dugtrio usually has a filler slot that change in base of the team, and freeing an entire slot that should've gone for a setter is pretty nice :) Sandslash is listed in the hazard control section, and it has access to stealth rock to so I think it might go
Also you may think to move Piloswine to defensive stealth rock user, I've always seen him as a defensive mon, but you can list him in both of the lists if you want to

Fire checks
For the fire types check I think you can add Qwilfish somewhere. It can't really switch into strong special attacker like doom or delphox, but it is really good at checking Emboar and Fletch. Delphox can be added to offensive checks too I think

Water checks
Both Rotom normal and fan to water type checks, with their rise in usage and viability I think they can have a place there :)

Psychic checks
Slowking to psychic type checks. CM King can setup on many of them and AV can take many hits doing damage back with scald, or just phaze them out with dtail

Scald switchins
I think Abomasnow can be added to this o_o it can still take life back with giga drain and can force out water types that uses that. I'm not too sure on this tho

Setup sweepers
Kabutops and Qwilfish can go in SD. Under rain an sd boost can be really difficult to play around, and at +2 Qwil can OHKO seismi with explosion to let kabutops sweep more easily! Sneasel can have a mention too but I think this might need some discussion before because idk how good is sd sneasel @_@

this is all i think need to be added, feel free to tell me if i'm wrong with something D:

btw remove Medicham from wallbreakers D:

MrAldo

Hey
Stealth rock users
I think Dugtrio and Sandslash might be added to the offensive stealth rock users. Dugtrio usually has a filler slot that change in base of the team, and freeing an entire slot that should've gone for a setter is pretty nice :) Sandslash is listed in the hazard control section, and it has access to stealth rock to so I think it might go
Also you may think to move Piloswine to defensive stealth rock user, I've always seen him as a defensive mon, but you can list him in both of the lists if you want to

Fire checks
For the fire types check I think you can add Qwilfish somewhere. It can't really switch into strong special attacker like doom or delphox, but it is really good at checking Emboar and Fletch. Delphox can be added to offensive checks too I think

Water checks
Both Rotom normal and fan to water type checks, with their rise in usage and viability I think they can have a place there :)

Setup sweepers
Kabutops and Qwilfish can go in SD. Under rain an sd boost can be really difficult to play around, and at +2 Qwil can OHKO seismi with explosion to let kabutops sweep more easily! Sneasel can have a mention too but I think this might need some discussion before because idk how good is sd sneasel @_@

this is all i think need to be added, feel free to tell me if i'm wrong with something D:

btw remove Medicham from wallbreakers D:
Ooops, forgot a medicham in there D: BTW, did all of this.

Dont quite like how slowking sounds as a psychic type answer, phazing isnt really a solution tbh. Also disagree with mega abomasnow on scald switch-ins cause it risks a burn, diminishing ice shard damage output D:

Kind of iffy on rotom-fan as a water check in particular but went ahead and added it anyways.

Thanks a lot for your input n_n

MrAldo

Hey
THREAD REVIVAL FOR AN IMPERATIVE ISSUE!

Base form drops has been implemented and these are the new RU boys for this beautiful christmas month (and medicham returning). Help me find a place on the role compendium for these mons, discuss is they all will become relevant or not and lets welcome them with open arms!

Edit: Oops, forgot sceptile. Thanks slurmz

Last edited:
Absol: Pursuit Trapper, Priority, Offensive Psychic check

Aerodactyl: Offensive Hazard Removal, Offensive Rocker maybe too

Aggron: Defensive? Rocker, Wallbreaker (Band)

Blastoise: Defensive Spinner, Defensive Fire Check, Phazer (idk since it has roar), Scald switchin maybe

Ampharos: Setup sweeper (Agility), probs Wallbreaker

Medicham: Choice Scarf, Wallbreaker, Offensive Pivot, dunno if Priority due to bullet punch and fake out.

Sharpedo: Setup Sweeper (other)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)